TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #31
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
So your argument is that they remain in Fairy Tale Land and not out world? (Just trying to understand your opinion)
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land. Just cursed.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #32
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land. Just cursed.
And you don't believe that Storybrooke is in our world?
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. The only people who have come to Storybrooke from the outside world are relatives of Fairy Tale characters. Pinnochio and Emma would have lived in Fairy Tale Land if they had not been transported out. Henry would have been born there. Thats what allows them to enter Storybrooke. Outsiders don't drive into Storybrooke. Storybrooke is not like the real world where Emma and Pinnochio grew up. It is a cursed place where time didn't even move until Emma showed up. Nobody who was cursed can leave.
Who was driving the bus that Henry used to leave Storybrooke to go to Boston to find Emma? Just the fact that there WAS a bus implies a regular bus route, with people.

Now, you can argue that that's a plot hole if you want, but to argue that Storybrooke isn't a place where people COULD go is silly. At the very least they can make phone calls to there, so the phone company has to have people to run cables, right? Or how else would David's wife have manage to get a job interview out of town?
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The intro is not canon and not written by the writers. It also said only one knows the truth and that wasn't true either. In the real world, does time stand still?
I don't know if time stands still, but my town seems to be about 5 years behind everywhere else.
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #35
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Who was driving the bus that Henry used to leave Storybrooke to go to Boston to find Emma?
Maybe he walked to the outskirts of town and got on the bus there; I don't know.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I don't know if time stands still, but my town seems to be about 5 years behind everywhere else.
Now THAT was funny!
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
And you don't believe that Storybrooke is in our world?
Not anymore than Fairy Tale Land was. Fairy Tale Land turned into Storybrooke when it was cursed.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #38
LooseWiring
Registered User
 
LooseWiring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land. Just cursed.
And what about the fact that Henry, Emma, & August can come and go as they please? And that Pinnochio and Emma, who were transported to "the real world", can just drive/walk/crawl back into it without knowing it?

Not to mention the postal workers & others can just come and go as they please? Or do packages get delivered and telecommunications & power cables get laid all on their own?

The problem is that there are some really severe inconsistencies introduced with the whole concept of there being NO magic in the real world.

If so, what kept this small town LOCATED IN THE REAL WORLD locked in time for 28 years? What kept the real world from noticing a town just appearing all of a sudden?

Too many LOST-style plot holes. Head hurts now...
__________________
Xbox Live gamertag: LooseWiring
LooseWiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
oscarfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Didn't Rumples son use a magic bean to go somewhere without magic? I can't remember exactly what was stated, but I got the impression that it was to our world. If so, then FTL and our world coexist.

And Pinocchio disappeared from the cabinet thing before the curse hit. He had to go somewhere.
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #40
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Okay so this wasn't as bad as I had feared. At least they explained why he was not a part of the curse and could come and go as Emma could. I should have known he'd be the 7 year old. I even remember other people making the comment but for whatever reason my brain was separating the two as either the boy who found her or as Pinocchio. I think Geppetto screwed them all just to save him too. Had he not sent a boy over to make sure Emma came around to save them in 28 years then Snow would have went, right? So she would have just grown up with the truth.

I also assume that August was right, that she's in denial by not seeing his wooden leg. BTW, did they explain how he got the name August? Did he make it up as a boy? Did he make it up as an adult and has another name from when he was in foster care? I'm sure he wasn't all "hey my name is Pinocchio" when he was found. Also how is his eyes so freaking blue as an adult but look brown as a kid? Redhead with freckles as a child now dark hair and blue eyes. Ugh.

And I was about to throw something at the screen when EQ was trying to kiss on David. (yes, I'm going to call her that at will even when she's being Regina because she has her memories so she knows she's the EQ and so do we) I half expected him to go for it as dumb as he is.

And why is MM and Regina playing games? Do they not remember when MM said "I didn't kill Katherine" and Regina said "I know"?? How the hell is Regina trying to be coy about it talking about Sydney confessing? That scene bugged me.

Not enough Gold but I pretty much always think that on episodes that don't feature him. I did enjoy this awesome smirk, so there's that.


__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfish View Post
Didn't Rumples son use a magic bean to go somewhere without magic? I can't remember exactly what was stated, but I got the impression that it was to our world. If so, then FTL and our world coexist.
That's actually evidence that Storybrook is in our world. To get from FTL to our world takes fairly spectacular magic...as far as we know, it's only been accomplished three times...ones with the beans and twice with the cabinet, whose magic was used up by those trips. Plus once for the curse, which apparently destroyed FTL.

Getting from Storybrook to our world is trivial, although the curse seems to make it more difficult for FTL folk to manage. But as LooseWiring points out, the trip is made routinely.

The curse made Storybrook a different kind of place in ways that are not entirely clear. But it IS clear that it is a different kind of place in our world.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The curse made Storybrook a different kind of place in ways that are not entirely clear. But it IS clear that it is a different kind of place in our world.

Thanks! I totally agree and was trying to type a response but you said everything I wanted to say.
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #43
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Storybrooke IS Fairy Tale Land. When Fairy Tale land was cursed, it became Storybrooke. The characters weren't sent to our world. In other words, if the curse were lifted, Storybrooke would fall away and they would be back in Fairy Tale Land, not some town in Maine. Storybrooke is not part of our world, it only exists because of the curse.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #44
oscarfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's actually evidence that Storybrook is in our world. To get from FTL to our world takes fairly spectacular magic...as far as we know, it's only been accomplished three times...ones with the beans and twice with the cabinet, whose magic was used up by those trips. Plus once for the curse, which apparently destroyed FTL.
That's the way it looks to me, but with two not sures. The Mad Hatter didn't use the bean or the cabinet, and do we know the curse destroyed FTL? I have been assuming that FTL was still there, but the people got moved to Storybrooke. If there was no way to get back to FTL, why would the buxom fairy want to send Emma + Snow to our world?
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's actually evidence that Storybrook is in our world. To get from FTL to our world takes fairly spectacular magic...as far as we know, it's only been accomplished three times...ones with the beans and twice with the cabinet, whose magic was used up by those trips. Plus once for the curse, which apparently destroyed FTL.

Getting from Storybrook to our world is trivial, although the curse seems to make it more difficult for FTL folk to manage. But as LooseWiring points out, the trip is made routinely.

The curse made Storybrook a different kind of place in ways that are not entirely clear. But it IS clear that it is a different kind of place in our world.
Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.

Fairy Tale Land is not destroyed, it is cursed. If it were destroyed, these characters would never be able to return once the curse is lifted.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarfish View Post
That's the way it looks to me, but with two not sures. The Mad Hatter didn't use the bean or the cabinet, and do we know the curse destroyed FTL? I have been assuming that FTL was still there, but the people got moved to Storybrooke. If there was no way to get back to FTL, why would the buxom fairy want to send Emma + Snow to our world?
I say "destroyed" because when they showed the curse taking effect, it looked like FTL was being wiped out. My assumption is that FTL will be recreated by the breaking of the curse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.
Wow, you must be living in some kind of fairy-tale land!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #47
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.

Fairy Tale Land is not destroyed, it is cursed. If it were destroyed, these characters would never be able to return once the curse is lifted.
We may be saying almost the same thing. I think the characters that were banished to our world by the curse will either:

1. Return to FTL once the curse is broken
2. Live Happily Ever After in Storybrooke
3. Be able to leave Storybrooke
4. Or some combination of the above based on which character we are talking about.

We just seem to disagree on where Storybrooke is in the current story.
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #48
oscarfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.

Fairy Tale Land is not destroyed, it is cursed. If it were destroyed, these characters would never be able to return once the curse is lifted.
This is not the way I have been thinking about it, but you could be right. You have addressed the issue of where Baelfire was between the time he used the magic bean and when the curse happened.
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #49
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,677
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.

Fairy Tale Land is not destroyed, it is cursed. If it were destroyed, these characters would never be able to return once the curse is lifted.
How do you know this? We have not seen FTL since the swirly winds in the first episode after Emma disappeared into the cabinet. It may be cursed, it may be destroyed, it may look like a hurricane went though... heck, it may not even exist. We have no idea. And we don't know if the characters will ever make it back to FTL.

And honestly, we don't know what Storybrooke is. Between the ambiguous story of "frozen in time" and "our world", and the seeming plot holes of city buses, bosomy fairies, job interviews, bean worlds, wooden legs, and occasional magic... who the hell knows what it all is. I've kind of come up with my personal idea (I'm sure we all have), but I can't prove any of it. I disagree with tiams about 80%, but either of us could be right (or neither of us!).
__________________
TCF Cruise 3 ... where will we be sailing to next?

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #50
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I say "destroyed" because when they showed the curse taking effect, it looked like FTL was being wiped out. My assumption is that FTL will be recreated by the breaking of the curse.

Wow, you must be living in some kind of fairy-tale land!
You don't have to make disparaging remarks about about someone just because you don't agree with them.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #51
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,677
TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, he DID include a smiley face, so I think he was just kidding.
__________________
TCF Cruise 3 ... where will we be sailing to next?

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
He's a jerk.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
You don't have to make disparaging remarks about about someone just because you don't agree with them.
Wow, I guess there's no point engaging with you...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #54
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Well, he DID include a smiley face, so I think he was just kidding.
This. And it's just a TV show.

Debating is half the fun. (Even if you are wrong )

That was also a joke....
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #55
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wow, you must be living in some kind of fairy-tale land!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
He's a jerk.

Please tell me you can see the difference in these two comments.

Rob was teasing you within the world we were debating and you were name calling. Not cool.
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #56
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Okay so this wasn't as bad as I had feared. At least they explained why he was not a part of the curse and could come and go as Emma could. I should have known he'd be the 7 year old. I even remember other people making the comment but for whatever reason my brain was separating the two as either the boy who found her or as Pinocchio. I think Geppetto screwed them all just to save him too. Had he not sent a boy over to make sure Emma came around to save them in 28 years then Snow would have went, right? So she would have just grown up with the truth.
Is it any wonder that Pinocchio has a hard time being brave, truthful and selfless? His father exhibits the opposite of those qualities.

He lied to Snow and Charming in order to save Pinocchio, because he couldn't stand the thought of how hard it would be for him to lose his boy. The entire realm was at danger and he refused to save it, unless he could send the boy. A very selfish act.

Pinocchio is just like his dad.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #57
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Is it any wonder that Pinocchio has a hard time being brave, truthful and selfless? His father exhibits the opposite of those qualities.

He lied to Snow and Charming in order to save Pinocchio, because he couldn't stand the thought of how hard it would be for him to lose his boy. The entire realm was at danger and he refused to save it, unless he could send the boy. A very selfish act.

Pinocchio is just like his dad.
Yes! He even said something to him about it as Geppetto was telling him to get inside the tree.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #58
mike_k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 2,291
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams

Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land are the same place. Fairy Tale Land was cursed.

The only people who left Fairy Tale Land (Baelfire, Pinnochio, Emma) were sent to our world, not Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist before the curse.

Fairy Tale Land is not destroyed, it is cursed. If it were destroyed, these characters would never be able to return once the curse is lifted.
This is what I'm thinking as well. In Storybrooke, we've seen EQ's vault where she keeps the hearts. It was in the graveyard instead of in her castle, but it was the same vault. We've seen a piece of the glass coffin. There is a lot of stuff in Gold's shop from FTL. And it seems clear that Bae, Pinnochio and Emma were not sent to Storybrooke - because it didn't exist yet. I don't think that there is anyone in Storybrooke that is not from FTL. And no one, except those three, can leave - assuming Bae ever makes it to Storybrooke.
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #59
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
This is what I'm thinking as well. In Storybrooke, we've seen EQ's vault where she keeps the hearts. It was in the graveyard instead of in her castle, but it was the same vault. We've seen a piece of the glass coffin. There is a lot of stuff in Gold's shop from FTL. And it seems clear that Bae, Pinnochio and Emma were not sent to Storybrooke - because it didn't exist yet. I don't think that there is anyone in Storybrooke that is not from FTL. And no one, except those three, can leave - assuming Bae ever makes it to Storybrooke.
And the Troll bridge became the Toll bridge.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #60
mike_k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 2,291
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
And the Troll bridge became the Toll bridge.
And the old mines may or may not be the dwarf's mines.
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |