TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #91
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

I just rewatched the episode. One of my favorite parts was Brienne making her vows to protect Lady Stark. That was a just a great scene and a great moment. It was very exciting and full of promise.

For the book readers, there are a few points I wanted to touch on. First on Arya and Jaqen:

Spoiler:
In the books, Arya has someone else killed for her first kill. SHE personally kills the tickler in book 3 along with Polliver (by the Hound). Again I'm sure it is to compress the number of recognizable characters in the show but it was a bit disappointing. Who will we see killed by Arya herself?

And then on Bran in Winterfell:

Spoiler:
I'm disappointed we haven't seen Jojen and Meera Reed yet. At this point it feels like they are going to skip over them, unless they meet them in the woods or the swap when they flee. In this episode it seems that Osha is taking the place of Jojen in regards to knowing things and knowing about Bran's dreams.

audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #92
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvz View Post
I was disappointed that Dany didn't dress in the style of the Qartheen women as described in the book.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #93
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post

And then on Bran in Winterfell:

Spoiler:
I'm disappointed we haven't seen Jojen and Meera Reed yet. At this point it feels like they are going to skip over them, unless they meet them in the woods or the swap when they flee. In this episode it seems that Osha is taking the place of Jojen in regards to knowing things and knowing about Bran's dreams.

Spoiler:
I'll be greatly disappointed if they leave them out. It would also mean that Rickon will probably accompany them them to The Wall and beyond

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #94
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Didn't someone say in an interview that each season would not be equal to a single book? If that's true then they can make however many seasons they want from each book.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #95
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

In my opinion, they'd almost have to follow book two for season two because it ends on some pretty big stuff. Most the books do because GRRM knows how to leave you hanging.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #96
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Spoiler:
I'll be greatly disappointed if they leave them out. It would also mean that Rickon will probably accompany them them to The Wall and beyond
Spoiler:
Yeah. I guess there is still time in the next episode to introduce them, before Theon gets there...

Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #97
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
I guess for me it doesn't bother me much knowing it's coming up, because I already had the effect from reading the book. And I have to admit, I've had times that I've sat there swearing at the book after things happened .

Hmm, pondered putting this in without spoilering it, but there's probably people that would get annoyed. There's no specific spoiler information in what's below, more of a generic comment on the topic of death in this show.

Spoiler:

I do think for those that have played the book you could play a great drinking game. Every time someone comes on screen that is going to die, you take a drink. Not sure anyone would ever make it through an episode though .
This is how I feel, and there are times reading the book where I had to put it down and sit there in shock and disbelief. I still enjoy seeing the events played out though.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #98
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The soap box guy is lucky that none of King Jeffy's minions heard him. They'd cut out his tongue and then start hurting him.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #99
astrohip
Stuart F

Here is what I recall from an interview with the showrunners (not spoilers, just season/book relationships):

This season will be Book Two. But starting next year, they no longer feel the need to be tied book=season. They intend to use two seasons to cover Book Three, and additionally, if they see the need to move certain story points around, they will. IOW, if something from Book Four makes sense to cover in Season Three, they will.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #100
Tracy
Truly

How do the Qartheen women dress in the book? I assume it is naked-ish based on the response, but yet I ask.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #101
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
How do the Qartheen women dress in the book? I assume it is naked-ish based on the response, but yet I ask.
They basically have one breast uncovered. Big opportunity lost HBO!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #102
TonyD79

A typical GoT thread. Starts out talking about the TV show then dissolves into spoilers and non-spoilers about the books.

Can't we just talk about the TV show in a TV forum? The book talk makes a jumble out of the whole thing and makes my head hurt.

I guess I will no longer even open a GoT thread anymore. They are just a waste of time...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #103
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
This is how I feel, and there are times reading the book where I had to put it down and sit there in shock and disbelief. I still enjoy seeing the events played out though.
Ditto. It's fun to see how well they play things out from the books. The book in and of themselves are amazing. There are definitely lots of shockers that have you sitting there going, WHAT?!?!. More so than any other book or series I have read.

I'm usually a watch the show first/ read the book later kind of guy but I'm glad I've read the books beforehand as the stories are so rich and complicated.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #104
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
A typical GoT thread. Starts out talking about the TV show then dissolves into spoilers and non-spoilers about the books.

Can't we just talk about the TV show in a TV forum? The book talk makes a jumble out of the whole thing and makes my head hurt.

I guess I will no longer even open a GoT thread anymore. They are just a waste of time...
It's inevitable with a series of this size that's based on such notable books that you're going to get some crossover.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #105
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:

But there are no spoilers that are visible. I've resigned myself to just having to deal with it and resist the temptation to read them because of how awesome moments like Renly's death are for me not having any clue it's coming.

Plus some people **coughcoughmecough** have a lot to say! Don't not converse with me over the show because others are referring to the book.
(and frankly other than a few spoilers all book talk in here has been legitimate talk I thought)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #106
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post

I was surprised, there was no nudity in this episode. Is that a first?!?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #107
stellie93

I've heard that there is a thread somewhere for book readers, but the only one I found, no one was posting on. Last season I hadn't read the books and liked having those who had here to set us straight on things that were in the episode but hard to pick up. Plus I like the long thread better than 2 short ones.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #108
markb

Quote:

I agree... keep the book discussion out of the TV show thread. It's like there are two threads mixed together here.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #109
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

And I'm the one that got called out about being a spoiler nazi!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #110
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93
I've heard that there is a thread somewhere for book readers, but the only one I found, no one was posting on. Last season I hadn't read the books and liked having those who had here to set us straight on things that were in the episode but hard to pick up. Plus I like the long thread better than 2 short ones.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=468391 is the thread that was intended for allowing book discussion. It is in the Happy Hour section.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #111
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=468391 is the thread that was intended for allowing book discussion. It is in the Happy Hour section.
Except it's not appropriate unless you've read all the books, which many haven't, including myself.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #112
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience

Except it's not appropriate unless you've read all the books, which many haven't, including myself.
So then you should appreciate those of us who HAVEN'T READ ANY OF THE BOOKS.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #113
tiams

Quote:

tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #114
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
That's why there is a spoiler tag...

Enough of the thread derailment. Why don't we discuss the show?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #115
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I don't understand how those that have read the books aren't disappointed watching the show, knowing everything that's coming. If I had known that Renly was bout to bite it and how he would die, I think it would have taken all the awesome impact of it for me. Maybe it's just me.
It's exciting to see how what I read is interpreted on the show. And a friend of mine was telling me he watches with a checklist in mind. Has this happened - check; is Arya saying this - check; did Bran do this - check. We compare notes every Monday morning; he's got an excellent recall of the books and can point out variances that I don't even pick up on.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #116
Rickvz
TiVoholic

I've now watched the whole episode three times and some scenes even more. The Arya scenes seem to get better every time I watch. The stare at the end with Tywin and the conversation with Jaquen are riveting. When I started this thread I thought I was halfway through the episode only to see that it was already 9:50. I can't wait for the next episode, and yet I am afraid it will also be over too soon.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #117
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
I've now watched the whole episode three times and some scenes even more. The Arya scenes seem to get better every time I watch. The stare at the end with Tywin and the conversation with Jaquen are riveting. When I started this thread I thought I was halfway through the episode only to see that it was already 9:50. I can't wait for the next episode, and yet I am afraid it will also be over too soon.
I agree. That was a really great scene. Well done by the actress who plays Arya. She's getting good.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #118
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post

We gotta know! Left or right?
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #119
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Can we guess whether Arya's hit list ends with Tywin or Jeffy? It's gotta be one she was memorizing.

Brother Robb may be close.

BTW, why did Jaquen say he owes her 3 deaths? Because she saved the three? What happened to the maniac?

What about him led the Lannisters to suit him up for their army?
UVerse and OTA

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #120
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
BTW, why did Jaquen say he owes her 3 deaths? Because she saved the three? What happened to the maniac?
Yes, because she saved three lives. He said three lives were due to the Red God and she took them from him, so she has to give them back.

We haven't seen the other two I don't believe.

Last edited by audioscience : 05-02-2012 at 01:59 AM.