TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #91
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think the producers did it as a way to manipulate the game. I think they did it simply to speed things up, because the outcome was inevitable, so they "encouraged" them to head for the FF so the producers wouldn't have to keep the challenges open and have camera crews out there for another several hours.
In an interview they said they estimate they finished about 35-40 minutes to an hour after the border patrol guys. They took the FF chance because they knew that was their only shot. They figured they were pretty much already eliminated with they left the hotel after the fact.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #92
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think the producers did it as a way to manipulate the game. I think they did it simply to speed things up, because the outcome was inevitable, so they "encouraged" them to head for the FF so the producers wouldn't have to keep the challenges open and have camera crews out there for another several hours.
I'd be pissed if the producers coaxed me to take the FF and shave my head if they knew it would not make a difference and only wanted "speed things up".

I assume Mark and Bopper decided to do the FF on their own.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #93
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Heh, well, spoken AS a man who doesn't have a whole lot of hair to lose. I've seen plenty of bald women, from medical patients to women who just like their hair cut "too short", and I don't get the big deal. Self-inflicted baldness is temporary. It grows back.
Sounds like none of the women you've seen actually chose to shave their heads, nor did they keep a shaved head any longer than necessary.

You may not "get it" but baldness is, for women, incrediblly traumatic.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #94
Necromancer2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
Especially when your hair is allowed to define who you are and give you a sense of self-worth!
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Sexist much? Women have no monopoly on that particular bit of silliness.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #96
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
In an interview they said they estimate they finished about 35-40 minutes to an hour after the border patrol guys. They took the FF chance because they knew that was their only shot. They figured they were pretty much already eliminated with they left the hotel after the fact.
It's interesting that they don't actually know how far behind they were. I would think they would have asked Phil or a producer or SOMEONE. They are guessing 35-40 minutes based on the shadow they saw on the mat when they watched the show Sunday night.

And 30-40 minutes for the speed bump. Seems to me (not sure) that many other speed bumps took far less time.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #97
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
And 30-40 minutes for the speed bump. Seems to me (not sure) that many other speed bumps took far less time.
Like 5 minutes in the sauna bus?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #98
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Especially when your hair is allowed to define who you are and give you a sense of self-worth!

Esp since Rachel's hair is so hot.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #99
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Esp since Rachel's hair is so hot.
That's why it's red.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #100
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Even Joyce who did have her head shaved a few seasons ago struggled with it. But she did it and they eventually won the whole race.

My favorite was when the Christian models got to that point and they both (male and female) said they couldn't do it because of their profession. But God sent you to this spot for a reason! He wants you to shave your heads.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #101
Necromancer2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Even Joyce who did have her head shaved a few seasons ago struggled with it. But she did it and they eventually won the whole race.

My favorite was when the Christian models got to that point and they both (male and female) said they couldn't do it because of their profession. But God sent you to this spot for a reason! He wants you to shave your heads.
Yep - they totally missed the message from God about that one!
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #102
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
I wonder if it was a medical thing. Wasn't Mark made to do the skydiving thing in the first or second episode?
He did just have surgery on his knee. Maybe it was that.

Quote:
Men just don't understand about women and their hair.
Superficial women. Only women who care too much about their appearance. Anyone who is in a race and wants to win should do whatever it takes to increase their chances of winning. Hair grows back for goodness sake. Wear a scarf or hat.

I remember one season of The Mole where the task for one woman was to shave her head. She declined and used the excuse that her wedding was coming up. The real reason she didn't do it was she was the Mole.

I didn't watch this episode until tonight and I already knew who was going to be eliminated because stupid Julie Chen told me Mark and Bopper were going to be today's guests on the Talk.

I would have so loved for the second task to be something incredibly time consuming to give mark and Bopper the chance to take the FF and make it to the mat ahead of somebody. Where's the airport equalizer when you really want it???
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #103
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

Superficial women. Only women who care too much about their appearance. Anyone who is in a race and wants to win should do whatever it takes to increase their chances of winning. Hair grows back for goodness sake. Wear a scarf or hat.
I rest my case.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #104
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I rest my case.
...um....I don't think so. He was spot on.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #105
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...um....I don't think so. He was spot on.
I rest my case again.

This is my point, you guys. You don't understand. And you keep proving that you don't understand. It's kind of amusing, actually.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #106
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1

I rest my case again.

This is my point, you guys. You don't understand. And you keep proving that you don't understand. It's kind of amusing, actually.
So you're saying that if someone came to you and offered you a 1 in 4 chance to get a million dollars and all you had to do was shave your head, you wouldn't do it?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #107
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
I rest my case again.

Not all men are that dense - I totally get it.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #108
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
So you're saying that if someone came to you and offered you a 1 in 4 chance to get a million dollars and all you had to do was shave your head, you wouldn't do it?
Personally, I don't know if I would or not. Especially if it was not for a guarantee, only a maybe.

It would certainly be traumatic for me if I did, though.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #109
Jebberwocky!

it was not a 1-4 chance to get a million for a haircut.

It was an offer to cut your hair for 20k. There was no chance that they were going home, none. So in effect they were going for the first place prize, whatever it would be.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #110
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post

It was an offer to cut your hair for 20k. There was no chance that they were going home, none. So in effect they were going for the first place prize, whatever it would be.
Even then, in hindsight it was for $20k, but we all know that more often than not the prizes are usually a trip for 2 somewhere. So when weighing it at the task, I would have been thinking it was an offer to cut my hair for a week vacation.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #111
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Even then, in hindsight it was for $20k, but we all know that more often than not the prizes are usually a trip for 2 somewhere. So when weighing it at the task, I would have been thinking it was an offer to cut my hair for a week vacation.
Not only that, but the tax implications of receiving these trips mean it's often advantageous not to accept the prize at all, so without Rachel knowing ahead of time that the prize for this leg was $10k in her pocket, she was basically just turning down the chance at a trip which she might not be able to afford to keep.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #112
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

And let's not forget that she just won $500,000 just a few months prior to filming this show. I am guessing that the money or prizes for winning individual episodes means that much to her.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #113
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I rest my case again.

You're the one that's amusing, thinking this is a woman thing. It's not.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #114
tiams

Quote:

Yes there was a chance they were going home. When they arrived at the FF they had no idea what the two challenges they would have to do if they didn't do the FF were. Had either one been something that tripped them up and took a lot of time or they were for whatever reason incapable of finishing easily, Mark and Bopper could have conceivably taken the FF and beaten them to the mat. What if their cab broke down along the way? What if they screwed up the directions and got a penalty? What if they screwed up with navigating and went in the wrong direction out of the way and took a lot of time back tracking.

I still say they should have shaved their heads. Period. It's a race and you want to win. If you are so vain you aren't willing shave your head you don't deserve to win.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #115
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
You're the one that's amusing, thinking this is a woman thing. It's not.
I never said it was exclusively a woman thing. We are discussing the effect on women in this particular case.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #116
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I never said it was exclusively a woman thing. We are discussing the effect on women in this particular case.
...and I will say again, being married to a woman who has successfully battled breast cancer, and, in the process lost her hair to chemotherapy, this discussion reveals just how vain some women (and men) are.

XL4
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #117
tiams

Quote:
I'm a woman and I would have shaved my head no question. My competitiveness far outweighs my vanity. And my hair grows back. I would have even shaved my head for a shot at $20,000.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #118
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I'm a woman and I would have shaved my head no question. My competitiveness far outweighs my vanity. And my hair grows back. I would have even shaved my head for a shot at $20,000.
Bazinga! We have a winner!

XL4
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #119
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...and I will say again, being married to a woman who has successfully battled breast cancer, and, in the process lost her hair to chemotherapy, this discussion reveals just how vain some women (and men) are.
I think that's the point Wendiness was trying to make when she said, "I rest my case." She was saying that in response to a post that said, "Superficial women. Only women who care too much about their appearance." I think her point is that most women fall into the description of superficial, vain, and caring too much about their appearance.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #120
laria
Librocubicularist

I guess I am just superficial and vain.

Way to judge.