TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #61
sushikitten
Exhausted mama
 
sushikitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC-ish Suburbia
Posts: 25,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93
I think it's unfair to have the shave-your-head thing if there some teams who are all male. It's like having some physically heavy lifting thing that a woman could barely be expected to do and then letting all male teams zip right through it. If all the teams have at least 1 woman on them, then that would be ok.
You could technically say the same thing about dancing or balance challenges for girl teams. It's luck of the draw.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #62
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,608
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think it's unfair to have the shave-your-head thing if there some teams who are all male.
Wow, sexist much? Women can shave their heads just like men can, especially when it's for a million dollars.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #63
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 11,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What matters is that the previews gave away a very key piece of information, which I would argue was going too far, even for a preview.
Unless, of course, they didn't, which is typical TAR preview behavior. For example,
Spoiler:
perhaps every team gets turned back.

Often (just about always) what they telegraph occurs as depicted but in a different context than one assumes. So I'm waiting to see how what they show isn't really a spoiler after all. Because I'll bet it isn't.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #64
TomK
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 2,610
Rachel said she needed her hair to make herself look beautiful. In my opinion, she needs a lot more than hair to do that.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #65
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Unless, of course, they didn't, which is typical TAR preview behavior. For example,
Spoiler:
perhaps every team gets turned back.

Often (just about always) what they telegraph occurs as depicted but in a different context than one assumes. So I'm waiting to see how what they show isn't really a spoiler after all. Because I'll bet it isn't.
Even if what you said in your spoiler does happen, that doesn't change the fact that the preview still gives away way too much. It alters the way you would be watching as the first team approaches the finish line, which ruins the show, IMO.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #66
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Even if what you said in your spoiler does happen, that doesn't change the fact that the preview still gives away way too much. It alters the way you would be watching as the first team approaches the finish line, which ruins the show, IMO.
Crap, this race has already been ruined with the KY boys eliminated...
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #67
zuko3984
Registered User
 
zuko3984's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Wow, sexist much? Women can shave their heads just like men can, especially when it's for a million dollars.
It's not for a million dollars, it's for a chance at a million dollars. I think that is a huge difference. If it was shave your head and you get the million i think she might have gone through with it. But as it was shaving her head would not have even guaranteed them winning the leg of the race.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zuko3984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #68
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Ah the Race is an hard master. Would've been an all time TAR moment if BB had missed a wheelbarrel of elephant dung.
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but that was weird. Even Rachel's statements and the overlays at first seemed to agree that she thought they had done more than they had actually done..

Clever/tricky/manipulative editing? I guess so.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #69
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think it's unfair to have the shave-your-head thing if there some teams who are all male. It's like having some physically heavy lifting thing that a woman could barely be expected to do and then letting all male teams zip right through it.
Like the circus bell-ringing thing that Tiffany Michelle & her partner got stuck on? (and at least Tiffany is BIG/strong.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #70
jradosh
Newlywed
 
jradosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Herndon, VA, USA
Posts: 17,138
I give Vanessa props for taking a nasty tumble and then getting up and keeping on. She left a good patch of skin on the pavement. (maybe it was synthetic skin? )

Of course I also noticed she wasn't limping much at the pit stop, so she couldn't have twisted her ankle very much.

Oh well... I guess I have to root for the Army couple now.
__________________
____________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #71
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
...Of course I also noticed she wasn't limping much at the pit stop, so she couldn't have twisted her ankle very much...
But, but, but...."I heard something pop!".....
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #72
jradosh
Newlywed
 
jradosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Herndon, VA, USA
Posts: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But, but, but...."I heard something pop!".....
She did land partly on her chest...
__________________
____________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #73
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 24,177
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
She did land partly on her chest...


Actually the way she was holding her shoulder I thought she had broken her collar bone. That would have probably been race-ending.
__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #74
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,608
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But, but, but...."I heard something pop!".....
I think that was her ego.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #75
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,608
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuko3984 View Post
It's not for a million dollars, it's for a chance at a million dollars. I think that is a huge difference. If it was shave your head and you get the million i think she might have gone through with it. But as it was shaving her head would not have even guaranteed them winning the leg of the race.
True, but if you go for the Fast Forward and then pass it up, you have wasted a lot of time. In this case it didn't matter, but if it's a leg where the teams are bunched up and every task is first in first out, that can cost you the race. Zero chance at a million dollars.

They were early enough in the leg that they would have been probly 95-100% sure that they'd come in first. Big trip, or in this case $20,000. And first out of the gate the next leg. To me that's worth shaving a head.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #76
Jebberwocky!
Guest
 
Jebberwocky!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
They were early enough in the leg that they would have been probly 95-100% sure that they'd come in first. Big trip, or in this case $20,000. And first out of the gate the next leg. To me that's worth shaving a head.
Spoken like a man
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #77
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
She did land partly on her chest...
I hereby crown this THE post of this thread....
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #78
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post


Actually the way she was holding her shoulder I thought she had broken her collar bone. That would have probably been race-ending.
From the preview last week, I thought she had dislocated her shoulder. That hurts like hell.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #79
JFriday
"Just The Facts"
 
JFriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 12,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
True, but if you go for the Fast Forward and then pass it up, you have wasted a lot of time. In this case it didn't matter, but if it's a leg where the teams are bunched up and every task is first in first out, that can cost you the race. Zero chance at a million dollars.

They were early enough in the leg that they would have been probly 95-100% sure that they'd come in first. Big trip, or in this case $20,000. And first out of the gate the next leg. To me that's worth shaving a head.
I wonder if knowing Mark and Bopper starting so far behind them factored into their decision. Perhaps they deteremined (rightly so) that they weren't going to get eliminated but the reward of winning the leg wasn't worth shaving their hair.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #80
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident
 
DavidTigerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 9,633
Spoiler:
Just a little info on the locations. I could tell from previews that the Japan leg is in Tokyo (Imperial Gardens) and the Hawaii one is near Waikiki as the towers that they were rappelling down are near downtown.

__________________
The invasion is complete. :D

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #81
tem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
From the preview last week, I thought she had dislocated her shoulder. That hurts like hell.
I thought she blew her achilles.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #82
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
Men just don't understand about women and their hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
As the husband of a wife who's gone through losing her hair due to chemo from breast cancer treatment, I can say that there are FAR worse things than losing your hair. While not technically her choice, it's a small price to pay...
I have no problem with someone not wanting to shave their head. I have a problem with her crying and talking about how she needs her hair to make her pretty. And that's mainly because it was just the reason of the week for her to cry. I am tired of her crying.

My dad worked with a lady who lost her hair to chemo. The day she returned to work with no hair, my dad had also shaved his head so that she would not be alone. He got nothing for that except her appreciation. I thought that was awesome on his part!
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #83
Skyler
Registered User
 
Skyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I give Vanessa props for taking a nasty tumble and then getting up and keeping on.
The camera person was running very close behind Vanessa when she fell. I wonder if the camera person's foot snagged Vanessa's ankle and caused the fall?
Skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #84
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,608
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
Spoken like a man
Heh, well, spoken AS a man who doesn't have a whole lot of hair to lose. I've seen plenty of bald women, from medical patients to women who just like their hair cut "too short", and I don't get the big deal. Self-inflicted baldness is temporary. It grows back.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #85
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,608
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
The camera person was running very close behind Vanessa when she fell. I wonder if the camera person's foot snagged Vanessa's ankle and caused the fall?
It didn't look like it... I would expect the camera to jerk around if the carrier got tangled with someone.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #86
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,308
TC CLUB MEMBER
I played back Vanessa's fall several times because I was sure I heard a 'pop' sound, too, and the replays listening for it confirmed that. My immediate thought was, "Was that pop real, or editor's enhancement?"
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #87
gschrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: holt, mi
Posts: 714
For those that think it had to be producers manipulating to get the kentucky guys to go to the FF, personally, if I was in the same position they were, knowing I was probably almost impossibly behind, I'd likely swing by the FF just to see if it was still doable. Realistically, it was the only chance they had of catching up (although obviously, even that wasn't enough). So to me, it made perfect sense.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #88
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
For those that think it had to be producers manipulating to get the kentucky guys to go to the FF, personally, if I was in the same position they were, knowing I was probably almost impossibly behind, I'd likely swing by the FF just to see if it was still doable. Realistically, it was the only chance they had of catching up (although obviously, even that wasn't enough). So to me, it made perfect sense.
I don't think the producers did it as a way to manipulate the game. I think they did it simply to speed things up, because the outcome was inevitable, so they "encouraged" them to head for the FF so the producers wouldn't have to keep the challenges open and have camera crews out there for another several hours.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #89
ElJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
So to me, it made perfect sense.
I agree. They were so far behind I thought it would've been odd if they hadn't checked out the fast forward first.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #90
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
The camera person was running very close behind Vanessa when she fell. I wonder if the camera person's foot snagged Vanessa's ankle and caused the fall?
I was wondering if it was the CAMERA that bumped into her. (From the various outtakes on other reality shows, esp Real World, which obviously has much less running around, it happens a lot.)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |