TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
sasjzl

Series 1 with lifetime subscription

Folks, I am brand new to TiVo and have stumbled across a Series 1 Sony SVR-2000 with a lifetime subscription.

First issue is that I do not have a land phone line and I see no way to get this on my LAN, wireless or not. If there is any way to do that I would love to know.
If I take this over to my neighbors house and hook it up to a phone line I assume I will be able to run through the setup but will I have to do that every 30 days to be able to get program information?

Second issue I will keep short because if there is no answer for the first I am Dead In Water. IF I can get through the setup, can I use this with my Zenith
DTT 901 TV converter box to change channels with an IR blaster or can I fool the Tivo into thinking that this is a cable box of some sort. I think I remember seeing that this Converter box can work as if it was a specific kind to cable box.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
sasjzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasjzl View Post
Folks, I am brand new to TiVo and have stumbled across a Series 1 Sony SVR-2000 with a lifetime subscription.

First issue is that I do not have a land phone line and I see no way to get this on my LAN, wireless or not. If there is any way to do that I would love to know.
If I take this over to my neighbors house and hook it up to a phone line I assume I will be able to run through the setup but will I have to do that every 30 days to be able to get program information?

Second issue I will keep short because if there is no answer for the first I am Dead In Water. IF I can get through the setup, can I use this with my Zenith
DTT 901 TV converter box to change channels with an IR blaster or can I fool the Tivo into thinking that this is a cable box of some sort. I think I remember seeing that this Converter box can work as if it was a specific kind to cable box.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
I'm only familiar with the Philips S1 version but I suspect there are some similarities that might impact your situation. First, the Program Guide data is good for, at most, 14 days, not 30. The IR blaster would likely work if you can find the correct code in the Tivo list. Maybe someone who has that converter box will know if there is a code that works. Now for getting updates. I think that I read somewhere that the Turbonet card will work with any S1 unit. I know it works for the Philips units. It plugs into the maintenance connector on the motherboard and provides an ethernet connection. You need to give the Tivo a dialing prefix of ,#401 for it to work. The other possible method is to use the serial port on the Tivo to do PPP with your computer. Hopefully someone with more direct experience with the Sony will have answers as well.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
The TurboNet card or the Cache Card (basically a TurboNet with a DIMM socket that'll take up to a 512MB stick) will work inside a Series 1 Sony just the same as inside a Series 1 Philips.

If you have a computer with a serial port (old school 9 pin, not USB) near where you'll have the TiVo set up, then ppp to use the computer's broadband connection may be the way to go.

As for using it with a "coupon box", I haven't had occasion to play around with that yet, but I can tell you that you can do Guided Setup and lie about having satellite service (tell it DirecTV and you get a Channel 1),and you can go from the yellow, white, red output jacks of the Zenith to the TiVo's line inputs, and putting the TiVo on channel 1 will give you whatever's coming out of the Zenith.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
unitron

You may find this

http://www.gratisoft.us/tivo/dtv.html

helpful.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I have Sony 2000 with a Turbonet card. I set the Tivo up so it thinks it is using cable and am using a DTV Pal TR-40 converter box. The Tivo can't tune the dash channels like 7-2, but it will do others. The channel line up isn't correct either but some of them are correct. The Tivo works fine with controlling the converter box. I used the 'dishTV' for the type of box. Don't set the box up for 'antenna' or it will have the channel lineup only the ultra low power stations that are worthless.
I have Zenith DTT 901 TV converter boxes but don't remember if I was ever able to get them to work on the Series 1. (I have all Premieres and Series 2 with lifetime that I am currently using, so don't use any of the Series 1s that I own. I plan to sell them on here or ebay.)

You might consider selling your Tivo and getting a Series 2 with lifetime to avoid all the problems with the programing on the Series 1 that you have to put up with. For some reason the price is not that much different. I don't understand that, but if you look on completed listings you'll see that it is true sometimes. If the Sonys' lifetime was purchased before January 2000 then you might be able to transfer the lifetime to a Premiere. That would be your 'best case scenario'.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
ggieseke

For a Zenith converter, tell it you have a satellite box from LG.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Speed Daemon

Re: Series 1 Networking

If your modem works, you can use it with some VoIP phone adapters. Vonage is your best bet in this area since they actually support data/fax modems with their service. By now there may be some small VoIP providers left that could offer better modem support than I got ten years ago when I last tried it.

Using PPP is an option, but it's a bit technical for some. Not only do you need a real serial port, which is becoming more rare on new PCs, but you need to configure routing on your computer.

The TiVoNet, Turbonet and Chachcard Ethernet adapters require for you to open up the box, which could void your warranty! LOL But once installed they're a "set it and forget it" solution. IIRC, the setup boot disc they use is a breeze to use.

I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner.
Speed Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
sasjzl

Hi Speed Daemon,

You wrote:
"I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner."

Thanks for responding so quickly. This forum is excellent.

I would be very interested in any spare Tcards you might have that would allow me to connect my TiVo
up with my Windows 7 pc. My understanding is that I still need to remove the hard drive and attach it
to a pc that can boot from the CD to get some essential software on there? I think I could handle that. I have used
Unix/Linux but I am much more familiar with Windows. It would be great not to have my heart in my throat while
running Linux commands.

If it is possible I would like to get the wireless card but I will take whatever I can get.

Also if you have an IR blaster that would probably get me launched into Tivo world relatively painlessly.
Although as we both know all too well none of this is ever as painless as we might predict.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Speed Daemon

Quote:
Hi Speed Daemon,

You wrote:
"I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner." ... I would be very interested in any spare Tcards you might have...
Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!

BTW, can anybody else here confirm that the Sony SVR-2000 is physically compatible with all of the 9th Tee adapters? "Measure twice, cut once."

Quote:
...that would allow me to connect my TiVo up with my Windows 7 pc.
Your first post says that you need to update Program Guide data. Is your PC the only thing that makes up your LAN, aside from the Internet source? Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?

Quote:
My understanding is that I still need to remove the hard drive and attach it
to a pc that can boot from the CD to get some essential software on there? I think I could handle that. I have used Unix/Linux but I am much more familiar with Windows. It would be great not to have my heart in my throat while running Linux commands.
Well, it's probably better to have your heart in your throat while doing anything that might trash a system drive. Overconfidence kills more computers than over-caution.

It's been a long time, but IIRC the boot disc uses a menu system that's a lot like a DOS setup program. Just to be safe, when you open your computer to install the TiVo HD, unplug all internal drives except for the disc drive. That will make it physically impossible to accidentally trash the Windows drive(s), and make it easier to identify the TiVo drive.

Quote:
If it is possible I would like to get the wireless card but I will take whatever I can get.
I don't have any wireless stuff myself. Is someone else who knows deep down inside that they'll never use their wireless adapter again wants to help out, feel free!

Quote:
Also if you have an IR blaster that would probably get me launched into Tivo world relatively painlessly.
I'll keep an eye peeled for one.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Hi Speed Daemon,

You wrote:
"I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner."

Thanks for responding so quickly. This forum is excellent.

I would be very interested in any spare Tcards you might have that would allow me to connect my TiVo
up with my Windows 7 pc. My understanding is that I still need to remove the hard drive and attach it
to a pc that can boot from the CD to get some essential software on there? I think I could handle that. I have used
Unix/Linux but I am much more familiar with Windows. It would be great not to have my heart in my throat while
running Linux commands.

Although as we both know all too well none of this is ever as painless as we might predict.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
The Turbonet card is directly supported in SW version 3.0 for the Philips S1. If that is the same version running on the Sony, then no need to do a kernal update on the hard drive. As for PPP (if you want to try it), I was able to use the Tivo serial cable with a serial to USB adapter cable and my netbook computer. I think I have an IR blaster in my spare cables box. If so, you can have it for the price of postage.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Speed Daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
The Turbonet card is directly supported in SW version 3.0 for the Philips S1. If that is the same version running on the Sony, then no need to do a kernal update on the hard drive. As for PPP (if you want to try it), I was able to use the Tivo serial cable with a serial to USB adapter cable and my netbook computer. I think I have an IR blaster in my spare cables box. If so, you can have it for the price of postage.
*groan* Your post just brought back the memory of trying to use the TRS to DE-9 cable with a computer. At the time I had a need for the full DB-25 pin set, so my computer had a DB-25 connector. What could have been an easy install was complicated by the need to string together something like two adapters and a gender changer before it finally worked. Oh how I'd love to have started with a simple USB plug!

So the TurboNet is probably the best one to send? I thought it was Providence that, right after posting before, I spied one original TiVoNet adapter with the same NE2000 card that came with it in plain sight in the box of Ethernet cables that I was reaching into. Now if I can find the matching box of PCI cards, I might find the TurboNets...
Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
sasjzl

Speed Daemon,

I am such a tenderfoot that I do not have the 10 posts necessary to send you a personal messsage. I am hoping you can send me a PM?

I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
*groan* Your post just brought back the memory of trying to use the TRS to DE-9 cable with a computer. At the time I had a need for the full DB-25 pin set, so my computer had a DB-25 connector. What could have been an easy install was complicated by the need to string together something like two adapters and a gender changer before it finally worked. Oh how I'd love to have started with a simple USB plug!

So the TurboNet is probably the best one to send? I thought it was Providence that, right after posting before, I spied one original TiVoNet adapter with the same NE2000 card that came with it in plain sight in the box of Ethernet cables that I was reaching into. Now if I can find the matching box of PCI cards, I might find the TurboNets...
Oh yeah? Well when I started playing with computers we not only had to make our own serial and parallel cables, we also had to make the ports to hook them to. And we liked it that way....
Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
sasjzl

Tivo Series 2 Sony SVR-2000

Version 3.0-01-1-010

Tivo Service number 010-0000-501E-4B10
Tivo Account status 5:Product Lifetime Serivce

GC: Tuesday, Nov 5 at 9:34am
Dial in configuration code 000,TFA=0
Remote address: 1
Ir controller version 00034
Ir Database Version 86

Converter box ---------------------- IR Code
Zenith DTT900 and DTT 901 ---------- 10090

Does anyone know a better code / setup for getting
the Zenith DTT-901 to work with a Series 2 DT? I am currently trying code 10075-B.
I hope to simply get rid of the leading zero.

I've been using a Zenith DTT901 with a Series 2 TiVo (currently running v9.3.1) for nearly three months now and every channel change has been flawless. [The only exception is doing rapid channel up/down's on the remote control without waiting for each one to complete. This is a known limitation in the current implementation.]

Make sure you have the IR blaster centered between the right edge of the power light and the channel down button (I haven't found the positioning to be at all critical).

I'm extremely happy with the Zenith DTT901/TiVo Series 2 combination.

Hi Speed Daemon,

Thanks for all the attention.

"Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!"

Wireless LAN with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and an Android tablet. TomatoUSB is what I am running on my Linksys wrt160v3 router.

All of my pc's run Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have one laptop dedicated to the one TV that I have. It is an older Gateway with 2 gb (that I will soon be upgrading to 4 gb).

1.67 Ghz Intel 32 bit is on the dedicated laptop.
I have an old 32" CRT tv and the connection from my laptop to the TV is S-Video and a mini-plug that goes to my receiver.
=======================
"Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?"

One ethernet port on the dedicated laptop and at least 3 open on the router.

Tivo Series 1 - Sony DVR-2000
Version 3.0-01-1-010

Ir Database Version 86

Tell me if you need any other information.

Thanks very, very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
sasjzl

Strike that last post

Strike that last post. My cut and paste skills are really hurting.

Let me try this again:
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Speed Daemon,

Thanks for all the attention.

"Hi Jim! This is a conversation that I'd rather take up with Private Messages. PM me with a reminder of what you have, and what you need to accomplish. Thanks!"

Wireless LAN with 3 laptops, 1 desktop and an Android tablet. TomatoUSB is what I am running on my Linksys wrt160v3 router.

All of my pc's run Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have one laptop dedicated to the one TV that I have. It is an older Gateway with 2 gb (that I will soon be upgrading to 4 gb).

1.67 Ghz Intel 32 bit is on the dedicated laptop.
I have an old 32" CRT tv and the connection from my laptop to the TV is S-Video and a mini-plug that goes to my receiver.
=======================
"Do you have a router or anything with a free Ethernet port?"

One ethernet port on the dedicated laptop and at least 3 open on the router.

Tivo Series 1 - Sony DVR-2000
Version 3.0-01-1-010

Ir Database Version 86

Tell me if you need any other information.

Thanks very, very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
ggieseke

Quote:
BTW, can anybody else here confirm that the Sony SVR-2000 is physically compatible with all of the 9th Tee adapters? "Measure twice, cut once."
The original version with a separate NE2000 card and the newer all-in-one TurboNET cards both work fine in the SVR-2000. Since the S1 is already on version 3 no setup is required except the dialing prefix.

Using it for anything but guide updates is a completely different matter. You have to hack it to get telnet working and install additional software like mfs_ftp or tyTools.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
sasjzl

Hi Speed Daemon,

Are you still out there?
This is my7th post so only 3 more and I can actually message you.

Can you message me with your email address?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
sasjzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The original version with a separate NE2000 card and the newer all-in-one TurboNET cards both work fine in the SVR-2000. Since the S1 is already on version 3 no setup is required except the dialing prefix.

Using it for anything but guide updates is a completely different matter. You have to hack it to get telnet working and install additional software like mfs_ftp or tyTools.

So if I got a hold of a tivonet, turbonet or ne2000 card I would not even have to bust open the TIVO to get the hard drive upgraded?

Also, I assume that there are advantages to using the tivonet or turbonet cards over the NE2000, or no?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
So if I got a hold of a tivonet, turbonet or ne2000 card I would not even have to bust open the TIVO to get the hard drive upgraded?

Also, I assume that there are advantages to using the tivonet or turbonet cards over the NE2000, or no?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Well, as long as you have to take the cover off of the TiVo (you'll need a rubber hammer) in order to lift one corner of the motherboard to push the network card onto the motherboard's edge connector...

When you say "get the hard drive upgraded", do you mean install a newer verision of the TiVo software that's already on their, or actually put in a hard drive with greater capacity?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
sasjzl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, as long as you have to take the cover off of the TiVo (you'll need a rubber hammer) in order to lift one corner of the motherboard to push the network card onto the motherboard's edge connector...

When you say "get the hard drive upgraded", do you mean install a newer verision of the TiVo software that's already on their, or actually put in a hard drive with greater capacity?
I am wondering if I need to make any software changes on the hard drive. Remembering that all I want to do is to allow my TiVo to 'phone home' via the ethernet connection to my laptop PC Windows 7 box. I am find with getting the cover off and installing the card I just wanted to know if it was necessary to remove the drive. It sounds like it is not necessary as long as all I want to do is to be able to 'phone home' through my LAN and laptop.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
I am wondering if I need to make any software changes on the hard drive. Remembering that all I want to do is to allow my TiVo to 'phone home' via the ethernet connection to my laptop PC Windows 7 box. I am find with getting the cover off and installing the card I just wanted to know if it was necessary to remove the drive. It sounds like it is not necessary as long as all I want to do is to be able to 'phone home' through my LAN and laptop.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
You can use the serial port on the back of the TiVo, along with the right kind of cable, to connect to a serial port on the computer, if it has one (not USB, but the old 9 pin kind) and use ppp to let the TiVo use the computer's broadband connection.

If you want the TiVo to have its own broadband connection you'll need to open it up and put in the TurboNet card or whatever, and then you'll need to run an Ethernet cable from the TiVo to your router.

You'll need to already have version 3 of the TiVo operating software on the TiVo, but unless it was taken out of service a long time ago, it probably already does.

You can go to the TiVo's system information page, in the messages and setting menu, and see which version of the software it's runnning.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
ggieseke

Quote:

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
The original TurboNET card was basically an adapter that plugged into the edge connector on the TiVo motherboard and provided a slot for a NE2000 compatible network card. The new model is much smaller and completely self contained. Both of them work well, but the old ones were pretty easy to dislodge.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
classicsat
Astute User

I am going to clarify, or confuse.

TiVonet is an adapter card to use a then commodity IC ISA bus NE2000 compatible NIC.

Turbonet (and its clones) is a NIC itself, using and ASIX chip. It is notably faster than a Tivonet with NIC (speed only matters if you transfer recordings).

Cachecard is NIC + RAM slot. The cachecard NIC is even faster.

Aircard is an adapter to use certain laptop PCMCIA NICs, to get WiFi for the Series 1 TiVo.

Cachecard and Aircard require you modify the TiVo software to add drivers. TiVonet and Turbonet software come directly in Version 3 Tivo software, requiring only the dial prefix change.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
sasjzl

If anyone has a TivoNet, Turbonet, Aircard or Cachecard that is not in use I would be very interested in buying the same.

Please PM within

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
If anyone has a TivoNet, Turbonet, Aircard or Cachecard that is not in use I would be very interested in buying the same.

Please PM within

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Now that you have 10 posts you can PM Speed Daemon. Sounded like he had a box full of them. If that doesn't work I might be willing to pull one out of the S1 I plan to retire after I receive the S2 I just bought.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
sasjzl

Smile

Only one more post and I am free at last.

Jim Lee
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Lowella

Tivo Series 1 won't boot

Quote:
If your modem works, you can use it with some VoIP phone adapters. Vonage is your best bet in this area since they actually support data/fax modems with their service. By now there may be some small VoIP providers left that could offer better modem support than I got ten years ago when I last tried it.

Using PPP is an option, but it's a bit technical for some. Not only do you need a real serial port, which is becoming more rare on new PCs, but you need to configure routing on your computer.

The TiVoNet, Turbonet and Chachcard Ethernet adapters require for you to open up the box, which could void your warranty! LOL But once installed they're a "set it and forget it" solution. IIRC, the setup boot disc they use is a breeze to use.

I have some spare cards. Not to solicit business here, but I would like the extras to help another S1 owner.
I have a Philips Series 1 Tivo that I've been trying to connect to an Airnet card I purchased over a year ago (see my posts on this topic). Whenever I install the card, though, the Tivo doesn't boot. There's no response at all; no fan, no lights. The wireless adapter in the Airnet card does have a light, but the Tivo won't do anything. Do you have any idea what might be happening? If you still have a spare Turbonet card I'd be interested in trying it to see if it will work. I would then connect it to a wireless router acting as a bridge to my wireless U-verse modem. Do you see any problem with doing that? Would you be willing to send me a card to try?

Lowell
Lowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowella View Post
I have a Philips Series 1 Tivo that I've been trying to connect to an Airnet card I purchased over a year ago (see my posts on this topic). Whenever I install the card, though, the Tivo doesn't boot. There's no response at all; no fan, no lights. The wireless adapter in the Airnet card does have a light, but the Tivo won't do anything. Do you have any idea what might be happening? If you still have a spare Turbonet card I'd be interested in trying it to see if it will work. I would then connect it to a wireless router acting as a bridge to my wireless U-verse modem. Do you see any problem with doing that? Would you be willing to send me a card to try?

Lowell
Why don't you find someone (not me) familiar with the airnet card willing to test it for you on a different S1?

It sounds like the card is overdrawing from the power supply.

Try booting the TiVo with the card installed but the hard drive power and data cables not connected. See if you get the welcome screen. Without a hard drive it won't go any farther than that, but we'll learn something.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Lowella

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Why don't you find someone (not me) familiar with the airnet card willing to test it for you on a different S1?

It sounds like the card is overdrawing from the power supply.

Try booting the TiVo with the card installed but the hard drive power and data cables not connected. See if you get the welcome screen. Without a hard drive it won't go any farther than that, but we'll learn something.
Thanks for the suggestion on booting the Tivo with the card in and the hard drive not installed. I tried that and got the same response as with the hard drive installed. The Tivo did not start up at all - no lights or fan - and it did not get to the startup screen. There was a little stuff at the top of the screen on the TV - just a line or two of what looked like garbage, but no response otherwise.

I'd love to find someone more familiar with the Airnet card, but I haven't been able to get anyone here to tell me more. I'm thinking, too, that the Airnet card may be defective, but I don't know who to turn to for any testing. I can't find anything on the 9th tee site. Got any ideas?

Lowell

p.s. I've almost got enough posts for a PM, but not yet...
Lowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowella View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on booting the Tivo with the card in and the hard drive not installed. I tried that and got the same response as with the hard drive installed. The Tivo did not start up at all - no lights or fan - and it did not get to the startup screen. There was a little stuff at the top of the screen on the TV - just a line or two of what looked like garbage, but no response otherwise.

I'd love to find someone more familiar with the Airnet card, but I haven't been able to get anyone here to tell me more. I'm thinking, too, that the Airnet card may be defective, but I don't know who to turn to for any testing. I can't find anything on the 9th tee site. Got any ideas?

Lowell

p.s. I've almost got enough posts for a PM, but not yet...
It could be that there's something wrong with the card that causes it to draw too much power to leave enough for the TiVo, or it could be that the power supply is marginal and the card is the straw that breaks the camel's back, although if it can power the hard drive and the motherboard with the card not plugged onto the motherboard, but can't power the motherboard and the card with the hard drive not connected, well, I'd think the hard drive draws more power than a properly functioning airnet card.

You could try booting with both the drive and the card connected and put the fingers of only one hand on top to the hard drive to see if you can feel any vibration to see if it spins up while keeping the other hand in your pocket.

When you report the results of that, you'll probably have enough posts.