TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
bentleya

Corrupt Startup Video

I have a Sony Series 2 SVR-3000 that had a bad hard drive. I was able to migrate the system to a new drive but the opening video got corrupted. It skips twice every time I reboot and being the IT guy it just bugs me! Is there any way to restore the opening video to it's original status? I am getting ready to replace the drive again because I think the new drive may be developing bad sectors again. Some of the recordings lately have been skipping and I seem to remember it rebooting and doing the blue screen fix on this unit.

Quick second question going to upgrade it to a 250 gb drive any slow down problems? I would rather have a faster system then a slow system with a lot of tivo suggestions.
bentleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
I have a Sony Series 2 SVR-3000 that had a bad hard drive. I was able to migrate the system to a new drive but the opening video got corrupted. It skips twice every time I reboot and being the IT guy it just bugs me! Is there any way to restore the opening video to it's original status? I am getting ready to replace the drive again because I think the new drive may be developing bad sectors again. Some of the recordings lately have been skipping and I seem to remember it rebooting and doing the blue screen fix on this unit.

Quick second question going to upgrade it to a 250 gb drive any slow down problems? I would rather have a faster system then a slow system with a lot of tivo suggestions.
You don't say what kind of drive you currently have in the box. If it is a SATA drive, do you have a known usable SATA to IDE adapter? I can vouch for the fact that some adapters cause intermittant problems. There is a sticky in this Forum on usable combinations. Not sure why you think a 250GB drive might slow down your system. I've used 250GB and 320GB drives in a couple of S2 boxes and they seem to work the same as with the stock drives.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
bentleya

The current drive is an EIDE the video has been bad since I transferred from the old drive but everything worked. Only recently have I seen jumpy recordings which led me to think that it is going bad. I will probably test it to make sure but I figure if I am going to yank it out to test it why not upgrade the size a little.

Is there a difference from using a sata? I am a little wary of using converters. I mean if SATA would improve the performance I would definitively look into it but the drive I am going to put into it is a WD2500 WD2500JB. Enchanced IDE 8mb buffer 7200 rpm. It is an older drive I had lying around that I have used on one of my computers at some point. I ran WD tools on it the short test and long test passed so I figured it is probably good to go. I have an un-used 160 mb ide drive as well if the 250 is no good.

I would even consider doing a total reload from image if I could get my hands on one if that would fix the problem. I assume I would need a image from before it got corrupted. I have the original drive but I think there has been some upgrades since then. I am not sure if they would re-download if I would hook up the old drive. If it would work I would definitively consider hooking up the old drive and deleting all the programming and season passes to get back to a bare bone system to have a restore point.

Last edited by bentleya : 04-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
ggieseke

I have 500GB drives in all 4 of my S2s, and it didn't slow them down at all.

If you still have the original drive you can image it and restore the image to the 250. The TiVo will upgrade itself to the latest to the latest OS (9.3.2b) automatically.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

You could try searching (or asking) for an image in the appropriate thread in this forum. The other option, as you have pointed out, is to reinstall the original drive, do a Clear and Delete Everything, then make an image from that drive. The reason many people go with SATA drives in the old boxes is because they were less costly for a larger drive than an IDE. Since you have two reasonably sized IDE drives, no need to buy a SATA.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
bentleya

Thanks for the Advice and information. I am tried re-installing the drive and it didn't come up just sat at the Welcome screen. I am thinking it might not have been from this unit but my series one tivos that I no longer use. I may have a backup lying around somewhere if I can't find one then I will see if I can find an image later and try to do the restore/backup scenario.

I did notice something strange when trying to copy the old drive which is a seagate 9cz012-301 that it is taking longer then I expected. I am transferring all the recordings and expected it to take a while but I deleted all the stuff I didn't care about and there are only about 70 gigs worth a data and it has been running for almost 12 hours. So I am wondering if the Seagate's transfer rate maybe extremely slow for some reason which could be causing the video jumps. I did test the drive with Seatools and it passed both the short and long test. Could just be my bias against Seagate drives though. If I remember correctly when I transferred it from the old drive it was the only one I had available.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
bentleya

Well after a BUNCH of playing around I was able to create an backup image from the drive and apply it to a new drive.

Even though the seagate tested okay there is something definitively wrong with it. When it gets to around 85% backing up if I do all the programming it slows down to 1 meg every few minutes. So I just backed up the system and not the entire drive. I was able to hook it back up and move the programming to my media center via Tivo Desktop. So I am finalizing that now and then going to stick in the new slightly larger drive. I am going to try and do a full reset once I copy the final show off the Tivo in about 17 minutes.

I am guessing the reset isn't going to get rid of the distorted startup movie but who knows.

If anyone happens to have a SVR-3000 image I would appreciate if you could PM me but I am not sure if I can get it until I make some more posts. I guess it limits you unless you post 10 posts. So here is another one will go check out the regular fourms and see if I can comment on some stuff.

Thanks