TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
pgoelz

Auto transfer..... doesn't transfer..... sometimes

Title says all.

TiVoHD connected wired to a router, with four auto transfers set on a PC also plugged into the same router. The PC can see the TiVo and the TiVo can see the PC. The PC is always on. The recordings I want to transfer are all series, and I have the TiVo set to keep two recordings at a time so there will always be one recording on the TiVo for transfer.

When initially set, auto transfers seem to work after a delay of about 15 minutes and any and all recordings get transferred. But at some random point, they stop. For example, they were working when we left for vacation two weeks ago. But about a week ago they stopped, with no new recordings transferred after that. There ARE new recordings on the TiVo.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm wondering if it is a IP address glitch..... like when the TiVo's IP lease expires, if the router hands out a different one, the auto transfer routine on the PC doesn't notice and continues to use the old IP? If that is the case, I can get a new router that can be set to always hand out the same address to specific devices (my current router can't do that). Or maybe set the PC to reboot once a day......

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
...Anyone got any ideas?...
Yes. Use kmttg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
pgoelz

OK, plase elaborate a bit...... why use kmttg? Is there a known issue with Tivo desktop?

Paul
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
pgoelz

OK, had a brief look at KMTTG and it does not seem to do auto transfers of recording series? It says it can do batch transfers, but not auto transfers of future recordings. ??

Paul
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What version of TiVoDesktop?

I'm using 2.8.1 and my auto transfers happen like clockwork.
Maybe there is a networking issue involved?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
pgoelz

I'm using 2.8.1, build 393288. Same as you?

I agree it looks like a network issue, just wondering if I'm the only one. Note that even when transfers are not happening (they aren't even shown as scheduled although there are new and un-transferred recordings on the Tivo), the PC and the Tivo can see each other.

Paul
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
pgoelz

OK, I set up the PC and the Tivo with static IPs and rebooted the PC. It seems to be transferring all appropriate recordings, ones it had ignored up to now. If this continues for more than a week it looks like the problem was some sort of issue with DHCP and changing IPs.

BTW, I wasn't sure what to do about the DNS IPs on the PC and Tivo. I used the router IP instead of manually inputting DNS IPs from my ISP and it seems to work OK.... I can reach the internet and the Tivo can connect to the Tivo service.

Paul
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
OK, had a brief look at KMTTG and it does not seem to do auto transfers of recording series? It says it can do batch transfers, but not auto transfers of future recordings. ??

Paul
Sorry I didn't get a chance to answer earlier. I had a response drafted at my sister's house, but lost the text due to an unfamiliar (compact) keyboard. Regardless, yes, kmttg has auto-transfers based on show title, keyword, or by TiVo (will transfer all show titles on a specific TiVo).

Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
pgoelz

Thanks, good to know I have a plan B if setting static IPs turns out not to be the answer.

Paul
Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
What version of TiVoDesktop?

I'm using 2.8.1 and my auto transfers happen like clockwork.
I may have spoken too soon. My auto transfers didn't happen yesterday or today, but a reboot of the PC seems to have kickstarted things. Transfers began right away after the OS booted up.
I usually shut down my PC at least once a week. Maybe that's why I percieved there wasn't a problem. Here lately I've been letting the PC run longer periods of time (~2 weeks since last reboot). I guess now I'll find out how often I need to restart the PC.
Obviously there's somthing in TD that quits working and a reboot fixes things.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
pgoelz

Try setting static IPs for the TiVo and the PC. So far, that has resolved it for me.

Paul
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
pgoelz

Well rats. It stopped auto transferring again. Seemed to work OK for a while after I set static IPs but a couple days later it has stopped again. There are new recordings on the Tivo matching programmed auto tranfer rules, the PC can see the Tivo and vice versa, and Tivo desktop is not auto transferring them.

And bright ideas out there?

Paul
Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
pgoelz

OK, plan B. Using event scheduler I set the PC to reboot every night at 3AM. Since it doesn't do anything else except gather Tivo recordings, this should not interrupt anything important. Still wondering what the real problem is.

Paul
Old 09-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

The only requirements for kmttg is having java installed. Any other missing components are downloaded automatically by kmttg. Maybe it's time for plan C?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
pgoelz

OK, time has passed and this is still not really resolved. I deleted my reboot task and auto-transfers stopped again. Note that I do NOT expect it to auto-transfer when the PC is hibernating. But I DO expect it to auto-transfer correctly if/when it wakes up and checks in with the NPL.

I also tried KMTTG and had similar issues.... auto transfers stopped after a day or two. I also found that after they stopped, if I manually started the transfer task in KMTTG, it failed with an error message.... something about http. Note that Tivo desktop ALWAYS shows the NPL correctly, so the PC can see the Tivo.

I called Tivo support and they were clueless. I explained the problem and my setup. They could not explain how auto-transfers actually work (ie., how does the auto-transfer task discover that there are shows to transfer?). They said they would look into it and call me back.... they never called me back. This is a major feature and it is broken. What exactly am I paying a monthly fee for if not decent support? I can get the guide from other vendors for a heck of a lot less than I am paying Tivo. But I digress.

Suspicious that this is related to the fact that the PC hibernates when inactive for a couple hours and not a network issue like I first suspected, I went back to using a task in Task Scheduler to reboot every night. That seems to have resolved the issue again. Transfers occur normally now.

So near as I can tell, there is a flaw in the auto-transfer algorithm that causes Tivo Desktop to miss the fact that there are items on the NPL that match programmed auto-transfers. Possibly only if the PC is not left on 24/7. And I guess Tivo has better things to do than to investigate or (gasp) fix it. At least the reboot task workaround fixes it.

Paul