Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Smash - "Publicity" - 4/23/2012 - S01E12

Wow, what a great episode. I never thought they could put a Bollywood number in this show but they made it work, AND it was great! It was a complete "burst into song" moment, but I didn't mind.

The only thing I didn't like was Karen getting screwed out of that song at the end. She got a text from a random person and went home? Why not go up and watch, learn, grow? Especially since you're Derek's favorite at the moment.

Yes, I want Ellis gone. What a little snake bastard.

This is one of the few shows that ends and I didn't realize an hour had gone by. They really keep it moving.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Ereth

I was particularly amused at Ellis' cameo in the Bollywood number where he sneaks in and steals something and sneaks back out.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was amazed at how much singing and dancing went into that... it was more complicated than everything in the rest of the episode, including how to make a smoothie!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
She got a text from a random person and went home?
Wasn't it the stage manager?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
tiams

I didn't think the son could get any more annoying. Then I watched this episode.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
tiams

Oh, and how obvious is it that a reaction to eating peanuts is coming!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I thought that's what Ivy's request was: Elllis, how about you mix some peanuts into her smoothie?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13
The only thing I didn't like was Karen getting screwed out of that song at the end. She got a text from a random person and went home? Why not go up and watch, learn, grow? Especially since you're Derek's favorite at the moment.
I inferred from the text that the whole rehearsal was canceled.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Wasn't it the stage manager?
Ellis borrowed the phone from someone sitting in the hall.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I inferred from the text that the whole rehearsal was canceled.
Seemed more 'directed' to me, but could go either way! So why was Rebecca still going upstairs if the whole rehearsal was canceled?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Good point. And Karen's so stary-eyed over the whole thing you'd think she'd go and observe, not just figure "score! Day off!"
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Actually, Rebecca just went upstairs to get another smoothie.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Musically, I really liked this episode. The Snow Patrol song "Run" was very, very good (I think I actually like it better than the original!). The ballad done by either Karen OR Ivy was quite beautiful... one of the few songs from "Bombshell" that I really like a lot. The Bollywood piece was much "pop-pier" than I expected it to be, not styled like "traditional" Indian music that I've heard, and very well choreographed.

Not specifically related with this episode, but I just wish they wouldn't write all the characters quite as "anvil-icious" and so one-dimensional. Ellis is, of course, the worst example of this, where all you know of him is that he's a snake... but the problem affects virtually all the characters. It feels, to me, like they're writing the characters as if they are characters for a stage production, where you have a few hours and you don't have time to more delicately develop a character in the audience's mind... but this is television, and they had more than enough time to allow them to develop more naturally. Hopefully, since they now have a second season, they can develop the characters a little better, and give them some depth.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The Snow Patrol song "Run" was very, very good.
I feel very stupid all I knew is the Leona Lewis version.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
You're ahead of me, Caine... I didn't recognize it at all and I listen to a lot of pop music!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
You're ahead of me, Caine... I didn't recognize it at all and I listen to a lot of pop music!
To be honest, I didn't either.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Not sure what show you people are watching. This was the episode that has made it easy for to stop watching.

That Bollywood number just kept reminding me of "Outsourced" but not in a good way.

The whole kid is missing and bringing people together was right out of a daytime soap.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'll give another vote for the Bollywood number. I loved it! Nice how pretty much everyone in the whole show was in it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
There was a line in the commercial for the episode that I didn't hear in the show (it was dubbed over the scene where everybody in the rehearsal room goes running to the doors), where somebody says something like "She's not breathing" or "Call a doctor"; I also figured that the "favor" would be to put peanut oil into a smoothie, but when it didn't happen, I figure the line is from a future episode where she does have an attack (probably in a Boston preview).

Let me guess: if they show any scenes from an "actual performance" this season, it will be in the finale, although I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode ends just as they're about to start the overture at the first preview, and the second season premiere takes place just before the Broadway previews begin (and I wouldn't be surprised to see "Spider-man: Turn Off The Dark"-level delays once they get there).
There could even be a cliffhanger when something happens to the star just before the first preview and they have to decide whether they really want Karen in the role or have Ivy do it. "If you want Karen to be Marilyn, call 1-900-SMASH-KAREN; if you want Ivy, call 1-900-SMASH-IVY. You can also text KAREN or IVY to 76274 (SMASH). $1 fee per call or text will apply; all proceeds go towards keeping NBC afloat long enough, especially after the expected losses with the Summer Olympics, to even have a second season."
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
There was a line in the commercial for the episode that I didn't hear in the show (it was dubbed over the scene where everybody in the rehearsal room goes running to the doors), where somebody says something like "She's not breathing" or "Call a doctor"; I also figured that the "favor" would be to put peanut oil into a smoothie, but when it didn't happen, I figure the line is from a future episode where she does have an attack (probably in a Boston preview).

Let me guess: if they show any scenes from an "actual performance" this season, it will be in the finale, although I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode ends just as they're about to start the overture at the first preview, and the second season premiere takes place just before the Broadway previews begin (and I wouldn't be surprised to see "Spider-man: Turn Off The Dark"-level delays once they get there).
There could even be a cliffhanger when something happens to the star just before the first preview and they have to decide whether they really want Karen in the role or have Ivy do it. "If you want Karen to be Marilyn, call 1-900-SMASH-KAREN; if you want Ivy, call 1-900-SMASH-IVY. You can also text KAREN or IVY to 76274 (SMASH). $1 fee per call or text will apply; all proceeds go towards keeping NBC afloat long enough, especially after the expected losses with the Summer Olympics, to even have a second season."
How about adding a very special crossover event where Ivy and Karen get to be mentors on the Voice.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

But I want to call 1-900-SMASH-ELLIS-IN-THE-HEAD.

I don't think the finale/premiere will be as good as those ideas, but will probably be something more outlandish.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
SNJpage1

I didnt know karens boyfriend could sing and dance. He wasnt bad at it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I didnt know karens boyfriend could sing and dance. He wasnt bad at it.
If you watched Outsourced you'd know that almost all Indians can sing and dance. It's pretty much all but one.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
If you watched Outsourced you'd know that almost all Indians can sing and dance. It's pretty much all but one.
But there are not supposed to really touch or kiss on camera!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #25
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Musically, I really liked this episode. The Snow Patrol song "Run" was very, very good (I think I actually like it better than the original!). The ballad done by either Karen OR Ivy was quite beautiful... one of the few songs from "Bombshell" that I really like a lot. The Bollywood piece was much "pop-pier" than I expected it to be, not styled like "traditional" Indian music that I've heard, and very well choreographed.

Not specifically related with this episode, but I just wish they wouldn't write all the characters quite as "anvil-icious" and so one-dimensional. Ellis is, of course, the worst example of this, where all you know of him is that he's a snake... but the problem affects virtually all the characters. It feels, to me, like they're writing the characters as if they are characters for a stage production, where you have a few hours and you don't have time to more delicately develop a character in the audience's mind... but this is television, and they had more than enough time to allow them to develop more naturally. Hopefully, since they now have a second season, they can develop the characters a little better, and give them some depth.
I also agree that the Bollywood number was very good.

That said, why are you surprised at the bad (or lack of) character development.
That's been the get go from episode 1.

And I don't buy that you can't develop characters in 2 hours.
Movies and plays can certainly do it much better than the writers of Smash have.

To be honest, I started to zone out during the scenes with Julia and her husband. That's how bad it is.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #26
wprager

The Bollywood number was great .. I really miss Outsourced.

However the episode, on the whole, was pretty bad. What is Rebecca's game and why doesn't Karen see something's up? Why did Rebecca flip-flop again (can't sing, huge diva, to can sing lower and has good ideas, now back again)? Why keep giving the teenage son scenes above his acting abilities? Why did Karen pick *that* moment to day-dream a Bollywood number; you'd think she'd be a bit more engaged? Is Ellis mega stupid? When Karen realizes what happened she'll ask whoever's phone was borrowed and she'll quickly point the finger at Ellis (there wasn't a landline in the place? who borrows phones without some excuse like my battery died?)
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The Bollywood number was great .. I really miss Outsourced.

However the episode, on the whole, was pretty bad. What is Rebecca's game and why doesn't Karen see something's up? Why did Rebecca flip-flop again (can't sing, huge diva, to can sing lower and has good ideas, now back again)? Why keep giving the teenage son scenes above his acting abilities? Why did Karen pick *that* moment to day-dream a Bollywood number; you'd think she'd be a bit more engaged? Is Ellis mega stupid? When Karen realizes what happened she'll ask whoever's phone was borrowed and she'll quickly point the finger at Ellis (there wasn't a landline in the place? who borrows phones without some excuse like my battery died?)
I miss Outsourced, too.

I don't think Karen is smart enough, or maybe ballsy enough to figure it out and point the finger. Ivy would be, but not Karen. And even if Karen does figure it out, so what? Everyone loved Ivy's performance, so it's not going to matter anyway. Karen missed her shot.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
mwhip
All better

I did not like the Bollywood number thought it was terrible.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I did not like the Bollywood number thought it was terrible.
That's racist!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
(there wasn't a landline in the place? who borrows phones without some excuse like my battery died?)
Sending texts from a payphone is prohibitively complex.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote