TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Tomar

Tivo Files to iTunes without Transcoding

Hello - can anyone recommend an app that will convert my .tivo files to an iTunes compatible format without transcoding? I transferred the .tivo files from my standalone TiVo which I no longer have since I switched to Directv. Thanks

Tomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
tatergator1

You could theoretically use tivodecode to strip the encyption and just leave you with mpeg-2 files, but then you would need an app capable of software decoding mpeg-2 on your i-device to play these since it is not supported by the hardware. That solution is a tremendous battery drain, so you would have to keep your i-device plugged into outlet power to view for any extended period.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Tomar

Hello tatergator1 - I tried tivodecode before but the reason I didn't stick with it is because I would need to do another conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4 or MOV which I was trying to avoid. Worst case, I can always fall back to that.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Ziphead

MPEG-2 is the format the recordings are in on the TiVo, so it's impossible to have them in a different format without transcoding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomar View Post
...convert my .tivo files to an iTunes compatible format without transcoding?
Wait,
I'm confused... Converting = Transcoding, right?

Or is this one of those plays on words like Converting could be transcoding, but transcoding is not always converting, or vice-versa?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
tatergator1

I think the OP was hoping for some magical program that would let him simply "change" mpeg-2 to H.264 in mere seconds, as opposed to the time-consuming transcoding.

To the OP, check out kmttg. These transcoding tasks can be automated with minor effort. Check the kmttg thread here.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
AudioNutz

Ah... Magic! I love magic!

Seriously though, I'd love a way to do this without transcoding as well, but I don't know a way. I've used KMTTG for many years, and even extended its functionality for my own needs (automation). It works great! But... It does transcode.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Tomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
MPEG-2 is the format the recordings are in on the TiVo, so it's impossible to have them in a different format without transcoding.
Yes you are right. I did not fully understand what tatergator1 was saying until later. The .tivo file is a "wrapper" surrounding MPEG file, right?

@tatergator1 - by transcoding I mean going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to MOV as oppposed to MPEG2 to MOV directly. I hope I didn't confuse things but I believe I know what I have to do.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
The .tivo file is a "wrapper" surrounding MPEG file, right?
Yes. It bundles the metadata XML with the video, and encrypts the file with half-assed DRM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
tatergator1

Quote:
@tatergator1 - by transcoding I mean going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 to MOV as oppposed to MPEG2 to MOV directly. I hope I didn't confuse things but I believe I know what I have to do.
There shouldn't be a need to go all the way to MOV, unless you really want that. An Iphone/Ipad will play a properly transcoded MPEG-4 file. There are probably plenty of programs out there that will do MPEG-2 to MOV, I just don't know what they are.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Ziphead

An MP4 file is actually a type of MOV.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
BrooklynBlueEyes

If speed is the real concern here, have you tried the El Gato Turbo 264 hardware decoder? I have one, and it can convert TiVo to iTunes much faster without monopolizing your computer. I'm very happy with it.

BrooklynBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Tomar

Speed isn't too much of an issue but the turbo 264 hardware sounds interesting.

Last edited by Tomar; 01-09-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Tomar