Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Eureka 4/24/12 "The Real Thing"

An interesting mix of real and surreal. I am hoping they wrap this up in the next episode.

After all of my disliking her, I got the feeling that Bev may be turning against her project after that twist at the end. She didn't look very happy about what was done. Holly being killed sucks, she was a great partner for Fargo and a fun character.

All those people bringing pieces of parts to the sheriff's office reminded me of an earlier episode. How could they do that and not expect someone to squeal to the feds about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Peter000

Very sad that Holly was the one to go.

Really enjoyed this episode for a couple of different reasons... first it indicates that this particular arc probably won't last too long. And it was just a fun ep.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

This was a much better episode than the first, if only because they were able to keep the "real world" plot going. Unfortunately, the frequent flips between "real" and "artificial" world got rather distracting after a while. I'm not sure if timing would have permitted it, but I almost would have rather had an entire episode set in the "real world," then a separate entire episode in the "artificial world."

I was really bummed that they killed off Holly. (I was going to say that she's getting good at getting killed, but I think she managed to survive at least two of her previous acting roles.)
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Why is Senator Wen such an evil bitch? Did we know this before? What could possibly be a rational excuse to do what she's doing?

No cell phone on walkabout? Didn't Jo foresee the possibility of an emergency?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Why is Senator Wen such an evil bitch? Did we know this before? What could possibly be a rational excuse to do what she's doing?
Uh...making a ton of money off the technology that will be developed in the VR world?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
AlphaDelta

Why couldn't they have killed off Zane "woe is me, Jo doesn't love me"?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
AlphaDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Uh...making a ton of money off the technology that will be developed in the VR world?
Because the "real" Eureka wasn't inventing stuff fast enough?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Why is Senator Wen such an evil bitch? Did we know this before?
We did. Well, I thought she was a pretty nasty bitch when she first showed up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Because the "real" Eureka wasn't inventing stuff fast enough?
She wouldn't personally profit from the real Eureka inventing stuff.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, but I mean is this a sole venture or is she hooked up with the multinational cadre of Evil, Inc.?

Or, did hurtling through deep space just fry her brain?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

They killed Holly! You bastards!

This reveal of Senator Wen wasn't really a reveal for us, was it?

I don't remember why, but I could have sworn that I had already known that she was in on it as early as the final episode of the previous half-season. Maybe it wasn't explicitly stated, but at minimum I got a massively hinky vibe off of her when she was in the control room.

I certainly spent the entire episode this week under the assumption that she was in on it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

I'm thinking Beverly and Senator Evil are doing this outside of the government. They'll be selling the technology to the highest bidder.

I thought the transitions to and from the VR world were done very well so as to not confuse the audience as to which world was which. Although I sometimes had to remind myself which characters in teh VR world were real and which were AI...

My first thought when Vincent walked through the counter was "Someone turned on teh No Clipping cheat!"
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
This was a much better episode than the first, if only because they were able to keep the "real world" plot going. Unfortunately, the frequent flips between "real" and "artificial" world got rather distracting after a while. I'm not sure if timing would have permitted it, but I almost would have rather had an entire episode set in the "real world," then a separate entire episode in the "artificial world."

I was really bummed that they killed off Holly. (I was going to say that she's getting good at getting killed, but I think she managed to survive at least two of her previous acting roles.)
Because this way they could show almost instantly how the actions in one were affecting the other.

"we" already know it's not a real world, so another episode solely in the Matrix would not have pleased most viewers, because it wouldn't move the plot forward.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wasn't confused by the switching - there was a different look to the background colors in the VR world.

My friend was watching this with me and he kept quoting Matrix lines. It was annoying. I will be watching it alone next week.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I wasn't confused by the switching - there was a different look to the background colors in the VR world.

My friend was watching this with me and he kept quoting Matrix lines. It was annoying. I will be watching it alone next week.
Wrong thread .
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Because this way they could show almost instantly how the actions in one were affecting the other.
There wasn't any connection (that I can tell) between the "real world" story (Carter et. al. assembling a device to help look for the Astraeus) and the "fake world" story (the thing about the dragon).

Note that I would group the scenes set in the Evil Inc. lair into the "fake world" storyline. So for instance, there would have been last week's episode... then an episode focusing exclusively on Carter et. al. in the real world... then an episode focusing on the Astraeus crew in the fake world, while the Evil Inc. guys mess with them.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Idearat

Quote:
Why is Senator Wen such an evil bitch? Did we know this before?
She's been cranky ever since she got stuck on Destiny and was separated from her girlfriend.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
DouglasPHill

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Holly.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I thought it worked really well, and I'm in agreement with everyone else that a full VR episode would have pissed people off.

Plus, this way they were able to do parallels between the two different storylines and they did a pretty good job.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Sorry, just can't agree with those who liked this ep. The show has gone from a nice, niche, quirky series to something quite unlikeable....

Only reason I'll stick with it is because I've watched it from the beginning.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
oscarfish

Assuming Holly stays dead, I think we should expect Fargo to be the key element in bringing down the evil Senator. The question in my mind is how dark they are going to make it.
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Family

I liked that they moved the arc along quickly. And I disagree in using separate episodes. I do not want to see a full fake week again.

Wish it didn't have to be Holly, but I understand the decision.

Good episode.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
She's been cranky ever since she got stuck on Destiny and was separated from her girlfriend.
Ahhh, I was wondering where I saw her before.

I do hope they wrap this up soon. I like the storyline, but I don't want it to continue for too much longer.

Killing Holly was a shame. As much as I don't like Fargo, I wanted him to wind up with someone he liked.

I wonder if somehow they'll use the ship to get back to their real timeline. Or is that not even up for discussion anymore?

-Mike
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
I wonder if somehow they'll use the ship to get back to their real timeline. Or is that not even up for discussion anymore?
I'm 99.999% certain that storyline is done permanently.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
I'm 99.999% certain that storyline is done permanently.
Considering there's only 3 episodes remaining....permanence is highly likely.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Considering there's only 3 episodes remaining....permanence is highly likely.

--Carlos V.
No... season 5 was originally intended to be 13 episodes long, of which one was the holiday episode that aired already. Shortly after canceling the series, they ordered one final episode to wrap the series, bringing the final total to 14 episodes. We've only seen 4 of those (3, plus the holiday one) so we have 10 episodes remaining.

ETA: had they continued with doing split seasons as they have before, i.e. season 5 and season 5.5, the break probably would have come after episode 6. I don't think they're breaking this season up though.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar

No... season 5 was originally intended to be 13 episodes long, of which one was the holiday episode that aired already. Shortly after canceling the series, they ordered one final episode to wrap the series, bringing the final total to 14 episodes. We've only seen 4 of those (3, plus the holiday one) so we have 10 episodes remaining.

ETA: had they continued with doing split seasons as they have before, i.e. season 5 and season 5.5, the break probably would have come after episode 6. I don't think they're breaking this season up though.
Oddly, imdb claims that the Christmas special is episode 11 of the 14.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Oddly, imdb claims that the Christmas special is episode 11 of the 14.
Not really odd; they could assign ANY ep number to a Christmas show since there's no continuity to worry about...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And they film WAY in advance...in fact, the entire season (save the extra wrap-up episode) had been filmed when they announced this would be the last season, which was a long time ago. So it's entirely possible that the Xmas ep really was #11 in production.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #30
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
And they film WAY in advance...in fact, the entire season (save the extra wrap-up episode) had been filmed when they announced this would be the last season, which was a long time ago. So it's entirely possible that the Xmas ep really was #11 in production.
I don't think imdb uses production dates for numbering. I think they use air date. At least they have with the simpsons and other shows.