TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
bryhamm
randomize

The Amazing Race 4/22/12

Has team ever been saved twice in the same season by a non-elim leg?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
In several seasons (four that I found so far), teams have been saved by two non-elimination legs, but were generally eliminated after the second one.

One team, however, was saved by two non-elimination legs and ultimately won the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

I hope Team Big Brother wins just so that Vanessa and Team Border Patrol has their heads explode.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I hope Team Big Brother wins just so that Vanessa and Team Border Patrol has their heads explode.
I kind of feel the same. Those two teams have been so childish in their vendetta that I would rather see Team Big Brother win over those two.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I kind of feel the same. Those two teams have been so childish in their vendetta that I would rather see Team Big Brother win over those two.
Especially Vanessa. Rachel had it right in the episode where they had the big cat fight in the airport. She is 38 years old! I hope she is really embarassed to be acting like a role model to the Meathead's kids (I don't even remember his name still) on national tv by snarking on someone's looks the whole time, between the incident where they bleeped out what she was saying at the watermelon truck, then the whole nose job/boob job thing at the airport, and then last night making fun of her lips. She's 38 years old and still acting like a high school mean girl!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
jradosh
Newlywed

I feel so bad for the Kentucky boys. They want it so bad but are just falling apart at the seams.

Sadly I don't want any of the other teams to win. They've all shown such ugliness during the race.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
fmowry

Quote:
Wow. I dislike the platypus more than anyone else on the show. She is so annoyingly pouty and whiney I can see why both those teams hate her. I don't understand why her fiancee hasn't left her at this point.

Quote:
Especially Vanessa. Rachel had it right in the episode where they had the big cat fight in the airport. She is 38 years old! I hope she is really embarassed to be acting like a role model to the Meathead's kids (I don't even remember his name still) on national tv by snarking on someone's looks the whole time, between the incident where they bleeped out what she was saying at the watermelon truck, then the whole nose job/boob job thing at the airport, and then last night making fun of her lips. She's 38 years old and still acting like a high school mean girl!
At least Vanessa has a sense of humor to the camera and with her teammate. Rachel just cries like a 2 year old not getting her way every time she has trouble with anything. I can't think of one time this season when I enjoyed or was entertained by Rachel being on the screen.

Back to the rest of the show. Kentucky has to be on their last leg. They are both a physical mess at this point and the last episode usually does involve racing. I do think it's the Army guy and his wife's race to lose. As long as he keeps it together and doesn't start attacking her like he did in the first 2-3 episodes every time something got tough. They have to be pretty far ahead as quickly as they did both roadblocks. I figure at least an hour for the dance alone.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know if KY will be able to overcome their time deficit/speed bump, but I would think with their 12 hour or so layover, being able to get fluids, etc., Mark will bounce back pretty well. India, near 100 degree heat and direct sun, who knows how long trying to do that stupid dance routine (12 attempts plus all the practice???) - dehydration, frustration and who know what else. Plenty of water, some food, some rest - I think he'll be fine.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
One thing for sure, Bopper is a really good friend to Mark.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I knew all the guys were in trouble (especially the good ol' boys) as soon as I saw it was a dance challenge.

I'm really hoping for an equalizer to give the Kentucky boys a chance. They're the only ones with any redeeming qualities left. I have tremendous admiration for Mark not quitting and Bopper supporting him all the way.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
She is 38 years old! ...... She's 38 years old and still acting like a high school mean girl!
She's actually 31 according to the website. That does not excuse her behavior in the slightest but we should at least get our facts straight.

I think Rachel said she was 38 just as a dig during the airport showdown.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Ment

I know the producers like the Kentucky guys 'give it all you got' story but Mark got gifted the dance challenge then to happen on a non-elimination leg..come on son!
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
She's actually 31 according to the website. That does not excuse her behavior in the slightest but we should at least get our facts straight.

I think Rachel said she was 38 just as a dig during the airport showdown.
I just assumed she was 38 because Vanessa responded with something like "at least I still look younger than you", so I assumed that she wasn't disputing the fact that she was 38.

Either way, she is far too old to be acting like that, especially for someone who professes to want to act like a role model to the guy's kids.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I know the producers like the Kentucky guys 'give it all you got' story but Mark got gifted the dance challenge then to happen on a non-elimination leg..come on son!
That whole situation was weird. First Bopper was trying to convince the guy to give up, and then he finally did and they were all ready to go home, and then suddenly he's trying to pep talk him into giving it one more shot?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I think the Indian 'coach' convinced him that he was so close, it wouldn't take much to finish the challenge. I'm sure he also felt a little better after he'd been in the shade for a few minutes and removed his sweat-soaked clothes.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That whole situation was weird. First Bopper was trying to convince the guy to give up, and then he finally did and they were all ready to go home, and then suddenly he's trying to pep talk him into giving it one more shot?
It was weird. I think someone there knew it was a non-elimination leg and strongly encouraged them to finish.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Necromancer2006

I was so sick of that dance song it took me a couple of hours to stop hearing it after the show ended.

Art & JJ. Wow, those guys are just idiots. Let it go. The "Teachers" were so far back that the U-Turn wouldn't have made a difference. I would have liked to have seen karma bite those two a little harder than it did.

Not that it will make a big difference, I see a significant equalizer for next week, but Kentucky will still wind up going home.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
wendiness1
WiiMomma

I agree, Laria. Even though I like him, Bopper was inconsistent with his encouragement to go home/encouragement to try once more.

I think the director (dance coach) felt panicked that he might be responsible for causing one of the teams to quit, thinking he had let TAR producers down, and might have thrown out a broad hint that he wouldn't judge quite so harshly if Mark tried once more.

I'll bet somebody also mentioned that it might be a non-elimination leg, which wasn't shown in the edit as it would have lessened the drama.

I'm not pleased to have the show back in India. I'm so bored with going there.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
jradosh
Newlywed

Bopper was inconsistent, but I think a lot transpired between those scenes that they're not showing us. Same with the dance coach... there was some producer involvement for sure.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
sburnside1

The 11th attempt looked better than the 12th. I think the judge felt bad for asking him to try again. I also thought what we saw of the 11th looked better than some of the teams passing attempts.

I dont really care for Brendan and Rachel, but I am disliking the 2 other teams more with their constant harassment.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
robojerk

When he finally got the dance down, I saw his instructor in front of the stage dancing it so he could mirror him.

I don't have a favorite this season so I could care less who wins.
I think the competitiveness in TAR can sometimes bring out the ugliness in people. The border patrol team showed they can be really nice guys, back when they gave the KY team that prize money, however their behavior has been really bad on the last few episodes.

The girl on the Big Brother team cries way too much for me to sympathize with her.

Army guy + blonde wife are probably safest bet to win. I think he's kind of a ****** but she seems to be able to not take it like a floor mat.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
kettledrum

Quote:
I was thinking that after everyone else had already checked in and the KY boys were going to call it quits, the producers told the dance challenge judge to go ahead and pass them so that they could say that they didn't quite the race and were able to finish all of the tasks. I thought that was what was going on when it looked like Bopper changed his mind and was encouraging him to go back and try again, along with the additional encouragement from the dance coach. It also looked to me that #12 wasn't any better than the other attempts, and they were passed by mercy, as it wasn't going to affect the outcome of the competition anyway. I was then blown away to find out that it was a non-elim leg. Something doesn't seem right.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yeah, my wife commented on that very thing....strange. Maybe when he saw that Mark was re-considering, he decided to encourage him? With video editing, you never know what may have occurred to prompt Bopper to change his tune...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
...I also thought what we saw of the 11th looked better than some of the teams passing attempts...
This....in defense of Mark, what we saw in his dances where he was given the negative ruling by the instructor looked pretty darn OK to me. There were several times we felt he should have been given the clue. Other team members weren't perfect, either, and they got their clues.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
At one point Mark told Bopper to quit and "let's take the penalty". What was the penalty? IIRC it's like 2 or 4 hours for not completing some tasks.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
At one point Mark told Bopper to quit and "let's take the penalty". What was the penalty? IIRC it's like 2 or 4 hours for not completing some tasks.
But does that "disqualify" them from non-elim?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But does that "disqualify" them from non-elim?
I was kind of thinking when it was down to KY and the Border Patrol, what would happen if KY just took the penalty? And, like Boston Rob, they may have been able to convince BP to take the penalty as well at that point.

I can't see why that would have DQ'd them from the non-elimination. They just have a time penalty they would have to serve.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that Mark and Bopper were "told" that if Mark went out there one more time, he'd be guaranteed to pass. I think the producers realize that they're the only team left in the race worth rooting for, and they didn't want to lose them this early. There's obviously no way to prove this, but I'd be very surprised if this episode had been a non-elim if any other team had finished last.
Quote:
According to Wikipedia, the penalty for not completing a Roadblock is four hours, and based on previous seasons, that clock would start ticking at the moment they decide to take the penalty.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I was thinking that after everyone else had already checked in and the KY boys were going to call it quits, the producers told the dance challenge judge to go ahead and pass them so that they could say that they didn't quite the race and were able to finish all of the tasks. I thought that was what was going on when it looked like Bopper changed his mind and was encouraging him to go back and try again, along with the additional encouragement from the dance coach. It also looked to me that #12 wasn't any better than the other attempts, and they were passed by mercy, as it wasn't going to affect the outcome of the competition anyway. I was then blown away to find out that it was a non-elim leg. Something doesn't seem right.
Since they were the last team I suppose the options (from the production company's POV) were:

(a) allow them to quit, which would throw the non-elim out of whack; they would have had the next leg prepared for 5 teams.

(b) allow them to take the penalty of 4 hours. But does that 4 hours pick up the following day or does it disappear overnight? If it continues into the next day, it may totally screw up the schedule for the race, especially if they had remained at the dance task for several hours already.

(c) Encourage the dance instructor to put them through, assuming the outcome wouldn't be affected negatively (knowing it was a non-elim; knowing there would be a bunching up soon, etc.)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think the producers realize that they're the only team left in the race worth rooting for, and they didn't want to lose them this early.
Early? Aren't there only five teams left?

Did they even show Kentucky do the last detour?
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
Jayjoans

Problem was that the blonde went first on the dance challenge and completely nailed it. That set the bar so high for the rest that it became nearly impossible to match her. She looked like she had been practicing with the dance team for days.

Clearly they made huge allowances for Bopper, his last attempt was not his best and as was already pointed out they had an instructor out in front of him so he could mirror moves.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote