TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
RusRus

Tivo HD DVR With Lifetime Service

Is all the information and data stored only on the HDD? Tivo Service Number, DVR Name and Tivo Account Status stored only on the HDD? If so, then can I buy another HD DVR, remove the HDD and replace it with one from a faulty HD DVR that has Lifetime service? Or even a HDD that has been WinMFS cloned from the faulty HD DVR?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The TiVo Service Number comes from a chip on the mainboard. Service is tied to the chip. not the disk. The programming is encrypted using a key based on the TSN, so you can't see programming (or record new) if you move a disk to a different TiVo, until you do a Clear and Delete Everything. The newer TiVo won't have the same account status.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
Is all the information and data stored only on the HDD? Tivo Service Number, DVR Name and Tivo Account Status stored only on the HDD? If so, then can I buy another HD DVR, remove the HDD and replace it with one from a faulty HD DVR that has Lifetime service? Or even a HDD that has been WinMFS cloned from the faulty HD DVR?
Lifetime service is tied to the motherboard not the hard drive. If you replace the hard drive with one from another unit once it connects to TiVo's servers the correct status will be sent back to the unit and the software will be updated.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
RusRus

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the clarification.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
wobly

RusRus, what issue are you having?
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
This is basically what I recently did. I have a Series 3 (OLED) lifetime unit and the drive died on me. I wound up getting an exact Series 3 unit off Craigslist. It came with a glo remote and USB wireless adapter too. Got it all for $40. I pulled its hard drive and put it in my lifetime Series 3. Did a 'delete everything', called Comcast to repair its cable cards and all was good.

Since my home has hard wired ethernet jacks, I didn't need the wireless USB adapter either so sold it on ebay for about $30. Kept the glo remote since its something I could use. In the end, I basically got it all for around $10-20. My Lifetime Series 3 has been working good and purring along here.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
This is basically what I recently did. I have a Series 3 (OLED) lifetime unit and the drive died on me. I wound up getting an exact Series 3 unit off Craigslist. It came with a glo remote and USB wireless adapter too. Got it all for $40. I pulled its hard drive and put it in my lifetime Series 3. Did a 'delete everything', called Comcast to repair its cable cards and all was good.

Since my home has hard wired ethernet jacks, I didn't need the wireless USB adapter either so sold it on ebay for about $30. Kept the glo remote since its something I could use. In the end, I basically got it all for around $10-20. My Lifetime Series 3 has been working good and purring along here.
You got a great deal, and you knew what you were doing.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
mattack

Has anybody done the surface mount of a S3 encryption chip to another? My S3 doesn't power up at all, even tried the power supply from another (working) OLED S3..

The drive is also dead (but I can feel it spin, I have slight hope that just the controller card hosed in the same thing that killed the S3 board).. I have enough stuff otherwise recorded to watch, but if I could for sure recover the drive, I'd like to get it recovered.. then hopefully I could sell the lifetime S3 for a *bit* (saying it was a Franken-machine)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Has anybody done the surface mount of a S3 encryption chip to another? My S3 doesn't power up at all, even tried the power supply from another (working) OLED S3..

The drive is also dead (but I can feel it spin, I have slight hope that just the controller card hosed in the same thing that killed the S3 board).. I have enough stuff otherwise recorded to watch, but if I could for sure recover the drive, I'd like to get it recovered.. then hopefully I could sell the lifetime S3 for a *bit* (saying it was a Franken-machine)
Assume you're talking about the 648, since it's the last model with a discrete crypto chip.

I unsoldered the chip from a dead 648 board as practice for doing a chip swap on an S2 DT, can't remember if I soldered it back or not--I was really trying to get a feel for working with the special Bismuth-based unsoldering solder.

So you're not even getting the welcome screen via composite video with the hard drive not hooked up?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
mattack

No, no lights, no video output, nothing.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

I just pulled the same trick, but it cost me $50 (no usb adaptor - however, it was a never used unit. Just sitting in some rich guy's garage for years until he told someone that worked for him to get rid of it, who then flipped it).
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote