TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #151
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Nothing has been able to hold onto even half the Idol lead in for years.
However, in years past, the Idol lead in was bigger.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #152
marksman
ID-10-T

What is funny to me since ratings round up as few as 150001 people could have been watching it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #153
lodica1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well, The CW sure has a winner in The L.A. Complex, don't they? How can that be still on the air? It's getting worse ratings than Ringer ever did. I wonder just how long the CW network can continue to exist with poor performance.
The CW makes most of their money from the Netflix contracts on the shows. I read somewhere that they lose money with advertisers but are really profitable once Newflix gets involved.

I will have to see if I can find the article.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #154
astrohip
Stuart F

Overnight ratings for Wednesday, May 23, 2012:

Code:
Time    Net     Show                                18-49/Share Viewers
8:00PM  FOX     American Idol (8-10 PM)             6.1     18  20.708
        ABC     The Middle                          2.0     7   6.505
        CBS     The Big Bang Theory -R              1.5     5   5.587
        NBC     Betty White's Off Their Rockers     1.5     5   5.473
        CW      America's Next Top Model -R         0.3     1   0.895

8:30PM  ABC     Modern Family -R                    2.0     6   6.034
        NBC     Betty White's Off Their Rockers -R  1.5     5   5.331
        CBS     Two and a Half Men -R               1.2     4   4.413

9:00PM  ABC     Modern Family                       4.0     11  9.988
        CBS     Criminal Minds -R                   1.6     4   6.378
        NBC     Law And Order: SVU -R               0.9     2   3.772
        CW      America's Next Top Model            0.4     1   0.917

9:30PM  ABC     Don't Trust The B in Apt. 23        2.5     7   5.743

10:00PM ABC     Revenge                             2.4     6   7.758
        NBC     Law And Order: SVU                  1.9     5   6.976
        CBS     Criminal Minds -R                   1.6     4   6.246

On FOX, American Idol's finale results show earned a 6.1 rating, which is down 32% from last year's finale (which earned a 9.2/26, with 29 million viewers) and is the lowest-rated finale ever for the series.

Modern Family's finale also was up a tenth from last week, earning a 4.0, but was down 5% from last year's finale. Don't Trust The B in Apt. 23 was up considerably from last week's series low 1.9 rating, earning a 2.5 rating for its season finale.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #155
swinca
Menace to society

Wow. Law and Order is STILL on??? I thought all of them had finally been cancelled.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #156
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
On FOX, American Idol's finale results show earned a 6.1 rating, which is down 32% from last year's finale (which earned a 9.2/26, with 29 million viewers) and is the lowest-rated finale ever for the series.
I think if you're tracking with Idol at all, you watched the finale. Which means 30% of the people who were tracking with it last year no longer are.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #157
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinca View Post
Wow. Law and Order is STILL on??? I thought all of them had finally been cancelled.
No SVU is still on.

Whats his name who played Benson left before this season and Marisky Hargity was winding down this year and only going to be in some episodes but then she recommitted to being in the show full time.

I believe this or next season will be the 14th season of SVU.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #158
aindik

Quote:
New York, NY, May 31, 2012 - Night three of HISTORY's HATFIELDS & MCCOYS surpasses night one delivering 14.3 million total viewers making it the new #1 entertainment telecast of all time on ad-supported cable. It also averages 6.3 million Adults 25-54 impressions making it the #1 entertainment telecast on ad supported cable in 14 years. All three parts of the hit, scripted event rank as the top three entertainment telecasts of all time in ad supported cable history among total viewers.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...TF2UyM8DO8P.99

More viewers than the season finale of Modern Family.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #159
WhiskeyTango

For the sake of clarity, the "in ad supported cable" is a key note. There was a Disney show, High School Musical 2, that drew more total viewers (17 million) but it doesn't count because the only ads they show are for their own programs. Still impressive though, it drew a 4.0 18-49 on its third night.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #160
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...TF2UyM8DO8P.99

More viewers than the season finale of Modern Family.
I'm guessing they are aggregating their viewership numbers over multiple airings. If so, it's not really a fair comparison to say more than Modern Family.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #161
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm guessing they are aggregating their viewership numbers over multiple airings. If so, it's not really a fair comparison to say more than Modern Family.
It was 14.287 million for the first showing at 9pm. The midnight showing added an additional 1.916 million.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...w-more/136370/
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #162
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Very impressive. What were the airings of Hatfields & McCoys on HIST at 7 pm (3.203 million viewers) and 8 pm (5.338 million viewers). I'm assuming those were partial reruns of the previous installments? (Or was each episode only one hour?)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #163
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ

Completely disagree. I think it is a fair and valid comparison. Just because they made their show more accessible doesn't change that. They were able to sell ads on those viewers. Yes it did take up more time slots which impacts things, but I suspect the network suits dismiss it for the same reasons.

That they choose to air modern family once is the networks choice. As far as I know no network has double aired the sand episode of a show any time I can remember. I think we might see it in the next two years. Also the prime airing for the mini series would have been a top five scripted show pretty much any week of the year without including repeats.

I see stuff like this and it just reinforces to me the networks are way behind the curve. I want shorter network drama seasons. They can do that and repeat episodes and bam they don't even have to create any extra shows. This gives their programming more flexibility which allows more people to watch.

Create 13 episode seasons, run them two or three times a week in consecutive weeks and see what happens. Right now the networks are completely hit and miss on reruns.

You can still have longer sitcom and procedural dramas. Serialized shows run them at 8/9 and 9/10 the first night and then reair the same episode each saturday. Heck air the last two episodes each Saturday. It is not like the networks are overloaded with serials. They could carry three serials on a network doing it like this
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #164
Worf

I think it's because the networks and cable channels have completely different business models. The networks have to be self-funding - the big guys produces shows for their affiliates who broadcast them OTA, network ads pay for the shows, affiliate ads pay for the running of the station. It's purely ad driven, though they get some through cable subscriptions (which I think just go to the day-to-day running of the station)

A cable channel doesn't have all that - they get funded through ads and cable subscriptions. I think something like Discovery, for example is paid 25 cents a month per subscriber. And if you want Discovery, you also must take on its sister channels at additional fees per subscriber per month - you can't take Discovery on its own. Plus, they don't have transmitters to maintain - just a satellite uplink to cable headends (which is why you often see shows repeated 3-4 hours apart - it's cheaper to just rebroadcast a primetime show in the east, then rebroadcast it prime time for the west since there's no affiliate stations to do the timeshifting).

It's why networks care very much about ratings as their ad rates and thus income and budget depend on it. Cable channels... not so much as they get a pretty regular payout from cable subscribers that forms the base operating budget - ads help pay for the rest). And long seasons are a boon to networks - keep your viewers tied to your channel that hour or night and reap the ratings.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #165
WhiskeyTango

The network to cable comparisons really need to stop. You can't fairly compare the two for several reasons, one of which being what Worf described above.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #166
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I think it's because the networks and cable channels have completely different business models. The networks have to be self-funding - the big guys produces shows for their affiliates who broadcast them OTA, network ads pay for the shows, affiliate ads pay for the running of the station. It's purely ad driven, though they get some through cable subscriptions (which I think just go to the day-to-day running of the station)

A cable channel doesn't have all that - they get funded through ads and cable subscriptions. I think something like Discovery, for example is paid 25 cents a month per subscriber. And if you want Discovery, you also must take on its sister channels at additional fees per subscriber per month - you can't take Discovery on its own. Plus, they don't have transmitters to maintain - just a satellite uplink to cable headends (which is why you often see shows repeated 3-4 hours apart - it's cheaper to just rebroadcast a primetime show in the east, then rebroadcast it prime time for the west since there's no affiliate stations to do the timeshifting).

It's why networks care very much about ratings as their ad rates and thus income and budget depend on it. Cable channels... not so much as they get a pretty regular payout from cable subscribers that forms the base operating budget - ads help pay for the rest). And long seasons are a boon to networks - keep your viewers tied to your channel that hour or night and reap the ratings.
Affiliates of the major OTA networks are starting to get away with charging cable companies for retransmission. So, the business models are starting to merge a bit.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #167
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Affiliates of the major OTA networks are starting to get away with charging cable companies for retransmission. So, the business models are starting to merge a bit.
So does that mean the affiliates get that money or does it go to the actual network? Or some sort of split?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #168
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
So does that mean the affiliates get that money or does it go to the actual network? Or some sort of split?
It goes to the affiliates. But a) the affiliates in the biggest markets are owned by the networks, and b) for those that aren't, being paid by cable companies is a reason for them to pay more money to the network for affiliation.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #169
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango
The network to cable comparisons really need to stop. You can't fairly compare the two for several reasons, one of which being what Worf described above.
Another being that cable networks have 24 hours a day to fill, which makes reairing their prime time stuff multiple times a no brainer. Broadcast networks only control 2-12 hours per day, and the affiliates get the rest of the time.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #170
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm taking a break from posting the daily ratings (probably until Fall 2012), but will post tidbits from time to time. Here are some stats from Variety, for either the 2011-2012 season, or the first week of May Sweeps.

First is the top Syndicated Shows:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TopSynd.jpg (46.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #171
astrohip
Stuart F

Here is a chart showing Oldest-skewing versus Youngest-skewing shows. FOr 2011-2012 season:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldies.jpg (58.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #172
astrohip
Stuart F

And finally, top five original basic cable series:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable.jpg (124.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #173
aindik

Quote:

Doesn't WWE Monday Night Raw beat all those on a pretty regular basis?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #174
aindik

Quote:
Here is a chart showing Oldest-skewing versus Youngest-skewing shows. FOr 2011-2012 season:

Surprised not to see Sesame Street on the list.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #175
mattack

Quote:
I like(d) the oldest skewing show, and watch 4 out of the 5 youngest skewing shows..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #176
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

Hmmmm, I watch one in each list (Missing and Raising Hope). I skew closer to the older than the younger
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #177
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I watch NONE of those.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #178
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj

I watch NONE of those.
Not many do
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #179
marksman
ID-10-T

I disagree that the cable to network comparisons are invalid. They are more like each other now than ever. Describing the network model where they have affiliates who give them access to every viewer in the US and I don't feel sorry.

Cable channels have shows that get more viewers than many network shows. Cable channels have serial shows that show massive growth year to year. None of those things have anything to do with their different cost structures or transmissions.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #180
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ

Another being that cable networks have 24 hours a day to fill, which makes reairing their prime time stuff multiple times a no brainer. Broadcast networks only control 2-12 hours per day, and the affiliates get the rest of the time.
Yeah except NBC owns like 10 cable channels they can run programming on. Abc at least one. CBS and fox not as much.

NBC instead runs CBS and Fox shows on their biggest cable outlet which in turn helped boost a couple of shows to last a very long time. NBC basically turned NCIS into a big hit because of their reruns.

The problem is someone like NBC has to look at the now and how to increase viewers now. That can't be worried about bank end syndication deals when they can barely launch a show. Three or four of those syndicated scripted shows out rank all NBC scripted shows and they are running five nights a week.

NBC would make more money just licensing fox and CBS reruns than what they are doing now.