CBS     Hawaii Five-0           1.4  5          9.39
        NBC     Grimm                   1.3  4          4.94
        FOX     Sleepy Hollow -R        0.6  2          1.86
        CW      America's Nxt Tp Mdl    0.4  1          1.05

10:00   ABC     20/20                   1.4  5          5.98
        CBS     Blue Bloods             1.3  4         10.98
        NBC     Dracula                 1.0  3          2.99
Comments from TVbytheNumbers:

ABC and CBS tied for number one in adults 18-49 but CBS won with total viewers.

On ABC, Last Man Standing matched last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. The Neighbors earned a 1.1, up a tenth from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Shark Tank matched last week's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating 20/20 notched a 1.4, down a tenth from last week's 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, Undercover Boss earned a 1.8, up four tenths from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Hawaii Five-0 scored a 1.4, up a tenth from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Blue Bloods earned a 1.3, up a tenth from last week's 1.2 among adults 18-49.

On NBC, Dateline garnered a 1.0, down three tenths from its last Friday original's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Grimm earned a 1.3, down two tenths from last week's 1.5 adults 18-49 rating. Dracula scored a 1.0, down three tenths from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Your predictions were too optimistic

On FOX, the finale of MasterChef Junior scored a 1.5, up two tenths from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating.

On The CW, The Carrie Diaries matched last week’s 0.3. America’s Next Top Model earned a 0.4 adults 18-49 , even with last week.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1232
astrohip
Stuart F

Broadcast primetime ratings for Sunday, November 10, 2013:
Code:
Time   Net     Show                       18-49        Viewers
7:00   CBS     NFL Football - Live        6.6/19       21.95
       NBC     Football Night in American 2.0/6         5.88
       ABC     America's Funniest Videos  1.3/4         6.97
       FOX     Bob's Burgers - R          1.3/4         3.66

7:30   CBS     Football/60 Minutes        4.8/13       18.01
       NBC     Football Night in America  3.2/9         9.42
       FOX     American Dad - R           1.1/3         2.69

8:00   NBC     Football Night in America  5.2/13       14.60
       CBS     60 Minutes                 3.3/8        15.14
       ABC     Once Upon A Time           2.1/5         6.63
       FOX     The Simpsons               1.9/5         4.27

8:30   NBC     Sunday Night Football      7.0/17       19.30
       CBS     60 Minutes/The Amaz. Race  2.5/6        11.89
       FOX     Bob's Burgers              1.5/4         3.22

9:00   CBS     The Amazing Race           2.0/5         9.04
       FOX     Family Guy                 2.0/5         4.16
       ABC     Revenge                    1.4/3         5.50

9:30   CBS     The Amaz. Race/Good Wife   1.8/4         9.62
       FOX     American Dad               1.6/4         3.52

10:00  CBS     The Good Wife              1.6/4        10.18
       ABC     Betrayal                   0.8/2         3.25

10:30  CBS     Good Wife/The Mentalist    1.5/4         9.26

NOTE: Due to the nature of live programming the ratings for NBC & CBS (NFL Football) are approximate and subject to more than the typical adjustments in the final numbers.

Note: CBS's primetime ine-up began at 7:47PM in most Eastern markets due to football overruns..

NBC was number one among adults 18-49, and with total viewers.

On NBC Sunday Night Football, (Cowboys/Saints) earned a preliminary 7.0 up 23 percent from last week's preliminary 5.7 adults 18-49 rating from 8:30-11PM.

CBS’s line-up slid back 47 minutes due to football so the ratings are hopelessly scrambled. Check back tomorrow for accurate, final numbers.

On FOX, The Simpsons notched a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating, down 21 percent from last week’s 2.4. Bob's Burgers earned a 1.5 down 17 percent from last week's 1.8 adults 18-49 rating. Family Guy scored a 2.0 adults 18-49 rating down 20 percent rom last week’s 2.5. American Dad earned a 1.6 down 16 percent from last week’s 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, America’s Funniest Home Videos garnered a 1.3 down 7 percent from last week's season high 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Once Upon A Time scored a tied its season low with a 2.1 down 9 percent from last week's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating. Your predictions were too optimistic. Revenge tied its series low with a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating down 18 percent from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Betrayal matched its series low with a 0.8 down 20 percent from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #1233
aindik

Kind of interesting that there were more people watching the NFL on CBS than watching the supposed marquis game later on NBC.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #1234
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Broadcast primetime ratings for Sunday, November 10, 2013:

CBS’s line-up slid back 47 minutes due to football so the ratings are hopelessly scrambled. Check back tomorrow for accurate, final numbers.
This is really inaccurate in that the games went off only 17 minutes late. CBS schedule started at 7:30 last night not 7:00. The 30 minutes was built into the schedule not "pushed back". This is done every time they have games that are scheduled to start at 4:25.

It does make the ratings a bit confusing though.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #1235
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I still don't get it, sorry. The games are 10 minutes later and the schedule is bumped by 30 minutes. Why is it consistently running over? Was it running over by > 20 minutes average last year? So far it's been a minimum of 15 minutes when I've been paying attention.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1236
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I still don't get it, sorry. The games are 10 minutes later and the schedule is bumped by 30 minutes. Why is it consistently running over? Was it running over by > 20 minutes average last year? So far it's been a minimum of 15 minutes when I've been paying attention.
Yes, it was not at all uncommon for CBS' schedule to be bumped by 20-30 minutes or more in previous seasons, and then last year when they moved the late doubleheader game back to 4:25, it wasn't uncommon for CBS to be bumped closer to an hour.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1237
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Blame it on increased number of ads during NFL games. I'm sure there's a stat somewhere, but I bet the number of ads have increased over the last 10-15 years per NFL game. The most ridiculous of course is this type of sequence.

Team scores and kicks extra point
commercial
team kicks off
commercial
The kickoff play takes less than 30 seconds, so MAYBE there's a minute of game time between those two blocks of commercials. Now throw in an injury somewhere in there, and you get another 4 or 5 commercials.

Really, it's time that these games are SCHEDULED for 3 1/2 hours. You'd think the networks would want this because the games are so highly rated. They do this for the playoffs already. Start the early games at 12:30 Eastern, and then run the late games until 7:30.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #1238
aindik

You can't start games at 9:30 am on the west coast. If you do, you'll have to make some accommodation, for example by ensuring that all games involving west coast teams, including road games, start in the late slot (or are in prime time). Which will cut into the one big national game thing they have going every week in that slot.

All they have to do is schedule the games through to 8:00. If CBS wants to still run four hours of "prime time" starting at 8 eastern, that's between them and their affiliates. But it's absurd to have an overrun every week.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1239
Azlen

One of the reasons I like being on the west coast. Prime time network TV is rarely delayed due to football.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #1240
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
You can't start games at 9:30 am on the west coast. If you do, you'll have to make some accommodation, for example by ensuring that all games involving west coast teams, including road games, start in the late slot (or are in prime time). Which will cut into the one big national game thing they have going every week in that slot.

All they have to do is schedule the games through to 8:00. If CBS wants to still run four hours of "prime time" starting at 8 eastern, that's between them and their affiliates. But it's absurd to have an overrun every week.
You're talking about a half hour. I lived in the West for 5 years. Absolutely the best thing was watching the early football games and then having the whole day to do what I wanted. It was great.

We discussed over and over why CBS won't start their schedule at 8. Having overruns HELPS their ratings, not hurt it, with the caveat that they charge a LOT more for an ad for say 60 Minutes than whatever they charge for their last scheduled show.

I really wonder if starting 9:30 on the West Coast would matter. 10AM on a Sunday morning is still awfully early if you were out partying the night before.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #1241
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
We discussed over and over why CBS won't start their schedule at 8. Having overruns HELPS their ratings, not hurt it...
it does help the ratings, but, hey, i'm just glad to see the half hour bump to 7:30, a rare schedule change until this year.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1242
aindik

At 9:30 you're starting to conflict with things for the non partier. Like church.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1243
Azlen

I think it's a definite change in the television business that a show getting the ratings of Betrayal can stay on the air. I guess they don't want to put anything else there until Walking Dead finishes their season or something.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #1244
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I think it's a definite change in the television business that a show getting the ratings of Betrayal can stay on the air. I guess they don't want to put anything else there until Walking Dead finishes their season or something.
I read something today about this. It referenced Betrayal and Hostages as being 'limited run' series and that is the reason they remain on the air. Networks want to do more of these limited run series going forward and believe that touting them as limited run and then canceling them would turn viewers away from future series. Not sure how true that is but here is the article.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #1245
Worf

Quote:
Blame it on increased number of ads during NFL games. I'm sure there's a stat somewhere, but I bet the number of ads have increased over the last 10-15 years per NFL game..
With ratings of 6.6, of COURSE the ads have increased. I mean, those sort of things can easily demand quarter to half-mill per 30 seconds for ad rates. And with ratings that high, they're going to stuff as many ads as they can to get as many people as possible to pay those rates.

And I bet a good chunk of CBS' annual budget comes from ads sold during football season.

Hell, sooner or later they're going to do a whole 30 second ad per yard run.

I wonder just how willing the NFL accommodates this though - I'm sure with CBS and others paying good sums of money to them, they'll happily oblige by making 30 second pauses in the game...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1246
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
At 9:30 you're starting to conflict with things for the non partier. Like church.
Maybe, but I think Church goers are missing 10AM starts too. At least on the West Coast, it's a different lifestyle than here, since the weather is warm. So many people I knew when I lived out west would watch their football in the morning, and head to the beach after the game, or do family stuff. I imagine a lot of people would love that extra half hour of beach time

Plus there's a little invention called the DVR...perhaps you've heard of it? That solves the church going issue I believe.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #1247
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
With ratings of 6.6, of COURSE the ads have increased. I mean, those sort of things can easily demand quarter to half-mill per 30 seconds for ad rates. And with ratings that high, they're going to stuff as many ads as they can to get as many people as possible to pay those rates.

And I bet a good chunk of CBS' annual budget comes from ads sold during football season.

I wonder just how willing the NFL accommodates this though - I'm sure with CBS and others paying good sums of money to them, they'll happily oblige by making 30 second pauses in the game...
It's all negotiated. And as you say with that amount of money, the NFL will acquiesce. We've been hearing for so many years how sports has changed because of TV. Hockey has built in TV timeouts. I believe the NBA does too. The NFL allows these long breaks in the game for commercials, and the TV LOVES the modern MLB game where pitchers are changed often, which offers up more time for advertising. Baseball games 50 years ago averaged way under 2 1/2 hours. Today it's getting close to 3. NFL games ran under 3 hours most of the time, now, maybe 50/50.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #1248
aindik

Quote:
Maybe, but I think Church goers are missing 10AM starts too. At least on the West Coast, it's a different lifestyle than here, since the weather is warm. So many people I knew when I lived out west would watch their football in the morning, and head to the beach after the game, or do family stuff. I imagine a lot of people would love that extra half hour of beach time

Plus there's a little invention called the DVR...perhaps you've heard of it? That solves the church going issue I believe.
"Hey, you can DVR it" is about the last thing CBS wants to tell viewers about football games.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #1249
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

I think it's generally understood that the networks barely break even on their NFL rights because the NFL charges so freakin' much. And as the rights fees continue to go up, the NFL has to let them continue to add commercials because that's the only way for it to make financial sense for the networks. But the networks still do it because it brings so many viewers to their networks and allows them to promote their prime time shows to all of those viewers.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #1250
aindik

There are tons of commercials, but to its credit the NFL still doesn't allow the networks to sponsor in-game elements, which makes for a cleaner broadcast. They can sponsor half time and postgame, and promote those shows during the game. But they can't sponsor the kickoff, the starting lineups, the game time temperature, etc.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1251
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
There are tons of commercials, but to its credit the NFL still doesn't allow the networks to sponsor in-game elements, which makes for a cleaner broadcast. They can sponsor half time and postgame, and promote those shows during the game. But they can't sponsor the kickoff, the starting lineups, the game time temperature, etc.
I bet it has nothing to do with them not "wanting" that in their broadcasts and more to the fact that the NFL probably wants a piece of that action, and the networks don't want to share. This is the NFL, where if you wear the wrong clothes you get fined!! If the NFL's official show is Nike, and CBS has something during the game sponsored by Sketchers, I wonder how that would go over with Nike? And so forth.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #1252
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
But those kinds of things don't generally take up more time. The announcers usually just talk about those things between plays, or when coming back from a commercial break or something. I don't think I've ever seen a time where a network does a live read like that and the game is paused while the announcer shills for the product.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1253
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
But those kinds of things don't generally take up more time. The announcers usually just talk about those things between plays, or when coming back from a commercial break or something. I don't think I've ever seen a time where a network does a live read like that and the game is paused while the announcer shills for the product.
They DO have those breaks where they say "This game is brought to you by" and they rattle off five or six brand names with a little slogan or description. Those things are pretty annoying.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #1254
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think it's generally understood that the networks barely break even on their NFL rights because the NFL charges so freakin' much.
The NFL loves Fox. The NFL rights are usually put out for bid at the end of each contract. Prior to Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS each had their own piece (NFC on CBS, AFC on NBC, MNF on ABC) and weren't really competing against each other so they kept the rights fees low. Then Fox jumped in and bid on the NFC package and that shook everything up. It hasn't been the same since.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #1255
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The NFL loves Fox. The NFL rights are usually put out for bid at the end of each contract. Prior to Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS each had their own piece (NFC on CBS, AFC on NBC, MNF on ABC) and weren't really competing against each other so they kept the rights fees low. Then Fox jumped in and bid on the NFC package and that shook everything up. It hasn't been the same since.
Exactly. And the rights fees have skyrockted since then. Throw in the Sunday Ticket contract and the NFL network games and suddenly there are a lot more properties the NFL has to offer, and even more networks out there that want a piece of the hottest property on TV. The NFL is just printing money now.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #1256
astrohip
Stuart F

Broadcast primetime ratings for Monday, November 11, 2013:
Code:
Time    Net     Show                        18-49       Viewers
8:00    NBC     The Voice (8-10PM)          3.8/10     11.89
        CBS     How I Met Your Mother       3.1/9       8.08
        FOX     Bones                       2.0/6       7.36
        ABC     Dancing with the Stars      1.7/5      12.50
        CW      Hart Of Dixie               0.4/1       1.16

8:30    CBS     2 Broke Girls               2.7/7       8.20

9:00    FOX     Sleepy Hollow               2.5/7       6.98
        CBS     Mike & Molly                2.2/6       8.56
        CW      Beauty & the Beast          0.3/1       0.91

9:30    CBS     Mom                         1.9/5       6.93

10:00   NBC     The Blacklist               3.0/8      10.73
        ABC     Castle                      1.9/5      10.09
        CBS     Hostages                    1.1/3       4.49

NOTE: Last night’s Monday Night Football game (Miami at Tampa Bay) was simulcast on the CW affiliate in Miami. As a result, CW numbers may be inflated and subject to more than typical adjustments in the finals.

NBC was number one in Adults 18-49 while ABC was on top with total viewers.

On NBC, The Voice earned a 3.8 up 6 percent from last week's Monday season low 3.6 adults 18-49 rating. The Blacklist garnered a 3.0 up 3 percent from last week's 2.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On FOX, Bones matched last week’s 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. Sleepy Hollow scored a 2.5 , even with last week's 2.5 adults 18-49 rating. Your predictions were a bit too optimistic.

On CBS, How I Met Your Mother earned a 3.1 down 9 percent from last week's 3.4 adults 18-49. 2 Broke Girls scored a 2.7 up 4 percent from last week's 2.6 adults 18-49 rating. Mike and Molly earned a 2.2 down 15 percent from a 2.6 for last week's premiere. Mom tied its series low with a 1.9 down 5 percent from last week's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. Hostages matched last week's series low 1.1 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Dancing With the Stars hit a Monday series low with a 1.7 down 15 percent from last week's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. Castle matched its season low with a 1.9 down 14 percent from last week's 2.2 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, Hart Of Dixie matched last week’s 0.4. Beauty And The Beast scored a 0.3 adults 18-49 rating even with last week.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #1257
WhiskeyTango

I know the CW expects and accepts low ratings but less than a million viewers for Beauty and the Beast? I am actually surprised that they haven't yanked it from the air.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1258
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I know the CW expects and accepts low ratings but less than a million viewers for Beauty and the Beast? I am actually surprised that they haven't yanked it from the air.
And replace it with what? Do they have anything ready to go? Maybe at mid-season.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #1259
astrohip
Stuart F

Broadcast primetime ratings for Tuesday, November 12, 2013:

Code:
Time    Net     Show                    18-49      Viewers (Millions)
8:00    CBS     NCIS                    2.9/8      19.20
        ABC     S.H.I.E.L.D.            2.2/6       6.63
        NBC     The Biggest Loser       1.9/6       6.30
        FOX     Dads                    1.2/4       3.16
        CW      The Originals           1.1/3       2.38

8:30    FOX     Brooklyn Nine-Nine      1.4/4       3.28

9:00    NBC     The Voice               3.4/9      11.41
        CBS     NCIS: Los Angeles       2.4/6      14.75
        ABC     The Goldbergs           1.7/5       5.18
        FOX     New Girl                1.7/5       3.33
        CW      Supernatural            1.0/3       2.35

9:30PM  FOX     The Mindy Project       1.3/4       2.62
        ABC     Trophy Wife             1.2/3       3.81

10:00   NBC     Chicago Fire            2.2/6       7.79
        CBS     Person Of Interest      2.0/6      12.50
        ABC     Scandal for Real        0.8/2       2.82

NBC was the number one network in adults 18-49 while CBS was on top with total viewers.

On NBC, The Biggest Loser earned a1.9 down 10 percent from last week's 2.1 adults 18-49 rating. of The Voice matched last week’s 3.4 adults 18-49 rating. Chicago Fire returned to a 2.2 up 5 percent from a 2.1 adults 18-49 rating for its most recent episode.

On CBS NCIS matched last week's 2.9 adults 18-49 rating. NCIS: Los Angeles scored a 2.4 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week’s season low. Person Of Interest notched a 2.0 up 5 percent from last week's series low 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scored a series low 2.2 down 12 percent from last week’s 2.5 adults 18-49 rating. The Goldbergs garnered a 1.7 up 13 percent from last week's series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating. Trophy Wife notched a 1.2 up 9 percent from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating. The special Scandal for Real: The Top 10 Political Scandals of the Century earned a 0. adults 18-49 rating 8 up 14 percent from a 0.7 for last week’s Robin Roberts special.

On FOX, Dads scored a series low 1.2 down 14 percent from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Brooklyn Nine-Nine tied its series low with a 1.4 down 13 percent from last week’s 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, and New Girl hit a series low 1.7 down 15 percent from last week’s 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. The Mindy Project matched its series low with a 1.3 down 13 percent from last week’s 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, The Originals notched a 1.1 up 22 percent from last week's 0.9 adults 18-49 rating. Supernatural garnered a 1.0 up 11 percent from last week's 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #1260
Church AV Guy

Quote:
On ABC, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scored a series low 2.2 down 12 percent from last week’s 2.5 adults 18-49 rating.
Is there a graph of the ratings for this show? I fully expected this to be THE new powerhouse show this year. It seems that the ratings are steadily declining.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote