Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #1201
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
CBS was late by almost 30 minutes last night. I am looking forward to seeing how it affects the ratings again. I am beyond frustrated with the fact that they do this regularly, more or less plan for it, and yet actually benefit from it in the ratings if what was posted earlier in this thread is accurate. I've now padded my programs by 1/2 hour. If it ever gets beyond that I will probably just stop recording CBS shows on Sunday and get them online.
They've been doing this for years now. I'm used to it. I just plan for it. I just pad the last show of the three I record and I watch them in a block. A lot of times I just watch them "live"
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1202
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
They've been doing this for years now. I'm used to it. I just plan for it. I just pad the last show of the three I record and I watch them in a block. A lot of times I just watch them "live"
While they have been having football overrun for years, this is the first time they have actually bumped their schedule by 30 minutes so that shows start in a weird half hour dead zone. I had assumed that they did this to avoid overruns but instead they did it to further screw up the schedule for football's sake.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #1203
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
While they have been having football overrun for years, this is the first time they have actually bumped their schedule by 30 minutes so that shows start in a weird half hour dead zone. I had assumed that they did this to avoid overruns but instead they did it to further screw up the schedule for football's sake.
I'm sure they've done that before--scheduled their shows to start later. I'm pretty sure I previously saw the unusual start times on the half hour for the Sunday drama block.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #1204
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
They did it because last year (or maybe the year before) the NFL started their late games at 4:25 on the network that has the doubleheader that week. So they just bumped their schedule back a half hour to compensate. Those games used to start around 4:05.

Edit: The idea behind the 4:25 start times is so the audience of the local teams who's games are in the 4 o'clock block can finish the games they were watching. Very often the 1 o'clock game would overrun into the 4PM block and the rule is if your local team is playing in the 4 o'clock game, they would have to switch to that game. So you'd miss the ending of a game you've been watching.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #1205
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I had assumed that they did this to avoid overruns but instead they did it to further screw up the schedule for football's sake.

I don't see how this change screws anything up. It's done in an attempt to give a more accurate schedule.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #1206
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
They did it because last year (or maybe the year before) the NFL started their late games at 4:25 on the network that has the doubleheader that week. So they just bumped their schedule back a half hour to compensate. Those games used to start around 4:05.

Edit: The idea behind the 4:25 start times is so the audience of the local teams who's games are in the 4 o'clock block can finish the games they were watching. Very often the 1 o'clock game would overrun into the 4PM block and the rule is if your local team is playing in the 4 o'clock game, they would have to switch to that game. So you'd miss the ending of a game you've been watching.
Wait, so the 4:25 change occurred a while ago and CBS only just updated their schedule? Does this mean that they were 20+ minutes late almost every single week last year?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #1207
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Wait, so the 4:25 change occurred a while ago and CBS only just updated their schedule? Does this mean that they were 20+ minutes late almost every single week last year?
I think the 4:25 change happened last year. I think CBS and FOX generally alternate the double headers, so CBS would have a 4:25 start every other week. I seem to remember that there was only one or two weeks all season where they didn't have to push their Sunday schedule due to NFL overruns.

Not sure what they've been doing this year, as I haven't really been paying attention and we never get affected by those things out here in the west.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1208
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Well every single week they had a double header on CBS (usually every other week, but, for some reason yesterday and next week are both CBS doubleheader weeks. 4 o'clock games on non doubleheader weeks go off at 4:05.

Last year, if I recall, they still had 60 Minutes scheduled at 7PM even on weeks where the late game was schedule at 4:25. This is the first year, I believe, that they adjusted their schedule to compensate for the later time for the game.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1209
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think the 4:25 change happened last year. I think CBS and FOX generally alternate the double headers, so CBS would have a 4:25 start every other week. I seem to remember that there was only one or two weeks all season where they didn't have to push their Sunday schedule due to NFL overruns.

Not sure what they've been doing this year, as I haven't really been paying attention and we never get affected by those things out here in the west.
Apparently they started the 30 minute bump last year and I didn't notice because the season was over before I'd started watching shows that night -- if my brief googling is accurate. That explains the confusion. I guess my outrage is 1 year too late. It's weird, though, that the kickoff was changed only by 10 minutes yet despite adding 30 minutes to the schedule, they are still overrun regularly.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #1210
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

What's new this year is they officially delayed the schedule of the prime time shows so that they're all listed as starting a half hour later. 60 minutes at 7:30, etc. But not every week. Only in weeks where they have a 4:25 (as opposed to 4:05) NFL game.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1211
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
What's new this year is they officially delayed the schedule of the prime time shows so that they're all listed as starting a half hour later. 60 minutes at 7:30, etc. But not every week. Only in weeks where they have a 4:25 (as opposed to 4:05) NFL game.
IRC, the last time CBS had the doubleheader, everything went off as scheduled (60 Minutes at 7:30). But last week, when they only showed the late game here in NY and the game started at 4:05, the CBS schedule went off late and we still had to pad.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #1212
aindik

Quote:
IRC, the last time CBS had the doubleheader, everything went off as scheduled (60 Minutes at 7:30). But last week, when they only showed the late game here in NY and the game started at 4:05, the CBS schedule went off late and we still had to pad.
I think it's rare that NY gets a late game from CBS in a non doubleheader week. It's only when one of the locals is in the game, or one of the locals is in the early slot on Fox.

Generally speaking, it seems like CBS gives early games on the east coast in single header weeks unless it has a particular reason it has to show a 4:05 game.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #1213
BrettStah

So The Mentalist that my DVR recorded was a repeat. I went online and found the episode that was supposed to air via unofficial means - where did it air correctly, so that some mind soul was able to upload it so that I could download it?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #1214
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Assume Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #1215
MikeCC
TiVotee

[South Park]Blame Canada...![/South Park]
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #1216
mattack

I think Bob's Burgers is way funnier than American Dad, though I end up banking a lot of American Dad, and when I *do* watch it, I laugh.. But somehow it's something I keep recording but put way way down the priority list to actually watch.

Basically, I guess I'm slightly surprised that American Dad still gets higher ratings... (in that Burgers is funnier, not my own personal when I watch habits)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #1217
astrohip
Stuart F

Broadcast primetime ratings for Monday, November 4 2013:
Code:
Time   Net   Show                       18-49         Viewers
8:00   NBC   The Voice (8-10PM)         3.6    9      11.63
       CBS   How I Met Your Mother      3.4    9       8.70
       ABC   DWTS                       2.1    5      14.38
       FOX   Bones                      2.0    5       7.02
       CW    Hart Of Dixie              0.4    1       1.03

8:30   CBS   2 Broke Girls              2.6    7       8.10

9:00   CBS   Mike & Molly -Prem         2.6    6       9.11
       FOX   Sleepy Hollow              2.5    6       6.94
       CW    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST       0.3    1       0.67

9:30   CBS   Mom                        2.0    5       7.32

10:00  NBC   The Blacklist              2.9    8      10.28
       ABC   Castle                     2.4    7      11.91
       CBS   Hostages                   1.1    3       4.81
Comments from TVbytheNumbers:

NOTE: Last night’s Monday Night Football game (Chicago at Green Bay) was simulcast on the ABC affiliate in Green Bay. As a result, ABC numbers may be inflated and subject to more than typical adjustments in the finals. Also, there were some 10-11 p.m. news preemptions in the New York market on several stations.

NBC was number one in Adults 18-49 while ABC was on top with total viewers.

On FOX, Bones returned to a 2.0, down two tenths from its last original's 2.2 adults 18-49 rating. Sleepy Hollow returned to a series low 2.5, down two tenths from its last original's 2.7 adults 18-49 rating. Your predictions were too optimistic.

On NBC, The Voice earned a season low 3.6,down from last week's 4.3 adults 18-49 rating. The Blacklist garnered a series low 2.9 down from last week's 3.1 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, How I Met Your Mother earned a 3.4, up four tenths from last week's 3.0 adults 18-49 rating and the series' best ratings since its premiere. 2 Broke Girls scored a 2.6, down a tenth from last week's 2.7 adults 18-49 rating. The season premiere of Mike and Molly earned a 2.6, down from last year's 3.1 premiere rating but up from the 1.9 that last season's finale earned. Mom garnered a 2.0,down a tenth from last week's 2.1 adults 18-49 rating. Hostages notched a series low tying 1.1 from last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Dancing With the Stars matched last week's 2.1 adults 18-49 rating. Castle notched a 2.4, up three tenths from last week's 2.1 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, Hart Of Dixie matched last week’s 0.4. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST matched last week's 0.3 adults 18-49 rating.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #1218
Azlen

I'm really surprised that CBS hasn't done something else with Hostages like burning it off on a weekend night or something. It's probably their all time lowest rated regular season show that they've aired for more than a few weeks.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #1219
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm really surprised that CBS hasn't done something else with Hostages like burning it off on a weekend night or something. It's probably their all time lowest rated regular season show that they've aired for more than a few weeks.
CBS did go after the show so another network would not get it. As long as they show all the episodes I will be happy. At least it is only 15 episodes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #1220
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It's really a shame about that show. It's actually pretty good. Lots of interesting plot twists and turns. I wonder why they haven't tried to move it to see if can get any traction. I hope at least they have a definitive ending if the show is only going to be on the one season.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1221
astrohip
Stuart F

Broadcast primetime ratings for Tuesday, November 5, 2013:

Code:
Time  Net    Show                       18-49           Viewers 
8:00  CBS    NCIS                       2.9    8        18.98
      ABC    S.H.I.E.L.D.               2.5    7         7.03
      NBC    The Biggest Loser          2.1    6         6.82
      FOX    Dads                       1.4    4         3.67
      CW     The Originals              0.9    3         2.03

8:30  FOX    Brooklyn Nine-Nine         1.6    4         3.89

9:00  NBC    The Voice (9-11PM)         3.3    9        11.17
      CBS    NCIS: LA                   2.4    6        14.65
      FOX    New Girl                   2.0    5         3.87
      ABC    The Goldbergs              1.5    4         5.01
      CW     Supernatural               0.9    2         2.10

9:30  FOX    The Mindy Project          1.5    4         2.88
      ABC    Trophy Wife                1.2    3         3.77

10:00 CBS    Person Of Interest         1.9    6        11.71
      ABC    Robin Roberts: CMA Awards  0.7    2         3.39

Note: last night there were some local preemptions for election coverage

NBC was the number one network in adults 18-49 while CBS was on top with total viewers.

On NBC, The Biggest Loser earned a 2.1, up three tenths from last week's season low 1.8 adults 18-49 rating and the best rating for the season since its premiere. A two hour episode of The Voice scored a season low 3.3, down three tenths from last week's 3.6 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS NCIS earned a 2.9, down a tenth from last week's 3.0 adults 18-49 rating. NCIS: Los Angeles garnered a 2.4, down two tenths from last week's 2.6 adults 18-49 rating. Person Of Interest matched last week's series low 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On FOX, Dads matched its last original's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Brooklyn nine-nine was even with its last original's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, and New Girl notched a 2.0, up two tenths from its last original's 1.8 adults 18-49 rating. The Mindy Project earned a 1.5, up two tenths from it's most recent episode's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hit a new series low with a 2.5, down two tenths from its last original's 2.7 adults 18-49 rating. The Goldbergs also hit a series low with a 1.5, down two tenths from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Trophy Wife garnered a 1.2, down two tenths from last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. The Robin Roberts CMA special earned a 0.7 adults 18-49 rating at 10PM

On the CW, The Originals notched a 0.9, down from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Supernatural garnered a 0.9, down two tenths from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #1222
astrohip
Stuart F

Overnight ratings for Wednesday, November 7, 2013:

Code:
Time   Net      Show                       18-49       Viewers 
8:00   ABC      47th CMA Awards (8-11PM)   4.7   13    16.63
       CBS      Survivor Blood vs Water    2.5   7      9.22
       FOX      The X Factor (8-10PM)      1.5   4      4.51
       NBC      Revolution                 1.4   4      5.22
       CW       Arrow                      1.0   3      2.74

9:00   CBS      Criminal Minds             2.4   6      9.63
       NBC      Law And Order: SVU         1.5   4      5.62
       CW       The Tomorrow People        0.6   2      1.60

10:00  CBS      CSI                        1.7   5      8.92
       NBC      Dateline NBC               1.1   3      4.46

ABC was number one in adults 18-49 and with total viewers.

On ABC, The CMA Awards earned a 4.7 adults 18-49 rating, up 24 percent from last year and is the program's most-watched telecast in four years.

On CBS, Survivor earned a 2.5, up two tenths from last week's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating. Criminal Minds matched last week's 2.4 adults 18-49 rating. CSI was even with last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating.

On FOX, The X Factor earned a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week's Tuesday airing, but way down from the 2.2 adults 18-49 rating the series' last regular Wednesday telecast earned on October 9

On NBC, Revolution matched last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Law And Order: SVU earned a 1.5, up a tenth from its last original's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, Arrow earned a 1.0, up two tenths from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating. Your predictions were spot on! The Tomorrow People matched last week's 0.6 adults 18-49 rating.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #1223
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm not a country music fan. Was there something special on that awards show this year that led to the big jump in numbers?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #1224
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I'm not a country music fan. Was there something special on that awards show this year that led to the big jump in numbers?
This story seems to think the move from Thursday to Wednesday had an effect.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...lstered-654188
Quote:
The CMA Awards seem to be a much better fit on Wednesdays. After a Thursday move saw drops in 2012, this year's annual show was up 24 percent last night with an average 4.7 rating among adults 18-49.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #1225
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This story seems to think the move from Thursday to Wednesday had an effect.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...lstered-654188
Makes sense in that Thrusday nights are usually very crowded.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #1226
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
CBS did go after the show so another network would not get it. As long as they show all the episodes I will be happy. At least it is only 15 episodes.
Oh, you mean it's by definition a limited run series?

(there are plenty of shows... e.g. under the dome.. that they keep going after one would think they should stop.. I see that as NOT having seen all Under the Dome eps btw.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #1227
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Oh, you mean it's by definition a limited run series?

(there are plenty of shows... e.g. under the dome.. that they keep going after one would think they should stop.. I see that as NOT having seen all Under the Dome eps btw.)
Hostages is SUPPOSED to be only fifteen episodes. Unlike Under the Dome, which was touted to be ten episodes, BUT could be extended if the ratings warrant it, this one has not had such an escape clause added. Besides, the ratings have not been in Hostages favor at all. It will be lucky to show all of the fifteen. I gave up on it a few weeks back.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #1228
astrohip
Stuart F

Overnight ratings for Thursday, November 7, 2013:

Code:
Time  Net     Show                          18-49        Viewers 
8:00  CBS     The Big Bang Theory           4.8   15     16.59
      NBC     The Voice (8-9PM)             2.7   8      10.23
      FOX     The X Factor                  1.2   4       3.64
      CW      The Vampire Diaries           1.2   4       2.57
      ABC     OUaT in Wonderland            0.9   3       3.54

8:30  CBS     The Millers                   2.7   8      10.68

9:00  ABC     Grey's Anatomy                2.7   7       8.55
      CBS     The Crazy Ones                2.1   6       8.07
      NBC     Sean Saves the World          1.7   5       5.58
      FOX     Glee                          1.5   4       4.00
      CW      Reign                         0.6   2       1.70

9:30  CBS     Two and a Half Men            2.0   5       8.14
      NBC     The Michael J Fox Show        1.3   3       4.24

10:00 ABC     Scandal                       2.7   8       8.59
      CBS     Elementary                    1.7   5       8.76
      NBC     Parenthood                    1.5   4       4.53

CBS was number one with adults 18-49 and with total viewers.

Last night’s Thursday Night Football game (Redskins/Vikings) was simulcast on the NBC affiliate in Washington. As a result, the NBC may be inflated and subject to more than typical adjustments in the finals.

On CBS, The Big Bang Theory earned a 4.8, down four tenths from its last original's 5.2 adults 18-49 rating. The Millers garnered a 2.7, up six tenths from last week's series low 2.1 adults 18-49 rating. The Crazy Ones scored a 2.1, up two tenths from last week's series low 1.9 adults 18-49 rating. Two and a Half Men earned a series low 2.0, down three tenths from its last original's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating. Elementary earned a 1.7, down a tenth from last week's 1.8 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Once Upon A Time in Wonderland earned a series low 0.9, down two tenths from its last original's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating.. Grey's Anatomy earned a 2.7, up a tenth from last week's a 2.6 adults 18-49 rating. Scandal earned a season low 2.7, down two tenths from last week's season low 2.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On NBC, the first The Voice results show earned a series low 2.7 adults 18-49 rating. Sean Saves the World earned a series high 1.7, up six tenths from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating. The Michael J Fox Show scored a 1.3, up two tenths from last week's series low 1.1 adults 18-49 rating. Parenthood earned a 1.5, up three tenths from last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating .

On FOX The X Factor earned a 1.2, down a huge eight tenths from the 2.0 adults 18-49 rating its last regular Thursday telecast earned. Glee returned from hiatus to a series low-tying 1.5 adults 18-49 rating, down from its last original's 2.9 rating (which was a tribute episode) and down from the previous episode's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, The Vampire Diaries scored a 1.2, up three tenths from last week's 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.. Reign matched last week's 0.6 adults 18-49 rating.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #1229
WhiskeyTango

Man, X Factor has turned into a big ole stinkin turd, huh?

I can't believe Glee is guaranteed one more season with the ratings getting this bad pretty quick.

Looks like Scandal is finally coming back down to earth.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #1230
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Looks like Wonderland is not long for this world. I have a bunch of them saved up because of the World Series and because I watch these with my daughter and she hasn't had time to watch. If it's going to get canceled with no resolution, then I'll probably dump them unwatched. I wasn't all that enamored with the pilot, but my daughter liked it.