TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Doggie Bear

"Designated Survivor" - Pilot OAD 9/21/16

Wow, surprised that no one has posted anything yet.

Even though I'd seen most of the opening sequence from trailers (Kirkman in the secure location, on the phone with his daughter; TV feed of the SOTU address fizzing out; Secret Service agents bursting in; Kirkman looking out the window at the explosion in the distance), it still had dramatic heft.

The pilot looks like it had a lot of money spent on it, instead of trying to get by with as few extras as possible (ahem "Blindspot").

I thought Kiefer Sutherland was quite good and managed not to evoke Jack Bauer.

I fear that the subplot with the son is going to be as welcome as Kim Bauer and the mountain lion.

Overall, I was impressed by the pilot and look forward to the show. But I also remember that ABC has had a number of high concept serialized dramas in recent years that have had outstanding pilots and yet collapsed within a year - "Flashforward" and "V" as the most obvious examples. Hope this one goes a different way.

Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
jamesl

saw the pilot

don't think I can go further

it reminds me too much of 24

there's already a treasonous conspiracy brewing

and guessing the the loyalty of a key person -- the secret service agent

and all the various sub plots already developing
(him being fired for one, whether or not the Iranians will retreat in THREE HOURS for another -- was waiting for the clock to start counting down the 3 hour mark)

I like my drama less dramatic

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Cainebj

I liked it.

The whole thing is kinda dumb but I still liked it.

And by dumb, I mean - everyone is at the Capital EXCEPT the key personnel?

Also dumb - Kiefer's constant flip flopping as being presented as not fit for the job to suddenly standing up (although I kind of enjoyed that - i.e., the way he dealt with the Iran ambassador and the know-it-all General).

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
TonyD79

I am watching now. Sort of lost some of it when they brought him to the White House. They think that is safe when the capitol just got blown up? They hid Bush for hours after 9/11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
markp99
TakoKichi

I kept screaming, "Come Jack, just shoot somebody!"

My main gripe: the "Damn the Torpedos" General character has been played a thousand times by now. How predictable and dumb. This might be the deal breaker for me. I'll give it a couple episodes.

I did enjoy the line, "The perimeter is secure." Glad to know Chloe is working in the background.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

...oh, and the glasses on / glasses off thing is distracting.

Just get the president some contact lenses or a quick LASIK procedure and ditch the glasses once and for all.

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I did enjoy the line, "the perimeter is secure." glad to know chloe is working in the background. :d
:d

Old 09-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

And by dumb, I mean - everyone is at the Capital EXCEPT the key personnel?
other than the CIA director which key personnel were not at the capital ?

it was the state of the union address so it makes sense that the house and senate and supreme court and cabinet and pentagon officials weren't there (they were all dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
...Sort of lost some of it when they brought him to the White House. They think that is safe when the capitol just got blown up? ...
yeah, that was dumb
beyond dumb

Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Beryl

I'm in for now but I was able to multitask through it and not feel like rewinding so that doesn't sound promising.

Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #10
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

The Jack Bauer voice just killed it for me.

I'll give it one more episode.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
RickStrobel

I liked it.

Well, except for that huge gaping hole in the plot where they take him to The White House! OK, they fixed it by taking him to some secret underground command center. No wait, now he can stroll outside to the porch by himself.

Putting that aside, I still like it.

Question: how does the teenage kid already know that Secret Service agent who picked him up?

Prediction: it's an inside job and the general is behind it.

RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
it reminds me too much of 24
I thought pretty much the opposite, a couple of times.. Jack Bauer wouldn't be barfing in the bathroom.

Though there were a couple of mentions that seemed specific, but now I can't remember. Maybe direct torture mentions or something? That is, thinks that Jack would have done.

and while the designated survivor thing is real, do they really keep them WITHIN EASY VIEWING DISTANCE? When the TV goes out, etc., I thought they were in an underground bunker or states away or something.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
astrohip

I thought it had a good start for a pilot. Certainly enough interest to watch a couple more.

Warning: Stupid @ss teenagers can kill a show quicker than blowing up Congress. I really don't want to watch that boy act his age. I can't count the number of shows that were decent shows, but had a teenager sub-plot that just made it unwatchable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
and while the designated survivor thing is real, do they really keep them WITHIN EASY VIEWING DISTANCE? When the TV goes out, etc., I thought they were in an underground bunker or states away or something.
That was one thing that struck me right away. You figure one of the few things that can take out a building that size is a nuclear device. So shouldn't the DS be in a Maryland bunker?

OTOH, they needed the plot point of getting him to the WH quickly. So they do what they gotta do.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Never watched '24'

I'm gonna keep watching for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
Tobashadow
Read over there --->

The Capital just blew up killing everyone but you!

Let's take you the new primary target to the White House!

Uhhhh oh Hell No!!!

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #16
ADG
Allan

Actually better than I expected - let's see how long that lasts .

Only wish Sutherland learned an acting style that involved something other than yelling or whispering as the only mode of communicating.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #17
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Overall I liked it. I will keep watching for awhile. Yes that "Let's go back to the White House" was a stupid oversite. But i like Keifer Sutherland enough to keep watching.

No comment about Kal Penn being a speechwriter? At least he has some real world experience there.

TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #18
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Probably one of the better pilots this season (for non-comedy). We both immediately rolled our eyes at the trip to the White House. I was pleasantly surprised to see Maggie Q, I didn't know she was in this. It's always a pleasant surprise to see her on my TV. Not sure about the SS detail; at first I just thought it was his detail, but does the HUD secretary get SS protection? Seems unlikely.

However, they did make it seem like he was familiar and a long-time confidant of the president, based on his conversations in the White House earlier. Maybe he just knows them all. Not sure how his son would know them though.

I thought Sutherland did a good job of not being Jack Bauer (and I watched all seasons of 24).

Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I liked it and will continue watching it but I will agree with others that the teenage son subplot may become annoying pretty fast. There looks to be enough going on without adding that.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #20
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

As David Spade probably would say on SNL Hollywood Minute: "I liked it better the first time I saw it - when it was called Madam Secretary."
Someone in over their head in the executive branch? Check.
Defusing international situations? Check.
Annoying kids, with the older ones having their own subplots? Check.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #21
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
As David Spade probably would say on SNL Hollywood Minute: "I liked it better the first time I saw it - when it was called Madam Secretary."
Someone in over their head in the executive branch? Check.
Defusing international situations? Check.
Annoying kids, with the older ones having their own subplots? Check.
Before that wasn't it Commander in Chief with Geena Davis? I liked that one too so no surprise I liked this one.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
jr461

I liked it enough to go further but on a short leash.

Like everyone else, the teenage son could be too distracting.

Worse yet if the general (telegraphed) or someone else turns out to be undermining his presidency I may also be out soon (this would be the equivalent of the requisite mole in 24!).

Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #23
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Worse yet if the general (telegraphed) or someone else turns out to be undermining his presidency I may also be out soon (this would be the equivalent of the requisite mole in 24!).
Yeah, that's the part that I liked least. They take someone who in real life would be highly intelligent and respectful of the president (whoever it is) and turn him into a war mongering buffoon. There isn't a general officer in the US military who would act as this guy did. And while the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs has the authority to order Defcon status changed, he would NEVER do it while standing next to the President if he did not receive the order to do so, regardless of what he thinks of the president.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Before that wasn't it Commander in Chief with Geena Davis? I liked that one too so no surprise I liked this one.
Before that, wasn't it the new Battlestar Galactica? The Secretary of Education becomes President over the whole rag-tag fleet?

We liked it, but we didn't watch 24 so had nothing to compare it to.

I was shocked that when he got picked as the Designated Survivor, he didn't know what that was. My wife & I both knew that before this show ever came about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #25
jth tv

Initially, at least, it really got to me. One can quibble with the details, but the basic idea is scary and they did a good job of presenting it.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #26
brianric

My ears perked when I hear mentioned the USS Eisenhower heading to the Persian Gulf. I spent 3.5 years on Ike and am a plank owner, someone who was part of the Eisenhower's crew on commissioning day. I remember exactly where I was when Ike was commissioned. I was standing watch as #2 Shutdown Reactor Operator.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #27
RickStrobel

Also, future plot twist: someone will try to have him removed because technically he had already been fired as a cabinet member, so he's not really eligible.

RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #28
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
There isn't a general officer in the US military who would act as this guy did.
Jerry Boykin?
Michael Flynn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Also, future plot twist: someone will try to have him removed because technically he had already been fired as a cabinet member, so he's not really eligible.
Technically, he hadn't. Technically, they (almost?) never are -- they "resign". In this case, he was offered a new position, but he hadn't yet decided on it. He said he would the next day. In the meantime, he hadn't resigned, so he was still Secretary of HUD. Anyway, they clearly knew his status when they named him Designated Survivor.

Spoiler:
However, in the previews, it looks like some people do use this to attack him, if not necessarily from a legal standpoint.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #29
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Technically, he hadn't. Technically, they (almost?) never are -- they "resign". In this case, he was offered a new position, but he hadn't yet decided on it. ...
I didn't watch the whole show
but didn't the speech writer in the bathroom say he had been fired

and he didn't correct him

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #30
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Not sure how it works IRL, but if I came up with a DS plan, he wouldn't be able to able to open a window and see the destruction of the capitol building 2 blocks away. What if it was a dirty bomb, or a backpack nuke? Maybe a state away, or airborne, I should think.

And, really, the COS to the CIC is gonna commit treason? Sounds like a leftist wet dream.

I did like how he owned the Iranian ambassador. "Hey, Bubba, three hours."

Doesn't seem as believable as Madam Secretary yet, but I'll stick with it for a few weeks at least.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote