TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
DeDondeEs

Louie S05E07 & 08 "The Road"

This show is always a rollercoaster ride, but man the most recent episodes seemed very dark with a few funny moments in them.

I always try to find some sort of meaning in the show. I understood the aspect that he had a certain level of frustration with the road, but then all of these side stories were crazy. Louie yelling at the driver in the first part where the driver was brought to tears, then that verbal exchange between Louie and the comedian at the condo where Louie was brought to tears.

Then once you thought Louie was going to loosen up a little and you had the funny "Upper Decker" scene, it quickly ends with the guy cracking his head open.

DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Bob Coxner

For me, Louie has grown more and more self indulgent. I rarely laugh during episodes anymore and, as you say, I don't see much meaning in the drama. Then you have essentially duplicate and traditional sitcom situations where in one episode he accidentally attends the wrong party and then a few episodes later he accidentally attends the wrong funeral.

Seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic. Season 3 began to fade for me as the humor went away and the drama increased. I'm barely hanging on now with season 4.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
efilippi

I too was uncomfortable with the On The Road bits but the recent episode where Louie brought the sleeping over girls to the police station was wonderful. Great TV.

efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

If you're watching Louie for laughs, you're doing it wrong. There may or may not be laughs each week, but there will always be interesting, insightful, well-crafted stories that are usually different than anything else you'll see on TV.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

If you're watching Louie for laughs, you're doing it wrong. There may or may not be laughs each week, but there will always be interesting, insightful, well-crafted stories that are usually different than anything else you'll see on TV.
Exactly. I view the show as experimental comedy. Yes, there is some very funny stuff at times, but much of the show isn't funny, at least not in the traditional sense. I can see where one might consider it to be "self indulgent", but I view it as an auteur pushing his craft in new directions. Some episodes are more successful than others, but overall I think it's a brilliant show.

I believe I read a while back that Louie gave up a lot of money in order to maintain total control over his show. I applaud him for this. Whether or not you like where the show has gone, it's completely unlike anything else on TV. This is what happens when a highly talented and creative mind is given full reign and doesn't have to kowtow to the execs at the network. The end result won't be for everyone, but I think television needs more people taking chances like this.

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote