TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,824
The Newsroom Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Glad it's back.
My favorite moments are always between Will and Charlie. Sam Waterston is great in the roll.
I'm guessing the season and series ends with the network sold to a social media empire...
__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,602
Yep, glad it's back. It's probably not very realistic, but I'm a sucker for Sorkin's dialog. I wish they'd use Munn more, she's the best character.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,502
Wow.. only 6 episodes for the final season? I'm going to wait and watch them all in a day.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
KenDC
Huggy Bear
 
KenDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 14,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yep, glad it's back. It's probably not very realistic, but I'm a sucker for Sorkin's dialog. I wish they'd use Munn more, she's the best character.
Not to mention, she is very easy on the eyes.

Sad reliving the Boston Marathon bombing.
__________________
Sweat every day.
KenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules
 
NorthAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: rocket city, al
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yep, glad it's back. It's probably not very realistic, but I'm a sucker for Sorkin's dialog. I wish they'd use Munn more, she's the best character.

__________________


The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 12,356
Suddenly Sorkinland is burning me out.

Everyone talks so smugly and eloquently.

OF COURSE, they made great speeches about getting the story right.

OF COURSE, Maggie was brilliant on camera.

OF COURSE, Neel got another great story tip.

Olivia Munn is still reciting her lines like she wishes to get it over with.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 11-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
TriBruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Suddenly Sorkinland is burning me out.

Everyone talks so smugly and eloquently.

OF COURSE, they made great speeches about getting the story right.

OF COURSE, Maggie was brilliant on camera.

OF COURSE, Neel got another great story tip.

Olivia Munn still reciting her lines like she wishes to get it over with.
This is kind of how feel about the show. AWN always waits until the get the facts before presenting them. Well it is easy to get the facts right when you write the show 1 or more years later. Then they all talk about how wonderful they are and better than the rest of the media for not jumping.

Sorry, but if EVERY other network is covering a potential terrorist event and your network is running a story about a Supreme Court decision, you are stupid. You have footage of an explosion (or two.) Is it too difficult to say "We have reports and footage of potential explosions at the Boston Marathon. At this time, we have no indication of the cause of the explosing, but we are monitoring reports of causalities and have reporters on the way."

For a six episode season, there is already too many plot lines. Either deal with the Neal issue or the hostile takeover.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
I recorded it on the Latin channel by mistake, so I had to wait until it ran on English HBO again and just watched it today.

I thought it started slow, but it really ramped up by the end. I love Sorkin. I was particularly amused by the "Lets do Sports" reference, but the awkwardness of the early part of the show was all gone by the finale and now I'm ready for more Newsroom!
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I recorded it on the Latin channel by mistake, so I had to wait until it ran on English HBO again and just watched it today.

I thought it started slow, but it really ramped up by the end. I love Sorkin. I was particularly amused by the "Lets do Sports" reference, but the awkwardness of the early part of the show was all gone by the finale and now I'm ready for more Newsroom!
I kept thinking "and we could hire Josh Charles and Peter Krause to be the anchors"

Good start to the season. If they could do away with the silly romance and stick with the other stories, I'd like it much better though.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I kept thinking "and we could hire Josh Charles and Peter Krause to be the anchors"

Good start to the season. If they could do away with the silly romance and stick with the other stories, I'd like it much better though.
If there's one area where Sorkin's magic fails it's romance. Most of his characterizations of romance have this awkward stiltedness (word?) to them.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
zordude
WDW Fan
 
zordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 11,341
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
This is kind of how feel about the show. AWN always waits until the get the facts before presenting them. Well it is easy to get the facts right when you write the show 1 or more years later.
I'm not sure that's relevant. It's even easier to get the facts right because you are writing a TV show and you get to choose who gets the facts right.
__________________
Crotch facing, butt facing, or Anubis style if possible. - jsmeeker
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,862
But Aaron Sorkin shows have never been about how things are. They're about how things should be (at least, in Aaron Sorkin's mind). Aspirational, not descriptive.
__________________
“You know, this badge means something.”
“You made it at Kinko's.”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But Aaron Sorkin shows have never been about how things are. They're about how things should be (at least, in Aaron Sorkin's mind). Aspirational, not descriptive.
But inside the show he's drawing a comparison between how things are (actual things that happened on CNN and Fox News) and how fictional ACN does them with the benefit of a year of hindsight. He's telling the real media to do better by comparing them to a fictional aspirational newscast that has a year to get it right.

ACN is a cable channel right? They have local affiliates?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
But inside the show he's drawing a comparison between how things are (actual things that happened on CNN and Fox News) and how fictional ACN does them with the benefit of a year of hindsight. He's telling the real media to do better by comparing them to a fictional aspirational newscast that has a year to get it right.
Exactly! ??? (I never said aspirational art is fair; by its nature it isn't. You always have the benefit of sitting back and thinking about it before you do art. It's kind of like coming up with the perfect comeback the day after you're in a situation. But that's what Sorkin has always done.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
ACN is a cable channel right? They have local affiliates?
They have local bureaus. They've shown fights before over whether the Washington bureau or the main studio in New York will control a specific story.
__________________
“You know, this badge means something.”
“You made it at Kinko's.”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Exactly! ??? (I never said aspirational art is fair; by its nature it isn't. You always have the benefit of sitting back and thinking about it before you do art. It's kind of like coming up with the perfect comeback the day after you're in a situation. But that's what Sorkin has always done.)
His other stuff hasn't had the real thing side by side with the fantasy thing, inside the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They have local bureaus. They've shown fights before over whether the Washington bureau or the main studio in New York will control a specific story.
They had an "affiliate" in Boston. It had call letters and a news van (with the call letters on it) and everything.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post


They had an "affiliate" in Boston. It had call letters and a news van (with the call letters on it) and everything.
I think they have reciprocal agreements with affiliates in different cities. I know I've seen CNN reporters occasionally on our local CW (I think), and maybe they have agreements the other way. Obviously Fox News is owned by the same company that owns our local Fox and My# channel, so they share resources. Maybe that's the kind of agreement they have.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,809
Well, I for one thought it was a very good episode. My wife was impressed when I knew immediately they were going for a snowden-ish plot when encryption was brought up. Although the marathon attack was a significant event, they are approaching it similarly to what they were going for previously - not reporting early, getting facts confirmed etc. I think a snowden-esque leak will have a lot more material for interesting plot lines and interesting philosophical questions. I still consider it a pretty complex issue from the journalism side of things.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
But inside the show he's drawing a comparison between how things are (actual things that happened on CNN and Fox News) and how fictional ACN does them with the benefit of a year of hindsight. He's telling the real media to do better by comparing them to a fictional aspirational newscast that has a year to get it right.

ACN is a cable channel right? They have local affiliates?
I'm not sure I follow your point. The idea of waiting until you had confirmation and two source is not a Sorkin-ism, it used to be a tenet of Journalism. It was abandoned in the "race to be first", and Sorkin is simply saying they should go back to that.

Sure, he has the benefit of waiting a year to write that, but you could write that 20 years later and it would still be true.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
They had an "affiliate" in Boston. It had call letters and a news van (with the call letters on it) and everything.
CNN has stations that they call affiliates. Sometimes more than one station in a market.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules
 
NorthAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: rocket city, al
Posts: 3,284
i liked the ep (no surprise), and the continued softening of reese's portrayal towards an ally (continued from last season's finale).

however; my opinion of the boston story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
Sorry, but if EVERY other network is covering a potential terrorist event...Is it too difficult to say "We have reports and footage of potential explosions at the Boston Marathon.
i'm in total agreement, genoa, or no genoa. mac saw smoke watching the event, live, as it happened. next, every other news outlet is reporting - go on the air already, say there was an event, and report what you know. learn from the mistakes of not covering the anthony trial.
__________________


The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm not sure I follow your point. The idea of waiting until you had confirmation and two source is not a Sorkin-ism, it used to be a tenet of Journalism. It was abandoned in the "race to be first", and Sorkin is simply saying they should go back to that.

Sure, he has the benefit of waiting a year to write that, but you could write that 20 years later and it would still be true.
In concert with the idea of waiting till you get your facts straight is their ratings and therefore revenue sliding into layoff/buyout territory.

I think highlighting the fact that news is its own P&L center and that they have to race to the bottom of principles in order to be profitable would be interesting.
Many news agencies are laying off journalists and trying to reprint somebody else's news which they talked about with the CNN failure.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm not sure I follow your point. The idea of waiting until you had confirmation and two source is not a Sorkin-ism, it used to be a tenet of Journalism. It was abandoned in the "race to be first", and Sorkin is simply saying they should go back to that.

Sure, he has the benefit of waiting a year to write that, but you could write that 20 years later and it would still be true.
In hindsight you can pick and choose the stories when that would have been beneficial to do, and not show the stories where you get scooped. Yes, it was a plot point last night that they were last on the air, but, they got it right in the end.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #23
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
In concert with the idea of waiting till you get your facts straight is their ratings and therefore revenue sliding into layoff/buyout territory.

I think highlighting the fact that news is its own P&L center and that they have to race to the bottom of principles in order to be profitable would be interesting.
Many news agencies are laying off journalists and trying to reprint somebody else's news which they talked about with the CNN failure.
This is a perfectly valid point. News used to be a "public good" and didn't have to make a profit. Anderson Cooper makes the point that he once asked Walter Cronkite what Walters ratings were and Cronkite had no idea. Ratings weren't important to the news back then.

I've long argued that they shouldn't be now, either. News is supposed to be valuable and informative information. The profit motive alters that dynamic and we get tabloid nonsense and irresponsible acts like reporting names of people who are not actually suspects.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
In hindsight you can pick and choose the stories when that would have been beneficial to do, and not show the stories where you get scooped. Yes, it was a plot point last night that they were last on the air, but, they got it right in the end.
My argument is that ALL stories it's right to do that on. "Getting Scooped" isn't the worst thing in the world. Getting it wrong is.

Woodward and Bernstein didn't run with Watergate until they had more information than just one source, and that was a pretty important story. Journalism isn't supposed to be as useless as posting "First!" in a comment thread.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #25
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
My argument is that ALL stories it's right to do that on. "Getting Scooped" isn't the worst thing in the world. Getting it wrong is.

Woodward and Bernstein didn't run with Watergate until they had more information than just one source, and that was a pretty important story. Journalism isn't supposed to be as useless as posting "First!" in a comment thread.
The Boston Marathon bombing and Watergate are two entirely different types of news stories. You can go on the air with a breaking news story that is happening live in front of people without having every single fact at the time you go on air. Just report on what you do know and what can be seen and stop speculating and reporting on erroneous facts that don't have multiple sources. CNN could have covered it the way they did but not gone forward with John King's incorrect reporting on the arrest.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #26
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
My argument is that ALL stories it's right to do that on. "Getting Scooped" isn't the worst thing in the world. Getting it wrong is.

Woodward and Bernstein didn't run with Watergate until they had more information than just one source, and that was a pretty important story. Journalism isn't supposed to be as useless as posting "First!" in a comment thread.
You still have the benefit of starting with "where did the real media not doing what it's supposed to do cost them" when telling the story of how to do it right.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
You still have the benefit of starting with "where did the real media not doing what it's supposed to do cost them" when telling the story of how to do it right.
Again I don't see what you are trying to get at.

Surely you aren't suggesting that fiction can not examine alternate views on how things are done? Surely you aren't suggesting that using hindsight to examine real events and suggest improvements is somehow a bad thing?
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The Boston Marathon bombing and Watergate are two entirely different types of news stories. You can go on the air with a breaking news story that is happening live in front of people without having every single fact at the time you go on air. Just report on what you do know and what can be seen and stop speculating and reporting on erroneous facts that don't have multiple sources. CNN could have covered it the way they did but not gone forward with John King's incorrect reporting on the arrest.
And don't cover it non-stop for hours on end with no information. CNN famously had reporters in the same parking lot talking as if they were far apart, throwing questions to one another to give themselves a false air of knowledge, to appear more significant than they really were.

The coverage of the Boston Marathon Bombing is an excellent example of show over substance. The networks were busy showing how important they were and how good they were at doing coverage that they actually failed to do journalism. It was more about CNN than it was about the bombing. When reporters are reduced to talking about "police cars are going by, something must be going on" for 20 minutes or so, you know they have no information.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
And don't cover it non-stop for hours on end with no information. CNN famously had reporters in the same parking lot talking as if they were far apart, throwing questions to one another to give themselves a false air of knowledge, to appear more significant than they really were.
That reminds me of something local stations do that always bugs me...the reporter "live in the field" (regardless as to whether there is anything newsworthy at that moment about the spot where she is standing) gives her report, but leaves out a key piece of information. The, when she tosses it back to the studio, the anchor asks her about that bit and she gives an obviously prepared answer. I suppose the reason is to involve the anchors in the reporting, but the impression I always prefer to get is that they're pretending the reporter is too stupid and/or incompetent to do her job, and needs the anchor to remind her of the key aspects of the story that she forget. And the reporter will get her revenge when she becomes an anchor, and gets to pretend that the newby reporter is an incompetent moron.
__________________
“You know, this badge means something.”
“You made it at Kinko's.”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #30
aindik
Registered User
 
aindik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Again I don't see what you are trying to get at.

Surely you aren't suggesting that fiction can not examine alternate views on how things are done? Surely you aren't suggesting that using hindsight to examine real events and suggest improvements is somehow a bad thing?
Using hindsight to examine real events and suggest improvement is a good thing as long as the use of hindsight doesn't make the suggested improvement unfairly impracticable for future people who won't have the benefit of hindsight and won't have a year to react.

If you're holding real people to the same standards of performance of fictional characters whose actions, and environment, are scripted, you're probably not being fair to the real people who react in real time.

You can state your principles. But there's a case by case analysis that goes on too, and in real media it happens in minutes whereas in fiction it happens in months but is made to appear like it happened in minutes.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |