TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Wayward Pines: Ep3 - "Our Town, Our Law" OAD 5-28-2015

I mentioned it in one of the threads about the show before it aired, but I think now we know why Juliette Lewis and Terrence Howard's current roles on other shows would not have stopped the show from becoming a series.

There was a pretty MAJOR deviation from the book in this episode. I am guessing it is being done to cut out a subplot that they decided was not needed for the series.

The difference was that
Spoiler:
In the Book, Ethan's wife and son had been living in the town for years before he first woke up.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
3D

In case it's not obvious, that spoiler should only be read by book readers.

ETA:

Spoiler:
Additional discussion removed to book reader thread

Last edited by 3D; 05-31-2015 at 04:12 PM.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

If others want me to remove it then I will, but I think I was pretty clear about what I was putting in the spoiler tag.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Very interesting episode.

I guess the most obvious first question is what was waiting outside the fence that took the sheriff's body? We've been made to think that the fence is keeping the people in, but is the fence actually keeping something else out? If the latter, why is that something not a threat to the rest of the world outside of Wayward Pines?

It appears the sheriff and/or other townsfolk stage accidents and drug the passengers in order to bring people into the town. I'm assuming that's why all those cars were stored in that facility. What was going on with that facility, anyway? All of those structures seemed to be housing commodities, like flour, sugar, salt, etc. Is the town completely self sustaining?

In the first couple episodes, we got the sense that Kate was fully brainwashed into this new situation, but we find out in this episode that she tried for years to find a way out and never could. And it seems that many of the townsfolk would like to oppose the system, but they can't do so openly for fear of being "reckoned." The realtor seemed sympathetic to Ethan's situation and wanted to provide info to him without tipping off "big brother."

I'm very excited now to see the next episode, to find out if the absence of the sheriff will lead to open revolution in the town, or if the nurse and whoever was on the phone, who is clearly in charge, can maintain the status quo.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I have to admit I'm really liking this series after not being sure I would before watching (and almost didn't bother). It still feels a lot like The Prisoner to me and less like something like Twin Peaks. I am also curious what happens to the town now that the Sheriff is no more. And what the heck is on the other side of the wall? Sounded a lot like the Smoke Monster from Lost to me.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
3D

In an abundance of caution, I have deleted this post and taken the discussion to the book reader thread.

In any event, I appreciate that you start these threads, as I am also a big fan of the books and have been enjoying the adaptation. I'm a little disappointed it hasn't caught on more with viewers, although it seems like it might be picking up some steam.

Last edited by 3D; 05-31-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I seriously doubt anyone is reading the books along with watching the show and trying to stay at the same point in each. It's possible people have just read the first book and are watching the show. In any case, if you haven't finished reading the books or don't want to be spoiled about the difference between book and show, you don't click on Maui's spoiler. I think he made it pretty clear what his spoiler was about.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
3D

In an abundance of caution, I have deleted this post and taken the discussion to the book reader thread.

Last edited by 3D; 05-31-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
DLiquid
Progressive User

What dragged off the sheriff's body looked like a humanoid figure to me, possibly without clothing.

If it weren't for the scene with the sheriff pulling over the wife and son, I would think Wayward Pines is either in another time, like in the distant future where Morlocks drag off dead bodies, or on another planet. But the sheriff seemed to be in the "real world" when he pulled them over, and if it's that easy to go back and forth from Wayward Pines to the real world, that makes it seem as simple as a fenced-in town in our world.

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
What dragged off the sheriff's body looked like a humanoid figure to me, possibly without clothing.

If it weren't for the scene with the sheriff pulling over the wife and son, I would think Wayward Pines is either in another time, like in the distant future where Morlocks drag off dead bodies, or on another planet. But the sheriff seemed to be in the "real world" when he pulled them over, and if it's that easy to go back and forth from Wayward Pines to the real world, that makes it seem as simple as a fenced-in town in our world.
Don't forget that we've also seen the doctor in Seattle as well.

I'm going to guess though that they're either in Purgatory or Jurassic Park.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I am also curious what happens to the town now that the Sheriff is no more. And what the heck is on the other side of the wall? Sounded a lot like the Smoke Monster from Lost to me.
LOL I hope they have a better explanation than they did for the Smoke Monster.

I predict they're trying to put Ethan in charge. That's why the sheriff hated him so much. They brought in his replacement. They'd better have a pretty good story if they expect him to cooperate.

You'd think they would have the "rules" written in the new house for the new people.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The show is already suffering from the bad writing blight -- easily asked and answered questions never even get asked by the characters. Information is withheld for no apparent reason except to further the angsty storyline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I am listening to a very interesting episode of KCRW's The Spin Off podcast with Chad Hodge, the show runner of Wayward Pines. He talks about how much he loved the original book, getting the rights to produce it, and the development of the series. If you have liked the show at all, I highly recommend listening.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/sho...-wayward-pines

Old 05-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
The show is already suffering from the bad writing blight -- easily asked and answered questions never even get asked by the characters. Information is withheld for no apparent reason except to further the angsty storyline.
I'm not sure who would be giving this information...it seems to me the only people who would know what's going on are the ones behind the conspiracy, who certainly aren't going to be talking. As for everybody else, breaking the rules seems to be punishable by being strung up in front of the town and having your throat slit, and one of the rules is not talking about your life outside Wayward Pines, so even if anybody did know anything, they'd have a pretty powerful incentive not to mention it...

Old 05-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
If others want me to remove it then I will, but I think I was pretty clear about what I was putting in the spoiler tag.
I haven't read the books but went ahead and read your spoiler and it didn't mean much to me really LOL so I say - who cares?

I am enjoying it.
I still don't understand why Kate says she has been there for 12 years when Matt Dillon keeps saying they were together 5 weeks ago.

Thought it was silly for him to leave them in the house 10 minutes after he is reunited with them.

Terrence in the kitchen eating ice cream. He is super creepy.

The thing that took the Sheriff away?
I am pretty sure it is one of the Boogie Men from March of The Wooden Soldiers.

Last edited by Cainebj; 05-29-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I still don't understand why Kate says she has been there for 12 years when Matt Dillon keeps saying they were together 5 weeks ago.
Time is definitely wonky. Not only did Kate experience five weeks as twelve years, but the waitress experienced 15 years as one year. Not quite sure how that works in practical terms, but hopefully we'll find out.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Time is definitely wonky. Not only did Kate experience five weeks as twelve years, but the waitress experienced 15 years as one year. Not quite sure how that works in practical terms, but hopefully we'll find out.
I would have asked Kate how long she knew the waitress. Of course, the answer could just make things more confusing.

I'm surprised there wasn't any time weirdness discussed when Ethan's wife showed up in Wayward Pines. Based on what we've seen, it seems like the same amount of time has passed for both Ethan and his wife.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

So many thoughts on this show.

Is there a time warp going on, or memory implants?

Remember back when Ethan was in the hospital and "saw" his wife and kid being wheeled in...before they arrived? Then they ended up arriving and going to the hospital.

Why didn't the sheriff kill Ethan when he had so many chances?

Why were there speakers in the bushes playing cricket sounds?

Why was the dead agent left chained up in a bed in an abandoned house? And Beverly?

Why did the guy at the secret service tip off someone (Sheriff presumably) that Ethan's wife and kid were coming? The Secret Service is behind this?

Anyway I'm enjoying it but it's a mindf. The only issue I have is the dialog doesn't feel like the dialog that real people would be having if thrown into similar circumstances. This seemed particularly noticeable between Ethan, his wife, and the son when they arrive at the house. As mentioned, kind of like LOST, so the viewer won't be spoiled.

TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #19
wprager

I don't think it's a time warp. I think he has been in that town for 10 years (or whatever that was) and they staged the accident in an attempt to re-integrate him into the town. They may have done that several times. Same with the Beverly -- she thinks she's been there a year but it's been 15. They integrate them in, they live within the rules, then something happens and they have to wipe their memory and try again. Why do they bother trying with some and not others? Not sure. Maybe the dead agent really did kill himself because he did not want to continue to live like that.

Anyhow, if I'm way off, it wouldn't be the first time.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #20
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

Hmm. That's interesting. It would make more sense that they altered Ethan's memory or Beverly's, so there doesn't have to be any kind of sci fi time shifts going on. I'm not sure if perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention, but didn't Ethan's wife and son act like Ethan had only been missing a relatively short time? It didn't register to me like they were acting as if Ethan had been missing for years.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
connie_w

I was thinking they were all in Purgatory, seems like it would make sense with the "reckoning" references and perhaps could explain the differences in perception of time. However, I have some doubt Purgatory would be wired up with cricket speakers in the bushes, though. Then the Sheriff made a comment that leaving Wayward Pines, what is on the other side of the fence is much more dangerous and maybe they are in some sort of biosphere dome. I've been thinking space aliens/monsters/zombies. Cricket speakers in a lab environment like the biosphere could make sense. Then, I've also thought perhaps it's just someone who is in a dream/nightmare state where things can make sense and make no sense all at the same time. But the wired cricket speakers foil that theory as well. I'm really loving this show, so far. It's fun to guess what is really going on.

connie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #22
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Am I the only one hoping it was a polar bear?

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #23
stellie93

This show definitely defies logic. The time discrepancies, the idea that someone can drive up to the town from the outside, and yet it seems like there is something creepy out there when you're in the town.....

If it's not just control freaks gone wild, then why do the 2 most evil people he's come across--the nurse and the sheriff--seem to be the ones in charge. And who was on the phone? He seemed to be trying to keep them in line, but then I'd assume he's the one who chose them to be the boss in the first place.

Kate said she and her husband didn't turn them in--so who did?

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
the idea that someone can drive up to the town from the outside, and yet it seems like there is something creepy out there when you're in the town.....
We haven't seen that you can drive up to the town from the outside. There has been an "accident" where people are unconscious when brought into town. Who knows where the town is (in time/space) related to where these accidents occur. The Wayward Pines that the locals refer to may in fact not be the same place that we are watching on the show. I would be really surprised if it was the same place, since it would be hard to keep a fenced in town a secret.

Quote:
Kate said she and her husband didn't turn them in--so who did?
The whole town is bugged, so the evil overlords could have presumably listened to the whole dinner conversation.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
This show definitely defies logic. The time discrepancies, the idea that someone can drive up to the town from the outside, and yet it seems like there is something creepy out there when you're in the town.....
actually now that you mention it...
I did think it was odd that the Sheriff was outside of the town to sabotage the car.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #26
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Maybe it's a different reality thing, where there sending people that just don't matter to that reality as food. aka "To Serve Man"

DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Don't forget that we've also seen the doctor in Seattle as well.
When did we see the doctor (Toby Jones) in Seattle? Was it in a flashback, or presumably in the current time period?

Old 05-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #28
KDeFlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
When did we see the doctor (Toby Jones) in Seattle? Was it in a flashback, or presumably in the current time period
Dr. Jenkins was in the Seattle "now" timeline, talking with Adam Hassler about how there is nothing to worry about (and that "it" cannot be called off at this point).

I'm tracking everything as if the show is telling the story out of order. (Remember when LOST has us all thinking we were seeing a flashback and it turned out to be the first flash-forward? Gotcha!) The Seattle scenes may all be taking place in a time before the action we see in Wayward Pines. In Seattle/Boise time, for instance, Kate and Bill Evans have only recently disappeared; then Kate arrives in WP, 10 years pass, Bill pops up, another 2 years pass, then Ethan arrives. I think the sheriff we see "fixing" Theresa's car is actually much younger than Pope is in WP -- but this is completely my own brain trying to force logic onto a mystery. I'll gladly jump ship to the clones-in-a-parallel-universe when more evidence comes to light.

Still having loads of fun with it all!

KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

All I know is, because of this show, I bought Rum Raisin ice cream today.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDeFlane View Post
Dr. Jenkins was in the Seattle "now" timeline, talking with Adam Hassler about how there is nothing to worry about (and that "it" cannot be called off at this point).
Was that Ep. 1 or 2?