Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

TC CLUB MEMBER
Pitch S1E1 Pilot 9/22/2016 spoilers

I enjoyed this quite a lot! I really liked the premise of the first female MLB player, and they went all out showing it on TV with Joe Buck and all.

Did not see the twist coming with her father actually being dead and just a vision in the present time scenes.

Also took me more than halfway through to recognize the catcher as Mark Paul Gossler (Zach Morris). Wow did he look different with a bushy beard.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #2
Beryl

I'm in. The "massive fail first time at the mount" was painfully predictable and I was thrown by the dead father twist but I enjoyed the ride.

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
TonyD79

A bit slow but most of the characters were engaging.

Not sure how they will sustain the story but I will continue to watch. I'm a baseball junkie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Hah! I called the father twist immediately when I saw him sitting in the stands the very first time. I have to say that car accident with the hole in the driver's side window looked... gruesome. Sometimes it's what you don't show...

I could NOT remember where I'd seen Mark Paul Gosselaar for the longest time. The beard really confused me even though I knew that he hadn't had it last time. Finally IMDb came to my rescue: Franklin & Bash! I really liked that show *sigh*.

This has real potential to end up a hot mess, but I'm in for now.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
bruinfan

Tried to watch, can't watch. Can't get past her throwing motion. Her fastball can't top 60. Watching major leaguers whiff on those takes me away from any good this show might have.

bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
cstelter

I couldn't imagine how they could make an entire series out of the show-- but it seems to me they may be going for an entire series ala the movie "For the love of the game". Each week learning equal parts about the present and her past.

I also did not see the Father angle coming which made it more compelling.

Still not convinced there is an entire series here, but it should make for at least a few good episodes and maybe even one season.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
Ruth
Now with toddler

I enjoyed it. I don't watch baseball (or know anything about it, really), so I wasn't bothered by any inadequacies in her pitches or anything like that. But I liked the premise and strong female lead, and some of the supporting characters as well. Interesting to see where they go with it.

Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
caslu

I also liked it quite a bit, definitely did not see the father twist coming but the story seems more like a tv movie than a series to me. Is there really that much to tell here?

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
innocentfreak

I will give it another episode or two, but I was not impressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:19 AM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know how anyone could say there may not be enough plot in this setting. Just like how could they make a show about an office? Or a group of friends? Surely there are many stories to be written about a MLB franchise, even if there wasn't the drama with the first woman player.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #11
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

I only watched the 2nd half, but I thought her thing was not the fastball, but the screwball? As a right hander, that probably means there's going to be a few episodes where she's going to have problems with left handed batters hitting homers off of her if she sticks with the screwball.

--Carlos "breaks down-and-away for lefties" V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I don't know how anyone could say there may not be enough plot in this setting. Just like how could they make a show about an office? Or a group of friends? Surely there are many stories to be written about a MLB franchise, even if there wasn't the drama with the first woman player.

That's just it. The shows you mention are general settings. Stories that happen. This is a specific show about the first woman MLB player. Not a show about a baseball team.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
BRiT wtfdotcom

Not interested in the show at all. All my baseball itchings are already covered better by Bull Durham, Major League, Money Ball, and original Bad News Bears.

BRiT wtfdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
Tried to watch, can't watch. Can't get past her throwing motion. Her fastball can't top 60. Watching major leaguers whiff on those takes me away from any good this show might have.
Even in the show's universe, they say that her fastball is only something like 85. It's the screwball that her father taught her that got her this far, and near the end of the episode, somebody tells her that the other 31 teams are already trying to find a way to beat it.

I was waiting for the explanation for her poor start to be...
Spoiler:
that, most of the time, half the crowd was yelling at her to get off the field because she was female, but most of the people at Petco Park were there to see her pitch (and most of the rest were Padres fans or Dodger haters anyway), so what detractors were in the crowd couldn't be heard by her, and it got her off her game

One thing I did like; she was pulled in the middle of the 7th (IIRC) rather than letting her throw a complete game, and over her objections. It reminded me of Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, when the Giants' reliever that had given up 3 runs in the 7th talked the manager out of pulling him, against the manager's better judgment, and the Giants gave up 3 more runs in the 8th and lost.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:57 AM   #15
smak
TV MA SLV

Ok, that was some horrible pitch graphics, and i'm not so sure a national league team would try her out, because I'd guess she'd probably bat around .000, but other than that I liked it.

As for how fast her fastball is, Greg Maddox, one of the greatest picture of all time, had a fastball at around 85 the last few years of his career, so it's not impossible, but Maddox was one of the best control pitchers in history.

-smak-

smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:58 AM   #16
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

One thing I did like; she was pulled in the middle of the 7th (IIRC) rather than letting her throw a complete game, and over her objections. It reminded me of Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, when the Giants' reliever that had given up 3 runs in the 7th talked the manager out of pulling him, against the manager's better judgment, and the Giants gave up 3 more runs in the 8th and lost.
I think in real life baseball there's no chance she faces the Giants best hitter with the bases loaded earlier in the game.

I think there's no chance any pitcher in their 2nd game does.

They would want to get out of it positively, and giving up 7 runs through 4 or 5, or whatever it was, wouldn't be.

-smak-

Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 AM   #17
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
That's just it. The shows you mention are general settings. Stories that happen. This is a specific show about the first woman MLB player. Not a show about a baseball team.

Seinfeld was a specific show about a stand up comedian, yet....

-smak-

Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Seinfeld was a specific show about a stand up comedian, yet....

-smak-

Humor?

Seinfeld was a show about nothing. The fact that he was a stand up played almost no role in a show that claimed it was about nothing.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #19
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Ok, that was some horrible pitch graphics, and i'm not so sure a national league team would try her out, because I'd guess she'd probably bat around .000, but other than that I liked it.
Yes!! I'm sure the show worked a deal with the Padres but I agree, it would be much more realistic (less unrealistic?) on an AL team. Since I'm in Boston that didn't even register with me at first .

Who knows, maybe she's a decent at-bat. There are certainly pitchers, even in the NL, who can't hit very well.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #20
Cainebj

I liked it.
I did not find the first section with the lousy pitching to be predictable and I was caught off guard with the Dad twist.
I'm curious to see where they go with it.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #21
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Yes!! I'm sure the show worked a deal with the Padres
They worked a deal with MLB. First time any series has done it to this extreme. That's why they're able to show real ballparks (instead of "SuperBurger Field"), real players, real announcers... well, you get it.

I'm a baseball fan, but didn't let that get in the way of the show. If I did, I'd have a TCF thread debate going on in my head the entire episode.

I liked the pilot. Can they keep it up?

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
TonyD79

Barely any sports shows or movies stand up to actual athletic achievement so I always look past that.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I really really wanted to like this show, but I just didn't. First of all the main character was a stuck up jerk. If she were a guy, she would have been put in her place rather quickly. She was arrogant with an attitude that she was better than the established stars. Second, in real baseball, after a performance like that she gets sent down to the minors, especially since it was a spot start. And no owner, woman or not, would allow her to stay when she's clearly not ready. So now not only is the main character totally unlikable but what happened to her was totally unrealistic.

And to add to the trouble was the fact that Joe Buck was included and had about the worst lines written for a sportscaster in the history of sportscaster cameos. Plus it felt like a shill for Fox Sports (which is okay in the scheme of things, Blackish was MUCH worse shilling Walt Disney World this past week).

I'll stick around mostly because I'm a big baseball fan, and I'm hopeful it will get better, but I have my doubts.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #24
Ruth
Now with toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I really really wanted to like this show, but I just didn't. First of all the main character was a stuck up jerk. If she were a guy, she would have been put in her place rather quickly. She was arrogant with an attitude that she was better than the established stars.
This is interesting because I didn't see anything like this. I didn't read it as her being arrogant or superior at all, just trying to establish that she was tough and wouldn't be easily pushed around/hazed even though she was a woman. To me it seemed totally necessary for her to show some attitude if she wanted to be taken at all seriously by the team. To me, her actions seemed consistent with how women need to push back in a lot of different male-dominated settings if they want to be taken seriously and not be a target.

I think my read on it is what they were going for, but obviously didn't get there for everyone . . . I wonder if there's a gender split in how people view the character. I'd bet there is.

Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #25
TonyD79

Quote:
I really really wanted to like this show, but I just didn't. First of all the main character was a stuck up jerk. If she were a guy, she would have been put in her place rather quickly. She was arrogant with an attitude that she was better than the established stars.
Sounds like you don't know many baseball players. Steve, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Harper.

Anyway, she wasn't stuck up or arrogant. She was self-assured. She acted just like most successful athletes would in that situation. Did you think she was stuck up because she didn't talk to the assistant guy? That is pre-game ritual. In fact, the autographs she gave to the fans before warmups were more out of character than her keeping within herself.

As for her interactions with the players...huh? She was friends with one. She had a nice chat with the leader of the team. She was only snarky with the guy who belittled her.

Quote:
Second, in real baseball, after a performance like that she gets sent down to the minors, especially since it was a spot start. And no owner, woman or not, would allow her to stay when she's clearly not ready. So now not only is the main character totally unlikable but what happened to her was totally unrealistic.

As for being sent down. They explained that. They didn't want to look bad and still believed in her. Not everyone is always demoted right away. Especially if it is part of a publicity stunt (see Mr. Tebow) or the people running the team believe she can do it.

BTW, she did very well in her next outing, so your judgement would have been wrong.

Quote:
And to add to the trouble was the fact that Joe Buck was included and had about the worst lines written for a sportscaster in the history of sportscaster cameos.
You must not watch many sports movies. It was a bit simplistic but seemed appropriate to me.

Quote:
Plus it felt like a shill for Fox Sports (which is okay in the scheme of things, Blackish was MUCH worse shilling Walt Disney World this past week).
Funny, as I watched blackish (the show is lower case), I wondered how Disney cleared it. They made fun of the lines at Disney for 20 minutes. I wouldn't call that shilling.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #26
bruinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Even in the show's universe, they say that her fastball is only something like 85. It's the screwball that her father taught her that got her this far, and near the end of the episode, somebody tells her that the other 31 teams are already trying to find a way to beat it.
Quote:
As for how fast her fastball is, Greg Maddox, one of the greatest picture of all time, had a fastball at around 85 the last few years of his career, so it's not impossible, but Maddox was one of the best control pitchers in history.

-smak-
my point is, watching her throw, there is no way a ball leaves her hand at 85mph. i know they say it's 85, but there is no way that throwing motion generates 85. for me, it's distracting. cuz i'm watching major leaguers whiff at balls that can't be going faster than your best little leaguers.
i don't care how good her screwball is.

it would be like watching an actor with a crappy swing "hit it 300 yds". distracting if you are a golfer.

bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #27
mattack

Thought it was fairly entertaining, the father twist got me.. I too thought the "she chokes the first time out" part was very predictable.

Was pretty decent, will add it to my new shows to keep watching at least for a while, even though I'm largely a sports hater.. (Olympics + Little League WS are about the only sports I regularly watch.. and you can see how relatively infrequent those are.) But e.g. SportsNight was a great TV show.. so even if I don't like the basic "topic", I can like the show.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #28
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
my point is, watching her throw, there is no way a ball leaves her hand at 85mph. i know they say it's 85, but there is no way that throwing motion generates 85. for me, it's distracting. cuz i'm watching major leaguers whiff at balls that can't be going faster than your best little leaguers.

i don't care how good her screwball is.

Yah, totally agree

-smak-

Old Today, 07:05 AM   #29
Family

If they could have had her choke by throwing balls that were at least plausible. I don't think Steve Blass was even this bad.

Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #30
Bars & Tone
Will Draw for Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
If they could have had her choke by throwing balls that were at least plausible...
"Juuuuust a bit outside."

I'm with the others that don't see how it can go very far with the whole "first woman in MLB" angle.
And I'm guessing they put her in the NL because then eventually they can get an episode out of hitting. But the AL would certainly make more sense if this were to really happen.

"Many times, I find the 8" is just too small.":

"No, I like it small":
Bars & Tone is online now   Reply With Quote