TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Once Upon a Time - "The Return" - s01e19 - 4/22/12

Okay I have to just say awwww I was so happy for Gold for a second. I really bought it. I thought August was his son. Now I'm certain
Spoiler:
he's Pinocchio. Bleh.
So MM isn't going to forgive David so easily. I guess I can't blame her. I wish they would show more Snow and Charming though. I want to know the rest of that story and they are far more entertaining for me than MM and David.

Emma means business now! Watch out EQ she has your number!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Emma means business now! Watch out EQ she has your number!
No, she doesn't. She has the mayor's number.

We're still waiting for her to get the EQ's number.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No, she doesn't. She has the mayor's number.

We're still waiting for her to get the EQ's number.
Well yeah. You knew what I meant damnit!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Just a pet peeve of mine, that we're almost at the end of the first season and she still doesn't have a clue what show she's in.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Three episodes left in the season right? I'd say Emma needs to be getting a clue quickly. I assume they'll drag it out to the finale at this point. I really hope Gold/Rumple finds his son. That was some good acting on Carlyle's part. I felt so bad for him.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I knew it was a winner as soon as I saw "Written by Jane Espenson"
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
So Rumplestiltskin reneged on a deal? Interesting.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
So Rumplestiltskin reneged on a deal? Interesting.
The only one ever. How sad.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The only one ever. How sad.
I guess that's why he puts such a premium on sticking to deals now.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I guess that's why he puts such a premium on sticking to deals now.
clearly! Even though he still squirms out of them on technicalities.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I cried.
And the ball Mr. Gold was holding in his shop was the same one Bael was playing with in fairy tale land.

So this is all a very long con designed to get his son back, end the dark curse, give everyone a happy ending, as well as mess with Regina and what she did with Belle. He had to send Belle away in order to accomplish it all, which makes it all even more sad.

I especially enjoyed early Rumple's mannerisms which were definitely Rumple, but in the early stages and not as over the top and maniacal as later Rumple.
Carlyle is consistently amazing and his scenes with Parrilla are some of the best I've ever seen on my TV.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I cried.
And the ball Mr. Gold was holding in his shop was the same one Bael was playing with in fairy tale land.

So this is all a very long con designed to get his son back, end the dark curse, give everyone a happy ending, as well as mess with Regina and what she did with Belle. He had to send Belle away in order to accomplish it all, which makes it all even more sad.

I especially enjoyed early Rumple's mannerisms which were definitely Rumple, but in the early stages and not as over the top and maniacal as later Rumple.
Carlyle is consistently amazing and his scenes with Parrilla are some of the best I've ever seen on my TV.
Damn that was lost on me. Thanks for pointing that out for my second viewing later today!
I did get misty myself, can't lie. He's just so damn good you cannot help yourself. I find when he smiles, I smile and when he was crying I was fighting it back. Damn you August for tricking him. Not cool bud, not cool!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
tiams

Quote:

Let's see if I have all this straight. Rumple orchestrated the curse to send them all to Storybrooke so that he could find his son.
If he does find his son, he will end the curse so that they will all return to Fairytale Land and he can have a happy ending with Belle. No wait, as far as he knows, Belle is dead. Plus, he still has possession of the dagger so without the curse he will again have the power of the Dark One. But his son isn't going to want to go back to a land where magic exists.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
Damn that was lost on me. Thanks for pointing that out for my second viewing later today!
I did get misty myself, can't lie. He's just so damn good you cannot help yourself. I find when he smiles, I smile and when he was crying I was fighting it back. Damn you August for tricking him. Not cool bud, not cool!
Carlyle's a great actor. His scenes with Parilla are always the best, and something to look forward to. Loved it!

But someone made a point earlier that's really important. It's all about the writing, folks. Jane Espenson is a very good writer, and that's the difference. Good writing makes a great show, and this ep was really good. Great to see OUAT back.

Now that we know August is from the other side, FTL, my question is not who he is over there, my question is how can he move in and out of the town, unlike all the other FTL characters? I thought they couldn't, yet he can? Remember, he's a stranger in town, who came to it after Emma.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
Now that we know August is from the other side, FTL, my question is not who he is over there, my question is how can he move in and out of the town, unlike all the other FTL characters? I thought they couldn't, yet he can? Remember, he's a stranger in town, who came to it after Emma.
My guess would be that whoever he is, he wasn't in Fairytale Land at the time the curse was cast. Perhaps in was wherever Baelfire is and that's how he knew so much about Rumple and the dagger (because Bael told him).
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
I can't keep track of whether or not we spoiler speculation here so:

Spoiler:
If August is indeed Pinocchio it would have made sense for Geppetto to have smuggled his son away from the curse in the cabinet with baby Emma.
If he was 7 years old at the time that explains a seven year old boy "finding" baby Emma by the side of the road in the real world.
He, like Emma, would have lived and aged as normal, but unlike Emma he was old enough to remember Fairy Tale Land.
When Emma entered Storybrooke and the magic started up again his wooden origins started creeping back in and hurting him. He can come and go because he wasn't sent there as part of the curse- he escaped the curse.

MY question is who was he talking to on the phone when saying they needed to escalate things.
He only dialed three numbers.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
MY question is who was he talking to on the phone when saying they needed to escalate things.
He only dialed three numbers.
I noticed that too. Did he dial the front desk maybe?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
I noticed that too. Did he dial the front desk maybe?
Could've been a fake out and he merely called Henry to escalate Operation Cobra, but the three number thing is vexing. Wonder who else is staying at Granny's.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Could've been a fake out and he merely called Henry to escalate Operation Cobra, but the three number thing is vexing. Wonder who else is staying at Granny's.
Yeah, it could've been another room. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Let's see if I have all this straight. Rumple orchestrated the curse to send them all to Storybrooke so that he could find his son.
If he does find his son, he will end the curse so that they will all return to Fairytale Land and he can have a happy ending with Belle. No wait, as far as he knows, Belle is dead. Plus, he still has possession of the dagger so without the curse he will again have the power of the Dark One. But his son isn't going to want to go back to a land where magic exists.
I am not sure if Gold/Rumple planned to return to FTL after finding his son. His son sounded like he was sick of magic and probably would not want to return. Also I think many decades have passed (at least in FTL) since his son left. If time moves at the same speed in both places, Rumple's son is probably long dead.

Quote:
Like Emma, he probably was not part of the curse.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Great episode. Loved the scenes between Rumple and his son.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
I can't keep track of whether or not we spoiler speculation here so:
Discussing anything up through the end of the episode the current thread was created for (not including any previews for the next episode), and anything you guess or extrapolate based only on that and no other outside knowledge such as news stories, etc., does not need to be spoilerized.

If you want you can spoiler of course. It's helpful to say "just my guesses" or similar so people know there aren't real spoilers there.

BTW, that's an extremely interesting speculation! It sounds very plausible to me and I would definitely not bet against it.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Boot
to the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Discussing anything up through the end of the episode the current thread was created for (not including any previews for the next episode), and anything you guess or extrapolate based only on that and no other outside knowledge such as news stories, etc., does not need to be spoilerized.
Spoiler:
In this case, the theory arguably does relate to the preview. There were hints in the episode, but the preview cemented the idea for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
If time moves at the same speed in both places, Rumple's son is probably long dead.
I laughed when psychiatrist guy asked how old his son is, and he said, let's start with something easier.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

And also, Gold said to August (when he thought he was Bae) "Ever since you crossed the barriers of time and space" which IMO was so they could make Bae any age they wanted to.

Something I just noticed on rewatch- after they uncovered the dagger and August tried to control him Mr. Gold also said of Bae "He would know that this knife cannot harness any magic in this world because there is no magic in this world. That's why he chose this place."

Just something I didn't hear the first time.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

If there is no magic in this world, how did EQ kill the sheriff? How does her skeleton key work? How? How? How?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If there is no magic in this world, how did EQ kill the sheriff? How does her skeleton key work? How? How? How?
Sorcery!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
robojerk

Quote:
I was thinking that too. Discussing that would only break ones head though.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
oscarfish

Queen's curse, queen gets to keep her magic. Or some of it at least. She has used some magic, but not very much.
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #30
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If there's no magic in this world, how did the sheriff live without a heart? And how does no one remember anything, etc, etc. The simple answer has to be that the Almighty Curse took the magic stuff that was and transported it to our world. It's not "magic in this world", it's "magic brought to this world". That's why I didn't want Emma "creating" a Mad Hatter hat in our world: there is no magic here.

My main question is: if August isn't Bael, and we know he isn't, then who in Storybrooke IS Bael? We only have one male character without a known identity and a backstory episode: Dr Whale. Whale... Bael... kinda scary, eh?

Bael is outside the curse like Emma and probably August. Emma didn't know who anyone was in FTL because she was a baby. When did the Beanworld episode take place in FTL? Did Bael know who the Queen was, or Snow and Charming, or any of them? If not, the only one he would recognize would be Gold, and Whale hasn't changed expressions since the first episode. I think Bael is an actor-to-be-named-later.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote