TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
DangerRanger84

Western Digital My DVR 1 TB Expander not working on TiVo Premier

I have a Western Digital My DVR 1 TB Expander(WD10000F032). It has a big sticker that says TiVo verified and has worked fine on my TiVo HD. I replaced both my TiVO HD units with TiVo Premiers and neither one will reconize the drive. I know that I will lose all of the recored shows, but I cannot get it to work at all on either unit. Anyone have any ideas?
DangerRanger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Andrel

Did you reboot your Premiere after installing the drive ? I am using one with no issue, however, it was never installed on a Tivo HD before.
Andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
DangerRanger84

Yes, I have bounced the TiVo several times. I plugged it back into the HD unit and and I currently performing a "Reset and clear everything" to see if that helps
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
lafos

I have the 1TB expander on a Premiere XL with no problems. It was new when installed. I also have a 500GB expander that was used on a THD, then stored for a while, then put on a Premiere. It worked right away after the Premiere formatted it.

Could it be an issue of the eSATA connector or cable? They can be flaky.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
DangerRanger84

Turns out my expander was bad. I ran a SMART check and it failed.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
MichaelK

anyone have any trouble with an Elite? I brought a brand new 1TB WD expander that's tivo approved (has the tivo instructions in the box an all).

tried 3 thumbs down reboot a bunch of times, tried pulling the plug twice and I get nothing.

I guess I'll try a new cable next....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
MichaelK

Yep- it was the cable.

I remember back when the external storage was first turned on with the S3's that you had to buy the "right" cable as many had connectors that were literally too short and didn't go far enough into the tivo. Comparing the cable that came with the brand spanking new western digital expander (just manufactured as it was backordered for like months....)- and the cable WD gives you is the wrong one for the tivo.

would have thought this would have been resolved after several years but i guess nope....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
liquix

Where did you get the cable? I am having the same problem
liquix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
liquix

I found the answer to my question in the FAQ:

Quote:
Where can I order a good eSATA cable online?

The recommended eSATA cable for the TiVo is the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 (1m). This cable is available in 1m and 2m versions from Provantage.com (1m, 2m), Buy.com (1m, 2m), Amazon.com (1m, 2m), and TheNerds.net (1m, 2m). This cable "snaps" in to provide a firm connection.

The Tripp-Lite P950 eSATA cable is also confirmed to work with the TiVo. This cable doesn't fit as "snugly" as the SIIG above, so it is more prone to come lose if you are reaching around (or moving) your equipment. You can order it in 0.5m (18") and 1.0m (36") lengths for about $6 from Provantage.com (0.5m, 1.0m), Buy.com (0.5m, 1.0m) and TheNerds.net (0.5m, 1.0m).
I ordered the recomended SIIG cable from Amazon, so hopefully that solves my problem.
liquix is offline   Reply With Quote