TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #91
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
To explain some things in your paragraph will reveal some big differences between the book and the show.

Spoiler:
It was Roose Bolton who talked to Rob about flaying men. You may have been confused by his presence because at this point in the books he is not in the field, he is one of the prisoners (along with his army) at Harrenhal. Tywin and the Mountain were holding Harrenhal together for a time but both eventually leave and put Harrenhal under the control of Armory Loach (sp?) and also the Brave Companions. At that point Arya helps free Roose Bolton's men and becomes his cupbearer.
Yes, thanks--we were discussing this at work today and couldn't remember how it happened in the book, even tho we've both read them all.

If I were Tywin I wouldn't want to drink from any cup that Arya had access to, unless she did drink from it first. If he's not on her list, the rest of his family is......
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #92
bobino

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
I wanted to point that out as well, Tiassa. You are confused. Arya was not with any of Lord Stark's bannermen. She was traveling with Yoren, who is from the Night's Watch, under the guise that (s)he was going to the wall. There is no proper association with the Nights Watch and Ned Stark (other than his brother Benjen being a ranger, now lost). There's no reason for someone in Westeros to think that Arya would be with them.
Also, Tywin doesn't know Arya is missing from King's Landing. Tyrion came from meeting with his father to King's Landing to assume the position of the Hand. It was there he learned from Cersei that Arya was missing.

There's no reason that Tywin would think she is Arya. He might suspect she is high born from the north because of her accent but that's a reach.

-Bob
bobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #93
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobino View Post
Also, Tywin doesn't know Arya is missing from King's Landing. Tyrion came from meeting with his father to King's Landing to assume the position of the Hand. It was there he learned from Cersei that Arya was missing.

There's no reason that Tywin would think she is Arya. He might suspect she is high born from the north because of her accent but that's a reach.

-Bob
Cmon. They get news fast on Raven Union. They knew Ned got offed....and Ned summoned Tywin to court over The Mountain.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #94
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

The torturers didn't even differentiate between those they caught from some village and those they caught from Yoren. They were asking them the same questions!

And we saw Tywin's entire exchange from the moment he got there to the moment he hired her as the cup bearer. He just saw someone who can do the job.

What I REALLY worry about is that Tywin likes his women on the young side and has other plans for the poor little peasant girl he just hired.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #95
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
The torturers didn't even differentiate between those they caught from some village and those they caught from Yoren. They were asking them the same questions!
I think as far as they're concerned, answers are just something that could potentially get in the way of the torture...
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #96
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Cmon. They get news fast on Raven Union. They knew Ned got offed....and Ned summoned Tywin to court over The Mountain.
But Cersei had clearly put a lid on that particular bit of news; disappointing their father is something all 3 children dread more than death.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #97
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think as far as they're concerned, answers are just something that could potentially get in the way of the torture...
speaking of torture: isn't there a better way (off the top of my head: a big huge sword or an ax!) to cut off a leg than slowly sawing it off while complaining about the horrors of war?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #98
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
speaking of torture: isn't there a better way (off the top of my head: a big huge sword or an ax!) to cut off a leg than slowly sawing it off while complaining about the horrors of war?
Nope. A sword will just shatter the bone, making things worse.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #99
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Nope. A sword will just shatter the bone, making things worse.

--Carlos V.
Also, using a saw is much more accurate than swinging a great big, heavy sword or axe. Besides, that girl was rather small. I doubt she'd be able to swing that heavy of a heavy weapon. And if she could a few times, she'd quickly get too sore and tired to help other wounded.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #100
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Spoiler:
I don't believe Roose Bolton was ever a prisoner at Harrenhal. He arrived at Harrenhal shortly after Arya freed the Northman and he took charge of Harrenhal until being called away by Robb and left Harrenhal to Vargo Hoat.
Spoiler:
No, he was. He was caught by Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions and brought before Armory Loach at Harrenhal. It was his group that Arya freed with her "weasel" soup.

Shaunnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #101
stellie93

What was the headdress thing the "nurse" who sawed off the leg was wearing? Was it like a red cross type symbol or a religious one or just a house thing? Were the women who brought in Ned's bones in the box wearing the same thing?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #102
pmyers

I swear the black guy of the #13's last name was "Ducksauce". That's what it sounded to me.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #103
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
What was the headdress thing the "nurse" who sawed off the leg was wearing? Was it like a red cross type symbol or a religious one or just a house thing? Were the women who brought in Ned's bones in the box wearing the same thing?
I don't think the nurse who sawed the leg was wearing the headress, but there probably were some roaming the battlefield in that scene. They are called the Silent Sisters and are something like the morticians of Westeros.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #104
billypritchard
Embiggener

Sigh.

I'd reply to some of the Spoilered posts with a correction or two, but I don't want to annoy Photoshopgrrrrrrrrrrl.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #105
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Spoiler:
No, he was. He was caught by Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions and brought before Armory Loach at Harrenhal. It was his group that Arya freed with her "weasel" soup.
Spoiler:
Roose was not captured and his men being captured was part of the plan with Vargo Hoat. http://towerofthehand.com/books/102/048/index.html

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #106
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Sigh.

I'd reply to some of the Spoilered posts with a correction or two, but I don't want to annoy Photoshopgrrrrrrrrrrl.
As long as it's in spoiler tags, post away.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #107
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Sigh.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #108
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay I see why I was mentioned. My "and it begins" comment in last week's thread. Dude relax, I was just messing with you guys. I should have used a smiley to be clear.
We good?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #109
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Spoiler:
Roose was not captured and his men being captured was part of the plan with Vargo Hoat. http://towerofthehand.com/books/102/048/index.html
Spoiler:
Good call. I remember there were Northmen captured, and that Roose Bolton's men had been engaged by the Brave Companions. And I remember Roose Bolton being involved in all of that so I remembered him as captured.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #110
JETarpon

Spoiler:
Amory Lorch

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #111
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Okay I see why I was mentioned. My "and it begins" comment in last week's thread. Dude relax, I was just messing with you guys. I should have used a smiley to be clear.
We good?
I thought you mentioned that reading the posts on your phone the spoilers weren't hidden? Or did I dream that?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #112
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
Spoiler:
Amory Lorch

Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #113
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I thought you mentioned that reading the posts on your phone the spoilers weren't hidden? Or did I dream that?
Nope I said I was always tempted to read them. I use Forum Runner on my iPhone so it's great with keeping spoilers hidden.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #114
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
That was me. Don't feel bad, photoshopgrl and I are all too often mistaken for each other!

just for the record, I totally disagree that a saw is better than a cut from a sharp sword. But it's too gruesome of a discussion to have so I'll have the last word and run away.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #115
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Quote:
I don't think the nurse who sawed the leg was wearing the headress, but there probably were some roaming the battlefield in that scene. They are called the Silent Sisters and are something like the morticians of Westeros.
The symbol they are wearing is the seven-pointed star which is the symbol for the seven faced god that they worship in the south. Sadly they never have fully explained this and I think it causes some confusion. Like billy says, they are called the Silent Sisters. I would compare them to nuns. They are holy women who have taken a vow of silence (you'll also notice they have a covering over their mouths).

You'll see the seven-pointed star in other places in the show if you look for it. I believe it's in the painted glass windows in the throne room at King's Landing if I'm not mistaken.

I want to point out a couple of notes in case others have missed it:

The seven gods were the ones being burned on Dragonstone in the first episode of the season (when we meet Melisandre, Davos and Stannis).

The seven gods are made up of:

The Crone
The Maiden
The Mother
The Father
The Smith
The Warrior
The Stranger

Each of them as a personality or "purpose" and I look at them as similar to the holy trinity in Catholicism (x2.3, ). It's not uber-important but I think it's good backstory that will make some things clearer.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #116
pmyers

Jeoffery sure gets scolded a lot in public!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #117
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Joffery sure gets scolded a lot in public!
Not nearly enough!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #118
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Not nearly enough!
or bitch slapped
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #119
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
That was me. Don't feel bad, photoshopgrl and I are all too often mistaken for each other!
Heee!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #120
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
What I REALLY worry about is that Tywin likes his women on the young side and has other plans for the poor little peasant girl he just hired.
Do we know this, or are you just speculatin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I swear the black guy of the #13's last name was "Ducksauce". That's what it sounded to me.
Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

Close!

PS: I don't know how y'all can even follow some of this w/o captions. Names, places, mumblers...
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote