TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Game of Thrones - "Garden of Bones" - s02e04 - 4/22/12

Probably the best opening sequence of any show ever. Qarth was new or was that in the last one? Looks like Dany and her dragons found a fabulous place to regroup.

Loved seeing Robb's wolf again. I cannot remember what the name is though. Someone help me out. I think little Robbie has a crush.

I just love Tyrion so much "that was a threat, see the difference?" and then Bronn "there's no cure for being a c unt" heeee
I'm so glad he sent poor Ned's head back to his family. And the way he saw right through Lancel and knocked him right down to size. Now he has himself a little spy. Brilliant! He continues to be the most awesome person on my screen.

Argh. Joffrey needs to die right now. What a little prick. I need a weekly slap if he's to appear in the episode.

Someone tell me why I like Baelish so much. He's such a snake. Lying out his arse about Arya. Speaking of... Where the hell is Arya and Gendry? Some kind of prison that just kills them off one by one via rat torture?? That was some nastiness. Ugh. I think I read about something like that in a Stephen King book once. Gendry saved by the bell! Ha, Tywin took one look at her and knew she was a girl.

Renly and Stannis having their little stand off was as expected. Neither of them are going to back down. I'm surprised either bothered. So that entire cave birthing thing with Melisandre? Creeeeepy. What in the hell was that thing?? Yikes.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
6079 Smith W
Minister of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Loved seeing Robb's wolf again. I cannot remember what the name is though. Someone help me out. I think little Robbie has a crush.
Robb -> Grey Wind
Arya -> Nymeria
Bran -> Summer
Sansa -> Lady
Rickon -> Shaggydog
Jon Snow -> Ghost

Quote:
Where the hell is Arya and Gendry? Some kind of prison that just kills them off one by one via rat torture??
They are in Harrenhall
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
chronatog7
Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Qarth is new in the opening. I love when they opened the city gates.

Robb's wolf is called Grey Wind.

Gendry is at Harrenhall. Is an old castle which was shown for the first time as well in the intro.

Overall, best episode of the season.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I was confused at the end. Was the onion knight charged with taking the red priestess to the island to give birth to something? The way the conversation went I thought Stanis was asking him to kill her.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Ereth

Oh no. He took her to the island so she could do her task. Rather compelling place to end the episode!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I was confused at the end. Was the onion knight charged with taking the red priestess to the island to give birth to something? The way the conversation went I thought Stanis was asking him to kill her.
From their conversation, I thought he took her to shore to defeat Renly's army with her magic. Still possible that I'm right!

I love it when new places are shown during the opening credits. I looked for any kind of sigil on the 2 new places but found none (no surprise about Quarth, since it's on the other side of the sea).
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
JETarpon

How good a swordsman can he be? He's been stabbing Renly for years, and Renly ain't dead.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
steverm2

When the gates of qarth opened I thought"wow,finally somewhere thats bright and inviting".I dont think it will end up being that way.
steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6079 Smith W View Post
Robb -> Grey Wind
Arya -> Nymeria
Bran -> Summer
Sansa -> Lady
Rickon -> Shaggydog
Jon Snow -> Ghost

They are in Harrenhall
Thanks for the info. I remembered only Lady and Ghost. And Harrenhall was the other new location I didn't know what it was in the opening. That makes sense. This place is owned by the Lanisters, is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I love it when new places are shown during the opening credits. I looked for any kind of sigil on the 2 new places but found none (no surprise about Quarth, since it's on the other side of the sea).
Qarth as the 13 corrected Dany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
How good a swordsman can he be? He's been stabbing Renly for years, and Renly ain't dead.
LOL I forgot about that line. So everyone knows about it. Didn't realize that until that moment.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
fmowry

The first line of the EW recap sums it up for me.

"I love this season, but I'm having a hard time following it"

New locations, new people, remembering how all characters are related. It takes me an extra half hour to watch this show between rewinding, and turning CC on and off to catch what people are saying. Still love it after I figure everything out. Then I watch the EW recap to get the names of new characters or locations.

I was burning through some other shows on the DVR including "Are You There, Chelsea" and happened to watch this one right before I watched Game of Thrones which mentions Peter Dinklage:

Peter Dinklage Shout Out

fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I remembered only Lady and Ghost. And Harrenhall was the other new location I didn't know what it was in the opening. That makes sense. This place is owned by the Lanisters, is that right?
Harrenhal is the castle that was granted to Janos Slynt by Cersei last season, but then Tyrion took it away from him. Tyrion also just dangled it to Littlefinger last episode.

It was destroyed by Dragonfire by the Targaryens a long time ago, which is why it looks so black and terrible.

I believe it is something like 3x the size of Winterfell.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Oh no. He took her to the island so she could do her task. Rather compelling place to end the episode!
I had a hard time with the dialogue in that scene and I can watch BBC shows without captions
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Love this review
http://www.tv.com/news/game-of-thron...that-is-28450/
A couple of the better parts:
Quote:
Later, Tyrion continued to turn King's Landing into Tyrion's Landing, blackmailing pretty boy Lancel Lannister with his knowledge that Lancel was lancing Cersei. You know Cersei is twisted when having sex with her cousin is the least sexually deviant thing she's doing. Gross! If you're keeping score of Tyrion's actions at home, that's one ousted head of the City Guard in Janos Slynt, one fired Grand Maester and undug mole for Cersei in Pycelle, and one man on the inside in Lancel. Tyrion 3, everyone else 0.
and
Quote:
Melisandre gives birth to the Smoke Monster from Lost
Ha!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
LordKronos

Joffrey is a tough man with his crossbow. I really hope then when he dies (he's gonna die, right....please let him die), it's going by crossbow.

Stannis - Call Maury. That baby is black. You are NOT the father :-) Not sure what to make of Melisandre's "baby". I was doubting the extent of her powers before, but not anymore.

Arya kept reciting names. I heard "Cersei" and "The Mountain" a few times, as well as a few others I don't recall right now. What was she doing? Praying for their deaths? Getting mentally ready to start dropping names if she got picked? Speaking of which, oooh, that's a pretty nasty way to kill someone.

Re: the black member of the 13, did I hear him correctly? Did he suggest that he was Dothraki?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Joffrey is a tough man with his crossbow. I really hope then when he dies (he's gonna die, right....please let him die), it's going by crossbow.

Stannis - Call Maury. That baby is black. You are NOT the father :-) Not sure what to make of Melisandre's "baby". I was doubting the extent of her powers before, but not anymore.

Arya kept reciting names. I heard "Cersei" and "The Mountain" a few times, as well as a few others I don't recall right now. What was she doing? Praying for their deaths? Getting mentally ready to start dropping names if she got picked? Speaking of which, oooh, that's a pretty nasty way to kill someone.

Re: the black member of the 13, did I hear him correctly? Did he suggest that he was Dothraki?
Arya's list was included Joffrey, Cersei, and Hound, then she added the Mountain and Polliver during the torture scenes. I would call it a prayer, yes.

Xaro Xhoan Daxos said he was from the Summer Isles, which is south of Westeros.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Stannis - Call Maury. That baby is black. You are NOT the father :-)
Okay that was damn funny. I just alarmed those around me with my laughter.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
LordKronos

Quote:
That review mentions that there have been several things changed from the book this season. The only one I recall reading about so far was in episode 1
Spoiler:
the show had Joffery order the bastards killed, not Cersei

What other things have changed? Please answer in spoiler tags for the sake of others.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
fmowry

I'll bet every recap equates the smoke baby to LOST. EW did too.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
No, he said he was a savage like the Dothraki (he's from the Summer Isles, whatever those are), and they let HIM in the city.

And now he runs the place, which might not be a very comforting precedent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I'll bet every recap equates the smoke baby to LOST. EW did too.
As long as they don't get Titus Welliver to play the baby, they should be OK...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Xaro Xhoan Daxos said he was from the Summer Isles, which is south of Westeros.
OK, I didn't catch that. I thought he said something like "a few Dothraki won't destroy the city....I didn't", which I took to mean he was Dothraki.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

I took Arya's list of people to be the list of people she will be getting revenge on.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
Ereth

Quote:
I had a hard time with the dialogue in that scene and I can watch BBC shows without captions
Thanks.
They were talking of things we haven't heard before, but were talking of them rather familiarly so they were somewhat obscure. Stannis has a hard time doing things that aren't straightforward, and asking a man to be a smuggler, a man who had the last knuckles of his fingers cut off by Stannis for being a smuggler in the first place, was hard for him. So he kind of talked around it.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
cherry ghost

Last week, Yoren told Arya the story of how his brother was killed by a boy named Willem and that every night he would go to sleep saying his name.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Arya kept reciting names. I heard "Cersei" and "The Mountain" a few times, as well as a few others I don't recall right now. What was she doing? Praying for their deaths? Getting mentally ready to start dropping names if she got picked? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Arya's list was included Joffrey, Cersei, and Hound, then she added the Mountain and Polliver during the torture scenes. I would call it a prayer, yes.
Arya is memorizing and vowing her hit list. She'll go a tear once she gets Needle back.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
From their conversation, I thought he took her to shore to defeat Renly's army with her magic. Still possible that I'm right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Maybe "Stannis's son and heir" had to be born on Baratheon lands?

The urgency is so she can carry out "The night is dark and full of terrors" before the battle with Renley's army. I was looking for her to make some real world sabotage.

I might lose patience with this thing if there's too much more paranormal crap, but I dunno why I've been OK with witches and spells; zombies; intelligent, loyal Direwolves; White Walkers; and Dragons up to now.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 04-23-2012 at 10:00 AM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Last week, Yoren told Arya the story of how his brother was killed by a boy named Willem and that every night he would go to sleep saying his name.
Arya's list is already growing...at this rate, she's gonna have a busy life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Maybe "Stannis's son and heir" had to be born on Baratheon lands?
Smoky wouldn't be his "son and heir"; she's not his wife. At best it would be a bastard, but I doubt, given its nature, it would rank even that high. I think it would be treated kind of like Jon Snow is, only as if Jon Snow were an evil demon spawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I might lose patience with this thing if there's too much more paranormal crap, but I dunno why I've been OK with zombies, Direwolves, White Walkers and Dragons up to now.
It is kind of amusing when we try to apply logic to the point at which shows like this break our suspension of disbelief...

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs : 04-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
tiassa
Me --Avatar

A couple of points:
I'm pretty sure that after each name on her list Arya was saying something like "give them pain", so yeah, it was a kind of prayer (sort of the opposite of "God bless Mommy and Daddy")

I also figured that the discussion between the Onion Knight and Stannis was to sneak Melisandre "behind the lines" of Renly's army to set some sort of trap or counter attack

LordKronos: "Call Maury!" :LOL

I'm glad we now know which "Stag banner" goes with which Baratheon

Tyrion -- Smartest man in the castle

Cersei -- my god lady, can't you keep it zipped!

If Harrenhall is 3 times the size of Winterfell and its prison cells are overflowing who the heck are the Lannisters holding there?

Just when you think that you know where the characters are going, they get spun in another direction. This is why I'm thinking that Qarth isn't going to be all sunshine and fluffy dragons for Danerys

Last edited by tiassa : 04-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

Qarth as the 13 corrected Dany.
I should have known someone here would notice

I was thinking about how smart Sansa is becoming and how Aryia would not have lasted a week had she not been able to get away.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Smoky wouldn't be his "son and heir"; she's not his wife. At best it would be a bastard, but I doubt, given its nature, it would rank even that high. I think it would be treated kind of like Jon Snow is, only as if Jon Snow were an evil demon spawn.
Then why did Stannis make such a big deal about naming Renly Heir "until such time a son is born" *pan to evil red lady*

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Then why did Stannis make such a big deal about naming Renly Heir "until such time a son is born" *pan to evil red lady*
If Stannis makes red on red his queen, the vapor kid will retroactively no longer be a bastard?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
mwhip
All better

Let's just hope no one who has seen Arya sees her as a servant to Tywin. What nice little gift that would be for him.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote