TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Wings. The Sitcom. Spoilers. It's almost 20 years old, so yeah. Spoilers.

I have watched Wings, the sitcom, so many, many times. But not for years. Probably at least seven or eight.

It's on Reelz, so I've been recording a couple a day and watching them.

It's still completely awesome.

Anyone else a fan?
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead
I have watched Wings, the sitcom, so many, many times. But not for years. Probably at least seven or eight.

It's on Reelz, so I've been recording a couple a day and watching them.

It's still completely awesome.

Anyone else a fan?
Also available on Netflix streaming. Watched the pilot recently.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I have a couple of seasons on DVD, actually. But I haven't watched them in forever.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Yes, I love Wings. It's just fun. I remember watching it in reruns on the weekends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Great show. I still watch a couple of eps now and again when I'm on Netflix.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
marksman
ID-10-T

Quagmire loves it.

It was a good workhorse comedy. Sitcoms are by far my favorite genre and I watched it every week. It was never the funniest show on tv but it was always funny and entertaining.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
DougF

I still love Wings. I watch one while cooking dinner once a week or so via Netflix.

It was great up through about the fifth season. Once Joe and Helen got engaged and Casey got added to the cast, it wasn't as good but still got some laughs.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I dont like Crystal Bernard for some reason, but the show was a great concept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

We have several of our favorite episodes on Tivo from years ago- Antonia and Roy dancing, Antonio and his lost love "She like me" and Anne Francis' guest spot "She's got a few miles on her but she's got a walk I can feel in my left pocket," any Carlton Blanchard episode Las Cruses New Mexico, any Sandy Cooper episode, Brian seeing Faye on a Most Wanted show, Mimsy.... I could go on forever.
That was a great show.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We really liked watching it early on in its run, but we drifted away from it over time.

I doubt I could sit through it again though.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of this show. Not sure why. I'm not against it or anything.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I enjoyed Wings a lot. They had fun crossover episodes with Cheers too.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I never watched the show when it was on prime time. I hurt my back in 2000 and had surgery in early 2001. I was home on disability for like 2 months. USA Network showed at least 2 episodes of the show every morning. I'm pretty sure I was able to watch the entire series during this 2 months off. It was a really good show.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
danterner
Not it!

I watched Wings when it aired and really enjoyed it. Haven't seen it since, and it's not really on my list of things to watch, but I'm still enjoying reminiscing by reading this thread. The "Most Wanted" episode was particularly funny.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Also available on Netflix streaming. Watched the pilot recently.
I see what you did there.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
Gary McCoy

My wife was born and raised on Nantucket, and I met her there when I was in the military. In truth the airport never looked like it does in the show, although you will see a real terminal building exterior from time to time.

Believe it or not, the TV show is a much elaborated version of what the "old" terminal building looked like in the period 30-40 years ago, with twice as many airline counters and twice as much space. During this time, the island was served with many small planes and several DC-3's. There really were small "airlines" with single planes.

The "new" terminal building was built with airport security screening, etc. in the early 1980's, and the island got Boeing 737 jet service (Summer only). But you still had to walk across the concrete and go up stairs to the plane. Then when you looked around, there was no fence around the airport itself, so you wondered about "security". It remains that way today, but in truth the biggest "security" problem this causes is the occasional deer on the runway.

There were lots of real building exteriors of hotels and restaurants flashed on screen from stock footage, but in reality (as with Cheers) Wings was filmed in a studio, with few and rare exceptions.

My main complaint when watching was that there were no real New England accents on display. Most of the actors sounded like Hollywood or the MidWest. In truth, the New England twang was (and is) really thick on the island.

It spite of all of the above, the wife and I never missed a show.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

The airport I fly out of today still has us walk out to the rolling stairs to get on the plane.
There is fencing across the front but you'd have to fence an entire mountain to make it truly secure- the entire airport is atop a mountain.

But that's a long way from back in the 60's when they had benches directly on the edge of the runway where anyone could go sit and watch planes come and go.

Yeah, OT.
Thanks for the behind the scenes info, Gary!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

My husband and I will still answer Ann Margaret to any trivia question we don't know.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I don't know that I watched a lot of the show at the time it aired. I did a lot of catching when it was on USA ten thousand times a day.

I'm finding I'm actually enjoying the later episodes now than the earlier ones, although I do miss Lowell.

It's just one of those silly shows that make you happy and forget things for a while.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
My main complaint when watching was that there were no real New England accents on display. Most of the actors sounded like Hollywood or the MidWest. In truth, the New England twang was (and is) really thick on the island.
I have the opposite problem. Having grown up in Kansas, it drives me batty when I hear Kansans with a twang. There are a few "more country" people in the state that have a twang, but for the most part, Kansans are remarkably twang-free (although I will freely admit to a nasaly quality.)
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I don't know that I watched a lot of the show at the time it aired. I did a lot of catching when it was on USA ten thousand times a day....
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
It's just one of those silly shows that make you happy and forget things for a while.
And this.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

The man candy wasn't bad either.
And Tim Daly still looks exactly the same
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Yeah, he was awesome. Stephen Weber was, too, but I've kind of gotten turned off by him-he seems really odd on his Twitter feed.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I enjoyed Wings a lot. They had fun crossover episodes with Cheers too.
I was a regular watcher, but it did get diluted in the end.

For years whenever we were out to dinner and someone made a toast and said "Cheers!", I would respond "Wings!".

But once it had been off the air for many years, I switched to "Seinfeld!".
Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
My wife was born and raised on Nantucket, and I met her there when I was in the military. In truth the airport never looked like it does in the show, although you will see a real terminal building exterior from time to time.

Believe it or not, the TV show is a much elaborated version of what the "old" terminal building looked like in the period 30-40 years ago, with twice as many airline counters and twice as much space. During this time, the island was served with many small planes and several DC-3's. There really were small "airlines" with single planes.

The "new" terminal building was built with airport security screening, etc. in the early 1980's, and the island got Boeing 737 jet service (Summer only). But you still had to walk across the concrete and go up stairs to the plane. Then when you looked around, there was no fence around the airport itself, so you wondered about "security". It remains that way today, but in truth the biggest "security" problem this causes is the occasional deer on the runway.

There were lots of real building exteriors of hotels and restaurants flashed on screen from stock footage, but in reality (as with Cheers) Wings was filmed in a studio, with few and rare exceptions.

Mrs. S. and I flew from Nantucket to Martha's Vineyard on Cape Air almost 20 years ago - we had the same impressions.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:

Always nice to know someone else from ACK! I didn't grow up there, but we had a house there, and I spent many, many summers growing up on nantucket and in Cape Cod.

I understand the lack of accents. After all, they can be thick. And they sure make the place seem a lot chippier than it is during the off-season. LOTS of drinking on the island during those times. But yes, the airport is pretty different in person.

I was actually on the beach when they were shooting the opening of the show. I wandered over and asked them about it, and they said it was a show about the Airport and would be debuting soon. It was kind of neat to see it actually come on the air.

I do think they could have visited some more local spots though, but I get why they didn't.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Ken Levine wrote a number of the episodes. He often comments on that experience on his blog.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I used to make fun of Wings during its early seasons, but in college a buddy got me into watching it and I got hooked. What I liked was the fact that despite it being a sitcom, all the characters had really deep backstories, something that was very different at the time.

It's also the first show I remember seeing Laura Innes in. I always like it when you see an actor early in their career and follow them along the way.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
Thom

The Car-B-Que.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #30
Legion

I was "going with" Farrah Forke (Alex the heli pilot) in Jr. High.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote