TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
tombonneau

Premiere Upgrade Was Definitely Worth It

As an HD owner who had been on the fence for 2+ years upgrading to the Premiere I recently decided to finally make the upgrade with the new firmware and new iPad app announcements. I'm sure there are others on this forum who are/were in a similar boat to me, and I have to say I'm not disappointed at all. And this is coming from someone who canceled cable and doesn't even really DVR all that much, so if you are still using cable the upgrade makes even more sense.

The HD interface is a huge improvement and while not snappy is about the same speed as my HD Tivo so no real loss there. And the iPad app is a superslick companion piece. If you have an iPad, an upgrade is a no-brainer IMO. It's nice to just be on the couch on your iPad and then using your iPad to change the channel or pull up Guide or My Shows and play something. (As a marketer, I tip the cap to Tivo for only giving HD owners a taste of the iPad app and saving the rest for Premiere-only; it was a major part of my decision to upgrade.)

I will say that I don't recommend the Premiere as a primary streaming device. A Roku or Apple TV is far superior for your streaming needs. But if you want a little more polish to your DVR, the Premiere is well worth the investment.
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Jackamus

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post
As an HD owner who had been on the fence for 2+ years upgrading to the Premiere I recently decided to finally make the upgrade with the new firmware and new iPad app announcements. I'm sure there are others on this forum who are/were in a similar boat to me, and I have to say I'm not disappointed at all. And this is coming from someone who canceled cable and doesn't even really DVR all that much, so if you are still using cable the upgrade makes even more sense.

The HD interface is a huge improvement and while not snappy is about the same speed as my HD Tivo so no real loss there. And the iPad app is a superslick companion piece. If you have an iPad, an upgrade is a no-brainer IMO. It's nice to just be on the couch on your iPad and then using your iPad to change the channel or pull up Guide or My Shows and play something. (As a marketer, I tip the cap to Tivo for only giving HD owners a taste of the iPad app and saving the rest for Premiere-only; it was a major part of my decision to upgrade.)

I will say that I don't recommend the Premiere as a primary streaming device. A Roku or Apple TV is far superior for your streaming needs. But if you want a little more polish to your DVR, the Premiere is well worth the investment.

Glad to hear you are enjoying you're Premiere...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
sharkster

It's only been about a month since I upgraded from Seris 2 Tivos to Premieres, but I stream btwn my two Premieres all the time and it is smooth as silk (99% of the time I'm streaming HD programming). I'm wondering if it's an individual network issue for those who don't have seamless streaming.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
It's only been about a month since I upgraded from Seris 2 Tivos to Premieres, but I stream btwn my two Premieres all the time and it is smooth as silk (99% of the time I'm streaming HD programming). I'm wondering if it's an individual network issue for those who don't have seamless streaming.
Do you have to have a CableCard install or antennae to stream between the two? I am thinking about putting a Premiere in my bedroom and just stream from recorded shows in my living room since I don't want to do any wiring for cable in bedroom. Be even better if I did it without a subscription to it but I doubt that is happening, LOL.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
Do you have to have a CableCard install or antennae to stream between the two? I am thinking about putting a Premiere in my bedroom and just stream from recorded shows in my living room since I don't want to do any wiring for cable in bedroom. Be even better if I did it without a subscription to it but I doubt that is happening, LOL.
Wireless streaming (MRS) isn't recommended (per Margret). If you don't have any cables to that TV I'm guessing you don't have wired ethernet there either. But, you could still *transfer* the show (MRV) and start watching once it's transferred enough.

I can't answer whether MRV or MRS would work without a card or antenna definitively, but, it's really no big deal to plug a 50 cent antenna into that jack if one is needed. Even if it didn't get any channels - you wouldn't use them anyway. The real question is whether it's allowed to use MRS or MRV for shows recorded off cable to a Tivo without that same subscription? A quick call to Tivo would probably answer that definitively.

If you have some sort of wire from your existing Tivo to your bedroom TV you might be able to just distribute the video/audio from that Tivo to your B/R TV. Use an IR distribution or RF system so you can control the Tivo from the B/R.

http://twitter.com/#!/tivodesign
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Without a service you will not be able to stream or copy between boxes. A Premier is basically a brick without service. But it would have no problem doing what you are looking for without an antenna or cable card...

Personally if you can wait, I would hold off for the IP Set top box - it supposedly is designed to do exactly what you are looking for... Not cablecard, no antenna and we expect no service fee.

The only caviate to this option as Mac said - wifi is really not supported for streaming. It works for some, but can be choppy for others.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
I do have CableCARDS on both of mine, but that is just about getting the digital/HD channels from my cable service, not about the network or streaming. The streaming is just a feature of having the 20.2 Tivo software update and of having my Tivos on my wireless network with the Tivo N wireless adapters.

I love the streaming particularly because HD programs take forever and a day to transfer (this is my first time with HD programming) so streaming is just like I'm watching from the Tivo with the recording.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I do have CableCARDS on both of mine, but that is just about getting the digital/HD channels from my cable service, not about the network or streaming. The streaming is just a feature of having the 20.2 Tivo software update and of having my Tivos on my wireless network with the Tivo N wireless adapters.

I love the streaming particularly because HD programs take forever and a day to transfer (this is my first time with HD programming) so streaming is just like I'm watching from the Tivo with the recording.
Transferring an hour long HD show only takes around ten minutes between Premieres.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
mazman

I just recently replaced three HDs with Premiers and am also very happy. I have wired connections to all three I can't believe how fast shows transfer. Actually, I hardly ever transfer anymore, I use multi room streaming. Rather than having to record shows on both the Family Room and Bedroom TiVo's, I can now record on just one and watch wherever is convenient. Very slick.
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Transferring an hour long HD show only takes around ten minutes between Premieres.
Thanks for that info, Aaron. Wow, that was definitely not the experience I had but the last time I tried it was right after I got everything going with the new boxes, network, etc, and it was almost in real-time (I think, as I tried to watch, I had about a two minute buffer so if it was something with commercials I was screwed).

Since then, I just stream then delete. Love that!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
randyb359

Quote:
I do that in my house. I have wireless and can stream about 80% of the time. The strange thing is even when I can't stream it still will transfer the show faster than I can watch it. Needs a bigger buffer maybe?
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
JulienPDX

I stream to my Premiere from my computer using PyTivo. The only transfers that can be slow are 1080p 2+ hour movies. As long as I give the Premiere a 5-10 minute head-start; I can watch the movie before its completely done moving to the Premiere. I stream using Wireless N @ 5GHz
JulienPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
rick123

I'm about three weeks into replacing my 2 HD Tivos with Premieres. I also waited for the software update to fix the interface issues. I love the streaming instead of transfer function! (I have wired network connections). Although slightly "clunky" at times, I like the look and feel of the High def interface. I love the interaction thru the Ipad app! If you have the cash, the 4 tuners the elite offers means you never really have to be concerned about checking the to do list to make sure you will have a tuner available for live tv.

Now that I am on board with the Premiere IMO the upgrades were well worth it and the new features and interface upgrades are are a big step up over the HD models.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
plazman30

MRV definitely works without cable cards. I had my Premiere for 2 weeks before Verizon came out to pop a cablecard in it, and I used pyTiVo to transfer shows and movies off my PC to it the whole time.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
sammydee

Just wanted to comment that I also upgraded from an HD to a Premiere and I'm quite happy. The HD UI is nice, and is fast enough. My SO hasn't complained about the changes ... I think that's the best complement I can pay it! Seriously, no annoyances is a good thing.

Even getting Comcast to re-pair the CableCard into the new unit was a pleasant 10 minute phone call.

Comcast On Demand just got turned on last night, now to explore all that content.

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote