TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
PSPMark

Arrow Flickering "snow" and black screen blinking

Hello, Series 3 HD with two CableCards and a Tuning Adapter that recently developed a flickering and snow like appearance, with intermittent 1/4 second flashes of a black screen, no change in audio. This appears with the component connections only, and appears in menus as well as live or recorded shows. I have changed the component cables, tested on alternate device component outs and alternate TV inputs, all with no success. Component connection to the TiVo are secure, but appear to be a touch connection to the component board, meaning the RCA jacks just click into the component board. I have been able to pin this down to the Luminous Y/Green cable only, TV signal appears to be fine, as HDMI reflects no problem with current or recorded shows, so clearly the component outputs only. Could a power supply issue manifest this limited problem?

Very frustrating and I am at a loss. My option is to get a HDMI switch, so I can use the HDMI out along with other HDMI devices (TV inputs maxed out on HDMI) but really would like to correct the problem. I seem to remember this happening a few years ago, either on this Series 3 or an older Series 2 (cannot recall) but I have no idea if or how I may have corrected it.

Love the forum, thanks to all for your outstanding advice.

Last edited by PSPMark : 04-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
PSPMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPMark View Post
Hello, Series 3 HD with two CableCards and a Tuning Adapter that recently developed a flickering and snow like appearance, with intermittent 1/4 second flashes of a black screen, no change in audio. This appears with the component connections only, and appears in menus as well as live or recorded shows. I have changed the component cables, tested on alternate device component outs and alternate TV inputs, all with no success. Component connection to the TiVo are secure, but appear to be a touch connection to the component board, meaning the RCA jacks just click into the component board. I have been able to pin this down to the Luminous Y/Green cable only, TV signal appears to be fine, as HDMI reflects no problem with current or recorded shows, so clearly the component outputs only. Could a power supply issue manifest this limited problem?

Very frustrating and I am at a loss. My option is to get a HDMI switch, so I can use the HDMI out along with other HDMI devices (TV inputs maxed out on HDMI) but really would like to correct the problem. I seem to remember this happening a few years ago, either on this Series 3 or an older Series 2 (cannot recall) but I have no idea if or how I may have corrected it.

Love the forum, thanks to all for your outstanding advice.
How much experience with a soldering iron do you have and is this a TCD648250 or a TCD652160?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
PSPMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How much experience with a soldering iron do you have and is this a TCD648250 or a TCD652160?
Well, I have a soldering iron, and I am not intimidated by it. What do you suggest?

I have the Series 3 TCD648250B
Old 04-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Well, I have a soldering iron, and I am not intimidated by it. What do you suggest?

I have the Series 3 TCD648250B
Well, even without needing to melt any solder, this'll probably be easier if you take the motherboard out of the TiVo and get it under a good bright light.

You'll want to examine the underside of where that 9x9 RCA jack array connects to see if any of the connections need re-flowing, but also look out the green jack from the back side and slide in a plug and see how well it makes contact. It looks like you can stick something in from the back to bend the contact over a little, which might be all that's needed. Also some extremely fine grit emery paper rolled up and pumped in and out of the back to polish up the contact metal might help.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
PSPMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, even without needing to melt any solder, this'll probably be easier if you take the motherboard out of the TiVo and get it under a good bright light.

You'll want to examine the underside of where that 9x9 RCA jack array connects to see if any of the connections need re-flowing, but also look out the green jack from the back side and slide in a plug and see how well it makes contact. It looks like you can stick something in from the back to bend the contact over a little, which might be all that's needed. Also some extremely fine grit emery paper rolled up and pumped in and out of the back to polish up the contact metal might help.
Thanks, I will give it a shot. I will post my results. Thanks again!!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Quote:
tested on alternate device component outs and alternate TV inputs, all with no success.
Does this mean you took the tivo component outs and connected to another TV? Just wondering if the component IN of the TV was also tested?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
PSPMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Does this mean you took the tivo component outs and connected to another TV? Just wondering if the component IN of the TV was also tested?
Yes, the TV itself has two component inputs. Tested inputs on TV with an alternate input (from a DVD player) and changed inputs from the TiVo to the TV to TV component 1 and 2. I think it is the Y/Green component out of the TiVo because when I remove either the red or blue component connections the problem persists. It appears I must fix this, with the HDMI cable I occasionally get some screen blockage stating that the HDMI connection is not allowed.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
PSPMark

SOLVED: Looks like it was the power supply. I re-soldered component connections, and did not observe any "bulging" in capacitors on power supply. but the multiple reboots generated another error: The cable card 2 caused a reboot loop. That's when I threw in the towel (after changing cable cards & multiple other work arounds). WeaKnees diagnoses and replaced power supply, and all is well! Just another phantom mystery caused by a bad power supply, which was a suspect.