TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
JoeG

Only 7 days of guide data

Until a few weeks ago, my Series 1 always got 12 days of guide data (plus 2 days of past data). Now it gets only 7. Has anyone else experienced the same change, or have an explanation?
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I am seeing something similar on a Humax DRT-800 which is a series 2. I am using it with DirecTV, are you also on satellite?

EDIT - This is a stand-alone standard definition single tuner TiVo getting its signal from a DirecTV satellite receiver box (similar to a cable box, but satellite).

Last edited by CuriousMark : 03-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
JoeG

My Tivo is a Philips HDR312 Series 1 stand-alone, not a DirectTV unit.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
bryan4980

I have a premier and I am seeing the same. I get cable from comcast.
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
My Tivo is a Philips HDR312 Series 1 stand-alone, not a DirectTV unit.
I edited my post to be more clear. I understand that we are not discussing DirecTV DVRs with TiVo service. Guide data is dependent on the signal source and if cable, the location. If we are to attempt to find a common cause, that is information that we need to share.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan4980 View Post
I have a premier and I am seeing the same. I get cable from comcast.
Ok, we can rule out satellite based guide data and rule out that it is strictly limited to SD boxes. So now we are narrowed to the TiVo Service or their guide data provider Tribune Media Services.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
taronga

My S2DT was doing the same last week. It was set up for analog cable + Dish Network. I redid guided setup, removing satellite, and I get the full 13ish days again.

Incidentally, I never had Dish. It was a bit of a hack in order to record OTA through a converter box, but it was more trouble than it was worth.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
nmiller855

Have y'all tried unplugging it & waiting a couple of minutes before plugging it back in? That usually works for me. It will take a few hours to refill the guide.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
JoeG

Mine is configured for "cable and satellite" so that I can receive both Comcast cable (s-video) and local OTA from my OTA receiver (coaxial). The Tivo thinks the satellite is "Sky Angel USA National", which was a random pick on my part. It has been configured that way for almost a year.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
medley32

Only have 7 myself. Thought it was an issue with my box, but sounds like it could be a network wide problem. Just noticed the issue today when I got the "only 7 days of guide data" warning. Turns out I had made a successful daily call yesterday. So not sure what's going on. Are all series one stand alones having this problem?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
JoeG

I received a reply from Tivo customer service:

Quote:
3/17/2012 09:10 AM
Thank you for contacting Tivo Customer Support. We're here to help! We definitely apologize for the troubles you've had with downloading enough program information on your Tivo box. I'm sure these error messages have been frustrating for you. Lineups for DirecTV and Dish Network have been reduced from two weeks to 8-9 days of Program Guide Data. This was done to resolve Series 1 and Series 2 boxes using these lineups from experiencing loading errors during the connection. We had to make this change so the boxes can continue to successfully connect to the service. Due to the size of DirecTV and Dish lineups, if left at two weeks, it may have prevented the box from loading any Program Guide Data, and we were already seeing this happening on some boxes.

However, we've had many reports of customers receiving this warning message after the change and are actively working to correct this constant reminder that you have less program information. I have added your boxes to the list of affected unit. Rest assured we will have this fixed for you soon. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you for choosing Tivo and have a great day!
The fact that I am configured for Cable And Satellite so that I can have a second input active for my OTA box is probably why this is affecting me. I will send them another question asking if there is an alternative since I am not really using satellite.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:

The fact that I am configured for Cable And Satellite so that I can have a second input active for my OTA box is probably why this is affecting me. I will send them another question asking if there is an alternative since I am not really using satellite.
If TiVo had any sense they'd arrange to have a forum here where only they could post (it would be read-only for the rest of us), and they'd use it to post stuff like that in a timely manner so people coming here looking for answers would trip over it first thing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
DreamRycher

Thumbs down Arrrgh!

I have a Series 2 RS-TX20 connected to DirecTV and started getting the same message last week.

Man, I wish I had found this out sooner. I spent most of the day yesterday running through guided setup and Clear Program Information & To Do List with no success. Now I have to rebuild my Season Passes!!!
DreamRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
atmuscarella

I can confirm that some Series 2 boxes had issues loading all the guide data for Dishnetwork as I have one. My Humax Series 2 isn't used anymore but I plug it in every few months to keep it on my account as it is the only TiVo I paid full price for lifetime and I believe the only TiVo that would qualify me for a MSD in the future. Anyway the unit was used for OTA and a dish STP and when I do plug it it fails loading the guide data pretty much 100% of the time I have it plugged in. It does partial loads and I would see a few days of guide data with error messages. I really don't care and just pulled the plug again after a few days but if I were actually trying to use it I would certainly prefer 7-9 days of guide data to how my Series 2 is working.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Chester_Lampwick

Yeah I'm having this issue with my DRT800 and my Canadian satellite lineup (Shaw Direct). Maybe I'll just ignore these messages.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
ronsch

Quote:

Quote:
3/17/2012 09:10 AM
Thank you for contacting Tivo Customer Support. We're here to help! We definitely apologize for the troubles you've had with downloading enough program information on your Tivo box. I'm sure these error messages have been frustrating for you. Lineups for DirecTV and Dish Network have been reduced from two weeks to 8-9 days of Program Guide Data. This was done to resolve Series 1 and Series 2 boxes using these lineups from experiencing loading errors during the connection. We had to make this change so the boxes can continue to successfully connect to the service. Due to the size of DirecTV and Dish lineups, if left at two weeks, it may have prevented the box from loading any Program Guide Data, and we were already seeing this happening on some boxes.

However, we've had many reports of customers receiving this warning message after the change and are actively working to correct this constant reminder that you have less program information. I have added your boxes to the list of affected unit. Rest assured we will have this fixed for you soon. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you for choosing Tivo and have a great day!

Joe - First, thanks for contacting Customer Service for the rest of us!

Second - That reply from TiVo makes a lot of sense. Remember I had mentioned I had been having lots of trouble getting my HDR312 to make a successfull call in the other thread? It was constantly failing with Error Loading Series messages. I do have a combination of DirecTV and basic cable on that TiVo. Since the guide data reduction I don't think I've had a single failed call.

My Series 2 that still has a full complement of guide data is Basic Cable only.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
bryan4980

Emailed Tivo on 03-17-12

This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your inquiries. I do apologize that you are not receiving all of your guide information. What I would recommend is repeating the Guided Setup on your TiVo boxes. That will reconfigure your lineup and download a fresh installation of guide information. If that does not resolve your issue, please contact us back, so we can further troubleshoot your issue. If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us back. I would like to thank you for being a TiVo customer and have a great day!

Here is a link on how to repeat the Guided Setup:
Answer Title: How do I repeat Guided Setup?

I figured yeah right that isn't going to work but tried it any, and it actually did work. I am getting today plus 13 days of guide data.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan4980 View Post

I figured yeah right that isn't going to work but tried it any, and it actually did work. I am getting today plus 13 days of guide data.
Bryan4980, did you select Cable And Satellite or just Cable? If it is just Cable, it won't have the problem. I'm curious to see if you did Cable And Satellite and got it to start giving full guide data again after repeating Guided Setup. My current situation is that, because I am configured for Cable And Satellite, the guide data is reduced to 7 days for both the satellite lineup and the cable lineup.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
My S2DT was doing the same last week. It was set up for analog cable + Dish Network. I redid guided setup, removing satellite, and I get the full 13ish days again.

Incidentally, I never had Dish. It was a bit of a hack in order to record OTA through a converter box, but it was more trouble than it was worth.
BTW, this is how Tivo customer support reacts when you tell them you are using Cable And Satellite to activate the second input:

Quote:
Regrettably, you have your Tivo box configured in an unsupported manner and we cannot provide assistance in using your Tivo box this way. If you don't have satellite, you should not select satellite as your provider. We recommend repeating the Guided Setup and configuring your box for cable.
Not very friendly. It isn't even a hack.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
BTW, this is how Tivo customer support reacts when you tell them you are using Cable And Satellite to activate the second input:

Not very friendly. It isn't even a hack.
I told them several years ago they should create a fake satellite company that only has one or two channels, zero and one, to make it easy to activate the line ins without having to rewrite the OS.

Naturally they ignored me.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
bryan4980

Quote:
Bryan4980, did you select Cable And Satellite or just Cable? If it is just Cable, it won't have the problem. I'm curious to see if you did Cable And Satellite and got it to start giving full guide data again after repeating Guided Setup. My current situation is that, because I am configured for Cable And Satellite, the guide data is reduced to 7 days for both the satellite lineup and the cable lineup.
I selected just cable, I get cable from Comcast. Before I was getting about 9 days worth of data.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #22
myxpykalix

I went thru 2-3 phone calls and emails from Tivo and did all the things you all have done Restart, Repeat guided Setup, ect only to finally pin down a tier 2 technician who told me that the satellite providers are no longer providing 2 weeks of program info. He told me i should get 2 weeks of cable info if i only had cable and not also direct tv.

He also told me that Tivo itself does not assemble he program data itself but buys it from a 3rd party. I have been paying for 2 units for over 12 years now (I know i should have bought a couple lifetimes back then) which provided me with 2 weeks of programming so I asked, now that it is down to one week I am getting half of what i was getting before are you going to cut my bill in half?
You can guess the answer to that one.

I'm going to go check on cost of comcast with equivilent programming and reluctantly going to DUMP Tivo and DirectTV. I waited for several years for the directtv tivo only to realize to have it, it would cost an additional 17.00 so they are just pricing themselves out of the market, no wonder tivo has lost more then 1 million subscribers...make it 1 million and 1
myxpykalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
I went thru 2-3 phone calls and emails from Tivo and did all the things you all have done Restart, Repeat guided Setup, ect only to finally pin down a tier 2 technician who told me that the satellite providers are no longer providing 2 weeks of program info. He told me i should get 2 weeks of cable info if i only had cable and not also direct tv.

He also told me that Tivo itself does not assemble he program data itself but buys it from a 3rd party. I have been paying for 2 units for over 12 years now (I know i should have bought a couple lifetimes back then) which provided me with 2 weeks of programming so I asked, now that it is down to one week I am getting half of what i was getting before are you going to cut my bill in half?
You can guess the answer to that one.
It's true that they buy the data from a 3rd party, which is Tribune Media Services (the same company that runs the zap2it website). The rest of it is ignorance or outright lies.

TiVo made the decision to limit the guide data, not TMS or the satellite companies. I'm on DirecTV and my TiVos only have 7 days of data, but zap2it still has 14 days.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

It looks like they have decided to do something about the S03 error (not very many folks) and have caused another one to show for everyone.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #25
myxpykalix

[quote=ggieseke;9009917]It's true that they buy the data from a 3rd party, which is Tribune Media Services (the same company that runs the zap2it website). The rest of it is ignorance or outright lies.

I'm not interested in getting into a "pissing contest" with you ggieseke but i am repeating what I was told and what difference does it make whether they are only provided one week of programming, or Tivo decides to only provide one week of programming, the net result is we are getting HALF of what we have been paying for.

To me it's just like going to the grocery store, bringing up a loaf of bread to the counter, they open it up take half the loaf out and charge you for the full loaf, I don't see a difference.

So i don't know where your comment of "ignorance or outright lies" comes from? The net results are the same, we get half what we were getting before!
myxpykalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #26
ggieseke

myxpykalix,

That comment was directed at TiVo, not you. Their customer support tech should NOT have told you that. The answer that JoeG received from CS is polite, accurate, and a good example of how all of their techs should be trained.

I have also posted my disappointment in the answer you were given in the private "All-Stars" forum at TiVo. It probably won't do any good, but at least they read my post.

BTW, the 7-day issue is affecting all four of my TiVos. I don't like it either but as long as they're transparent about what they're doing, why they did it, and what they're doing to fix it I can live with it for now.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
BTW, the 7-day issue is affecting all four of my TiVos. I don't like it either but as long as they're transparent about what they're doing, why they did it, and what they're doing to fix it I can live with it for now.
What are they doing to fix the 7 days of guide data? I didn't read anything?

It's a shame they've cut back on the guide data. Shortening the window to schedule shows is a bummer. I know I've missed programs because I had to remember to program them when inside the two week window. This makes it much more likely that people will miss programming.

Recording programming is TiVo's core feature. A core feature is being compromised.

If they need more space on a reserved area I'd suggest they toss some of the advertising overboard.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
csites

Quote:

JoeG, I also configured Satellite (Dish) solely to be able to use the 2nd input. And so I have the limited guide data problem on my Series2 too. Please let me know if you find a solution.

I don't have Dish, but I use the Dish guide data because Dish carries the channel (CCTV4) that I receive via free OTA satellite.

My primary connection is free OTA antenna. Both primary and secondary are being limited to around 7 days, despite successful daily connections.
csites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
What are they doing to fix the 7 days of guide data? I didn't read anything?

It's a shame they've cut back on the guide data. Shortening the window to schedule shows is a bummer. I know I've missed programs because I had to remember to program them when inside the two week window. This makes it much more likely that people will miss programming.

Recording programming is TiVo's core feature. A core feature is being compromised.

If they need more space on a reserved area I'd suggest they toss some of the advertising overboard.
I think part of the proiblem may be the considerable increase in the number of channels since the early units were designed, which has them struggling with a much larger database than was expected.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #30
ggieseke

This announcement is now on TiVo's site.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp

TiVo Series2 boxes connected to satellite are currently only receiving 7 days-worth of Program Guide Data after connecting to the TiVo service. A solution has been devised and will roll-out to Series2 boxes by Wednesday, April 11. Thank you for your patience.