Originally Posted by Jesda
The created these characters to mimic reality

They did?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
They did?
I sure thought so. I got hooked on this show originally because for just about everyone in the cast, I could name someone I had worked with who was just like them. Michael was the easiest. I worked with a bunch of sales managers just like him.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #33
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I read the thread and expected all kinds of Nellie drama then found very little. It was all Andy drama. Not a funny episode but not a horrible one either.
It was Andy drama because of Nellie though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
They did?
Yes. Go back to the first three or four seasons.

There was enough connection to reality to make the humorous situations just silly enough to be believable.

Now it's ridiculous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:

Yes. Go back to the first three or four seasons.

There was enough connection to reality to make the humorous situations just silly enough to be believable.

Now it's ridiculous.
Saw parallels to real life. Never saw anything near reality. Michael would never have a job. Especially after the sex he had with his boss. That was early on.

It was never believable. It was just funnier.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #36
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4

It was Andy drama because of Nellie though.
Because Nellie was the new boss. Sorry dies not compute. It was drama because of Robert California then.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #37
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Saw parallels to real life. Never saw anything near reality. Michael would never have a job. Especially after the sex he had with his boss. That was early on.

It was believable because, despite the ridiculous situations, the characters' personalities were based on people one would encounter in a real life office. Michael is more true to life than you know.

That allowed the viewer to enjoy the program without questioning the realism of outlandish outcomes.

My blog:
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Because Nellie was the new boss. Sorry dies not compute. It was drama because of Robert California then.
Actually yours does not compute. She was the drama because she took over his place...she was not the boss. She was not given the job title, she just walked in and took over. Robert did not want her there.

She was bullying her way in and Andy fought it. He was ready to take over and would have until Robert finally at the very end decided.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
DougF

Quote:

You must not have worked too many places, then. I have been in at least two where just about everything from the first few seasons was absolutely believable.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
secondclaw

Quote:
They did?
In my professional experience ... Michael and Pam are pretty much the people I worked with at one time. Sure their actions are exaggerated for comedy but they are quiet recognizable. In the beginning of the show I used to groan every time Michael did something my boss has done... then I just gave up - it was too much.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Oh come on. You've never worked with a Phyllis? I've worked with many.

And, come to think of it, several Angelas.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #42
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I've worked with a Phyllis, Jim, Michael, a few Kevins, a whole bunch of know-it-all nerdy Dwights, and a David Wallace.

Never encountered a Creed though, but I want to. We'd start a cult.

My blog:
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #43
ct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Never encountered a Creed though, but I want to.
We've got one of those. Quite a character...
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #44
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I've worked with a Phyllis, Jim, Michael, a few Kevins, a whole bunch of know-it-all nerdy Dwights, and a David Wallace.

I've worked with a few Michaels, definitely some Kevins, and several Charles Miners (I hate working for Charles) mmmmm the rest I dunno.

OMG do I wanna work with a Creed though..... well only if my desk isn't next to him and his mung beans.

Last edited by SeanC : 04-23-2012 at 07:23 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #45
TonyD79

Quote:

So how have many of those people changed? Some are sort of realistic. Some are not. But no way would a Michael Scott be running a branch of a company. He was stupid. What about Ryan? Real believable. Jan?

They are mostly extremes.

I cannot separate the people from what they do. No office ever runs the way the one on this show does. Isolated incidents, maybe, but not overall. It is all satire.

I will give you that California and Nellie lack subtlety. That is the difference. Not believability.

BTW, Nellie was far more believable in THIS episode than Andy. And that is what confused me in the posts here. I read them before I watched. I expected insanity from Nellie. Didn't get it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #46
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
Oh come on. You've never worked with a Phyllis? I've worked with many.

And, come to think of it, several Angelas.
Ditto. And a Jim, Pam (I think I was Pam), and even a Toby.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #47
busyba
The Funcooker

"He really does not like that wall." awesome callback.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79
BTW, Nellie was far more believable in THIS episode than Andy. And that is what confused me in the posts here. I read them before I watched. I expected insanity from Nellie. Didn't get it.
Nellie was believable in this episode? You've worked with people who just took over offices and positions without earning them, and then flatly refused orders from their superiors when told to relinquish the space/position? You've worked with people who would call a meeting to discuss something as inappropriate as impotence and erections?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #49
Tracy
Truly

I really enjoyed the opening sequence with them trying to get Phyllis to say her rain phrases.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #50
ct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I really enjoyed the opening sequence with them trying to get Phyllis to say her rain phrases.

Surely after that some people will notice the 'Phyllis' in their office...

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #51
Fahtrim

Creed was awesome

"Jinx, buy me some Coke."

"Never had a complaint, wouldn't care if I did."
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #52
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
In both last week and this week's episodes I enjoyed the opening sequence more than any other part of the show.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #53
Necromancer2006

This show is a gigantic shell of it's former self. It's going to need a reboot in order to do anything. I can't believe it's got the ratings it has.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
"He really does not like that wall." awesome callback.
THAT'S the one I laughed at.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #55
bentleya

I think they are kinda floundering around try to get there grove back. I really didn't think Steve Carell held the show together but I just don't think they have found a sutable replacement. I honestly think they are trying to find another Steve Carell when they could just go the oposite way with it. Get the dufus tyrant of the boss and having the whole office playing practical jokes on him and he is even too stupid to figure that out. Plus them sneaking around to avoid working without the boss knowing and playing jokes on each other without the boss finding out.

I think that would be a hell of a lot funnier then what they have going on right now.
bentleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #56
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
So how have many of those people changed? Some are sort of realistic. Some are not. But no way would a Michael Scott be running a branch of a company. He was stupid. What about Ryan? Real believable. Jan?

They are mostly extremes.

I cannot separate the people from what they do. No office ever runs the way the one on this show does. Isolated incidents, maybe, but not overall. It is all satire.
Michael Scott being promoted is very realistic. Often, charismatic people end up in positions for which they are underqualified. They sometimes become obnoxious and boisterous to compensate for their lacking abilities.

Ryan was believable in the first few seasons as a temp, an outsider who didn't want to be there and thought he was too good for everyone.

Likewise with Jan. Aside from her conduct at work, I could buy into a woman in her 40s who wanted normalcy but lacked the selflessness and sanity to have a family.

Eventually the characters became more and more disconnected from reality, and when Michael was written out of the show, the other characters had to suddenly compensate for his absence by amping up their quirks.

Likeable, quirky characters became bat-sh*t crazy.

Charisma comes with likeability. Nellie lacks it, so her acquired position as office manager is too hard to believe.

My blog:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #57
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
I think they are kinda floundering around try to get there grove back. I really didn't think Steve Carell held the show together but I just don't think they have found a sutable replacement.
With Carell as the primary comic relief, the rest of the cast could play "the straight man."

I agree, it's time to find a new formula.

My blog:
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #58
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Michael Scott was a brilliant salesman and an incompetent manager. I have definitely worked for someone like that. They had a brilliant mind for the work so were rewarded with a promotion. But they were terrible managers, inappropriate and lacking in ability.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #59
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
... I think that would be a hell of a lot funnier then what they have going on right now.
uhhh ... don't quit your day job.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #60
ct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Michael Scott was a brilliant salesman and an incompetent manager. I have definitely worked for someone like that. They had a brilliant mind for the work so were rewarded with a promotion. But they were terrible managers, inappropriate and lacking in ability.
The Peter Principle at work.