TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Dexter S06E07 "Nebraska" 11/13/2011

OK, I take it back. I loved having Brian back (since it was only for one episode)! What a hoot. That road trip was really fun: loved Dexter hooking up with the shopgirl to steal her gun, then shooting up road signs. Having Brian pitchfork the guy was pretty unbelievable though; obviously Dexter really did it but how does he grab a pitchfork and stab the guy when the guy is pointing a gun right at him, point blank?!?! And heck if someone stabbed me with a pitchfork I'd shoot him before I died, just on principal.

And, I was happy with the way they played out the story as well. A good, believable way to have Dexter "snap back" to the code; if he'd killed Jonah then just decided "well, time to go home!" that would have been pretty weak. Amusing how he picked up his dad on the way home.

I was also happy to see Debra show a little maturity when dealing with Quinn.

A lot of muddying of the waters this time with Prof. Gellar. The woman who was freed seemed pretty definite that there were two people, an older man and a younger man, but voices can be faked and it wasn't clear she was ever touched by both at the same time. Even making her drink blood could have been accomplished by one person, with a knee behind the neck, one hand pulling the head back, and the other pouring the blood.

Still... not a good week for the "he's imaginary" crowd...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Having Brian pitchfork the guy was pretty unbelievable though; obviously Dexter really did it but how does he grab a pitchfork and stab the guy when the guy is pointing a gun right at him, point blank?!?! And heck if someone stabbed me with a pitchfork I'd shoot him before I died, just on principal.
That bothered me, too. Not that Brian seemed to grab the pitchfork, I'll give them that metaphor. But as you say, the guy was pointing the gun at Dexter from about five feet away. It seems like the writers wanted to create a situation where Dexter had no choice but to kill the guy, then they were unable to do a good job with the logistics of the situation. Which is sad, because there are several ways they could have done it. The smallest change would have been to have the guy fire the gun but it was empty (unlikely that neither of them realized, but better than what we saw). Better still would have been to have the guy approach Dexter with the knife, and Dexter overpower him and semi-accidently stab him with the knife.

Did you notice that when they were eating in the motel room, Brian had his own cup and sandwich box, which remained on the table as they left the room?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I wish they'd filled in the gap to see for sure but I don't think it's that surprising that a random guy who maybe was even a bit high didn't react quickly to the pitchfork.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I wish they'd filled in the gap to see for sure but I don't think it's that surprising that a random guy who maybe was even a bit high didn't react quickly to the pitchfork.
No, it wasn't just quickly, it was AT ALL. He did not die instantly from the pitchfork. He could have shot Dexter after being stabbed. Just a terribly executed scene.

Besides, Dexter had to look behind him, turn, lift the pitchfork from the hanger, rotate the pitchfork from vertical to horizontal, and then thrust the pitchfork into the guy.

On the other hand, marijuana man only had to move his finger half an inch.

Considering that MM was pretty quick to back away from Dexter and grab the gun a minute before, I think it is safe to say that he should have easily been able to shoot Dexter before getting stabbed with the pitchfork.

Last edited by john4200 : 11-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
A lot of muddying of the waters this time with Prof. Gellar. The woman who was freed seemed pretty definite that there were two people, an older man and a younger man, but voices can be faked and it wasn't clear she was ever touched by both at the same time. Even making her drink blood could have been accomplished by one person, with a knee behind the neck, one hand pulling the head back, and the other pouring the blood.

Still... not a good week for the "he's imaginary" crowd...
I'm definitely part of the imaginary crowd. I thought for a second that they were making it known that there were two guys, but then the girl said she was blindfolded and only identified the two by voice. That pushed it back even further into the imaginary side for me. ( my mind flashed to Norman Bates doing his mom voice )

We also saw Dexter's brother doing a fair amount of interaction with physical objects this week and we know he's not real. I can't imagine that Gellar would be real after this long without indication. It has been way too subtle if their idea all along was to make us think he was imaginary and only reveal at the end he was real. The big surprise only works the other way.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
farleyruskz
Nunya

farleyruskz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
danterner
Not it!

I was coming here to post the same two images, Farleyruskz. I laughed out loud when the scene composed itself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I was coming here to post the same two images, Farleyruskz. I laughed out loud when the scene composed itself.
Moi aussi. LOL!

Thunder stolen ...

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

They also seemed to be spending the whole episode going out of their way to show us imaginary people interacting with the environment. Rudy throwing bags overboard, handing them to Dexter, having his own meal, and the pitchfork thing.

But the woman talking about two voices is interesting. Maybe our killer talks out both sides of his conversations? I'm feeling more and more that the writers aren't just trying to set us up for a big surprise and expecting us not to have thought of it until the surprise, but rather, are intentionally creating this conversation and uncertainty.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Moi aussi. LOL!

Thunder stolen ...
Ditto. I rewound and paused it too.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyruskz View Post
Whoa!!!

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

Yeah, as soon as that image was on screen I said, "I see what you did there."

Dex is so sloppy. I'm sure the convenient store had cameras, and there he is stealing a gun right on camera. He likely still has the motel pen from Nebraska. He used his cell phone while in Nebraska. For a man on a mission to murder, he didn't seem concerned with hiding the fact that he was in town.

I guess it's nothing new though. The writers haven't made it a priority to cover his tracks for a while.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post

Dex is so sloppy. I'm sure the convenient store had cameras, and there he is stealing a gun right on camera. He likely still has the motel pen from Nebraska. He used his cell phone while in Nebraska. For a man on a mission to murder, he didn't seem concerned with hiding the fact that he was in town.

I guess it's nothing new though. The writers haven't made it a priority to cover his tracks for a while.
I think they may have been saying since this is Dexter with his brother as his dark passenger, he is not nearly as careful as he normally is.

Can you imagine the normally meticulous Dexter with the code shooting up stop signs?

-smak-
smak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I think they may have been saying since this is Dexter with his brother as his dark passenger, he is not nearly as careful as he normally is.

Can you imagine the normally meticulous Dexter with the code shooting up stop signs?

-smak-
Of course that is what was being depicted. Dexter was under the influence of Brian (who despised Harry's code -- and Deb). Once he "ran over" Brian and picked up Harry the hitchhiker, things were back to "the way we were".

But there is potential for all the sloppiness in Nebraska to come back and bite him.

Interesting that Gellar was shown gutting the gators and preparing to sew their heads together as Travis is going through his rebellious stage with him. I'm still not sure about whether the Professor is real or imaginary. I'm still leaning toward the latter.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
robojerk

I vote that the professor is imaginary.

I think they're setting up the season to show what would happen if your murderous manifestation took over.

With Dexter, the fact that his dark passenger took the form of his brother, was screaming for Dexter to just kill somebody, had Dexter steal a gun and go on a shooting spree (no one injured but signs), then for a short moment took over and murdered the motel clerk (albeit, self defense). I'm not sure if Dexter liked it or not, but Harry's code creeped back in and probably saved Dexter from his reckless break.

With the DDK, Travis may be rebelling against his Gellar manifestation but I don't think he has the balls to stand up to the Gellar and stop his own self. I think the Gellar's character (if a manifistation) will eventually gain control of Travis.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

If Dexter can have two different manifestations (Harry and Rudy) to choose from, maybe our villain can as well. When I think about who his Harry-equivalent might be, though, the only thing that seems logical is his sister. And we've seen third parties reacting to his sister (most notably her art students). Drat, it would have made a nice twist for her to be imaginary too.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
Family

This sloppy?

How about when he flew to France to kill that nutjob a few seasons back?
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
VegasVic
Craps Player

I don't think she ever said she actually heard two voices (I'll have to rewatch). I think she said she heard the guy refer to the other guy as "the professor". But I don't remember her specifically saying she heard two guys talking.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post

Yeah I don't know if they are being sloppy or if they are just leaving some loose ends that they can use in future episodes/seasons. Maybe in the final season some, or one, of these comes back into play.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
Family

FWIW I thought this was a horrible episode and missed opportunity. They should have toyed more with Dexter's dark side. This is season six so why not? I think he should have killed the kid (closer to Miami so there would be less brother scenes) and spent the rest of this season discovering his regret and conscience. For the finale he could have spared this season's serial killer because he has a conscience and dark passenger as well. Then dad could reappear.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #21
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic
I don't think she ever said she actually heard two voices (I'll have to rewatch). I think she said she heard the guy refer to the other guy as "the professor". But I don't remember her specifically saying she heard two guys talking.
After hearing her say what she said, I immediately rewound and listened again to see if she ever said she heard two voices. My takeaway was that her dialog was very carefully crafted so that viewers would come away with that feeling, but that she never actually said there were two voices or even that she heard both sides of the conversation.
| Twitter:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #22
tiams

I think the fact that they brought Dexter's brother back was a big clue that the professor is dead. The writers wanted to remind the viewers that serial killers see dead people. When it is finally revealed I think the part of the audience who is truly surprised will just feel like the writers cheated. The rest of us are going to be unimpressed.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams
I think the fact that they brought Dexter's brother back was a big clue that the professor is dead. The writers wanted to remind the viewers that serial killers see dead people. When it is finally revealed I think the part of the audience who is truly surprised will just feel like the writers cheated. The rest of us are going to be unimpressed.
Would have been interesting to see a John Lithgow cameo in this episode.
| Twitter:
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
pmyers

Quote:
After hearing her say what she said, I immediately rewound and listened again to see if she ever said she heard two voices. My takeaway was that her dialog was very carefully crafted so that viewers would come away with that feeling, but that she never actually said there were two voices or even that she heard both sides of the conversation.
I agree. She never said she heard two voices just that there were 2 people.

I just know that Travis' sister is going to end up being the final sacrifice.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
sharkster

They made too much of a point of showing the Nebraska pen...methinks he is going to get busted with it by somebody.

I agree about the pitchfork scene. Glad he killed the guy, though. He was a total dick and you could tell nothing good was going to come from that character. On a side note, it didn't make sense to me for Dexter to leave his tools in the car and relinquish control of the car to hayseed boy.

I think that Travis is like Norman Bates...one body, two voices/personalities.

I thought the 'shooting up signs and stuff' deal kind of weird and sloppy. It's hard for me to see Dexter do sloppy stuff.

I feel sorry for Arthur's kid. I hope he takes Dexter's advice to forgive himself.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I just know that Travis' sister is going to end up being the final sacrifice.
I had that thought also, which is a bummer as I really like that actor. I became a fan of hers in the short-lived Swingers (was that the name?) series.

ETA - I looked it up and the show was called Swingtown. Loved it...guess I was the only one.

Last edited by sharkster : 11-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Cool, that confirms what I thought. She just heard one voice but based on what she said and what she felt she THOUGHT there were two people there.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I had that thought also, which is a bummer as I really like that actor. I became a fan of hers in the short-lived Swingers (was that the name?) series.
Molly Parker is a great actress who deserves a much bigger role than this -- which she is getting on the upcoming show The Firm, co-starring with Josh Lucas.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia88 View Post
Molly Parker is a great actress who deserves a much bigger role than this -- which she is getting on the upcoming show The Firm, co-starring with Josh Lucas.
During the first season of Boardwalk Empire, Nucky (one of the main characters) had a photograph of his dead wife and it was Molly Parker. I keep looking for there to be flashbacks featuring her, but so far, no go.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #30
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I'll look for her in The Firm, but that show will be bittersweet for me since I'm enjoying Prime Suspect so much.