TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Comic Book Men anyone?

I'm a Kevin Smith fan, so I had to check this one out. Even as "store reality" shows go (Pawn Stars, Hard Core Pawn, etc.)this is really scripted, but I'm kinda digging it. The "podcast" round table offers some amusing stories. Bryan is particularly funny. Loved when Jay stopped by and Kevin's description of him. Anyone else watching this? Worth a look IMHO.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
sieglinde

I didn't bother. Looked like a way to make fun of comic geeks and even though I am not a comic geek, I have too many friends who are.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
CharlieW
Go to the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I didn't bother. Looked like a way to make fun of comic geeks and even though I am not a comic geek, I have too many friends who are.

Full disclosure before my review of the show: Although I have a pretty serious collection of Batman comics from the early 80s through late 90s (plus some earlier stuff) and enjoy the field -- I am by no means an expert of any of the comics universes. Since Kevin Smith and I grew up in the same town, I've followed his career pretty closely and can say that I am a fan.

That being said, as a local who has been to 'Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash' numerous times and someone who has purchased comics from most of the cast members on the show -- I can tell you that these gentlemen are sincere about their love of the comic culture. I don't feel that this show exploits the "comic geek", it celebrates the field of comics and movie memorabilia. As a matter of fact, I would say that 'The Big Bang Theory' (which I also love) makes fun of the characters' love of comics/memorabilia more than this show. On BBT, it seems that the "non-comic geek" characters often times don't understand the aspect of grown men liking comic books, action figures etc. They often make jokes about it at their own expense.

On Comic Book Men, the guys don't put each other down for their love of comics. As a matter of fact, it seems the more that you know, the more well-regarded you are in their circle. They take pride in their knowledge of the history of the field and truly enjoy seeing people come into the store with their finds.

After two episodes, we're really enjoying watching this after 'The Walking Dead'.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
MikeMar
Go Pats

I setup and then deleted the SP

While I have watched both episodes, the 2nd one I just came across it while on and put it on in the background. Just doesn't grab me as I'm not a comic book person at all, so not their target audience

I'd put it in the decent category.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
JoBeth66
Temp

Plus 1 to Charlie - other than not growing up in the same town as Kevin Smith (though he and I have at least one common friend). I'm enjoying this show a lot, and I was a major comic book geek in the 80's.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
+ 1 to Jobeth.

I have been enjoying the show. I lived and breathed in a comic store in the 80's when I was collecting and dating several guys that were collectors. I haven't been to one in a few years but they don't change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Love this show. they are definitely not making fun of comic culture. They're celebrating it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's interesting that they're glossing over Walter's (admittedly brief) career as a comic book artist...he drew 18 issues of Batman (all written by, astonishing coincidence, Kevin Smith).

I thought his art was on the border between amateurish and competent...not bad enough to turn me off the book, but not good enough to draw me in. Apparently, he's either not good enough or not ambitious enough (or not fast enough?) to get work when it's not from his patron...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

It would be better IMHO if it wasn't so very obviously scripted. The "customers" that come in aren't spontaneous at all. I had high hopes though.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

I haven't collected since I was 12 or so, but I "get" comic book geeks because most of my friends are.

I enjoyed the show. I'll probably watch it again since it's on right after Walking Dead.

I had a pretty serious Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, and Wolverine Collection...made some pretty good cheddah when I got over it.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I watched after reading this thread and I enjoyed it. SP is set for me.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I am watching it and I never in my life have been a comic book guy. I don't think they are making fun of the comic world at all. They all love comics and are extremely knowledgable about the subject.

It's enjoyable and yes it is obviously scripted, very much in the same manner as Pawn Stars. It is still fun to watch.

They did mention Walter's art work last night although did not go into details about it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I setup and then deleted the SP

While I have watched both episodes, the 2nd one I just came across it while on and put it on in the background. Just doesn't grab me as I'm not a comic book person at all, so not their target audience

I'd put it in the decent category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Love this show. they are definitely not making fun of comic culture. They're celebrating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I am watching it and I never in my life have been a comic book guy. I don't think they are making fun of the comic world at all. They all love comics and are extremely knowledgable about the subject.

It's enjoyable and yes it is obviously scripted, very much in the same manner as Pawn Stars. It is still fun to watch.

They did mention Walter's art work last night although did not go into details about it.
I don't go to Pawn Shops or Self-Storage facilities, nor do I associate with Repo men, but I can still watch the shows.

I am enjoying this series, but was only made aware of it by this thread! Thanks to the OP for that!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Only caught the most recent episode but I liked it.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
WinBear
Konner Kringle

I've been watching it. I like the customer visits and the discussion about their comics or toys, but the weekly stunt (flea market, Jay's visit, the commercial) is wearing thin.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui

Same here. Never been a comic book guy. Had a roommate in college who was a huge collector but was not your typical geeky nerd. From that exposure I read some x-men and that's it

I am enjoying the show. I sometimes have listened to the tell em Steve dave podcast which most of them have been on. It is scripted but I enjoy it
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
mattack

I think Kevin Smith is entertaining (though I'm not really a huge fan of his movies), and there was an entertaining Adam Carolla episode that Kevin Smith bravely showed up on recently to go head to head with Adam about a dispute they were having. (Basically, both thought of the other to co-host a TV show with.. They both ended up signing contracts separately.. and Adam got screwed out of the deal.. and DIDN'T sue for $500K that it seems like he could have successfully sued for.. Then each of them was disparaging the other on their own podcasts, but until the aforementioned Adam Carolla episode, I only heard Adam's side and Kevin's side third-hand through Adam and some podcast quotes he had on his show..)

Anyway, I saw this listing a week or two ago when browsing listings, but haven't seen it rerun from ep 1 yet.. and OCD-ish as I am, I want to start with ep 1.. Plus I'm already recording way more than I can watch at the moment.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
I think Kevin Smith is entertaining (though I'm not really a huge fan of his movies), and there was an entertaining Adam Carolla episode that Kevin Smith bravely showed up on recently to go head to head with Adam about a dispute they were having. (Basically, both thought of the other to co-host a TV show with.. They both ended up signing contracts separately.. and Adam got screwed out of the deal.. and DIDN'T sue for $500K that it seems like he could have successfully sued for.. Then each of them was disparaging the other on their own podcasts, but until the aforementioned Adam Carolla episode, I only heard Adam's side and Kevin's side third-hand through Adam and some podcast quotes he had on his show..)

Anyway, I saw this listing a week or two ago when browsing listings, but haven't seen it rerun from ep 1 yet.. and OCD-ish as I am, I want to start with ep 1.. Plus I'm already recording way more than I can watch at the moment.
Just so you know it is a quick watch for an hour show if that makes sense. It does not require a lot of focus or attention.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Comic Book men has been renewed for 16 episodes next season.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
That's good news! I enjoy this show
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui
Cool. I didn't think anyone watched it. I enjoyed it and I don't like comic books.