TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

Meerkat Manor (whole season to date)

I dont think it's a big enough show to warrant weekly threads but if masses disagree we can of course start another thread next week.

Are these the same creatures that were in the Gods must be crazy II? Love em. I was a bit irritated in letting nature take its course with the snake. I would have swooped in and took that little guy to the hospital. And how in the world do they get the shots where they are close and the kats are moving? Like when they were all running, i swear there had to be a camera guy running along side. I did see the fixed cameras around home, but some shots were pretty good out in the far reaches of the territory

Interesting that the female may kill the grandkids. Talk about population control. you'd figure she would want all the new sentries she could get but i guess not.

i can't believe who's narrating this lol...at least it's not james earl jones though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
sieglinde

Were the grandkids brats? Would explain it to me.
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
darthrsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter

Are these the same creatures that were in the Gods must be crazy II?
Nope, that was a badger. Badger owns meerkat.
darthrsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

This is an interesting show; I'm enjoying it so far. How many episodes have there been? I have seen just the last two (Shakespeare is bitten by the snake and the clash with the rival clan of meerkats).

The social aspects of these animals is fascinating to me. And I could watch them standing up all day long. It's one of the funniest things I've seen animals do. I've always been a meerkat fan because of all the watching and looking they do.
zyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
appleye1

There's only been those two episodes.

My kids and I love watching the show, but my wife refuses to watch. She doesn't like "realistic nature shows". She'd prefer to believe that there was no killing or sickness going on out there in the animal kingdom. Timon and Hakuna Matata = Good. Shakespeare and snake bite = Bad.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
gschrock

Quote:
And how in the world do they get the shots where they are close and the kats are moving? Like when they were all running, i swear there had to be a camera guy running along side.
I haven't watched this show, but did watch another documentary on meerkats once, and they showed the cameras the guy was using. One of them was a camera mounted on a pole, held down at the level of the meerkats. Was a pretty interesting documentay, but I don't remember the title. Basically, he found that after a period of time, the things just completely ignored him, so I'm guessing that like that show, this show spent a lot of time around them before filming to get them used to the cameraman.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
shivathediva2003

I dont get to watch

I dont get the privlage to watch this show i recieved a teaser from vocalpoint surveys. I only get the regular discovery channel. If anyone can help me find someway of watching this show i would love to hear it, or possibly start a mad compaign directed at discovery channel to play this series as well. Or at least once a week hold a marathon. I know im slightly tired of watching the same episodes of deadliest catch. (i love the show but comeone!!) please help!!!
shivathediva2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

I'm not following the show but just read in a recent Entertainment Weekly that they had about 10 YEARS of footage that they culled down for these shows.

KD

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
newsposter
Poster of News

i had no idea animal planet was a "premium"

!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
SD493

Quote:
i had no idea animal planet was a "premium"

Just saw all three episodes back to back last night. Much better than the reality shows on the big networks.
SD493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock
I haven't watched this show, but did watch another documentary on meerkats once, and they showed the cameras the guy was using. One of them was a camera mounted on a pole, held down at the level of the meerkats. Was a pretty interesting documentay, but I don't remember the title. Basically, he found that after a period of time, the things just completely ignored him, so I'm guessing that like that show, this show spent a lot of time around them before filming to get them used to the cameraman.
That was the 1-hour documentary from 2003, shown on APL, "Meerkats Unleashed". Highly recommended. Shows-up every once in awhile on APL. "Unleashed" was much better, IMHO, than the new "Manor" series, although "Manor" is similar and has new information (little kat gets bitten by adder but survives in "Unleashed").

Quote:
I was a bit irritated in letting nature take its course with the snake. I would have swooped in and took that little guy to the hospital.
The point is not to interfere with the natural cycle of life, as it relates to the meerkat, and shows what really happens; quite frequently, in fact, with the meerkat and other African creatures. In "Unleashed" the little meerkat lives. I know it's painful and maybe a "PG" for parents with kids 7 or younger, but it shows life as it is, even "mating" and "incest" (as we humans call it) and even "infanticide." But, then again, we have that in human society, don't we? But as inherently "moral" creatures, i.e. humans, we should know the difference between sin and morality.With lower animals, it all relates to survival.

Quote:
Interesting that the female may kill the grandkids. Talk about population control. you'd figure she would want all the new sentries she could get but i guess not.
In these creatures it is life and survival, not lust/murder, and nothing "personal."
As explained in the "Manor" doc, the "head" female is only allowed to have babies for quite logical reasons: too many babies means less food, more "babysitters" to lose for the food search, etc. Sort of a "tribal" thing but, again, nothing "personal."

Want to learn even more about the grand meerkat?:

http://www.fellowearthlings.org/fenews.html

There will be thirteen episodes of "Manor" on APL...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)

Last edited by newswatcher : 06-17-2006 at 07:24 PM.
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

What an interesting animal! I, too, watched all three episodes last night and will be watching the upcoming episodes, although I'm kind of like the wife who'd prefer to believe there's no weeding out of the herd and such.

I was terrified Shakespeare was gonna be carried off by a bird.

And I could also watch them standing up all day. And their head movements amuse me to no end.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
gschrock

Quote:
That was the 1-hour documentary from 2003, shown on APL, "Meerkats Unleashed". Highly recommended. Shows-up every once in awhile on APL. "Unleashed" was much better, IMHO, than the new "Manor" series, although "Manor" is similar and has new information (little kat gets bitten by adder but survives in "Unleashed").
Yup, that's definitely the one I watched. Definitely worth catching when it comes up on the tv.

There's just something that I find amusing about watching a meerkat that's sitting up fall over backwards. These things always have me rolling on the floor with laughter.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I have these eps waiting for me, thanks to the review in Entertainment Weekly!

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
newswatcher

Remember to tune into the second series of MEERKAT MANOR on Animal Planet beginning Friday, September 29th. Check local listings. FYI.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #16
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Second series? Ooh ooh ooh! Maybe I can then watch it with the first season all in one day! (No, I still haven't watched the first series!)
Old 09-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #17
newswatcher

You obviously don't know what you're missing. Great series. You may want to SP it or at least watch one episode; you might get hooked...

Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhudson
Second series? Ooh ooh ooh! Maybe I can then watch it with the first season all in one day! (No, I still haven't watched the first series!)
I think they recently did a rerun of everything. Hope you caught it!

they are so cute. I even now call when my cat 'sits up pretty' a 'meerkat' move.

!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #19
newsposter
Poster of News

i guess we have to write the 2 off since they said they werent seen in a while?

!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

I wish they'd stop teasing us and just let us know already what happened to Shakespeare. It was bad enough having the season ending cliffhanger, but now we're 2 episodes in and they still haven't addressed what happened to him.

lal
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
eddyj

AARRRGGGHHH!!! No spoilers!!! I am WAY behind with these.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
newsposter
Poster of News

we need closure! tosca may be around

!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Over a year later and I just started watching these today. I am SO tenderhearted when it comes to animals I wasn't sure I should/could watch these, but I started anyway. And I just about bawled during Episode 1 (Shakespeare) and I still cringe when I see him in later episodes... But I am making it through because they are SO damn cute!!

The only thing at this point is I have to refer to the Episode guide to make sure I watch them in order, since I've been recording them for a year and they're in NO order. LOL

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
justapixel
Domestic Extremist

I've seen every episode of the series.

I do enjoy it, but it's very repetitive. Flower has babies, meerkats fight a rival gang, gang finds babies and eats them. Flower has more babies, two grow up one gets eaten by a snake. Another female has babies, Flower kills them. Meerkats forage, eat scorpions, a bird watches. They run into a rivals burrow, a fight ensues, babies get eaten.

There, now you know the entire series. I don't know why it's still enjoyable - maybe just because I love to see those little creatures wardance.

The meerkats at the San Diego Zoo are my favorite exhibit.. They are so darling, and so much smaller than they seem on the show. Intellectually you know they are small, but when you see it in person it's surprising.

Thank you to my TCF friends for your help in winning the contest and your support of my son's education. You are all amazing people, and I adore you.

justapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by justapixel
I do enjoy it, but it's very repetitive. Flower has babies, meerkats fight a rival gang, gang finds babies and eats them. Flower has more babies, two grow up one gets eaten by a snake. Another female has babies, Flower kills them. Meerkats forage, eat scorpions, a bird watches. They run into a rivals burrow, a fight ensues, babies get eaten.
I just started watching this season (three?). It's fun to watch, but sometimes it's so heartbreaking. All that baby eating. Maybe if they didn't anthropomorphize them so much. Give them names, attribute personalities to them (is Houdini really that great a lover?), share with us their joys & disappointments.

In one episode we meet Len & Squiggy; we learn all about life as a little meerkat. We watch Squiggy struggle with his deformed leg. Then thirty minutes later, Len is snatched by a hawk, and Squiggy is left to starve to death. Uggh, it's almost too painful to watch.

Maybe I'm just a softie . . .
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #26
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Well, that was short-lived. I deleted all of them. I can't stand to be that emotional when watching TV, even if they are the cutest little buggers around.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #27
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
I just started watching this season (three?). It's fun to watch, but sometimes it's so heartbreaking. All that baby eating. Maybe if they didn't anthropomorphize them so much. Give them names, attribute personalities to them (is Houdini really that great a lover?), share with us their joys & disappointments.

In one episode we meet Len & Squiggy; we learn all about life as a little meerkat. We watch Squiggy struggle with his deformed leg. Then thirty minutes later, Len is snatched by a hawk, and Squiggy is left to starve to death. Uggh, it's almost too painful to watch.

Maybe I'm just a softie . . .
Mild spoilers...
Spoiler:
I won't go into details, but I was looking around today and it looks like it's only going to get harder to watch. Avoid the Wikipedia article if you don't want it spoiled for you.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #28
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Flower

Felt it was needed to mention, to those that have followed the antics of the series Meerkat Manor...
I was quite surprised to see this evening on "Journeys End" that the leader of the "Whiskers" life has come to an end defending her recent clans pups, her own...

There is a well deserved tribute to Flower on the Animal Planet home page...

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites...er/flower.html

It must have been tough for the film crew to have witnessed her tragic passing...
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #29
bicker
Gruff

I've put off watching the episode this long, because I dreaded watching it. So very sad.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #30
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I've put off watching the episode this long, because I dreaded watching it. So very sad.
+1. I still haven't watched it. I vacillate between wanting to delete it or watch it, and end up doing nothing. I will go so far as to bring up the program info screen, and stare at it for a couple minutes. Then chicken out.

I read the tribute to Flower over at their web site. I was moved to tears. That's part of why I can't watch this eps yet. I'm not ready for the tears.

Stuart

PS: I was at the San Diego zoo two weeks ago, and saw my first live Meerkat exhibit. They have *two* meerkat exhibits there!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote