TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
OaklandRobb

Maybe back to TiVo

Hi all,

It has been quite awhile since I visited. I was a long time TiVo user, going back to the original with cable, and then switching from cable to DirecTV just to be able to have two tuners. Next upgrade was to 4 HD-TiVos, until MPEG2 led to those being retired in favor of 4 HR22's. Yes, I missed the old TiVo UI, but it really was not so bad or hard to switch. But, maybe I am less patient, but it seems that they are getting slower and slower. Changing channels takes several seconds. I wondered if the new software, with the new guide would help, but it had no impact on channel changing or bringing up various menus. Just a faster guide once you are in it.

So now I wonder if it is time to switch back to TiVo (I still have lifetime service that I purchased way back when with my first TiVos) or go with the HR24. I'm not really interested in the Whole House capability. So the questions are whether the new TiVo is faster that the HR22s, and how it compares in speed to the HR24. And I guess, even thoough this is the TiVo forum, whether it would be worth upgrading to the HR24, and if there will be costs associated with that.

Any other recommendations are welcome. I really would not be going back to the TiVo for the old UI. I have adapted and made my peace. I use a Harmony One remote, so even the old peanut would not be in the picture.

Thanks all,

Robb
OaklandRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Jerry_K
Don't know much

We are seriously considering going back to our SD DTiVo boxes.

15 TiVos of some type or the other over time

Tivoless now
Jerry_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Channel changing may not be any different. The THR22 UI is faster than the HR22, but the HR24 has a much faster CPU.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
OaklandRobb

Hi Steve,

Good to see that you are still here. When you say channel changing may not be any different, are you comparing the THR22 and HR24? I certainly hope that there would be a difference between HR22 and HR24. Yes? Is CPU speed the determining factor for channel changing speed?

Robb
Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I mean that channel changing speed is likely to be independent of the UI or the CPU - the tuner may have to switch polarities and LNBs, and there is the built-in delay that allows for "trick-play". I do find, curiously, that using a SWM module seems to improve channel changing performance.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
OaklandRobb

Finally getting a moment to reply. I already have an SWM with only one wire to each of my four receivers. Sorry to ask for clarification again, but are you saying that there will be no speed impact on upgrading receivers to either the new THR22 or the HR24? Is there a cost to upgrade receivers? Any suggestions for increasing either the channel changing speed or the speed to go to any of the menu items?

Robb
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You will find the THR22 to be "snappier" in responsiveness than the HR22. The HR24 is said to be quite fast, but I have never used one.

There is an initial cost to upgrade the boxes. How much depends on many variables, but it will be $199 or less. Some people have managed to wheedle a deal out of DirecTV. If you opt for the THR22, there will be a $5/mo TiVo fee added to your bill (just one per account, I think).
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
OaklandRobb

Thanks, Steve. $199 per box, or for all 4 of mine? Does the TiVo fee apply if you had TiVos before, and have lifetime DVR service? That still shows on my bill, and carries over from my very first TiVos with DirecTV. I know these things can vary by account, representative and negotiating skills, but it always helps to know the lay of the land before going in to battle.

Robb
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
$199 per box. That's the standard "lease upgrade" price to get a THR22. You may be able to negotiate a better deal. If you have the lifetime service, then you are exempt from the $5 TiVo fee.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
ncted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
You will find the THR22 to be "snappier" in responsiveness than the HR22. The HR24 is said to be quite fast, but I have never used one.

There is an initial cost to upgrade the boxes. How much depends on many variables, but it will be $199 or less. Some people have managed to wheedle a deal out of DirecTV. If you opt for the THR22, there will be a $5/mo TiVo fee added to your bill (just one per account, I think).
The HR24 speeds vary from unit to unit and software release to software release. I have a relatively fast one and a slow one. Doesn't stop the interface from requiring a lot of button presses to do simple tasks. Unless you want/need whole home DVR service, the THR22 might be a better choice if you like the Tivo interface.

-Ted
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
bpratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I mean that channel changing speed is likely to be independent of the UI or the CPU - the tuner may have to switch polarities and LNBs, and there is the built-in delay that allows for "trick-play". I do find, curiously, that using a SWM module seems to improve channel changing performance.
When D* switched from MPEG2 to MPEG4 it also increased channel change time. The DVR won't display a picture until it receives a full picture frame. Full frames are broadcast much more often in MPEG2 than they are in MPEG4.
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 42" LCD projection 720p
Mitsubishi 55" projection 1080i
bpratt is offline   Reply With Quote