Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
The _____ show(s) of all time

Yeah, yeah, I know there was (ages ago) a thread about The 100 Best TV Shows of All Time, and this is in some ways similar to that, but then again, well, no...

What I'm hoping to see here is your own opinions of the ______ show(s) of all times where you fill in the blank with {best}, {worst}, {favorites} or whatever you'd like.

We all know there are some shows that will live among the best loved of all times (M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Friends, Lost, Firefly for some, etc.) but there's also been some shows that you might have thought were the absolute worst of all time even as some others might have actually liked those shows or disliked the shows you enjoyed.

So, fill in the blank and list a few of the shows that might be among the best you think you ever saw, or the worst you were ever exposed to (or think were ever produced if you never watched them).
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
BradJW

Best and Worst -

Alias.

Season one was phenomenal TV.

Season 3 or 4 with Happy Fun Zombie Ball was NOT good TV. I couldn't even finish watching because it got so bad.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Best and Worst -

Alias.

Season one was phenomenal TV.

Season 3 or 4 with Happy Fun Zombie Ball was NOT good TV. I couldn't even finish watching because it got so bad.
Ooooh, good choice, and reminds me of one that could be on the list.

You make me think of Heroes since I could pretty much just change the show title but say the same basic things about that show...

It started off so well in the beginning of its first season, but sadly it fell apart at the end of that season and seemingly never recovered. The first several episodes (roughly all but the last 2 or 3 of the first season) were really, really good. Those last 2 or 3 seemed to show that the writers/network couldn't figure out how to get out of the box they had originally put themselves in without doing something incredibly stupid and so, well, they just went with stupid and lazy.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Lori
Social Defective

Best.

Buffy
Veronica Mars
Firefly
Angel
Sports Night

with honorable mention to:
The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica (reboot), The Mary Tyler Moore Show, ER, Friends, MASH, I Love Lucy, Hill Street Blues, The Dick Van Dyke Show, the Sopranos, All in the Family, Moonlighting, the Cosby Show and Family Ties.

Most mediocre show that is going to appear on a crap ton of 'best' lists: Seinfeld.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
BradJW

Yep. Loved season 1. I think I only watched 2 or 3 episodes of Season 2 of Heroes. Shame. That show had such promise.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
mwhip
All better

Best:

The Wire
Arrested Development

Worst:

The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
MikeMar
Go Pats

Best comedy that most people didn't watch or even knew existed and was so freaking awesome

Better Off Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Law & Order was definitely one of the _______ shows of all time.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
One of the best for me would have to be Deadwood. I'm still angry/upset that it never got the closure that was promised. Some might toss the show John From Cincinnati in as one of the all-time worst, but I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that JFC could be seen as a big part of the reason Deadwood remains unfinished.

Lori's choice of Buffy is a good one for an all-time best list. I was late to the party (started watching that during its last few seasons) but enjoyed it quite a bit and was blown away by the quality. That later led me to watching Firefly and that truly ranks up there for me.

Lori also listed Sports Night and that is another one that I could easily put on an all-time best list. Aaron Sorkin probably has a lot to do with that (but the cast was also very talented and seemed to all fit together incredibly well also, making it that much easier to enjoy). That later led me to the short-lived but still very good Studio 60.

WKRP in Cincinnati would be on my list of all-time best comedies, along with Married with Children. Both of those had some of the funniest TV programming I think I've ever encountered.

I'm working on what I might toss out as worst choices. Fear Factor would be up there, but I think the top of that list would find Jersey Shore somewhere close.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Jayjoans

I'm not sure if it was a 'best', but periodically my wife and I have fond memories of "Wiseguy". I'm horrified to find that Ken Wahl has since married one of those creepy Barbi twins.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Homicide (Life on the Streets).
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
steverm2

Best comedies:barney miller,taxi,wkrp in cincinnati,married with children,the simpsons,21/2 men b4 jake grew up and charlie,well,turned into ashton kucher
steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

HBO's "Rome".
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Best show that never got the respect it deserved...Boomtown.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Hmm... I have a list of "best shows..." but if I had to pick a single one, it would have to be one that had a significant run (3 seasons or more) with very little fall-off in quality throughout the entire run of the show.

I think all of my best shows fail one of these two rules, though. Buffy had a significant fall-off during seasons 6 and 7; Sports Night was only two short seasons, as was Better Off Ted. Alias was excellent the first season and a half, then quality fell through the floor. Firefly was only a half season long. Veronica Mars comes closest, but the quality fell off a little during season 3. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine started off a little weak, but quickly became a solid series the rest of the way.

If I drop the rule that it had to be on the air for 3 seasons, I'd probably go with Better Off Ted for comedy, and Firefly for drama, and Firefly for overall best show.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Oh, yeah, worst? I'd have to give that one to "Torchwood: Miracle Day." A US spinoff series of a BBC show that ended up being an utter abject failure, and a complete destruction of what had been a rather cool little UK series. Bonus (negative) points because it was the total antithesis of "Children of Earth," which was arguably the strongest that the Torchwood franchise had ever been.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Best show that never got the respect it deserved...Boomtown.
Not sure I agree with that. The first season was great, with the non-traditional storytelling method (Rashomon). But when it was renewed for S2, the network made them get rid of that "feature," and then it became clear that there wasn't much substance to the show outside of that storytelling gimmick. In S2, the show was pretty much just a standard law enforcement procedural.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Not sure I agree with that. The first season was great, with the non-traditional storytelling method (Rashomon). But when it was renewed for S2, the network made them get rid of that "feature," and then it became clear that there wasn't much substance to the show outside of that storytelling gimmick. In S2, the show was pretty much just a standard law enforcement procedural.
Right, made the show change its DNA. No respect for what made it great. It's not a "gimmick" if it's effective and compelling.

And I thought the characters were strong too. Great show.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Boston Legal - one of the best.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Best Comedy, MASH, honorable mention All in the Family
Best Drama, NYPD blue, honorable mention Blue Bloods
Best reality, The Amazing race, honorable mention survivor

Worst comedy, Seinfeld (kinda funny that my whole extended family disliked it)
Worst drama, CSI Miami
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I will start with best comedies because for some reason that's easier than dramas. My top comedies are:

Arrested Development
Party Down
Better Off Ted
Parks & Recreation

Currently my favorite would probably be Party Down because I watched it so recently. That show was hysterical and I've enjoyed watching it a second time. But it has fluctuated between all four shows, the first three have in common very abbreviated seasons.

I think picking a favorite drama is hard, because if it is successful, it went on for a long time, and quality probably declined. Dramas I watched in the past include Buffy and The X-Files, which had troubled later years.

Currently, the best drama on TV is Justified and if it maintains, it might be my choice for best drama ever.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
mm2margaret
Meagan

Best: Firefly

Worst: (it's a tie!!!) CSI Miami or Private Practice.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I would have trouble naming CSI Miami as the worst... because IMO it is *exactly* the kind of show that they designed it to be. It's a sillier, very camp, and very flashy version of the CSI franchise.

A show is bad, IMO, when it fails completely at what it sets out to be.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Like the reboot of Charlie's Angels? HAS to be a contender for worst series ever.

...and I really have trouble believing that we got through 20+ posts without someone saying Lost for Best Series ever!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

Best show: The Wire
Best season: The Wire Season 4

Best Current Show: Breaking Bad
Worst Current Show: Dan LeBatard Is Highly Questionable

Most Disappointing Show: Torchwood:Miracle Day

Most Surprisingly Good Show: Spartacus

Buffy and Angel were a couple of shows that I think very highly of that were somewhat marred by a bad season. Buffy, season 6 sucked and the Angel season with pregnant Cordelia was just plain awful.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #26
markp99
TakoKichi

Our Favs:

Arrested Development
Wonderfalls
Veronica mars
Joan of Arcadia
Pushing Daises
Party Down

Disturbing trend of cancellations for me!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
MikeMar
Go Pats

Ahhh Pushing Daises, such a great show!!!

-I thought it would work, came out at the right time where most people had HDTV at that point. Not like it came out in 2002.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Buffy, season 6 sucked
I thought season 6 was a masterpiece compared to season 7. Season 7 was a letdown for me from beginning to end. A horribly conceived big bad, a hammy performance from Nathan Fillion, a promise of a "scrappy gang" and a "back to Sunnydale High" that seemed to vanish by episode 5 or 6, the Slayerettes who ended up being mainly an army of cardboard cutouts instead of legitimate characters, a dour feeling over the entire season... the failures run from beginning to end that season.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I thought season 6 was a masterpiece compared to season 7. Season 7 was a letdown for me from beginning to end. A horribly conceived big bad, a hammy performance from Nathan Fillion, a promise of a "scrappy gang" and a "back to Sunnydale High" that seemed to vanish by episode 5 or 6, the Slayerettes who ended up being mainly an army of cardboard cutouts instead of legitimate characters, a dour feeling over the entire season... the failures run from beginning to end that season.
S6 Buffy was so depressed and miserable that she could have been a character on The Killing.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
S6 Buffy was so depressed and miserable that she could have been a character on The Killing.
Yeah, but at least a consistent character development. While it was a very dark season compared to what we saw before, the season was at least solid and consistent throughout.