TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
monkeydust

Does wireless make the interface less responsive?

I was wondering if a wired connection is faster than a wireless connection due to the discovery bar making internet call-outs. Anybody know if this is true?
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I was wondering if a wired connection is faster than a wireless connection due to the discovery bar making internet call-outs. Anybody know if this is true?
I've not seen a difference in my use at home with my wireless bridges or a TiVo wireless G adapter on a FiOS 35/35 connection. At my GFs house with her 1.25Mb/s DSL it is only slightly slower with her slow internet connection over a TiVo wireless G adapter(But I think that is really more dependent on whether another device is using the bandwidth at the same time the TiVo needs it. Since with that slow connection there is no bandwidth to spare.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
monkeydust

Ok, I thought that might be a possible cause. Just got my cablecard installed today and everything seems to be working ok. I have a wireless bridge on my S3 and the Tivo wireless adapter on my Elite. Transferring a program went pretty fast the other night (could pretty much play immediately). Tonight, it is really struggling. Nothing really going on right now on my wireless so not sure why it is barely moving.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Wired is always better even if it isn't faster. If your wireless is slowing down like you said, maybe there is a conflict with someone else's wireless for the same channel space. Try changing the channel setting in your router.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
monkeydust

Well, I've been having a lot of network flakiness with my TiVo wireless in the last few days so I'm going to try wired instead. I'll keep the wireless adapter for future use when I have no choice but to use it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
monkeydust

I've been on a wired connect for a week now. I've noticed the discovery bar loads immediately now. So, as has been said, if you can go wired, do it.