TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

HBO combining "True Blood" DVD and Blu-Ray discs in one package

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tru...-2-and-3/16806

Quote:
A few weeks ago we reported that on May 29th HBO will release True Blood - The Complete 4th Season on DVD and high-def Blu-ray Disc. But the Blu-ray set comes with a twist: it will have the Blu discs, AND the DVD discs, all in one package! It's all part of the studio's "HBO Select" program, where the only Blu-ray version they sell you includes the DVD version as well (along with digital copies via the UltraViolet process).
Quote:
On the same date, May 29th, the studio will also re-release the first three seasons in "HBO Select" packages, which puts high-def Blu-ray Discs, standard-format DVD discs, and UltraViolet digitial copies all in the same box (note that the digital copies must be redeemed within 2 years of the street date).

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
That's pretty cool. I wonder if that's the only way they're packaging Season 4, or if they'll have a DVD only package as well.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Nice to have the DVDs so you can rip it for your mobile devices. UV
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
That's pretty cool.
Why is that cool? If you want just the Blu-ray version, now you're being forced to pay for the DVD versions too. That seems pretty uncool to me.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Nice to have the DVDs so you can rip it for your mobile devices. UV
Why not rip the higher quality BR instead?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebockelman View Post
Lots of reasons. Perhaps there's no Blu-Ray player on his computer. Perhaps he wants a smaller file size. Perhaps he doesn't need a HD version on his mobile device(s).
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
sieglinde

I agree, what if you have only a DVD player not a Blu-ray. I wil watch it from Netflix anyway.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Lots of reasons. Perhaps there's no Blu-Ray player on his computer. Perhaps he wants a smaller file size. Perhaps he doesn't need a HD version on his mobile device(s).
#1 is an easy fix. (for most people, at least here on TCF)
#2 and 3 are remedied in your encode settings.

Better source material will more often than not give you a better result, even if you're going for a small file/low res target.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Why is that cool? If you want just the Blu-ray version, now you're being forced to pay for the DVD versions too. That seems pretty uncool to me.
It's the same retail price as previous seasons, so ostensibly you're not paying for the DVD and digital copies.

But Amazon is charging $10 more than other Blu-Ray seasons. I don't know if that's because it's a new release or if that's because of the DVD/digital copies.

To answer your question though, because I like getting the DVD and digital copy with the Blu-Ray. And though I probably won't buy this season set, I hope it carries over into other series I may have an interest in.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
It's the same retail price as previous seasons, so ostensibly you're not paying for the DVD and digital copies.
I'd rather they just reduced the price. It's not like the DVDs don't cost anything to produce.
Quote:
To answer your question though, because I like getting the DVD and digital copy with the Blu-Ray.
Hey, that's fine for you. But why force everyone to pay for the DVDs if they don't want them?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Peter000

Quote:
#1 is an easy fix. (for most people, at least here on TCF)
#2 and 3 are remedied in your encode settings.

Better source material will more often than not give you a better result, even if you're going for a small file/low res target.
Maybe he doesn't want to fix it. Maybe he's fine with a DVD ripped copy.

I think that, when it comes to video ripping, that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a copy ripped to DVD resolution from a DVD then from a BD especially on a portable device.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Barmat

Quote:
Because that's illegal. If you rip copyrighted material, even if it's from a legitimate purchase, you are breaking the law. When you buy a blu ray in a store or on line you are only purchasing the right to watch it on one device through approved hardware. That's the law.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I'd rather they just reduced the price. It's not like the DVDs don't cost anything to produce.
Hey, that's fine for you. But why force everyone to pay for the DVDs if they don't want them?
Because that's what I want. I don't particularly care about what you want.

Why should I have to buy the DVD set for $45 (amazon), and then digital copies for another $47 (itunes) when they're offering to sell them to me combined for $10 more? Who's being more selfish here, the guy who doesn't want to spend $90+ more or the guy who doesn't want to spend $10 more?

If you have a problem with it, take it up with HBO or vote with your pocketbook and don't buy the thing. Don't tell me I should sacrifice my needs for yours.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
Because that's illegal. If you rip copyrighted material, even if it's from a legitimate purchase, you are breaking the law. When you buy a blu ray in a store or on line you are only purchasing the right to watch it on one device through approved hardware. That's the law.
The question was in comparison to ripping DVD. How would a BR be different from a legal perspective?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Maybe he doesn't want to fix it. Maybe he's fine with a DVD ripped copy.

I think that, when it comes to video ripping, that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a copy ripped to DVD resolution from a DVD then from a BD especially on a portable device.
I disagree. Look how much better high quality movies look on a retina iPad than the older ones.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
Peter000

Quote:
It may be illegal, but in all practicality, you're not going to be arrested for ripping a Blu-Ray, unless you're making copies and redistributing it.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Barmat

Quote:
The question was in comparison to ripping DVD. How would a BR be different from a legal perspective?
A Blu Ray makes a perfect copy because of it's high bit rate. You are also breaking the copy right protection software built into the disk. Making a copy of a Blu Ray is a criminal act even if it's for personal use. Don't like it? Write your congressmen.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Peter000

Quote:
I disagree. Look how much better high quality movies look on a retina iPad than the older ones.
I don't have a retina iPad.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #19
Peter000

Quote:
Because a Blu is a perfect copy because of it's high bit rate.
Doesn't have anything to do with it. It's actually perfectly legal to make a "back up copy" of a purchased movie.

What's illegal is breaking the encryption that protects the DVD or Blu-Ray to make a back up copy.

And it's illegal to distribute copies of the movie.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
A Blu Ray makes a perfect copy because of it's high bit rate. You are also breaking the copy right protection software built into the disk. Making a copy of a Blu Ray is a criminal act even if it's for personal use. Don't like it? Write your congressmen.
The same law applies to DVD. My response was comparing to DVD.

And a BluRay is nowhere near perfect, but that's beside the point.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
And a BluRay is nowhere near perfect, but that's beside the point.
It's not that a Blu-ray is perfect, but that a copy of a Blu-ray is a perfect copy---that is, 100% as good as the original (disc). Same of course applies to DVDs.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I agree, what if you have only a DVD player not a Blu-ray.
Blu-Ray players are only like $80 now.

Quote:
Because that's illegal.
no1curr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I agree, what if you have only a DVD player not a Blu-ray.
Then buy the DVD.

They're not packaging the Blu-Rays with the DVDs, they're packaging the DVDs with the Blu-Rays.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UD7J76/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UD7J6W/
Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
Archangel00

Manufacturing costs for any disk (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray) are nothing compared to the price you pay for a title. The price that should be REQUIRED to include access to any version a title is available in. The only real cost impact over doubling the amount of disks is in the packaging and transportation costs, and even then we're talking about some pretty insignificant impact on the final product price. It's not like were talking about adding a second lead brick to a package that formerly contained only one.

The only thing more stupid than some of the comments being made about this is paying full price multiple times for the exact same thing content wise.

Last edited by Archangel00 : 04-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
This.

I have an iPad 1. Not to mention that, I've been pretty happy with the quality I get from Handbrake's ATV2 setting...even on my 50" 1080p Panny.

As far as legality goes, whatever happen to the Betamax decision?

Quote:
Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984),[1] also known as the "Betamax case", is a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which ruled that the making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of time shifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use. The Court also ruled that the manufacturers of home video recording devices, such as Betamax or other VCRs (referred to as VTRs in the case), cannot be liable for infringement. The case was a boon to the home video market as it created a legal safe haven for the technology, which also significantly benefited the entertainment industry through the sale of pre-recorded movies.

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
As far as legality goes, whatever happen to the Betamax decision?
Nothing, except...
Quote:
Doesn't have anything to do with it. It's actually perfectly legal to make a "back up copy" of a purchased movie.

What's illegal is breaking the encryption that protects the DVD or Blu-Ray to make a back up copy.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
sieglinde

Since I won't be buying these but just watching them. It makes no difference to me. Eventually Blu-Ray will replace DVD because most of the players will play both and I suspect soon, you will not be able to buy a player which only plays DVDs.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I think it's a smart business move. I only have a DVD player. I could certainly afford a bluray player, but I have no interest in getting one.

I've stopped buying discs since DVDs are on their way out, but I can't play blurays.

I'm probably not the only one.

(I'm sure plenty of you will want to argue my logic, but that's not the point. This is where I've been for years and it's not changing any time soon. Not even with the new plasma.)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
sieglinde

I want a combo that will play Blu-Rays, CDs and DVDs and have a slot for VHS tapes. I guess I need to buy one since they are available.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
I want a combo that will play Blu-Rays, CDs and DVDs and have a slot for VHS tapes.
I think you'd be better off buying a device to transfer your VHS tapes to DVD---that way they won't degrade every time you watch them.