Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #91
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
It must all depend on the software or hardware companie's NDA agreement. I too have been an a beta and an alpha test site for products for many years. There comes a time when we are told we may discuss the product publicly, but are still limited in WHAT we can say about the beta program and our partcipation in it. We have never been discouraged from discussing our own experience with others in the program as we're even given access to discussion groups where we can share info and solicit the help and assistance of other users.

So, it must all depend on the company you are testing with. And, in my case, it's not a small company!
I was pulling more from video game testing, your not allowed to talk to the person next to you since they want to see you solve the game problems on your own.

They were quite a big company in Seattle.

I think the big difference is if a company wants to see specifically how you interact with it vs. finding bugs. (ones play testing vs bug testing) I have a feeling TiVo beta test would be more bug oriented which require users to talk with each other.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #92
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Do they also allow you to talk about how your a tester in public forums? (how could you know that unless your a tester?) but thats awesome if your are!

@tivodesign posted that the spring update is not quite ready:

https://twitter.com/#!/tivodesign/st...40064629825538
I'm reading my magic crystal ball of course
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #93
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
In the Tivo Beta Testing they are encouraged to interact with each other, and even have their own forums to post in.
That sounds very much like the way the company I've tested with before works as well. Often you need independant confirmation from other users before you can really identify a bug of some sort.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #94
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I often file bugs with a company that does not let you see bugs from other people. It's very annoying.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #95
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
That sounds very much like the way the company I've tested with before works as well. Often you need independant confirmation from other users before you can really identify a bug of some sort.
I think it makes sense to have a forum for an easy way to monitor things.
All the users post a thread about what they are seeing and the overlords can pick and choose what is important enough to fix. All they have to do is look at the post counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #96
Xab

So this is the first time I've owned a Premiere, is the spring update going to bring a major version change like 20.2 did with lots of improvements? Or was that one some other kind of separate major update?
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #97
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post
So this is the first time I've owned a Premiere, is the spring update going to bring a major version change like 20.2 did with lots of improvements? Or was that one some other kind of separate major update?
Pretty much all indications are that there's going to be a new Netflix app, new Youtube app, Parental Controls for the HD menus, and beyond that just minor tweaks. I doubt it'll be a major version change up to v.21 or whatever.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #98
Xab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Pretty much all indications are that there's going to be a new Netflix app, new Youtube app, Parental Controls for the HD menus, and beyond that just minor tweaks. I doubt it'll be a major version change up to v.21 or whatever.
Are the version change updates generally billed as "Spring/Fall updates", or are they usually something different announced on their own?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #99
Drewster
Shooting blanks

They're usually not billed at all. 20.2 was the "January update" (I think), and now we have the "Spring update" (er, coming soon!). I have been wondering it was a strategic shift in how they handle updates, or just an ad-hoc reflection of a relatively rapid set of them.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #100
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The premier product was released in March 2010. It seems like TiVo then spent the next 18 months quietely developing the Vigin TiVo product. During that time we saw limited and minor software updates...

Since that release, TiVo has stepped up their development and R&D tempo in the consumer market. This will be the second major software update since the Virgin TiVo release.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #101
jedory

I anticipate that they will address at least some of the bugs with this update. Specifically the Hulu issues:

After commercials are played I get "problem with internet connection" message.
After commercials are played I get blank screen + static until I unplug then replug the HDMI cable.
After commercials are played i get no sound. Seems like commercials are the only thing that play half the time.

Also:

Hopefully Amazon will be usable, because right now its a joke. (No instant streaming.)
The Netflix interface is also a joke, but I do realize this is definitely going to get an update.
With as long as Tivo has been around you would think they would have all these issues ironed out... I would like to get rid of my Roku and just use one box already.

Countless other, random bugs.

One last note... make all screens HD, how long has this format been around and there are still standard def screens... pathetic.

Please excuse me for expecting more from Tivo.
jedory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #102
innocentfreak

I swear I read that TiVo was planning on 4 updates this year. I want to say it was around the time of the January update.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #103
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedory View Post
I anticipate that they will address at least some of the bugs with this update. Specifically the Hulu issues:

After commercials are played I get blank screen + static until I unplug then replug the HDMI cable.
After commercials are played i get no sound. Seems like commercials are the only thing that play half the time.

Also:

Hopefully Amazon will be usable, because right now its a joke. (No instant streaming.)
The Netflix interface is also a joke, but I do realize this is definitely going to get an update.
With as long as Tivo has been around you would think they would have all these issues ironed out... I would like to get rid of my Roku and just use one box already.

Countless other, random bugs.

One last note... make all screens HD, how long has this format been around and there are still standard def screens... pathetic.

Please excuse me for expecting more from Tivo.
Your excused, I could care less about all of the screens being in HD, the Settings screens it really doesnt matter. In all Honestly there is what, only 1 or 2 companies with a Full HD interface(Direct TV and Verizon) rolled out to all of there customers. and the Direct TV one is slow as hell
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #104
jedory

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Your excused, I could care less about all of the screens being in HD, the Settings screens it really doesnt matter. In all Honestly there is what, only 1 or 2 companies with a Full HD interface(Direct TV and Verizon) rolled out to all of there customers. and the Direct TV one is slow as hell
There is always the bug-fest that is Windows Media Center. All I really want is one box that will do DVR, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant (Prime)... one stop shop, minus all the bugs. Roku would be perfect if it did OTA and DVR.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #105
Xab

Quote:
There is always the bug-fest that is Windows Media Center. All I really want is one box that will do DVR, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant (Prime)... one stop shop, minus all the bugs. Roku would be perfect if it did OTA and DVR.
*shudder* I just got rid of my media center for a TiVo elite and for the first time in 2 years I'm not cussing at my DVR and missing recordings every week. It's crazy how TiVo just works compared to that mess
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #106
compnurd

Quote:
Even then, something is always going to have an issue. I cant think of any device or whatever that is supposed to do Multiple things and does them all perfectly... Maybe a Swiss Army knife
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #107
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Are you sure your Hulu issues aren't caused by something else? I don't have any of your listed issues with Hulu from any of my S4 boxes. Whether going through a receiver or straight to a TV.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #108
jedory

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are you sure your Hulu issues aren't caused by something else? I don't have any of your listed issues with Hulu from any of my S4 boxes. Whether going through a receiver or straight to a TV.
Straight to the Sony TV... I cannot run this through my Denon Receiver or I just get the digital static screens every time from Hulu on the Tivo... research suggests different handshake protocols between Denon and Sony. Sony and their proprietary nonsense. Flawless with my Roku though, HULU, Netflix, anything, even with the Denon Receiver in the middle.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #109
aaronwt
HD Addict

I use a Denon 3808 receiver and a Sony Sound Bar in two of my S4 setups.

But with the Denon I'm also running the S4 HDMI output through several other HDMI devices before going into the Denon.

I've never connected an S4 directly to the Denon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #110
jedory

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use a Denon 3808 receiver and a Sony Sound Bar in two of my S4 setups.

But with the Denon I'm also running the S4 HDMI through several other HDMI devices before going into the Denon.
My Denon is an AV receiver... so video goes through the Denon. I think the Tivo sees the Denon and the HDMI handshake gets confused between the Sony and the Denon. Tivo / Hulu, cant handle it and spits out the digital static screen. Tivo is the only device that has a problem with the Denon Sony combo (Just with Hulu for some reason).

But I get the mentioned bugs with just the Tivo -> Sony. Gave up on the Tivo->Denon->Sony already, it just doesnt work at all with Hulu. Now the issues are more random though... sometimes I will have to watch 10 commercials before the video I want to watch will actually play without error... Commercials always work for some reason. Perhaps because commercials are not protected content. May be DLNA issues... dont get me started on DLNA though, what a waist of an acronym.

Last edited by jedory : 05-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #111
rdodolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I would love to see that as well. This is something we could use.

That would be nice too. Could that be part of the new parental control for the HD menus.
rdodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #112
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
In the Tivo Beta Testing they are encouraged to interact with each other, and even have their own forums to post in.
Rule #1, you do not talk about Fight Club!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #113
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Rule #1, you do not talk about Fight Club!
What's rule #2?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #114
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
What's rule #2?
The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.
Third rule of Fight Club: someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.
Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight.
Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: no shirts, no shoes.
Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to.
And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #115
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
That would be nice too. Could that be part of the new parental control for the HD menus.
I doubt it. I think they would have mentioned user profiles in addition since that would potentially add addtional features.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #116
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

OK folks, Whats the date of the release for this new software?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #117
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.
Third rule of Fight Club: someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.
Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight.
Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: no shirts, no shoes.
Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to.
And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight
Great freaking movie
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #118
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
OK folks, Whats the date of the release for this new software?
I got it yesterday.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #119
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
I got it yesterday.
Really?? Pics please!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #120
PeteB

Update

Are we still stuck with the HD recordings folder under MyShows? Is anyone still recording non-HD these days? Get rid of it, or let us hide it (along with the deleted folder if we choose).
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote