TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #31
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It would be rare for a piece of hardware to be continually updated. At some point, updates would diminish and then eventually end.
It is expected if one is paying a fee for software updates and guide data (aka "Tivo Service"). If the box is EOLed, and will receive no more updates then the cost of service for it should be dropped substantially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama
i'm new to tivo (tomorrow), and this thread has me wondering...instead of investing in lifetime service, i'm thinking the money may be better invested in new equipment in a few years instead.
I still think lifetime is the way to go. After analyzing my ownership patterns over the last 12 years of Tivo ownership, in every case where I'd purchased a non-lifetime service, I would have been financially better off with lifetime.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
GoEagles

Does anyone know what this magical Spring Update will entail?

Last edited by GoEagles : 04-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman View Post
Exactly. IMO, Tivo stop updates to the S3's hoping the S3 owners would upgrade to Premiers, thereby generating new subscription fees.

FWIW, I have been a loyal Tivo Customer since Dec. 1999 when I bought an S1.
Unless you throw away your TiVo-HD with lifetime TiVo does not make out that much by your upgrade to new TP as someone will buy your old TiVo-HD and not purchase a new TP so TiVo will get one new customer only.
OH and what defines a loyal customer from a not so loyal customer if both people have had TiVos from Dec. of 1999. (or any date say from 2005 on).

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
It is expected if one is paying a fee for software updates and guide data (aka "Tivo Service"). If the box is EOLed, and will receive no more updates then the cost of service for it should be dropped substantially.

But is the monthly fee for service updates? Or is the monthly fee for guide data and the ability to use the TiVo software and features?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
TiVo's with Lifetime Service have a decent amount of resale value. Try to get a cheap TiVoHD on Craigslist or ebay and call in for the $99 lifetime promotion for the TiVoHD. You could probably pull that off easily if you don't want the new HD menus and the things the Premiere can do.
I'm pretty sure the way to do it is for the current owner, who's already been paying by the year or month for at least 3 years, to threaten to cancel, at which point TiVo makes an attempt to get some money out of them one last time. In that situation the owner has the leverage.

If you buy a new to you S2 or S3 and say "I'm going to cancel my not yet existing subscription if you don't offer me the $99 lifetime deal", they'll probably wish you and your boat anchor a nice day and hang up.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #36
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
the update is coming. but no one but tivo knows when. Within the next month is my guess. make sure you add your tsn's to the priority update page.
Actually, the priority page says that new software HAS been released...so it's done and being pushed already....now, who's the first TC user to get it?!!!?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #37
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Actually, the priority page says that new software HAS been released...so it's done and being pushed already....now, who's the first TC user to get it?!!!?
I wouldn't take the language on that page as a announcement...

Once the release is out, Margaret and Dave Zatz will be announcing the release from the roof tops...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
Jeff_DML

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
Does anyone know what this magical Spring Update will entail?
there is another thread on it but mainly a new netflix and youtube apps. I think parental controls in HD and should hopefully be majority of the UI in HD.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But is the monthly fee for service updates? Or is the monthly fee for guide data and the ability to use the TiVo software and features?
<beat dead horse>

I would consider software updates to be part of 'Tivo Service'. Hasn't someone with an old S3 or S2 or S1 paid enough already for continued use of the old EOL Tivo software?

If the fee is primarily for guide data, then I'd like the option to choose a different guide data source. I think I can find one that is cheaper.

</beat dead horse>
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #40
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Yeah, totally what he said!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #41
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
<beat dead horse>

I would consider software updates to be part of 'Tivo Service'. Hasn't someone with an old S3 or S2 or S1 paid enough already for continued use of the old EOL Tivo software?

If the fee is primarily for guide data, then I'd like the option to choose a different guide data source. I think I can find one that is cheaper.

</beat dead horse>
If someone is going to keep a device that long then they should have opted for Lifetime - dollars are recouped in 30 months. Why would TiVo want to compete for servces on their own hardware? That makes no sense to me as a shareholder...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #42
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If someone is going to keep a device that long then they should have opted for Lifetime - dollars are recouped in 30 months. Why would TiVo want to compete for servces on their own hardware? That makes no sense to me as a shareholder...
I have lifetime subs. My tivos have always lasted considerably longer than 30 months.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #43
bradleys
It'll be fine....

None of my TiVo's have ever failed me. I only retired the S2 because I only have HD TV's in the house now.

I NEVER pay service fees if I can avoid it. I probably would not own a TiVo if lifetime service was not available.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
L David Matheny

Quote:

I think it's reasonable to expect TiVo to fix any significant bugs that are found, even on older units. But as for feature upgrades ... well, not so much. They're not going to spend a lot to develop features for EOL units, even if those older units could run them. The most that Series 3 owners might expect (beyond bug fixes) would be some easy retrofitting of some features developed for Series 4 units. That would generate goodwill for TiVo at little cost.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #45
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I think it's reasonable to expect TiVo to fix any significant bugs that are found, even on older units. But as for feature upgrades ... well, not so much. They're not going to spend a lot to develop features for EOL units, even if those older units could run them. The most that Series 3 owners might expect (beyond bug fixes) would be some easy retrofitting of some features developed for Series 4 units. That would generate goodwill for TiVo at little cost.
Little cost, with new support and such I don't think it would be at little cost + I don't think the hardware is capable of most of the new stuff+ how do you make money on just goodwill, most TiVo users don't use much of what is now on their TiVos now, they just record and watch TV skipping the commercials.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #46
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
how do you make money on just goodwill,
By encouraging positive word-of-mouth and return customers?

I'm more likely to buy something if I know it will continue to be supported. If I think it won't continue to be supported, I'm potentially more likely to rent a device from the cableco.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #47
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
By encouraging positive word-of-mouth and return customers?

I'm more likely to buy something if I know it will continue to be supported. If I think it won't continue to be supported, I'm potentially more likely to rent a device from the cableco.
I'm more likely to buy the newer version in that scenario. That would be more likely than me using the cable company DVR and being disappointed with it.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #48
shaown

If Tivo dropped the prices on older service plans - and I was month to month - I would not upgrade their to their newer HW. A big part of the incentive of buying the new HW is access to the new SW for the the same monthly price I Was paying. For my remaining S3 boxes - I have them because they are LTed

For those that don't understand pricing - for most companies its NOT tied to cost - but tied to value. You want to charge the customer the amount they value the service - not the amount it costs to provide. As your costs drop, you can either recoup more margins, pay back your investment faster, or lower your prices to your customer IF you think that will drive more business / make you competitive. If S3 owners started unsubbing - and not replacing with Premieres, and Tivo felt all the upgraders had already upgraded - they would probably offer a deal (OH WAIT !!! THEY DID - the periodic $99 LT that goes around for older boxes)
-Shaown
3 S2DT, 1 Phillips S1, 1 HR10-250 HDTivo, 1 S1 DTivo, 3 S2 DTivos, 1 THD 1Tb
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
The most that Series 3 owners might expect (beyond bug fixes) would be some easy retrofitting of some features developed for Series 4 units. That would generate goodwill for TiVo at little cost.
Yet they won't even do that. They could easily allow remote delete feature which they added to the S4, it would be quite simple, and for me would allow me to watch and delete a remotely recorded shows on my other Tivos.

They write free clients for iphone/ipad/android phone/android tablet, but not the TivoHD/S3 ..... ?
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #50
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Yet they won't even do that. They could easily allow remote delete feature which they added to the S4, it would be quite simple, and for me would allow me to watch and delete a remotely recorded shows on my other Tivos.

They write free clients for iphone/ipad/android phone/android tablet, but not the TivoHD/S3 ..... ?
How is that a bug fix? And how do you know it would be quite simple???

Currently the Tablet app relies heavily the online tools to support the S3 models. It has very little direct connection to the TiVo itself. I disagree with you I consider your request significant and definately not a bug fix.

It isn't even the same code branch to go back and work on the S3 software... Why would I want them wasting time adding functionality to an EOL product?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #51
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm pretty sure the way to do it is for the current owner, who's already been paying by the year or month for at least 3 years, to threaten to cancel, at which point TiVo makes an attempt to get some money out of them one last time. In that situation the owner has the leverage.
You don't have to threaten to cancel. I recently deactivated a Tivo HD XL and the phone rep very politely wondered what I would do with it. When I said I wasn't sure but I might sell it on eBay he offered the $99 lifetime service to me. I never mentioned that I knew of that offer or cared about it - and didn't have to resort to threats.

I took the offer as boxes with lifetime sell for much more than $99 extra than boxes without.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #52
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2 View Post
You don't have to threaten to cancel...
If you get a good spin of the wheel at Customer Service Roulette.

If not...

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
the update is coming. but no one but tivo knows when. Within the next month is my guess. make sure you add your tsn's to the priority update page.
what version of the current software are you using on your unit?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #54
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Wonder if the rollout will happen before the first of next month?
Maybe we should start a new thread to track and find the first person who gets it?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #55
gweempose

All I can say is that I will be extremely disappointed in TiVo if they don't address the Kid Zone HDUI incompatibility. There is simply no excuse for it to have taken this long to get this working.
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #56
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
All I can say is that I will be extremely disappointed in TiVo if they don't address the Kid Zone HDUI incompatibility. There is simply no excuse for it to have taken this long to get this working.
No Kidzone for Spring Update....

@nguarracino I believe @tivodesign said parental options only in HDUI spring update and no kidzone at this time

TiVo Margret Schmidt ‏ @tivodesign
@brennokbob @nguarracino Correct.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #57
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
According to everything we have heard, Kid zone is gone... Maybe better said has been redesigned into parental controls.

Yes, it is supposed to be included in this release. I personally do not use parental controls on my devices - I have never found I needed technology to keep track and monitor my children... But I know serveral people who have been looking for this functionality.

Quote:
@tivodesign said parental options only in HDUI spring update and no kidzone at this time
That is not what I understood. - From my reading, parental controls is replacing Kidszone and is to be included in the Spring release. Kidzone is being replaced by these new parental controls.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Maybe we should start a new thread to track and find the first person who gets it?
If you started one now, you would have a million replies before it started. Plus, that would interfere with everyone wanting to be "first" and making a new thread when it actually happens.

Last edited by jrtroo : 04-23-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: OOPps, wrong quote.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
If you started one now, you would have a million replies before it started. Plus, that would interfere with everyone wanting to be "first" and making a new thread when it actually happens.

Yeah, let the guy who is forcing a connection every hour of the day get the glory of starting that thread...
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #60
Bulldawg9908

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
No Kidzone for Spring Update....

@nguarracino I believe @tivodesign said parental options only in HDUI spring update and no kidzone at this time

TiVo Margret Schmidt ‏ @tivodesign
@brennokbob @nguarracino Correct.
Do you mean Kidzone will be removed as a feature, or that HDUI will be enabled with parental controls and Kidzone will still be around on the SDUI?

I hope it's the latter. Kidzone makes it easy for my son to find his programs without all the clutter of our shows. Even with parental controls, he would still have to wade through a bunch of shows he's not allowed to watch.
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote