TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
David Knowles

Network too fast for Tivo?

Ever since I got a new Dell PC, whenever a program is transferring to the Tivo, the picture is jerky and everything runs slow.

I had to downgrade the NIC card from 1GBs to 10MBs. The programs now transfer fine, albeit slowly and of course the network on the PC is now slower.

I thought I could change the network speed on the port the Tivo is connected to in my router, but according to D-Link, I cannot do that.

I also tried the 100MBs setting, but that still causes jerkyness on the Tivo (although it's better)

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
bshrock

Check the Eithernet cable(s) that you are using, Running speeds above 100 Mbs you need CAT5e cables or better.

I don't think the TiVo runs Gigabit so you may just have a bad NIC card.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Elite/XL4 has a gigabit Ethernet port.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Elite/XL4 has a gigabit Ethernet port.
Hmm I did not know that time to upgrade my network.

Most likely David Knowles problem is the Ethernet cable if using the XL4 then.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post
Ever since I got a new Dell PC, whenever a program is transferring to the Tivo, the picture is jerky and everything runs slow.

I had to downgrade the NIC card from 1GBs to 10MBs. The programs now transfer fine, albeit slowly and of course the network on the PC is now slower.

I thought I could change the network speed on the port the Tivo is connected to in my router, but according to D-Link, I cannot do that.

I also tried the 100MBs setting, but that still causes jerkyness on the Tivo (although it's better)

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
You might be able to selectively throttle the TiVo's port using third-party router firmware like DD-WRT (if you have a router that can run it). You could also try putting some kind of bottleneck (slower link) in the TiVo's network path, like maybe a wireless bridge or powerline adapters or any link with appropriately limited bandwidth.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
David Knowles

Guess my router doesn't support that firmware. Oh well.
I could try the wireless option

I was speaking to a TiVo rep on another issue and asked him about this. He suggested I try the HDUI interface. Not sure what that would do.

One question what would the network cable have to do with this?
Shouldn't the TiVo know what to do with this if it can't support gigabit?

I've been discovering odd issues with my Premier. Sometimes I think I should have stayed with my s3...
David Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
hillyard

Put a smart switch between router and tivos. But you should not have problem I run a gigabit router to my tivos without problems.
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post
One question what would the network cable have to do with this?
Shouldn't the TiVo know what to do with this if it can't support gigabit
1. Some of the Cat-5 cables use only 2-pair (4 wires). Gigabit requires all 4-pair (8 wires).
2. If there is too high capacitance between wires or incorrect ordering of the pairs data will be lost resulting in much lower through put.

Some gigabit routers/switches will drop the speed if not all 4-pair are connected. I assume there are some devices that drop the speed if the data loss is too high. My Cisco small office (Linksys) switch does neither.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

This is a known problem that appears to have started with 20.2, although I personally have not observed it. To add to the OP's description: The "jerkiness" is observed during playback of (any) video while (any) video is transferring -- either the same video, or other, including live TV. The effect goes away when the transfers are done. The transferred videos themselves are not adversely affected. It is not a network problem. The working hypothesis is that the video transfers are taking up too much of the TiVos' CPU time for it to keep up with playback, so it drops frames. Throttling the transfer rate reduces the amount of CPU consumed by the transfer. But it's an ugly kludge of a non-solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote