TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
atomarchio

Streambaby without Tivo?

I am using Streambaby on my Tivo Premier and Series 3 with HP Home Media Server LX195

Does another piece of hardware exist that would steam my MP4s from my LX195 to another TV without a Tivo installed?

I've heard about ROKU but apparently it would not stream movies from my HP Home Media Server.

I am thinking of buying a 3rd Tivo box but it seems like a waste of money if all I want to do is stream movies my kids can watch in the basement.

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Roku should work, but I don't know the details. I do know that you'll need a different piece of software for that. Streambaby is very specific to TiVos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
atomarchio

Apparently you can't stream wireless with ROKU. There has to be direct USB connection. My setup is wireless so it would not work.

Was wondering if anyone here has experience with ROKU, or WD Live TV Hub that would have similar setup with equal/better performance to the Streambaby/Tivo application.

Hopefully, I can get some advice on what I should purchase.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
Apparently you can't stream wireless with ROKU.
Almost everything the Roku does is streaming over the network. You just have to get it to connect to a server on your own LAN. I googled "roku lan streaming" and came up with this:

http://roksbox.com/home/

What the Roku won't do is stream MPEG-2, which makes it kind of a pain to try and interface it with TiVos. But anyway...

Quote:
There has to be direct USB connection. My setup is wireless so it would not work.
A USB connection is not "direct"; it's for attaching a media drive. For a network connection, the medium (wired Ethernet or WiFi) shouldn't matter, as long as it's fast enough to keep up. In most cases, it will be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
atomarchio

So it would play the same mp4 files that use for streambaby? I wonder how it compares in terms of performance?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
dbtom

The obvious answer here is an XBox 360. You can use pretty much any device that supports DLNA, however, the homeserver is built to stream directly to the Xbox. It only cost $200 now and they often go on sale with a $50 gift card. The downside is that it requires a subscription to use Netflix and other video services (YouTube, Vudu, etc.). The other downside is that it plays games if you are trying to keep that away from the kids.
dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtom View Post
The obvious answer here is an XBox 360. You can use pretty much any device that supports DLNA, however, the homeserver is built to stream directly to the Xbox. It only cost $200 now and they often go on sale with a $50 gift card. The downside is that it requires a subscription to use Netflix and other video services (YouTube, Vudu, etc.). The other downside is that it plays games if you are trying to keep that away from the kids.
The XBOX360 has more features than I need. I would not want to buy a subscription in order to this.

Would ROKU or another standalone box work?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
jcthorne

I use a WDTV box to do exactly what you are asking. The Roku is not compatible with mp4 files containing ac35.1 audio. The WD box is. It will stream from a server, can play files on a local usb drive and can stream from netflix and others. The main reason I bought that model was that it was specificly compatible with the same files I push to Tivo. We use the WDTV box in our motorhome. When parked out behind our home, it can stream via wireless anything on my server, when traveleing we load up a portable drive and plug it in.

Oh, it also plays mpeg2 files from the tivo but cannot stream HD mpeg2 files due to network limitations.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
noseph

In the last week or so Roku added an official Plex Channel. Once Plex is installed on your media server you can now access your local media thru the Roku Plex Channel.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I use a WDTV box to do exactly what you are asking. The Roku is not compatible with mp4 files containing ac35.1 audio. The WD box is. It will stream from a server, can play files on a local usb drive and can stream from netflix and others. The main reason I bought that model was that it was specificly compatible with the same files I push to Tivo. We use the WDTV box in our motorhome. When parked out behind our home, it can stream via wireless anything on my server, when traveleing we load up a portable drive and plug it in.

Oh, it also plays mpeg2 files from the tivo but cannot stream HD mpeg2 files due to network limitations.

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to give the WDTV box a try to push the same MP4 files that I do with Tivo. I am going to be using wireless though. Have you tried wireless? Would that work?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
atomarchio

I tried the WDTV Live product purchased at Best Buy for $99. While it does work (sort of), I found the product to be very slow and the screen going black for several minutes at the beginning when playing was annoying.

Is there anything else out there better I could try?