TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Gowan

"Save BIG" when upgrading?

So, Comcast recently went to all-digital in my area even on the most basic tier of programming so it's come time to retire my old Series 2DT that I bought almost six years ago. It still works perfectly well except now it can only record one show at a time through the cable box.

As such, it's time to upgrade. Logged into the TiVo site and on my account page, there's a button, "View Upgrade Offers". Click it, it takes me to the "Upgrade Program" tab on the Sales page. Click the SHOP NOW button and...everything is the same price as if I'd never bought a TiVo or had an account.

It clearly knows who I am because it's offering me the MSD, but no discount or upgrade price for another TiVo. So, what's the deal? Are these links leftover from some previous promotion and they just haven't bothered to clean them up or am I just missing something?

Where are my BIG savings?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Call them and ask...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Len McRiddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Call them and ask...
That's crazy talk!!!
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
So, Comcast recently went to all-digital in my area even on the most basic tier of programming so it's come time to retire my old Series 2DT that I bought almost six years ago. It still works perfectly well except now it can only record one show at a time through the cable box.

As such, it's time to upgrade. Logged into the TiVo site and on my account page, there's a button, "View Upgrade Offers". Click it, it takes me to the "Upgrade Program" tab on the Sales page. Click the SHOP NOW button and...everything is the same price as if I'd never bought a TiVo or had an account.

It clearly knows who I am because it's offering me the MSD, but no discount or upgrade price for another TiVo. So, what's the deal? Are these links leftover from some previous promotion and they just haven't bothered to clean them up or am I just missing something?

What are their incentives to offer you a "great deal"?
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

They do have incentives for upgrading - at least they did when I upgraded an S2 to a Premier.

But if i remember correctly, it was just the same as the MSD discount - $100 off of lifetime / discounted monthly fee.

Best to call and find out...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Click the SHOP NOW button and...everything is the same price as if I'd never bought a TiVo or had an account.
That's because everyone gets to "Save BIG" when they buy a TiVo Premiere.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yep, same discount is still available...

Monthly service is cut from $14.99 to $12.99

Lifetime service is cut from $499.99 to $399.99

Seems the website is reflecting the discount apropriatly for me. Maybe $100 off isn't a "Big Enough" discount for the OP.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:

Before you cancel that S2 DT, you might want to see if threatening to cancel can get you the $99 lifetime offer on it, to increase it's resale value.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Gowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
What are their incentives to offer you a "great deal"?
tl;dr version: You misunderstood me and I misunderstood TiVo's idea of an upgrade discount.

Their incentive is to keep a valued customer, particularly at a time when their competition is so fierce. Also, I've been a TiVo user continuously since 2001 (Philips PTV 300, what what!) and have purchased four other TiVos in the intervening years as well as having participated in betas and surveys and plenty of referrals. Sometimes loyalty is worth something to corporations.

Be that as it may, you completely misunderstood me. I don't necessarily think I'm DUE something. However, when the website screams at me that I'm going to have big upgrade savings because I'm a previous customer, I think I'm within bounds to ask where those savings are.

Since I asked the question, others have pointed to the lowered monthly & lifetime subscription fees available when I purchase a new unit. I thought these prices were lowered because of the multiple unit discount and not the upgrade discount. Not exactly *my* idea of an upgrade discount (or a big one at that - $24 for monthly or $100 if I'm already spending $550+), but at least now it's clear.

When I think of an upgrade offer or program, I generally expect a discount to move from one older product to a newer product. If I buy a software upgrade, the upgrade cost is lower because of my previous purchase. If I'm offered an upgrade for a rental car or a plane ticket, I am being given a discount to a higher level of service based on either my previous experience with the company or generally an error on their part. So, I guess I was expecting the offer of an upgrade discount to be on the units themselves and not the service.

So, yeah, semantics, I guess.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Gowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Before you cancel that S2 DT, you might want to see if threatening to cancel can get you the $99 lifetime offer on it, to increase it's resale value.
I'm not really sure what the resale value of a S2DT is at this point. It's analog and standard definition. Is it worth any more than $100 to someone?

I have an old HUMAX single-tuner unit that's just been gathering dust for a while now, too. I had asked here when I retired it and pretty much the replies were it was scrap.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I'm not really sure what the resale value of a S2DT is at this point. It's analog and standard definition. Is it worth any more than $100 to someone?

I have an old HUMAX single-tuner unit that's just been gathering dust for a while now, too. I had asked here when I retired it and pretty much the replies were it was scrap.
I'd be willing to pay $100 per unit for PLS on the 2 S2 DTs I've already got, since I'm paying $120 a year in monthly on each, so I guess you'd need a buyer in my same situation, still on analog cable with no desire to go to digital, and neither the room nor the desire for a bigger screen than our current analog SD TVs.*

*(except during ACC basketball, then I'd like something larger, but still don't have the room for it.)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Is that one of the ones with Tivo Basic?

Heck, I DO have a Tivo that works with digital (actually two, but one is dead), but I'd still be willing to use an analog only one as a backup recorder/to deal with conflicts.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
emma157

i think contacting them directly is the best way.
emma157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Pick up the phone and make a call, when the nice person answers tell them you need to cancel and why. You will probably be put on hold for a minute or 2. When the next nice person answers, his name will be Monty Hall and will play Lets Make a Deal with you. Never take the curtain, your looking for a box and Monty doesnt give away anything for free and the house always wins.
If you dont like the deal, say never mind, call back in a few days and see if the new Monty has a better deal.
YMMV

Good Luck

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 04-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What Gowan was looking for was a discount on an upgrade as advertised on the front page of tivo.com - that would be from his current platform to a Premier.

Can he maybe get a lifetime service offer on his current model if he threatens to cancel service... Maybe, it depends on a couple of factors, but it is possible.

But if he wants to upgrade to a Premier - this is the deal and I have not seen anyone negotiate a better non advertised deal from TiVo on a new box. I am all ears of someone has seen it.

Yes the offer is the same as MSD, but if you are actually upgrading (adding a new one and cancelling the old one) you are not necessarily going to still have multiple devices...

So the deal on a new Premier is as clearly advertised:

Monthly service cut from $14.99 to $12.99

or

Lifetime service cut from $499.99 to $399.99

BIG Savings in this case would be in the eye of the beholder.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
Pick up the phone and make a call, when the nice person answers tell them you need to cancel and why. You will probably be put on hold for a minute or 2. When the next nice person answers, his name will be Monty Hall and will play Lets Make a Deal with you. Never take the curtain, your looking for a box and Monty doesnt give away anything for free and the house always wins.
If you dont like the deal, say never mind, call back in a few days and see if the new Monty has a better deal.
YMMV

Good Luck
Now that was a great summation of the situation... You cracked me up.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote