TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
mbhuff

American Idol - Top 4 Perform - 05/09/2012

Can someone explain how it even remotely possible that a 16 year old can sing that song as well as she did? She rendered the judges mostly speachless. I have no idea if she will or should win the whole thing, but for me that was the best performance of the year.
mbhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
nyny523
Oy

I know this will shock some people (hell, it shocked me), but my favorite performance tonight was Phillip's second song. It was absolutely spellbinding.

And it looks like Hollie might FINALLY be going home this week! Please oh please!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

The winner of the night for me is hands down Jessica. That performance of that Jennifer Holiday song was STUNNING. It is probably the vocal performance of the season! What really pissed me off is that the judges seemed to only begrudgingly give her a standing ovation. Watch the last two performances again. They were up before the music stopped for Joshua and were very enthusiastic and were working the crowd. They almost didn't stand up at all for the superior Jessica performance. When they did stand up they look very annoyed that they had to give someone besides Joshua the standing O treatment (isn't that something like 14 for Joshua now). None of them had a smile on their face.

Hollie and Phillip were probably tied for second in my book. Hollie sang both her songs well and was better than the judges made it seem. Unfortunately neither of Hollies songs were standouts. I didn't like Phillips first song much but his second, as Ninny stated, was the best thing he has done to date. I actually liked it.

Joshua was Joshua so he comes in fourth. Unfortunately he picked two songs that were both done very recently on The Voice and in my opinion both The Voice contestants were better (Chris Mann with You Raise Me Up and Juliet Simms with It's a Man's World).

I want Joshua to go home. That should be no surprise. Never in the few years that I have been watching has a contestant been that over-hyped or the judges that obviously biased. The judges may have sealed Hollie's fate and I will stand by my word last week that, if she goes home, I will not watch the remaining episodes. Although, I reserve the right to catch Jessica's performances on Youtube after the fact.

Last edited by Maui : 05-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know if I've cared less for any final four in recent history as these four.

I actually liked Phillip's first performance. I like the song a lot, so that helps, and he didn't seem to overdo it. It was actually quite good and I enjoyed it! His second one, not so much at all.

Joshua. Oh, Joshua. I don't think I've ever heard a worse version of "You Lift Me Up"! I've grown weary of this song in general, and especially because it's done on these competition (popularity contest ) shows way too much, but this was just really incredibly painful to listen to. And the whole rising stage thing was just cheesy - and not in any good way. Total fail to me.

His second song - I liked Juliet's version on The Voice a hundred million percent better. Typical Joshua - boring..boring..growl a bit..start screaming..contort..go into convulsions..scream some more..standing ovation. Blech.

And I'm getting really sick of the hammer Hollie crap. Granted, not her best performance, but it didn't rate a 'rake her over the coals' judgement, either. Especially when I knew they were going to be performing an oral colonoscopy on Joshua right after that.

First performance - 'seeing the early footage and giving you the encouragement to take things to another level for yourself, etc., etc., etc.' Second performance - 'In case we were too encouraging after your first performance, please let us slap the boogers out of you for a minute this time.'

If Hollie is going to wind up in the bottom two or three all the time, let it be on her own merit - you don't need to sway things that way. Contrasting their treatment of Hollie with their treatment of Joshua just makes me want to puke.

I still don't know how I feel about Jessica. She certainly has talent in boatloads, but she seems to sing almost nothing that came about AFTER she was born. Just seems kind of odd to me. And every once in a while I get a real 'diva' vibe off of her. Just kind of off-putting for me.

At this point it will be Hollie going home, which I won't be real happy about because she's the only one left that I really give a rat's behind about. And the way I feel tonight, I don't really have any interest in following the rest of the three to the conclusion.

Note to self - if you do watch again, don't eat Chunky Soup for dinner - I can't put my finger on what has me in such a mood for tonight's show, so let's try something else next time, huh?
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
And once again it almost seems as though I'm plagerizing Maui's comments. I truly go in and post before reading so I'm not influenced by others comments, then go back and read the rest.

My hats off to you, sir!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I thought the whole show was meh.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

It was kind of boring.

Phil's voice lacks range. Hollie lacks personality. Joshua lacks restraint. Jessica's voice has a weird, unpleasant tone and like Joshua, she over sings everything.

They butchered The Bangles, Foreigner, and Maroon 5.

Hollie will probably go home because she seems to have the smallest fanbase. She also over sang "I Cant Make You Love Me", a song that's supposed to be both tender and emotionally agonizing. She made it sound like a showy Celine Dion ballad performed in Las Vegas and sucked the sincerity out of it. I kind of hope she sticks around, but she probably won't.

I wouldn't pay to see any of these people live, but Phil seems to have the most potential for a career.

This has turned into a lame season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Jessica is a good mimic. If you watch her singing all these songs she sings them the exact same way the original artist did, from vocals right down to the hand movements. Last night she copied every JHud affectation even down to breaths and uh-uhs.

She has vast potential but copying other artist's versions is not what makes an artist- it's what makes a great karaoke singer. I get that that's how she learned how to sing as a kid watching Youtubes but it's time to develop her own style and quite copying everyone else.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Jessica is a good mimic. If you watch her singing all these songs she sings them the exact same way the original artist did, from vocals right down to the hand movements. Last night she copied every JHud affectation even down to breaths and uh-uhs.

She has vast potential but copying other artist's versions is not what makes an artist- it's what makes a great karaoke singer. I get that that's how she learned how to sing as a kid watching Youtubes but it's time to develop her own style and quite copying everyone else.
In her defense she is only 16. I still think she'll grow as an artist if she gets some knowledgeable people to help with the first CD.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I'm also tired of all the screeching. WHY MUST THEY SCREECH.

My blog:
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I'll have to amend my first post and say that Skylar has the most long-term career potential.

My blog:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
In her defense she is only 16. I still think she'll grow as an artist if she gets some knowledgeable people to help with the first CD.
Yes she is only 16, but I don't think she has "it" artistically. Jimmy said she was a great student. It's because she lacks ideas.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Hey, I just remembered that we get the pleasure tonight of seeing how Jennifer can sing a beautiful song like "I Can't Make You Love Me" with all the emotions it involves. To show us and the contestants that she has all the qualities and ability that that she criticizes these 16 and 18 year-olds for lacking.

<I'm sorry. I can't keep a straight face while typing that>

Right, it will probably be a synthesized dance track with no emotion and over-processed vocals.

Last edited by Maui : 05-10-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I missed the show last night but watched Phillip's videos on Rickey.org and thought Volcano was his best to date. That was absofrickenlutely stunning. I will watch the others when I get home.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
andyw715

I don't mind Philip, but think he looks like a complete dork singing without a guitar.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I don't mind Philip, but think he looks like a complete dork singing without a guitar.
You may think so, and I may think so, but all those screaming girls clearly do NOT think so!

He is a cutie...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Didn't watch yet but voted for holly (hometown girl)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523

You may think so, and I may think so, but all those screaming girls clearly do NOT think so!

He is a cutie...
I think he's cute but that has nothing to do with my vote (he's not THAT cute)! My undying love of Dave Matthews and the crazy weird similarity in not just vocals but in style of singing between them is why I love Phillip.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I can safely say I don't care who wins. I just don't want Joshua to win since the judges always seem to go gaga over him and I just don't see it. The other 3 can win and I won't really mind who wins it. Last person to win that I actually bought their music was David Cook.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Sadly, I think Holly goes tonight. I would MUCH prefer if it was one of the J's with the other one going next week, but that ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I don't know if I've cared less for any final four in recent history as these four.
ME TOO!!!

i've been trying to figure out why because I admit this is a pretty talented group but I'm finding I just don't care much.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Hollie might get some backlash voting again.
That'd make for an interesting evening!

I'm not invested in anyone but there is room on my iPod for some sweet soul Joshua if he grooves on it old school and wigs out on his way to church. I hope that's what Jimmy has in mind.
Minority opinion, I know
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Well, I have never bought any songs or cds from any of the past idol contestants and I do not see this group changing that streak. If I had to choose one I might buy Crystal Bowersox's cd.

If I had to judge the marketability of the top 5 and was guessing who would have the most success with CD sales post Idol I would say it would go in this order

1. Skylar
2. Phillip
3. Jessica
4. Hollie
5. Joshua
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Hollie might get some backlash voting again.
That'd make for an interesting evening!

I'm not invested in anyone but there is room on my iPod for some sweet soul Joshua if he grooves on it old school and wigs out on his way to church. I hope that's what Jimmy has in mind.
Minority opinion, I know
One which I share with you.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
SNJpage1

I cant figure out why the judges go wild over Joshua. Everything he does starts out great then he starts screeching. Phillip sounds the same all the time. Jessica has the best voice but I dont know if she is ready for a contract at her age. I keep hoping that Hollie would do better. He Adele song was great a few weeks back and I think she should have done more of her. Sklar is the only one who I see having a career in show business.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I cant figure out why the judges go wild over Joshua. Everything he does starts out great then he starts screeching. Phillip sounds the same all the time. Jessica has the best voice but I dont know if she is ready for a contract at her age. I keep hoping that Hollie would do better. He Adele song was great a few weeks back and I think she should have done more of her. Sklar is the only one who I see having a career in show business.
Seriously? After his version of Volcano you are still going to say that?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
kettledrum

I didn't know there was a film version of Rock of Ages coming out. I guess that's why they had the commercial for it in the middle of the show.....to tell people like me to come out form underneath my rock for Rock of Ages?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I'm also tired of all the screeching. WHY MUST THEY SCREECH.
+1!

Jessica has been one of my favorites all along but on this show she pulled a Joshua. Very annoying. I guess I just don't like those types of songs.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
+1!

Jessica has been one of my favorites all along but on this show she pulled a Joshua. Very annoying. I guess I just don't like those types of songs.
The difference in my opinion is Jessica employs it a choice. She can control it. We don't hear it on every single song.

I honestly think the screech that we hear from Joshua is a limitation in the strength of his voice in the upper registers.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

And I honestly think some people's ears react differently to various singers voices.
The singers that I most often see referred to as "screeching" are some of my favorites and I do not hear screeching at all. I hear wailing or a very high and impassioned chest voice but it is in key and on pitch.