TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
tedbolles

Which TV Converter Box

I have a Sony svr-2000 Digital Network Recorder and receive over the air signals with my TIVO. I want to buy a TV converter Box, but want one with an IR blaster so the Sony recorder can change the channels.

Does anyone know if any of the TV Converter boxes will do this?
tedbolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

Not yet, possibly never on the Series 1.

The issue is that there is no setup for Antenna with box, and the associated digital OTA guide data.

Now, you could possibly have some semblance of usage by choosing a box that sort of already has IR codes, and setting up for cable or satellite with box.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
RonDawg

At this point it is not known when, or even if, TiVo will provide channel-changing codes for the new digital OTA STBs. And if/when they do, they likely will not provide it for the Series 1's, as software development on these models has been pretty much halted.

Search the threads for Voom (the defunct satellite service), a few have said they were able to make a Voom's box work with existing TiVo's and allow you to pick up digital OTA signals.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Make sure you get a Voom box that was already working at the time Voom shut down, and that it can "scan for locals".

A box that wasn't already activated can't be used and can't scan for OTA signals.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

Supposedly the rca branded convertor boxes use the old RCA DSS codeset, but that doesn't help with channel line up though.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Puppy76

I just got my coupons today. Does anyone know what a good brand or model is? I'm thinking I'd go with Magnovox if anyone has those two models, just because at least Phyllips is a real brand. I've never even heard of most of these.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
garbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Supposedly the rca branded convertor boxes use the old RCA DSS codeset, but that doesn't help with channel line up though.
Did the RCA pan out? I have 2 coupons and a Phillips S1, is there any converter box my Phillips will control?
garbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

AFAIK, the Zenith and RCA ones are good.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
garbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Will a S1 Phillips control them? If so, what remote codes do I use?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Karl123

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbec View Post
Will a S1 Phillips control them? If so, what remote codes do I use?
I bought a Channel Master CM-7000 (Which has model D2A on it) and am happy with it.

I have cable and satellite, but thought I might get a better-quality picture off the air (for really important stuff like football and golf!). And that pretty much turned out to be the case.

I had a spare SD-H400 series 2 Tivo, which has Lifetime Basic that can be programmed for satellite or cable, but not both.

The way I recorded from the converter was by setting up the Tivo for satellite so I could use the S-video input and the satellite program guide.

To record, I scheduled the program on Tivo as if I was going to pick up that local channel from satellite. Then I made sure the converter had that channel tuned in. So when the Tivo started recording, it thought it was recording from the satellite but was actually recording from the converter.

I did try the IR blaster, selecting the Channel Master cable box, but it did not work.
Karl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
http://www.king-cart.com/18inch/prod...ct_match=exact

You could get the Zinwell Zat 970A box.

It has its own event timer, and will change channels to whatever channel you want to record.

Set your TiVo up, telling it you have satellite service where the box includes an OTA digital tuner. Go to "channels I receive" and uncheck everything but the OverTheAir channels.

You'll have to set the timers on both the TiVo and the Zat, but that could even be a safer method than the TiVo using an IR blaster to control a box. (We know that can sometimes fail.) The guide data will be there and the program descriptions will be in the Now Playing list. The TiVo will think it's controling some satellite box, but it's not doing anything but recording whatever's being fed to it.

It just so happens you've set the Zat to change to the channel you want the TiVo to record at that same time.

I'd also recommend using the Echostar DTVPal, since it also has an event timer feature, but right now those are having some problems with the clock and with the event timer being corrupted when the "Pal" gets new guide data from the TV stations.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
I've heard the RCA (Thompson) unit is terrible...at least going by user reviews of it.

The Magnivox one SEEMS to be really good from what I've used of it so far. I've heard a lot of audio complaints about the Zenith one.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
garbec

Updates

Any updates? You would think that TIVO would support at least one converter Box! If they supported one, I would go buy it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Any updates? You would think that TIVO would support at least one converter Box! If they supported one, I would go buy it.
The discussion has been going on for quite some time in this thread. Read it and smile.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
jrm01

Quote:
Actually they support quite a few as they explain right here on their web site.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/..._TiVo_DVR.html
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Puppy76

Awesome! So it's out of beta? I'll have to play with this soon and see if I can ditch cable. Hee hee. I offered them a chance to give me a slower speed internet service, but too bad for them
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
TiVo Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl123 View Post
I bought a Channel Master CM-7000 (Which has model D2A on it) and am happy with it.

I have cable and satellite, but thought I might get a better-quality picture off the air (for really important stuff like football and golf!). And that pretty much turned out to be the case.

I had a spare SD-H400 series 2 Tivo, which has Lifetime Basic that can be programmed for satellite or cable, but not both.

The way I recorded from the converter was by setting up the Tivo for satellite so I could use the S-video input and the satellite program guide.

To record, I scheduled the program on Tivo as if I was going to pick up that local channel from satellite. Then I made sure the converter had that channel tuned in. So when the Tivo started recording, it thought it was recording from the satellite but was actually recording from the converter.

I did try the IR blaster, selecting the Channel Master cable box, but it did not work.
You might want to try the codes for a "Pioneer cable box". I've heard that the CM7000 responds to those commands.
BTW you do NOT need to send the -2,-3 (.2, .3)... if you want ch 4.1, sending just a 4 will make the CM7000 go to the first sub-channel.
This is OK if all you need are the "major channels. In my area cable 4 is the same as OTA 4.1, cable 5 = OTA 5.1, etc. You can't tune (by IR) to a sub-channel.

I was going to try this concept an an old MediaCenter computer that did not have the "horsepower" for HDTV. I would get the down-rezzed wide-screen content throught the analog input of my old analog tuner.
BTW, in Seattle, the PBS HD channel is changing from 9.5 to 9.1 on Sept. 8th. So that will be yet another "HD" channel I will be able to receive down-scaled to SD (480i) which my ancient MCE2005 computer has no problems recording.
TiVo Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
garbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Actually they support quite a few as they explain right here on their web site.
According to the link, there is no support for Series 1 Tivos. All I need is for them to support 1 converter model and I will buy it.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
According to the link, there is no support for Series 1 Tivos. All I need is for them to support 1 converter model and I will buy it.
See my post above about the Zinwell Zat.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
garbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
See my post above about the Zinwell Zat.
Noted. However, who wants to set 2 devices for every recording?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
You can use a DTV pal or Pal plus and tell the Tivo that you are doing satlitte TV. The TV lineup won't be correct on all channels, but some will be. You won't be able to tune the dash channels with the Tivo. (i.e. 7-2 or 9.3)
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote