TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Idearat

Eureka "Smarter Carter" June 18, 2012

I really enjoyed this one, even though I wasn't happy with power hungry Andy and smarter Carter both being "evil" or at least amoral. Early in the episode I thought the coffee was the trigger for Carter's brain boost, but I incorrectly attributed it to the new roast he was given by Vincent.

The scene where Kevin tells Jack that his uncle is prejudiced was carried off especially well.
"Against white people?"
"No, against dumb people... No offense"

What really got my attention though was the preview for next week.

Spoiler:
They showed what looked like an evil, or at least angry, Holly. When Zane first revealed that someone was still in the simulation it seemed that it must be the Senator as we'd last seen her wandering in an empty Eureka. After that point we only saw Holly, and no mention of the senator. Perhaps this has been the Senator all along, and her pushing to become more "real" is her plan for escaping her banishment to the empty simulation.

Last edited by Idearat : 06-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
DouglasPHill

I'm really not liking Alison
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved Carter in this episode.

Did anyone catch that Dondre Whitfield was a guest (was that allison's brother?) I wonder if he is related to Salli Richardson-Whitfield. Brother? Husband? Husband playing brother would be kind of odd.

I think they played Dr. Parrish and his surprise at seeing Holly very well.

Fun interplay with Kevin and Jack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I wonder if he is related to Salli Richardson-Whitfield. Brother? Husband? Husband playing brother would be kind of odd.
Yep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dondre_Whitfield

At least they weren't playing brother/sister and then get married. (Dexter)
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I wasn't happy with power hungry Andy and smarter Carter both being "evil" or at least amoral.
I felt the same way. Why would Jack all of the sudden become amoral because he's smarter? Forget friendships, connections, etc? I rolled with it, but it just didn't seem right to me. The only reason I can figure was storytelling reasons. The writers needed a valid reason to dumb down Jack again.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I felt the same way. Why would Jack all of the sudden become amoral because he's smarter? Forget friendships, connections, etc? I rolled with it, but it just didn't seem right to me. The only reason I can figure was storytelling reasons. The writers needed a valid reason to dumb down Jack again.
Yeah. I'm glad they just didn't go with the standard "it will eventually kill you if we don't fix it". But then I thought ... "Really? You took a guy of average or lesser intelligence and made him a super genius. Not just smart by able to assimilate years of data in a day. And you are just going to throw that away???" I understand that he became "jerky" but if he were truly "logical" now, why would his new brain ever decide to give it up?

A better ending would have been Allison giving him the shot without his permission because she wanted her Carter back and not the super genius that would solve all the world's problems. It would also fit with her current crabbiness about everything.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Normally, a spouse trying to stop a person from improving would be demonized for holding them back. Imagine if Jack were to try and keep his wife dumb and happy.

But apparently being dumb, in this case, is a good thing.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post
But apparently being dumb, in this case, is a good thing.
Considering how often Jack has saved the world from the good people of Eureka, I'd certainly say this is such a case!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I'm really not liking Alison
I'm a charter member of that club...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Considering how often Jack has saved the world from the good people of Eureka, I'd certainly say this is such a case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I'm a charter member of that club...
I joined that club a couple seasons ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
TonyD79

I didn't see him as amoral or evil. Just fixated on knowledge. In a way, both he and Andy showed the traits of addiction. Andy's was blatant.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I give them props for mentioning Nathan Stark!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I didn't see him as amoral or evil. Just fixated on knowledge. In a way, both he and Andy showed the traits of addiction. Andy's was blatant.
I rewatched this episode last night during dinner. It was either this or Family Feud or the news. I went with Eureka.

I don't think Carter was evil, but he did seem a bit pushy when proving his theory was right. Of course, he had to put up with 5 years of "dumbing it down for Carter" so I totally get it. No one was believing him. Especially Alison and her brother), even Henry was doubtful, so he was going to prove her "prejudiced" brother that he could make the mark as well as they could.

Gosh, as for Alison, even though she explained it nicely to her brother, I feel like she wants Carter as a pet.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I don't think Carter was evil, but he did seem a bit pushy when proving his theory was right.
Maybe evil isn't the right word, but the way he turned on Andy was pretty...

Well, maybe evil IS the right word.

I didn't like at all the implication that increased intelligence equals decreased morality and empathy. And that point was made pretty strongly by the fact that Carter and Andy had their intelligence increased by completely unrelated means, yet it had the same effect.
Quote:
Gosh, as for Alison, even though she explained it nicely to her brother, I feel like she wants Carter as a pet.
It was amazing that they completely ignored the fact that over the course of the show it's been demonstrated over and over that dumb Carter ain't that dumb, and that much of his job is (as I said earlier) saving the world from the smart folk of Eureka.

He's been portrayed as a pretty amazing guy, and to defend him as "Sure, he's stupid, but if you don't like stupid people you're just prejudiced" misses the point by, like, light-years.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It was amazing that they completely ignored the fact that over the course of the show it's been demonstrated over and over that dumb Carter ain't that dumb, and that much of his job is (as I said earlier) saving the world from the smart folk of Eureka.
THIS!

I thought at one point that someone said something about this - maybe Carter or Henry. But it was very much glossed over and ignored. In season one at least it was almost every episode that he figured out by normal everyday logic what was wrong and maybe he didn't have the big words to say it, but he got it.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
kmccbf

I liked this episode and wasn't surprised at Carter going a little evil. His intelligence was caused by something changing his chemical balance so the change made sense to me.

Andy on the other hand did not. He was still a robot with specific programing and Carter would have had to change that as well when he upgraded the system, so his law enforcement program should have remained intact, even to the point of self sacrifice something we've seen from him in past shows.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
robojerk

I was wish Carter, with his new super intelligence, designed an alternative drug to what Kevin gave him to up his intelligence a little. Maybe having sipping it from time to time, become addicted to being smart.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
THIS!

I thought at one point that someone said something about this - maybe Carter or Henry. But it was very much glossed over and ignored. In season one at least it was almost every episode that he figured out by normal everyday logic what was wrong and maybe he didn't have the big words to say it, but he got it.
Carter made a snide remark about this in the previous episode to Allison. It seems they are all too smart for their own good though.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
TonyD79

[quote="Rob Helmerichs"]
Maybe evil isn't the right word, but the way he turned on Andy was pretty...

Well, maybe evil IS the right word.

I didn't like at all the implication that increased intelligence equals decreased morality and empathy. And that point was made pretty strongly by the fact that Carter and Andy had their intelligence increased by completely unrelated means, yet it had the same effect.
[\quote]
Andy was made faster, not smarter. It made him hungry. According to Maslow, survival first. Andy followed the hierarchy of needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs

Pretty sure it was mentioned. Heck, Allison said it.

He was fixated. Not amoral, not evil. He became singularly minded but worked to save Andy rather than do the logical thing, which was to shut him down.

As for Allison, why the hate? She just wanted the man she fell in love with back. Carter changed. So she is supposed to accept a stranger as her husband? In fact, she was the one who pointed out that he had strengths she did not and that she valued the real Carter.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
As for Allison, why the hate? She just wanted the man she fell in love with back. Carter changed. So she is supposed to accept a stranger as her husband? In fact, she was the one who pointed out that he had strengths she did not and that she valued the real Carter.
I think a lot of the Allison hate is carryover, she is not necessarily hated because of this one episode, but because she has been a raging bitch all season.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I think a lot of the Allison hate is carryover, she is not necessarily hated because of this one episode, but because she has been a raging bitch all season.
How about the entire series?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
kmccbf

What amazes me is that I like Wil Wheaton. He is sort of play the same role he did on STNG only without the goody-two-shoes image over it. Not a likable character, but he does work.

Allison and Jo have always been a little hard and cold to me. I'm more of a Holly person myself. Though I would like to have seen more of the woman that owned the laundry that Carter was dating for a while.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
Family

I don't think they were saying more intelligence = decreased morality or empathy. It was the sudden unnatural increase in that portion of the brain's activity which caused a shutdown in feeling emotion. Think of it in reverse. An emotional person can certainly be highly intelligent, but if you took a relatively unemotional person and suddenly made him extremely emotional; I believe that individual would behave stupidly.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
Linnemir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
What amazes me is that I like Wil Wheaton. He is sort of play the same role he did on STNG only without the goody-two-shoes image over it. Not a likable character, but he does work.

Allison and Jo have always been a little hard and cold to me. I'm more of a Holly person myself. Though I would like to have seen more of the woman that owned the laundry that Carter was dating for a while.
Boy, do I agree with both comments here! Wheaton is doing a great job with the character. I was only surprised that Zane and Fargo didn't think of asking for his help with the Holly project - isn't he supposed to be doing something with organic bio?? There's not a shred of doubt that he'd be jumping on board with pretty much anything to restore her to a body.

Allison is a intellectual snob. I wasn't fond of her to begin with, but when she didn't give a bloody blue darn about how the changed timeline affected anyone else, I lost all sympathy for her. I understand how she wanted a world where her autistic son was normal, but she didn't care how it screwed anyone else up as long as her little part of the world was good. Jo is so fixated on being stronger and tougher than the men that she comes off as hard and cold. I don't think she's necessarily cold, but so afraid of being hurt or not measuring up that she puts up a very cold wall to avoid that.

Carter has regularly proved that while he may not have the vocabulary or theory behind things, he can arrive at practical solutions for their problems. He said it to Sarah this week - something to the effect that he was a hands on guy, not a theory guy. While they made a fuss over his 'normal' IQ, I'd have to say that he was the smartest guy in town!
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Eddief66

Carter's IQ was brought up in one of the early episodes and while I don't remember what it was I do remember that it was higher than normal.
Eddief66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Linnemir

If memory serves, it was 111, which was also the name of the episode ... I could be wrong on that though.
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
If memory serves, it was 111, which was also the name of the episode ... I could be wrong on that though.
It was either that his was 112 and Zoey SAID her's was 111 or vice versa. I remember them being one number off. Zoey's was actually more than that but she said that to make dad feel good.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude

Wow. Just wow.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir

Allison is a intellectual snob. I wasn't fond of her to begin with, but when she didn't give a bloody blue darn about how the changed timeline affected anyone else, I lost all sympathy for her. I understand how she wanted a world where her autistic son was normal, but she didn't care how it screwed anyone else up as long as her little part of the world was good. Jo is so fixated on being stronger and tougher than the men that she comes off as hard and cold. I don't think she's necessarily cold, but so afraid of being hurt or not measuring up that she puts up a very cold wall to avoid that.
You watch the same show I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir
Carter has regularly proved that while he may not have the vocabulary or theory behind things, he can arrive at practical solutions for their problems. He said it to Sarah this week - something to the effect that he was a hands on guy, not a theory guy. While they made a fuss over his 'normal' IQ, I'd have to say that he was the smartest guy in town!
talk about being a snob. You havent gotten the message that it takes them all.

Oh, and Henry is the smartest man in town.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
robojerk

Allison's hatred towards Jo & Carter for something that might have happened if the right conditions were met, then having it carry over for a few episodes, was really annoying and painted her as a really ugly, or at least not ready to be back at work and should be seeing a shrink, and shouldn't be making big life decisions like getting married until those issues are resolved. It appears we're back to happy Allison now and hopefully she's not going to be fixated on what happened to her in the virtual world anymore.

I too think Allison has kind of been a snob, it was part of what kept Carter and her apart for so long.