TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
atomarchio

Buying 3rd Tivo Premiere or Tivo Whole Home DVR?

I've been reading about Tivo's new Whole Home DVR product coming out soon.

I am trying to decide between buying a 3rd Tivo in my house (would be 2 Premiere's and 1 S3) or waiting for the Whole Home DVR.

What is the difference betweeen these 2 options.

Is the Whole Home DVR basically a Tivo Premiere box? If you can transfer/stream shows, how would the regular Tivo Premiere differ?

Please help me clarify. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
socrplyr

There is no Whole Home DVR coming, or even rumors of one. In reality any Premiere can act as a whole home solution as it is. The only products that are coming are a transcoding box and an DVR-less box that would let you stream from the DVRs.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
There is no Whole Home DVR coming, or even rumors of one. In reality any Premiere can act as a whole home solution as it is. The only products that are coming are a transcoding box and an DVR-less box that would let you stream from the DVRs.
Would this box for streaming allow me to stream my home MP4 collection similar to the Streambaby app? If so, do you know when this new box will be available?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Quake97

The XL4 is really the whole home DVR, especially when the Preview comes out, or whatever they are going to call it.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post
The XL4 is really the whole home DVR, especially when the Preview comes out, or whatever they are going to call it.

Joe
Other than harddrive size and number of tuners, there shouldn't be any difference between the XL4 and the other Premieres. It will most likely not be called the Preview as that is the name of a different product that Tivo already produces.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Other than harddrive size and number of tuners, there shouldn't be any difference between the XL4 and the other Premieres. It will most likely not be called the Preview as that is the name of a different product that Tivo already produces.
Tivo produces the Preview it's not listed on their site. the Preview is the streaming box like a moxi mate for tivo.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
Tivo produces the Preview it's not listed on their site. the Preview is the streaming box like a moxi mate for tivo.
Did you read what I wrote?

For a little more correct information:
Tivo produces the Preview and sells it only to cable providers. It is not a streaming box like the moxi mate. It is an STB (which like pretty much all new cable company STBs can also stream from a DVR in the house). The box that Tivo will bring to retail will most likely not be called the Preview as it is not an STB (it does not have the ability tune all by itself, since it does not have a tuner). This is similar to the Premiere Q (the cable company name for the Premiere XL4), and those two are much closer in functionality.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2057
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Quake97

The Preview does have a tuner and cablecard slot.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post
The Preview does have a tuner and cablecard slot.

Joe
True, but we aren't discussing it.