TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

American Idol - Top 7 Perform Redux - 04/18/2012

Well, it is safe to say that unlike last year, when I was rooting for Casey and James, this year the girls are the ones I am rooting for.

Hour 1 - Where the girls totally smoked the Guys

Top 4 - The Girls (Judge's Standing ovations = 0)
Jessica - Damn the girl can sing.
Skylar - I think she has become my favorite performer and I am not even a country fan.
Hollie - Her best performance, even if I am tired of Adele songs in singing competitions
Elise - I love Elise and this performance was very strong.

Bottom 3 - The Guys (Judge's standing ovations = 2 (does not compute))
Colton - I liked it but not his best.
Phillip - I don't know the song at all and he seemed to perform it well but I was kind of bored with it.
Joshua - Meh

Hour 2 - Where The girls win again

Top 4 (Judge's Standing ovations = 0)
Jessica - I liked this one better than the first song. She came with some attitude.
Skylar - She is really fearless up there on stage. Great Performance
Hollie - Two very strong songs in one night! Good job Hollie
Elise - I am not sure what the judges saw but I really enjoyed her take on the song and loved the growls.

Bottom 3 (Judge's Standing ovations = 1)
Phillip - Perfect song choice but it almost seemed like the song got away from him at the end.
Joshua - Good performance but not standing ovation worthy
Colton - I thought this one was just bad

A few random thoughts

I found myself fast forwarding past the lovefest non-critiques of Joshua and Phillip.

Elise - needs an identity. I don't understand why she didn't follow up her best week singing Led Zepplin with more rock. I consider her "Whole Lotta Love" to be the highlight of the season and one that won't likely get topped.But she has not done any more rock since and just seems to be meandering through different genres

Joshua - Despite 2, in my opinion undeserved, standing ovations I just don't think he will last much longer. In fact I think the two standing ovations might go against him this week as people revolt against the praise.

Skylar - She is definitely a front-runner and a Top three performer. She could win it all as long as the teen girl votes don't dominate.

I think Joshua and Elise are locks for the bottom 3. The question is who will the unpredictable fans put there with them. Is it time for Phillip or Colton? I think they are the only 2 to not yet be in the bottom 3. My guess is that Joshua goes home and the judges lament that they have no more saves.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
nyny523
Oy

Skylar was my favorite tonight.

I actually enjoyed Phillip, too.

I still like Joshua.

Everyone else was just ok.

Except Hollie. Who was out of tune AGAIN. On both songs. Does NO ONE else hear this??? It just makes my ears bleed week after week.

Oh, and thanks Colton for ruining a great E,W,& F song. It really sucked.

Edited to add: I think Elise is gone this week.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

To me, Skylar reminds me of a talent show kid trying to do country. She gives it her all, has some talent for sure, but she just does not strike me as anywhere near ready to become a recording artist. I really don't care for her at all, and it goes beyond just me not liking country. (ETA: I also think that she continually sounds more like she's shouting than singing. There is no good tone to her singing... it's in tune, but frankly doesn't resemble singing in the least to me.)

Philip... also so do not like him at all. He's a second-rate Dave Matthews sound-alike.

I thought that Hollie came back extremely strong this week on her first song. I was cringing when she chose Adele for her first song, but she nailed it IMO. Her second song started out considerably weaker, but the ending was also extremely strong. She also seemed to shed a bit of her pageant-bot issues as well. She chose a good week to finally hit the gas pedal.

I still like Elise, but she's coasted since her Led Zeppelin performance, and she's clearly in danger this week. It's almost like she doesn't care at all about this competition. Her first song was solid, but completely non-charismatic. Her second song was totally not her, and it was a little oddly performed.

Jessica's issue is that she's almost a little too good, a little too polished. It's the flaws that make some of the other performers more interesting than her. Her brush with danger last week will get some pity votes, enough to bump her out of danger this week... but I think before long she's going to be headed for the bottom vote-getters again.

I'm honestly not sure what to think about Colton. There's something intriguing about him, but I'm literally not sure if I like his performances or not. I can tell you that I did not like "September," but I *think* I liked his take on "Bad Romance."

I do not care for Joshua. I think he over-sings everything. He is like a thin little layer of cake with about 10 pounds of frosting on it.

Last edited by LoadStar : 04-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I do not care for Joshua. I think he over-sings everything. He is like a thin little layer of cake with about 10 pounds of frosting on it.
Don't make that comparison because that would be my favorite type of cake!!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
ROUND 1

Hollie - Rolling in the Deep - Adelle - Very, Very Good!
Colton - Bad Romance - Lady Gaga - Just OK for me, nothing more.
Elise - No One - Alicia Keyes - I liked this a lot. She does have a way, though, of kind of stuttering some notes when I think it would be better smooth - not all the time, but I think she overdoes that.
Phillip - U Got It Bad - Usher - Don't like Usher, don't really care for Phillip - put it together and the result is, eh - not so bad really.
Jessica - Fallen - Alicia Keyes - Pretty decent.
Skylar - Born This Way (Country Version) - Lady Gaga - Love me some Skylar! And I really liked this!
Joshua - I Believe - Fantasia - He loses me when he gets the vein-bursting, growl thing going. I just will never be a fan of Joshua.

ROUND 2

Hollie - Son of a Preacher Man - Bold and strong, little one. It was pretty decent.
Colton - September - Earth Wind & Fire - Ugh - didn't really care for this version at all. I think we missed the Jimmy clip where he repeatedly tried to tell Colton not to do this!
Elise - Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye - This was a fail for me. Not epic, but a fail none the less. I agree that it was not really a good song for her to sing.
Phillip - In the Midnight Hour - Wilson Picket - Phillip just doesn't click with me I guess.
Jessica - Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding - Didn't care for this one much.
Skylar - Heard it Through the Grape Vine - She didn't ruin it, though I have never liked that song.
Joshua - A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke - The best thing I can say about this is it DIDN'T make my ears bleed - though I think it was close.

It's very obvious that I don't know anything about the music industry; I only know what I like. So someone tell me - is Joshua REALLY as praise-worthy as the the judges are heaping on him? To beg people to not let him go tells me there may be hope that I'm not alone in my not really liking him and he may go, but is he that spectacular?????

If I had to hazard a guess at the bottom three, based on tonight, I would say Joshua, Jessica and Elise. Not that I think Jessica and Elise are 'going home' worthy, but America doesn't seem to embrace Elise and I don't know if the Jessica scare will help her, or if people will think she's safe now because of that and still not cast THEIR votes for her.

Please, let Joshua go home.

And I guess Ryan confirmed it at the end there - just one going home Thursday.
JLucPicard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Don't make that comparison because that would be my favorite type of cake!!
Glad my upstairs neighbors are asleep because I just laughed out loud at that! At least I HOPE they're still asleep!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

So 2 people depart tomorrow?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Elise overuses that growly thing and instead of coming across as emotional, it's sometimes quite annoying. Randy had a good point -- she was forcing "Let's Get It On", which made it more like forced intercourse than seduction.

Was J-Lo wearing a Star Trek uniform?

Who I would pay to see: Skylar, maybe Colton, possibly Phil
Who I would vote for: Skylar, Hollie

I think Jessica, Joshua, and Elise are in the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jesda : 04-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
So 2 people depart tomorrow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
And I guess Ryan confirmed it at the end there - just one going home Thursday.
Yup, I did just quote myself.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
2004raptor

Hollie's first song was perfect. Nothing out of tune IMO. Even though Adele songs are getting kinda tired, she did great. Her second song, was good but not as good as her first to me. Still strong.

Phillip - Still like him and hope he stays but I only thought he was so-so. Not great but not bad.

Surprisingly Joshua wasn't horrible. Still not my kind of singer so he'll never get my vote but he didn't overdo the first song so it was tolerable. The second song was a little more annoying.

Elise - She was OK but as others have said her LZ performance was her peak.

Jessica - I can't remember the first song but her voice on the second song sounded terrible, just terrible.

Colton - Dude's hair is enough to get him voted off. He was barely OK for me tonight. Nothing very good at all. I'm just not a fan.

Skylar - She's country but she seems to do that over exaggerated, fake twangy country voice sometimes. Some people like it some don't. I don't think it works at all and I like some country music.

Bottom 3 for me: Elise, Joshua, Jessica. Elise will walk.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I know the judges praise the heck out of her, but am I the only one who thinks Jessica oversings everything? She'll be safe because of last week, but may still make bottom three. I also fail to see the love for Joshua and his tight voice.

Some of you disagree, but I still think Phillip is the best entertainer of the group (not necessarily the best singer). Reminds me a lot of Casey, who I thought should have gone further last year.

I am forced to hope Hollie does well as the only Brit in the group, but I can't see her getting beyond 4th or 5th at best.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Some of you disagree, but I still think Phillip is the best entertainer of the group (not necessarily the best singer). Reminds me a lot of Casey, who I thought should have gone further last year.
I have said it since the beginning, Phil is very good at what he does. He reminds me more of Scotty than Casey last year in that respect. They both do their style very well but neither of them have much versatility. If you don't really like that style then there is very little chance that they will ever surprise you and win you over.

Of course Scotty rode that horse and the teen female votes to get him to the winners circle last year so you can't rule out that possibility for Phillip.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
tiams

Jessica is an amazing singer, but she will not last much longer in this competition. To me it's like NBA vs. college basketball. I love college b-ball. It's exciting and I root for the school I attended. But I hate watching NBA games. The players are extraordinary but I just don't care.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not understanding the theme for the second half of the show at all. They said the theme was 'Soul Train,' then six out of the seven contestants did songs from the '60s, long before Soul Train was even on the air. Was the theme really "classic R&B songs" and they just threw the Soul Train stuff in for no reason?
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I'm not understanding the theme for the second half of the show at all. They said the theme was 'Soul Train,' then six out of the seven contestants did songs from the '60s, long before Soul Train was even on the air. Was the theme really "classic R&B songs" and they just threw the Soul Train stuff in for no reason?
I assume "Soul Train" was a reference to Don Cornelius, who also died not too long ago, and may not have been the actual "theme".
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I think Ryan said at one point the theme was "Now and Then" with Now being hits from 2000+ and not sure on what they classified as Then.

I will give my breakdown when I get home, super busy today at work. blah.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
tiams

Doing a Soul Train tribute on the day Dick Clark died was NOT classy.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
In their defense, they had that all set last week. They know at least a week, more than likely more than a week, in advance what the theme will be. They could have tried to alter it a bit though. <shrug>
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
In their defense, they had that all set last week. They know at least a week, more than likely more than a week, in advance what the theme will be. They could have tried to alter it a bit though. <shrug>
Yeah, I know they plan the theme well in advance. They could have kept the theme (Then and Now) and left out the Soul Train part. It was tasteless.

At least Ryan mentioned the passing of his good friend.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
tiams

BTW, it would have also been in poor taste for some show to have an American Bandstand tribute on the day Don Cornelius died.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
tem

why would either be in poor taste ? I don't get it. It's not like they were deadly rivals or something.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
why would either be in poor taste ? I don't get it. It's not like they were deadly rivals or something.
Would you send a sympathy card to Dick Clark's family in a Soul Train envelope?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
2004raptor

Did Dick Clark own some/all of AI??? I can't see how it was in bad taste.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
BTW, it would have also been in poor taste for some show to have an American Bandstand tribute on the day Don Cornelius died.
I'm sure the tribute was planned, the death wasn't.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Isn't AI a Dick Clark production or am I thinking of SYTYCD?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I'm sure the tribute was planned, the death wasn't.

They didn't have to go through with the tribute.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
In their defense, they had that all set last week. They know at least a week, more than likely more than a week, in advance what the theme will be.
I agree with you, photoshopgrl, plus they had brought in Don Cornelius' son for the show.

"We loved your dad, and thanks for coming, but since Dick Clark died (JUST TODAY!), we won't be doing what we had planned to re: Soul Train". Now that would NOT have been classy!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Not in bad taste IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Not in bad taste IMO.
^^^ This.. AI had no foreknowledge that Dick Clark was going to die yesterday.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Absolutely NOT in bad taste. DC himself would have approved - and it would have been a major undertaking to remove it from the show anyway!