TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
darwin-t

Watching recorded shows from computer?

I'm thinking about giving up my DirecTv. I have a DTV HD DVR - HD22-100.

I would like to copy my recorded shows - by removing the drive if necessary - and be able to watch the shows later with my computer. Is this possible.

My second choice would be to just watch them on the DVR after my service is canceled. Would I be able to do that?

I assume they will want the HD DVRs back, but I got only one from them. The other I bought on Ebay. I bought the other one from them. I'm not inclined to give them back stuff that I paid for.

Thanks.
darwin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin-t View Post
I'm thinking about giving up my DirecTv. I have a DTV HD DVR - HD22-100.

I would like to copy my recorded shows - by removing the drive if necessary - and be able to watch the shows later with my computer. Is this possible.

My second choice would be to just watch them on the DVR after my service is canceled. Would I be able to do that?

I assume they will want the HD DVRs back, but I got only one from them. The other I bought on Ebay. I bought the other one from them. I'm not inclined to give them back stuff that I paid for.

Thanks.
Regardless of where you bought them you will likely find they are under a lease. They will require them back if you terminate service. If you don't return them, the fee is $250 each box.

This may seem unfair until you realize that DirecTV partially subsidizes the cost of the original purchase. That is, you pay less than full price for the unit because you commit to a 2-year period of subscription. If you don't fulfill your end of this contract - by not staying for 2 years or not returning the box in good working order, then they want the full amount for the units - which is another $250.

Some people will say that opening the box and tampering with it in any way will be a violation and subject you to the $250 charge. In fact, your lease agreement says something like this. In practice I don't know how strictly this is enforced. But, be warned if you break the warranty seals to clone the drive you might be inviting trouble.

Had you paid the full market price originally then you could have made it an owned unit and you'd be free to do as you wish with it. You would have had to sort that out with them beforehand. Buying through eBay or any other seller does not avoid these issues.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
lpwcomp

It would be a total waste of time to remove the drive from either of the THR-22s (or indeed any TiVo) and attach it to your computer. The data is encrypted and cannot be decrypted. It is only directly viewable on the TiVo on which it was created.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
MacQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It would be a total waste of time to remove the drive from either of the THR-22s (or indeed any TiVo) and attach it to your computer. The data is encrypted and cannot be decrypted. It is only directly viewable on the TiVo on which it was created.
He's not asking about the THR22 - he's asking about the HR22.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ2 View Post
He's not asking about the THR22 - he's asking about the HR22.
Doesn't matter. Still as waste of time to remove the drive from the DVR and connect it to his computer. He may be able to copy recordings to his computer using Nomad but the DVR would have to be active.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
darwin-t

Thanks for all of the help. Now I know where I stand and I won't do something stupid.

I like the old TiVos. Much simpler to work with.
darwin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
megancheung

If you want to watch TV, set one up so you can see it, Turn it on & watch it.. I am doing that right now. My main TV flips between the computer and STB HDMI inputs & the second TV is adjacent & playing right now. If you want the same screen for bot the computer and the STB you can do that.
megancheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
On the HR22, you cannot watch recordings without active service.