TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Brahmabull

Question Can I Record one show and watch another at the same time with Toshiba SD-H400?

I was wondering if there is a way to Record one show while watching another with the Toshiba SD-H400 with basic service? Thanks.
Brahmabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you split the input, 1 to Tivo, other to TV, you can. Otherwise its a single tuner and you can record 1 and watch a recorded.show at the same time.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Karl Childers

Just keep in mind that in the event your cable provider goes to a complete digital lineup, you will lose this function unless your TV has a digital tuner.
Karl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
satmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Childers View Post
Just keep in mind that in the event your cable provider goes to a complete digital lineup, you will lose this function unless your TV has a digital tuner.
It only has 1 analog Tuner so it wont work with digital cable unless you add a convertor box.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Brahmabull

I'm sorry guys but I guess I'm not understanding. I use a rooftop antenna to get my tv as I do not have cable here where I live. I thought that analog was no more? All my channels are digital and I have a LCD HD tv. Will splitting the input still work? Thanks everyone for your replys so far. I'm a Tivo Newbie and this is all pretty interesting to me.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

It depends on what you mean by record a show while watching another show.

If you mean record a show and watch a recorded show, then yes, you can do this.

If you mean record a show and watch live TV, then no. But keep reading.

If you are receiving your signal via antenna, then you will need a digital to analog (DTA) converter box in order for the TiVo to receive any signal. As 95% of all broadcast channels have gone digital, this is the only way to go. The DTA box acts like a cable box, but for antenna signals. You have to redo guided setup to use the DTA. When you tell the TiVo that you use the antenna to receive your signal, it will ask you if you use a converter box. It will then ask you for the manufacturer of the DTA box, so it can use the right IR signals to control it. The DTA boxes are available at WalMart and Target and other places, as well as the internet. My favorite is the APEX DT502, because it has S-video outputs, which is better that the composite output (yellow).

If you split your antenna feed to go to your TV and to your DTA converter box, then you can watch something live while recording something else. You would essentially have two tuners, so you can do two things at one time.

And to answer your question about using it in Tivo Basic. Yes, you can use the DTA converter boxes with the TiVos that do TiVo Basic (the Pioneers and the Toshibas).

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Brahmabull

Wow Robomeister, thanks alot for all the info. I have 2 of those DTV boxes because we needed them for our tvs before we got our LCD HD flat panel. The ones we have are the Zenith ones which suck because they only have the composite output attachments but they were basicly free so I guess I'll just use it and see how it looks. Actually, someone told me that I could just use my HD LCD flat panel tv instead of the DTV box because the tv already has a digital tuner already in it. Is this true?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

All new TVs sold these days should have a digital TV tuner. I suggest you hook up your antenna feed directly to your TV and have the TV search for channels. You might be pleasantly surprised.

After that, use your Zenith with your Toshiba SD-H400 and enjoy! (You'll need to split your antenna feed. And your IR blaster, if you can find it.)

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Brahmabull

I do have my antenna hooked up directly to my LCD without a DTV box. What I mean is, since my tv has a digital tuner, can't I hook up my Tivo directly to my LCD tv instead of going through a DTV box?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Well, if you think about it, you wouldn't be able to use your TV as a TV. The TiVo needs to control the external tuner exclusively, so you would have to have the TV on all the time and only be on the antenna output. And you are back to your original situation, only being able to watch one thing at a time. Actually, it is even more limited. If the TiVo needed to record something, it would need to be on the tuner, and you would most likely connect your Toshiba to your TV with the component cables (RBG) and analog audio (Red/white). So you couldn't watch something else while it is recording.

So, no, you can't hook it up that way. The easiest way is to split the antenna feed, one end going to your TV antenna input, the other end going to your Zenith digital to analog converter box. Connect the Zenith to the ToshiVo and go.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. (Actually, it was meant to be confusing.)
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Bringing this one back to life.

Can anyone tell me if you will still get the guide data correctly? I'm thinking of going OTA only and I have 2 of the SD-H400's Basic. I would need 2 DTA boxes. My sons TV has an NTSC tuner so his will only be able to watch one channel at a time but my daughters TV has an ATSC tuner so I can split the signal and make it a dual tuner.

Am I missing something?
Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Bringing this one back to life.

Can anyone tell me if you will still get the guide data correctly? I'm thinking of going OTA only and I have 2 of the SD-H400's Basic. I would need 2 DTA boxes. My sons TV has an NTSC tuner so his will only be able to watch one channel at a time but my daughters TV has an ATSC tuner so I can split the signal and make it a dual tuner.

Am I missing something?
Robb
Yes you would get the correct guide data. You would need 2 DTA boxes. One for each TIVO. If you get a third DTA box for the NTSC TV, you can split the signal and watch live TV while the TIVO is recording.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Thanks for the info. I think I'll start with 2 DTA boxes and go from there.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
audiodane

To return to the original question-- this Tivo (SD-H400) has a "power" button that puts the Tivo in standby/passthrough mode. I suppose my question is, if the Tivo is currently recording a program, can I put the Tivo in "standby" mode and watch the analog cable feed in passthrough while the Tivo continues to record in standby? Or does the Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo stop recording when in standby mode?

thanks,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

I know for sure it records in standby as I check every morning that both of my kids are in standby before I leave the house. This morning my Daughters was in standby and the record (Dora) light was on.

I have never tried it but I don't see why you could not change the channel on the TV and watch something else. I'm thinking that is why the pass thru is there. Set up a test recording and give it a shot.

Robb

Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
audiodane

Will do. Wanted to ask the question in case there were any other tricks I needed to play...

thanks,
..dane
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
audiodane

Yup-- worked like a champ.

cheers,
..dane
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #18
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Nice.

Robb

Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #19
joball70

toshiba sd h400 ota channels

I have tried to get ota channels on the toshiba using a digital tuner box but when i went into guide setup it gives options for: Cable only, satelite only, satelite and antenna, and antenna only.....Frustrating. Tivo doesnt offer cable AND antenna together in guide setup....where i can get both cable and antenna channels together along with program info at the same time. Am i missing something or is the software version out of date????
joball70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
kirkd

DTV converter to SD-H400

I'm a little confused on some of this old thread...

When a timed recording is scheduled, will the TiVo control the external, seperate digital receiver to tune to the right channel or will I have to change the channel output to the channel that needs to record?
Thanks if anyone is still reading this old thread!
kirkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkd View Post
I'm a little confused on some of this old thread...

When a timed recording is scheduled, will the TiVo control the external, seperate digital receiver to tune to the right channel or will I have to change the channel output to the channel that needs to record?
Thanks if anyone is still reading this old thread!
Use the IR blaster from the TiVo DVR to control the Digital To Analog converter box. Make sure you rerun guided setup on the TiVo so it can learn to control the converter box.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
kirkd

great answer curiousmark

never heard of an IR blaster..that is neat. Do any other TiVo models use the IR blaster? I'm looking to get an over the air Tivo and there seem to be quite a few with NTSC tuners...could be the cheap, easy way out!
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
never heard of an IR blaster..that is neat. Do any other TiVo models use the IR blaster? I'm looking to get an over the air Tivo and there seem to be quite a few with NTSC tuners...could be the cheap, easy way out!
Thanks.
All Series 1 and Series 2 models use IR blasters for controlling cable boxes, satellite boxes, cable company DTA boxes or Over The Air Digital Converter boxes. The series 2 units with two tuners are not designed for use with OtA Converter boxes, although they can be faked to work with some models.

All newer TiVo DVRs sport cable card slots and NONE of these will work with an outboard box or allow connection of an IR blaster cable.

For what you want to do, you will be limited to the older models, but they will work.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
kirkd

thanks again curiousMark

Great info. It's not necessarily what I want to do, but what I want to pay. I would rather have one box with onboard tuner, but I don't want to spend more that $200. I would like just a DVR for OTA recording but it seems the only way to do that is and older unit, series 1 and 2 (single tuner) with an IR blaster to DTV converter...
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
kirkd

Series 2

So I bought a series 2. I'm assuming it has and ATSC tuner...why can't i just hook the antenna directly into the TiVo? I tried, but it doesn't seem to work?

Using the Digital to analog converter, how would I trick the Tivo?
Thanks,
Kirk
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
lpwcomp

Quote:
So I bought a series 2. I'm assuming it has and ATSC tuner...why can't i just hook the antenna directly into the TiVo? I tried, but it doesn't seem to work?
Why did you assume that a series 2 has an ATSC tuner? The first Tivo with an ATSC tuner was the series 3. The series 4 Premiere and Premiere XL also have over-the-air ATSC tuners. The Premiere Elite/XL4 is cable only.

Quote:
Using the Digital to analog converter, how would I trick the Tivo?
Most of the series 2 TiVos have support for external ATSC tuners (the so called "coupon box"). You have to use an IR blaster to control it. Just do guided setup and select the external box that you have.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
kirkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Why did you assume that a series 2 has an ATSC tuner? The first Tivo with an ATSC tuner was the series 3. The series 4 Premiere and Premiere XL also have over-the-air ATSC tuners. The Premiere Elite/XL4 is cable only.

Most of the series 2 TiVos have support for external ATSC tuners (the so called "coupon box"). You have to use an IR blaster to control it. Just do guided setup and select the external box that you have.
I assumed mostly because of this weird little site run by a company called Tivo that makes the statement it has an ATSC tuner...weird, huh? Or the fact that the table they provide is useless.

htp://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300[/url]

and this strange little statement...** Series2 Single Tuner DVRs with the 542 Service Number Prefix DO NOT support antenna signal input.** well mine doesn't start with 542 so I "assume" that it does support antenna signal input. Hope that answers your question.

Now, back to my original question: Using the Digital to analog converter, how would I trick the Tivo?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
I assumed mostly because of this weird little site run by a company called Tivo that makes the statement it has an ATSC tuner...weird, huh? Or the fact that the table they provide is useless.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300
The only error I saw in that table was where it indicated that a Series 1 supports OTA ATSC.

Quote:
and this strange little statement...** Series2 Single Tuner DVRs with the 542 Service Number Prefix DO NOT support antenna signal input.** well mine doesn't start with 542 so I "assume" that it does support antenna signal input. Hope that answers your question.
Sorry, no it doesn't. You quoted the footnote but ignored the part of the footnoted entry that says "Requires digital converter box and software 9.2 and above". The footnote was just informing you that the 542 series single tuner doesn't support antenna input at all. It was the only single tuner model that didn't.

Quote:
Now, back to my original question: Using the Digital to analog converter, how would I trick the Tivo?
And I answered it earlier - you don't have to "trick" the TiVo. For the official TiVo instructions, go here. For a list of compatible converter boxes, go here.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

If you have a 542, then it doesn't support antenna input because when it was produced it didn't have a built in ATSC tuner as was required for antenna support by the FCC at the time of sale. It is pretty much no different than other series 2 single tuners made earlier. It is slightly crippled in software so that it would meet the FCC mandate. That crippilng means that it cannot officially work with a ATSC to NTSC converter box. However, it can be fooled if you have the right box.

There are threads from early months after your unit came out here at TCF that describe how to do what you want, but it will take some good search skills to unearth them. As I recall, the trick is to get a converter box that uses the same IR codes as a cable or sat box and then jump out of the setup wizard at the right point to have the TiVo get OTA guide information, but use this "cable/sat" box to tune it.

If you find a thread where this is being done by dual tuner owner, whatever worked for them will also work for your 542.