TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
angelsix

Question What Comcast/Xfinity services are NOT available with a TiVo box?

I'm looking at getting a TiVo box for use with Comcast. Formerly, On Demand was disabled for TiVo users, which was a deal breaker for me (and seems like it should have been an anti-trust violation, but I digress). Now, apparently, Comcast is no longer imposing that limitation. But, I'm worried that I'm missing something. I don't find on either the Comcast or the TiVo sites a statement that all of the Comcast/Xfinity TV services are now available to TiVo users. Of course, apparently the Comcast TV Guide wouldn't be available, because that's what the TiVo monthly service charge is for. Other than that, anybody know what (if any) benefits I'd be giving up by taking back Comcast's cable box, and getting a TiVo box instead?

P.s. I'd have posted the link to the Comcast TIVO FAQ page, except that this forum precludes people who have not already done at least 5 posts from including a URL.
angelsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
angelsix

Angry

I was just told that the link I would have posted is misleading, in that it referred to using the TiVo service through a Comcast cable box -- and the Comcast continues to disable On Demand for people using TiVo boxes. Grrrrr (not at TiVo, but at Comcast)

Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
JoeTaxpayer

The on-demand is what you give up.
You gain space (Comcast boxes I think are still 160GB, TiVo up to 2TB)
You gain ability to transfer shows from one TiVo to another or to PC or iPad, etc.
You gain ability to transfer show TO the TiVo. Like home movies or your iTunes library.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
angelsix

Comcast boxes go up to 500mb, although getting those is very difficult. 320mb is more common.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I'm not sure why you are upset with Comcast. Comcast is under no obligation to provide OnDemand content on a Tivo box. They don't even have the technical capability unless they work with Tivo.

That being said, what you are asking for is being worked on. Comcast will begin providing Premiere's to customers and OnDemand will be available on those boxes (you should assume that Amazon, Netflix, etc will NOT be available on the boxes received from Comcast directly so you will be at a disadvantage).

This box was announced a few months ago. Just keep in mind that the last time Tivo and Comcast worked on something they announced it in 2005. We didn't see a product until 2008 and they gave up on it almost immediately. It was implemented in one test market and never expanded. Let's hope things are different this time around.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
SNJpage1

I have found that going with a triple play deal from Comcast includes a comcast HD box as part of the price. At the time I also needed a second Comcast HD box for another TV set. It was only about $1 more to get one of their DVR box's instead of the straight HD box. I put the straight box that came as part of the package on the second TV and have their DVR and my TivoHD so I can switch back and forth between them on the main TV.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
erfisch

Here's my beef and everyone is dancing around the issue. Comcast advertised "on-demand" service and if you inquire with anyone in customer service it is "included in your monthly charge". THEREFORE, we are all paying for something that we are not and can not receive.

That, my fellow frustrated Comcast/TiVo fans is the gist of the problem. Comcast should cease and desist the false advertising. Ok, they'll put some disclaimer in the ads in font size no one can read, but the way I see it they owe all of us for the past amounts we paid for a service we didn't get.
erfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
angelsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfisch View Post
.... Comcast advertised "on-demand" service ... "included in your monthly charge". ... we paid for a service we didn't get.
Good point. What I don't understand is why Comcast seems to want us to be unhappy customers, by not making it easy for us to get full TIVO and Comcast services bundled together, for some reasonable price. Yesterday an ATT door-to-door salesman came by, telling us we now have fiber optic service available, and would also get one of ATT's much better DVR's (giving us DVR access through every other set in the house, for merely $7 / set). Didn't quite convince us to go through the hassle of a changeover, but we were much more interested than Comcast should have wanted us to be.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

OnDemand is coming...maybe?

In this thread Morac provides information and links that Comcast has committed to provide OnDemand access on the TiVo Premier series of DVRs and this is going to be rolled out to areas in waves.

I guess I'd have to say I'm even impressed that the Premier will even be able to handle the OnDemand service. Keep in mind that the OnDemand technology that Comcast provides is unique to their product, just like you can't use a Premier with Dish or DirecTV. I believe it is about the technology, not about Comcast not wanting to provide you the service.

I like the TiVo functionality so much better than the standard Comcast DVR that I wouldn't mind paying $8/month for a basic receiver to get the OnDemand until it's available on the Premier.
PrimeRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Sharon R.

Question newbie

I just bought a new 3d tv, joined this forum, and spent about an hour on the phone with comcast... so my head is exploding with trying to absorb new technology, but what PrimeRisk just said is consistent with what I'm understanding. If I want to continue to be able to use the on-demand services, I need to get a comcast box. I think I can continue to use my Tivo as my main interface, with the menues etc. that I know and love, but can switch over to the comcast remote and interface if I decide to watch On-demand content. I just have two pieces of equipment, whereas if I got the HD DVR box from Comcast both functions would be combined.

My problem is I have a series 2 Tivo and I don't think it works with HD. So my decision is should I buy a new Tivo for $99 and continue to pay the Tivo annual fee, or should I pay the extra $5.99/month to Comcast and be assimilated?
Sharon R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum. You are correct, your Series 2 only handles standard definition. To get a HD picture via TiVo you'd have to upgrade to a Series 3, HD, or Premiere. I think you'll find that after a little while with the Comcast DVR you'll be longing for your TiVo interface.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Sharon R.

Arrow Yup

Hi Prime,

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I've been reading a little more, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to just buy a Premiere. It seems like a small price to pay for not only the Tivo interface, but with this new TV and the dark rainy winter ahead, I'm going to want to stream more stuff from Netflix and other web sources. I'm already missing my Season Passes to all the new shows...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Lets be clear here.

Comcast makes its on-demand materials available online to customers through a PC, and this service is not disabled by your having a TiVo. There is just no way to access this content, at this time, through your TiVo.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Sharon R.

Just a note, I will not be upgrading to a Premiere after all. Maybe it was an unreasonable expectation, but still having half a year of subscription left on the old Tivo series 2, I thought there would be some way to credit some amount of my payment toward a month or two of service on the new Tivo. After three frustrating e-mail exchanges with customer support, it's clear I'm out of luck. I'm finding this comcast box isn't too terrible after all. If TiVo isn't interested in a token credit back to someone who was willing to buy a new TiVo and even a lifetime subscription for it, I'm not so interested in forking over my money.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Sharon,
Actually they're giving you a $100 credit automatically. Since you already have a subscribed TiVo, the lifetime subscription is only $399 instead of $499. I'm not sure what your subscription plan is at, but even if you are at the $19.95/month price, the $100 discount makes up for most of your remaining 6 months.

The way I look at it, Comcast charges $15.95/month to have their HD DVR. If you buy a Premiere for $99 + $399 lifetime sub, your break even point is under 3 years. If you take a monthly TiVo subscription at $19.95/month, then you're only paying $4 more per month to have the TiVo functionality; even less if you want more than 1 Premiere. For me, that's a good deal to get all of the additional TiVo functionality.

Last edited by PrimeRisk : 10-04-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Sharon R.

yeah, I see your point, financially, it's really more of a feel-good thing right now. In a few months when I'm heartily sick of Comcast I'll probably relent!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
rick430

will Tivo ever have a on Demand function with any cable card. hopefully soon
rick430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick430 View Post
will Tivo ever have a on Demand function with any cable card. hopefully soon
Comcast has committed to deliver On Demand to its TiVo Premiere customers.

Check out this article for more info:

http://news.cnet.com/tivo-to-add-com...0061069-1.html
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
TiredRetired

Comcast Tivo Premiere Ad

Vermont Republic
TiredRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Kham007

TiVo series 2 DVR Box

I just bought the TiVo 2 DVR at a garage sale
And was wondering if I need Tivo service to
connect to my Comcast cable and record programs?

Als, do I need a TiVo remote control to operate the
TiVo DVR?

Thanks
Kham007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
MagiMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kham007 View Post
I just bought the TiVo 2 DVR at a garage sale
And was wondering if I need Tivo service to
connect to my Comcast cable and record programs?

Als, do I need a TiVo remote control to operate the
TiVo DVR?

Thanks
Yes to both of your questions Kham007
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
1080p guy

How about HDPPV?

I could care less about On Demand (I have a much higher quality (my Premiere) tuner/DVR & a WD terabyte extender) I don't need it. I am a boxing fan , so the only way to see the top fights these days is through PPV. My Premiere/Comcast on screen guide lists PPV channels at various places on the guide but when selected the dreaded "searching for signal on this cable channel" message appears & will remain indefinitely unless the channel is changed. Any hope that I can receive PPV from Comcast? Has anyone explored this ?
1080p guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
blackngold75

Pretty sure you can order and watch pay-per-view on the Tivo. But, you can't order through the remote - you probably have to call in to order.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
Lrembrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRisk View Post
Sharon,
Actually they're giving you a $100 credit automatically. Since you already have a subscribed TiVo, the lifetime subscription is only $399 instead of $499. I'm not sure what your subscription plan is at, but even if you are at the $19.95/month price, the $100 discount makes up for most of your remaining 6 months.

The way I look at it, Comcast charges $15.95/month to have their HD DVR. If you buy a Premiere for $99 + $399 lifetime sub, your break even point is under 3 years. If you take a monthly TiVo subscription at $19.95/month, then you're only paying $4 more per month to have the TiVo functionality; even less if you want more than 1 Premiere. For me, that's a good deal to get all of the additional TiVo functionality.
FYI - Comcast will also hit you with a $6.00/month Cable card fee (Actually 8.50/month but they give you a $2.50/month credit for customer owned equipment.) Maybe that is waived for the 1st card? My comcast bill has Comcast DVR and Card fee(for our premier in another room). Is a 1st cable card free?
Lrembrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrembrey View Post
FYI - Comcast will also hit you with a $6.00/month Cable card fee (Actually 8.50/month but they give you a $2.50/month credit for customer owned equipment.) Maybe that is waived for the 1st card? My comcast bill has Comcast DVR and Card fee(for our premier in another room). Is a 1st cable card free?
There appears to be variation around this. My first bill from Comcast did NOT match what I was promised at all. I got a horror bill that was well over $200. After an hour or so on the phone with them we got it back to what I was promised on the phone.

Comcast is only charging me $1.50/month for Card #2 and #3 (#1 is included) and I'm getting the $2.50/month credit...so in the long run it's only costing $.50/month + $10/Month for HD which is included in your first HD receiver fee (total $10.50) to have the TiVos and I'd be paying $47.85/month ($15.95 x 3) if I used their sorry excuses for HD DVRs. I'm saving over $40/month when considering the taxes for having TiVos. Pretty good payback rate IMHO.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Lrembrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRisk View Post
There appears to be variation around this. My first bill from Comcast did NOT match what I was promised at all. I got a horror bill that was well over $200. After an hour or so on the phone with them we got it back to what I was promised on the phone.

Comcast is only charging me $1.50/month for Card #2 and #3 (#1 is included) and I'm getting the $2.50/month credit...so in the long run it's only costing $.50/month + $10/Month for HD which is included in your first HD receiver fee (total $10.50) to have the TiVos and I'd be paying $47.85/month ($15.95 x 3) if I used their sorry excuses for HD DVRs. I'm saving over $40/month when considering the taxes for having TiVos. Pretty good payback rate IMHO.
I am hearing tha Comcast is very inconsistent on how they charge/bill... My local seems to hit for the $6 "outlet" fee. This is how my bill looks now with a Comcast DVR, Tivo premier and 2 DTA boxes.
Hd/dvr Service(includes HD Technology Fee) $9.95This to me looks like thier $15.95charge - $6.00 "free device" included in triple play package.

Digital Additional Outlet Service (includes Equipment) $8.00
(elswhere on bill)->Customer-owned Equipment Adjustment -$2.50
So there is a $6.00 outlet fee for cable card.

Then I have 2 lines with $0.00 for my DTA's

So if I look at this right I could cancel my HD DVR which saves me $9.95, get a free cable card to put into another Tivo Premier? So a second premier in essence is only $5.00 more than I pay now? (14.95/month sub for second unit from Tivo)
Lrembrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrembrey View Post
I am hearing tha Comcast is very inconsistent on how they charge/bill... My local seems to hit for the $6 "outlet" fee. This is how my bill looks now with a Comcast DVR, Tivo premier and 2 DTA boxes.
Hd/dvr Service(includes HD Technology Fee) $9.95This to me looks like thier $15.95charge - $6.00 "free device" included in triple play package.

Digital Additional Outlet Service (includes Equipment) $8.00
(elswhere on bill)->Customer-owned Equipment Adjustment -$2.50
So there is a $6.00 outlet fee for cable card.

Then I have 2 lines with $0.00 for my DTA's

So if I look at this right I could cancel my HD DVR which saves me $9.95, get a free cable card to put into another Tivo Premier? So a second premier in essence is only $5.00 more than I pay now? (14.95/month sub for second unit from Tivo)

I'd be challenging them about the $8 for the additional outlet "with equipment"...that's what they charge to put their HD cable box on a set. You own your equipment and shouldn't have to pay that. Sometimes it just takes getting to the right person that understands how to setup your account correctly.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #28
Silvester
My SmartCar

Is anybody able to access Comcast "on-demand" with a TiVo Premiere?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #29
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
Is anybody able to access Comcast "on-demand" with a TiVo Premiere?
No. This is not yet an available option. This forum is for a dead product that is no longer available. It was only made available in one test market. It is a Motorola box with Tivo software running on it. That box can access OnDemand.

Tivo and Comcast have made an announcement several months back that they would be offering Premieres.

To put things in perspective. Tivo and Comcast made their first deal in 2005. We didn't see a product until 2008. They only released the product in one market and in 2011 they killed it off completely. Part of me expects them to call my mom and ask for it back. There can't be more than a few thousand units out there. I'd love to see actual sales figures. It was a total failure.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #30
TooMuchTime

Quote:
Comcast makes its on-demand materials available online to customers through a PC, and this service is not disabled by your having a TiVo. There is just no way to access this content, at this time, through your TiVo.
This is why I have a computer attached to my TV as well as my TiVo. I just switch to the computer, go to Comcast, and view any On Demand contect I wish. Much easier (and less costly) than having both a Comcast DVR and a TiVo.
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote