I have been a loyal TiVo customer for over 11 years now and have owned just about every TiVo box from Series 1 thru my most recent purchase 3 weeks ago of a TiVo Premiere box. BUT, I have had the worst time with getting all the features to work on my Premiere box and the main reason is what Tech Support tells me are missing "Groups". I have no idea what exactly these "Groups" are, but its something that the TiVo 3rd level Engineers have to enable for my box. Why the "Groups" were not there when the box was shipped to me from TiVo is beyond me also.
Here are a list of problems that I have had due to missing "Groups":
1) I could not get the HD menu's and Discovery Bar to work for almost a full week after setting up my Premiere box. Took numerous calls to TiVo Tech support to bug them. Just got a lot of BS as to why it took so long.
2) I was using a My DVR Expander with my prior TiVo HD box. I "unpaired" it from the TiVo HD and hooked it up to the TiVo Premiere. The Premiere recognized the DVR Expander and was suppose to go thru some setup menu's to reformat the HD and make it usable, but TiVo Premiere just gave me some error message. When I called TiVo Tech Support they once again told me that I am missing some more "Groups". I have been going on 5 days now with TiVo Tech support stalling me and saying they are working on the problem.
3) Used TiVo To Go (PC Desktop program) on my prior TiVo HD box. BUT, of course it will not work at all with my TiVo Premiere. Care to guess what TiVo Tech support told me the reason why is? YUP, once again, I am missing "Groups".
4) I can not get the Whole House DVR function to work and transfer shows from one TiVo box to the other (either from HD to Premiere or vice versa). At least Tech Support did not blame this one on missing "Groups". BUT, they gave me a complicated explanation of my Router not allowing certain ports, even though one of the TiVo menu's tests the ports and all my Ports that are needed are open and working. I gave up on this problem and decided not to use the feature ... too much trouble to resolve it and TiVo Tech support has worn me down with spending literally 5 to 7 hours on the phone with them so far (for all problems together above).
Question for anybody
- Has anybody else been told they are having problems with "Groups" missing that TiVo Tech support has to add for them first? Any explanation in Layman's terms of what these "groups" are?
As I said at the beginning of this post, I have been a loyal TiVo customer for over 11 years, but given my horrible experience in getting this Premiere box to work and Tech Support being so slow to help me, this may be the last TiVo that I buy!