TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Austin Bike

Can't get Tivo Desktop 2.83 on my pc

I haven't used tivo desktop plus in a long time. I once bought a plus key.

I tried to get the latest 2.83 to install on my PC. The free version installs, but there is nowhere to add my plus key. The website says it is on the help menu, but it is not there.

I installed 2.80 and I am able to put in my plus key and everything works. But, it only has conversion for the iphone, not the ipad. When I ask it to check for updates, it says this is the latest version.

The website won't let me download 2.83 unless I give them another $25, which I am not about to do, I already have paid them once.

Arrrrrrgh.....

So, how do I get myself out of this mess? I need to convert a bunch of stuff for a flight to china tomorrow. Not the end of the world, but would be great to have.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
mreaves53

Call TiVo

My computer crashed awhile back and I had to reinstall TiVo Desktop. Tivo charged me for a new key and then refunded the amount. Call TiVo and explain the problem. They will help.

Good Luck
WD Live TV Media Player
Phillips HDD DVD recorder
LG NAS
Slingbox Pro HD
Toshiba Thrive
mreaves53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
I haven't used tivo desktop plus in a long time. I once bought a plus key.

I tried to get the latest 2.83 to install on my PC. The free version installs, but there is nowhere to add my plus key. The website says it is on the help menu, but it is not there.

I installed 2.80 and I am able to put in my plus key and everything works. But, it only has conversion for the iphone, not the ipad. When I ask it to check for updates, it says this is the latest version.

The website won't let me download 2.83 unless I give them another $25, which I am not about to do, I already have paid them once.

Arrrrrrgh.....

So, how do I get myself out of this mess? I need to convert a bunch of stuff for a flight to china tomorrow. Not the end of the world, but would be great to have.
If you don't have the new DirecTiVo, you only need 2.8.2, 'cause 2.8.3 is just 2.8.2 with stuff added to let it work with the new satellite model that finally came out.

Uninstall, use the pre-2.8.2 cleaner to further uninstall, and then install 2.8.2

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Austin Bike

Where can I download 2.8.2?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Where can I download 2.8.2?
Is TiVo no longer offering it?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Austin Bike

All of their links are to 2.8.3, when I google "tivo desktop 2.8.2 download" I don't get anything useful.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Austin Bike

OK, found it on softpedia. Installed it, there is an option for converting to ipad
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
OK, found it on softpedia. Installed it, there is an option for converting to ipad
Does it let you add your plus key?

(all of my experience is with the free version, I try to watch TV on the TV 'cause I'm a dinosaur)

Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

The upgrade option should be on the Help menu. It's not there?

Attached Images
File Type: png tdp-upgrade.png (64.1 KB, 126 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does it let you add your plus key?

(all of my experience is with the free version, I try to watch TV on the TV 'cause I'm a dinosaur)
Yes, the 2.8.2 download that I used did have that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The upgrade option should be on the Help menu. It's not there?

The 2.8.3 free download does not give you that option. Trust me, I went through those menus a dozen times.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That's weird. I am currently running the free 2.8.3 and it has the upgrade option in the help menu.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, and I'm running 2.8.3 upgraded to Plus and it still shows up for me (hence how I took that screenshot).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
ggieseke

Me too.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
All of their links are to 2.8.3, when I google "tivo desktop 2.8.2 download" I don't get anything useful.
You need to play around with the link on TiVo's website. The default link points to TiVoDesktop.exe but then redirects to TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe.

But there is nothing keeping you from manually changing the link in your browser and getting the older version. I just did so. Running "strings" on the binary gets me
d:\build\b-tivo-desktop-2-8-2\b-tivo-desktop-2-8-2\author\Install\Setup\Release\Setup.pdb
which is definitely different than the default
d:\build\b-tivo-desktop-2-8-3\b-tivo-desktop-2-8-3\author\Install\Setup\Release\Setup.pdb

The link to the old binary is
http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivot...sktop2.8.2.exe

The jumping off point to get to the default link (for those interested in this minutia) is
http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivo-acc...desktoppc.html
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
miller890

I am experiencing a similar challenge where I reinstalled Windows 7. Attempted to install both 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 but when I click on the menu option to enter my plus key the tivo desktop becomes unresponsive. I noticed when I use the task manager to kill TD, there is a window saying waiting for user input that quickly flashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen time. I have deleted 'tivo' entries in the registery. Stopped every running application prior to install. Same thing every time. What is this cleaner? What else should I try? I don't mean to hijack, seems like it could be related.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
I am experiencing a similar challenge where I reinstalled Windows 7. Attempted to install both 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 but when I click on the menu option to enter my plus key the tivo desktop becomes unresponsive. I noticed when I use the task manager to kill TD, there is a window saying waiting for user input that quickly flashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen time. I have deleted 'tivo' entries in the registery. Stopped every running application prior to install. Same thing every time. What is this cleaner? What else should I try? I don't mean to hijack, seems like it could be related.
The cleaner removes stuff that a regular uninstall may leave behind. It may help.
http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivot...topCleaner.zip

It sounds like a dialog box is popping up but it's offscreen. Have you ever had multiple monitors? The following instructions should let you get it back onscreen.

1. Bring up the dialog box again. You want to make sure that the dialog IS for sure open and is the currently active window.
2. Don't touch your mouse...Press Alt+Spacebar.
3. At this point you may see a drop down window open up....If not it's still open, it's just off screen too. I've seen this happen both ways.
4. If you can see the drop down use your keyboard arrow keys and highlight "move" and press enter. If you can't see the drop down...Hit the down arrow once and press enter. "Move" is usually the second item from the top of the list.
5. Now you need to lock the window to your mouse. You can do this by hitting the "left" arrow key on your keyboard (at this point you still have not touched your mouse again).
6. Now you should be able to move your mouse and the window will be locked to it. So you can move the window back on screen.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
miller890

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
It sounds like a dialog box is popping up but it's offscreen. Have you ever had multiple monitors? The following instructions should let you get it back onscreen.
Bingo. I had a second DVI cable run to a second monitor the work monitor that I ended up never using. I previously had the second monitor disabled, but when I reinstalled Windows 7 it detected the monitor and created a split screen. The upgrade popup window was going to the other monitor. Thanks.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote