TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Johncv

I can get Amazon Prime Instant Videos…..

On the Playstation 3.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Chris Gerhard

Yes, I saw that message today, not sure if I will sign up for Amazon Prime again but I do think it is a good service.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Yes, I saw that message today, not sure if I will sign up for Amazon Prime again but I do think it is a good service.
If they get it on iOS.... bye bye Netflix.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
If they get it on iOS.... bye bye Netflix.
Problem is that Netflix still has many times more content for streaming than Amazon Prime does.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Problem is that Netflix still has many times more content for streaming than Amazon Prime does.
... and yet Amazon seems to be continually adding much more as Netflix seems to be watching their available selections go away.

Personally, I'm very happy to have the competition between them and happy that Amazon has added a ton of choices that I am interested in. I wish that the interface was better for selecting what I want to see, but I do see the amount of content going up and am seeing a ton of stuff that I do like get added into the selections, so I really can't complain about something that is an added benefit for me anyway
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
... and yet Amazon seems to be continually adding much more as Netflix seems to be watching their available selections go away.

Personally, I'm very happy to have the competition between them and happy that Amazon has added a ton of choices that I am interested in. I wish that the interface was better for selecting what I want to see, but I do see the amount of content going up and am seeing a ton of stuff that I do like get added into the selections, so I really can't complain about something that is an added benefit for me anyway
The net loss of actual streaming titles on Netflix was a few hundred.

I use both Netflix and Amazon(I recently signed back up for Prime after letting it lapse a few months ago). But I'm continually finding more content on Netflix than Amazon.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yep, that might be true now. However, I still don't care... still kinda ticked about the DVD deal and how they screwed everyone with that.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I wish that the interface was better for selecting what I want to see
I agree. I would miss the queue feature but would live with it for the savings.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Chris Gerhard

I don't have either Netflix or Amazon Prime now, both look like great services for the price to me. The free expedited shipping makes Amazon Prime the one I will use when I catch up and need a pay service. I have more on my TiVo and Google TV to watch lists than I can watch in the next year.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
ct1

I have a PS3 and already have Prime. I flipped through a lot of the online stuff, and I see a lot of good movies and shows, just not anything I really want to watch.

I'll go back to Netflix where I still have a bunch in my queue to watch.
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Yep, that might be true now. However, I still don't care... still kinda ticked about the DVD deal and how they screwed everyone with that.
With me they lowered my price by 5 or 6%. I was extremely pleased when they made their price changes last year. At the time I ended up paying less for the same BD rentals and streaming services.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
magnus
Tivo User

I believe I was paying 7.99 for unlimited streaming and 1 DVD at a time.

Now, I'm paying 9.99 for unlimited streaming.

I'm not sure how that is supposed to be paying less and getting more. They certainly did not help me with their new pricing structure.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I'm not sure how that is supposed to be paying less and getting more. They certainly did not help me with their new pricing structure.
When I go to the price list on my account, a streaming only plan is $7.99. You should contact them if you are paying $9.99 for streaming only.
I know with all the disc rental plans, adding streaming to it also just adds $7.99 to the price.

With the price changes last year, the top three or four plans had either no price change or a price decrease.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Chris Gerhard

Not related to Amazon Prime but I just checked Amazon for the 99 cent rental today and found nothing, instead I found the first episodes of dozens of TV series are available to own for free. I selected one first episode, Justified, and it started to download to my TiVo. I am not sure how to approach handing this deal, several series might be of interest but I don't really want to fill up the TiVos, instead just want to watch the episodes at some future date and if I like them, figure out how to watch the rest of the first season, not requiring a purchase. Can I just go to my Amazon account, buy all of the ones I want for $.00 and then watch whenever I want using a TiVoHD or PS3?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=3316661011
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
poppagene

If you are already using Playon as a media server, then you can access free Amazon Instant Prime on your Tivo using a variant of pytivo.

See: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...ler-t1610.html

and http://pytivo-jkasyan-fork.googlecod...etupPyTivo.exe
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
poppagene

Quote:

It was the other way around. You were paying $9.99 for one dvd and streaming and now you're paying $7.99 for streaming alone.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
Not related to Amazon Prime but I just checked Amazon for the 99 cent rental today and found nothing, instead I found the first episodes of dozens of TV series are available to own for free. I selected one first episode, Justified, and it started to download to my TiVo. I am not sure how to approach handing this deal, several series might be of interest but I don't really want to fill up the TiVos, instead just want to watch the episodes at some future date and if I like them, figure out how to watch the rest of the first season, not requiring a purchase. Can I just go to my Amazon account, buy all of the ones I want for $.00 and then watch whenever I want using a TiVoHD or PS3?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=3316661011
If you "1-Click" purchase the free episodes they will become part of your video library and you can then download them when ever (note it takes awhile to have them show up in your video library). At least that is how it worked in the past I just check my video library and the free episodes I "purchased" in the past where still there and available for download.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If you "1-Click" purchase the free episodes they will become part of your video library and you can then download them when ever (note it takes awhile to have them show up in your video library). At least that is how it worked in the past I just check my video library and the free episodes I "purchased" in the past where still there and available for download.
Thanks, that is exactly how it worked and my 2 TiVos show up in my Amazon account.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
LisaJaco

Not sure if this needs its own thread, but I have a PS3 and I am also a Prime member.

I was browsing through the selections available on Prime. I can watch the entire season 1 of Mad Men in HD for 19.99 through Prime, yet I can purchase the Season 1 BluRay for 16.99.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Wouldn't one rather buy the hard copy so you have it available to watch over and over, with extras, and lend to friends, opposed to streaming through Prime for a limited time, at a greater expense?

hmmmm.....
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
Not sure if this needs its own thread, but I have a PS3 and I am also a Prime member.

I was browsing through the selections available on Prime. I can watch the entire season 1 of Mad Men in HD for 19.99 through Prime, yet I can purchase the Season 1 BluRay for 16.99.

Wouldn't one rather buy the hard copy so you have it available to watch over and over, with extras, and lend to friends, opposed to streaming through Prime for a limited time, at a greater expense?

hmmmm.....
You would not be watching Mad Men using Amazon Prime Instant Video if it costs $19.99, that would have to be Amazon Instant Video, all Prime programs are free streaming. Yes, the prices are often cockamamie and that is just one example of thousands. The Blu-ray purchase is a deal in my opinion, the Amazon Instant Video rental is not but not everybody has a Blu-ray player and some may be willing to pay that price to rent the show, just not me and apparently not you and most everybody else.

The good news is we get to chose what we rent and what we buy.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
LisaJaco

Quote:
You would not be watching Mad Men using Amazon Prime Instant Video if it costs $19.99, that would have to be Amazon Instant Video, all Prime programs are free streaming. Yes, the prices are often cockamamie and that is just one example of thousands. The Blu-ray purchase is a deal in my opinion, the Amazon Instant Video rental is not but not everybody has a Blu-ray player and some may be willing to pay that price to rent the show, just not me and apparently not you and most everybody else.

The good news is we get to chose what we rent and what we buy.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Duh. It has to say "Prime" in order for it to be free streaming. And I should know this! but I think I prematurely ejaculated when I saw the announcement and assumed it would all be price-worthy.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
poppagene

Quote:

hmmmm.....
Wrong -- the HD version is $29.99 at Amazon, $19.99 is for the SD version. Not everyone has a blu ray player available, but most on this forum have a Tivo. The better choice for you if you stream netflix is Netflix since seasons 1-4 are available for free instant streaming on netflix.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
LisaJaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Wrong -- the HD version is $29.99 at Amazon, $19.99 is for the SD version. Not everyone has a blu ray player available, but most on this forum have a Tivo. The better choice for you if you stream netflix is Netflix since seasons 1-4 are available for free instant streaming on netflix.
Strange, but my account now shows says 16.49 Bluray and you are right, it is 29.99 HD instant video, not 19.99, which is an even bigger price gap.

Might have to look into Netflix...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Strange, but my account now shows says 16.49 Bluray and you are right, it is 29.99 HD instant video, not 19.99, which is an even bigger price gap.

Might have to look into Netflix...
At those prices for a season, I often buy the Blu-ray version, watch it then sell it. Selling things is a pain but Blu-ray quality is so much better than Netflix streaming, it is worth the hassle to me.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
LisaJaco

Quote:
At those prices for a season, I often buy the Blu-ray version, watch it then sell it. Selling things is a pain but Blu-ray quality is so much better than Netflix streaming, it is worth the hassle to me.
What sucks is I am paying for OnDemand, but every time I check AMC listings, they're always airing Mad Men season 2 or 3, never 1. I want to start from the beginning.

Youre not by any chance selling yours used, are you? hahaha
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
What sucks is I am paying for OnDemand, but every time I check AMC listings, they're always airing Mad Men season 2 or 3, never 1. I want to start from the beginning.

Youre not by any chance selling yours used, are you? hahaha
Ha, I have it but haven't watched it yet, would certainly sell it if I had. I haven't even opened it yet. I did just finish The Walking Dead Blu-ray Season 1 and will sell it soon. I have some deluxe version of that and plan to see what special features it includes before trying to sell it. I normally don't watch extras but will take a look at that one since I paid more for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Be careful on 1-click purchasing though as there are titles that are "Free" for prime members but otherwise would cost $$. If you aren't instant streaming for free and instead you 1-click purchase you will be charged the sale price rather than the "free" or "0" (zero) cost that it would be if you were just instantly streaming.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Sometimes amazon will change prices several times a day. And more often several times a week.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just tried the Amazon streaming on the PS3. A major fail. It's sending out 7.1 audio with stereo content so no post processing can be applied. So instead of having having ProLogic IIx Cinema applied and getting audio from all channels, it's only sending audio from the FL and FR with the other channels dead.. I'm guessing a 5.1 title will do the same thing. Dead space on the R/L rear channels since no post processing can be applied. The UI is nice, but with the Borked audio, for purchased content, the TiVo easily beats it. Since the TiVo sends the audio out properly.

I wish they would correct these issues. It's just like the crappy Revue box. Sending stereo audio in a 7.1 wrapper. That makes no sense.

EDIT: And 5.1 is the same way. It's being sent in a 7.1 wrapper. Netflix works fine. It sends out stereo or 5.1 audio properly but the Amazon app is borked. Major Fail.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #30
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
On the Playstation 3.
Now all we need is HBO Go on the PS3!!

Incredible how the PS3 system provides so many services without recurring fees (unlike XBOX and Tivo)

BTW: Tivo should rebrand the "One-Box" as the "Un-Box" since they can't seem to add/enhance video on demand services despite being paid for their service. Tivo should really partner with Roku and include their hardware&streaming apps in the next Tivo and also with Slingbbox for place-shifting. Then they could legitimately call it a one-box.
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote