TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
That's a good point. I think my favorite episode is Carousel with the slide projector. The advertising made the show special because it touched things that we remember using or buying or from the radio/tv/magazine.
Wasn't that the pilot (first episode... don't know if they called it the pilot)? At least it was one of the first few eps of the series.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I could have sworn the line was his place or perhaps he has a place within walking distance.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #33
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Wasn't that the pilot (first episode... don't know if they called it the pilot)? At least it was one of the first few eps of the series.
Last episode of the first season. It was actually called "the Wheel". I think Carousel is what the ad men came up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
It was the Season 1 finale, "The Wheel", when, after giving that pitch, he returned home to an empty house since Betty had left with the kids to go to her family's thanksgiving.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #35
Peter000

Thanks. This got me watching the first ep, anyway.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
markymark_ctown

I enjoyed watching Pete get beat up and c*ck blocked in driving school. He's such a tool...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

I'm a bit surprised Pete's wife wasn't upset when she found out Pete still had the rifle (since I remember them playing back her comments in the background when she found out he exchanged the chip-n-dip for it)
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #38
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
I just listened to it and I did not hear a "he." Unless it was under her breath or something. It sounded something like... "A friend of mine has a place, may be more of what you're looking for."

I don't have subtitles on my copy.
I had subtitles on but they're crappy however I'm pretty sure the madam either said "he" or the subtitles did. That elicited a "Whoa!" reaction from me. It wouldn't have registered much if she'd left it neutral.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Also interesting how Roger was upset at Ken for writing after-hours, when Roger's own writing efforts were happening during work hours, with his work secretary (before Lane got rid of Roger's secretary as a cost measure)
Although it could be argued that Roger Sterling's autobiography could be viewed as a marketing piece for the firm, whereas Ken's writing was certainly not. Also, as a partner, Roger is afforded much more leeway, while Ken is expected to eat, sleep, and drink his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Did it seem to anyone else that Megan didn't like the idea of having a kid - the daughter Don thought would be a great idea?
When she responded with, "That's impossible," my first reaction was that she's been "fixed" because she never wants to have kids. That would be an interesting storyline for them to pursue.

Had we previously seen anything about the "pact" between Peggy and Ken to take each other with them if either of them decided to look for a new job at another firm? That kind of surprised me, because I feel like Don Draper has really been a big help to Peggy, and it seems odd to me that she'd want to potentially leave and go somewhere else where she doesn't have that protector/mentor to watch over her.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #40
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I could have sworn the line was his place or perhaps he has a place within walking distance.
I definitely heard that. The Madam was offering Don male companionship.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #41
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So this episode was all about the many different ways Pete was emasculated. Will this lead to something storywise, or was this just a way to pay the viewers back for all the time they've had to put up with the weaselly Campbell?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
Loved this episode for everything here plus great direction. Interesting cuts such as Ken opens door to leave Peggy's office cut to Lane opening the door to let Rodger in his office. And steamy car stop pan up dissolve to office typewriter.
There was also a smooth transition from a zoom into a close-up of Pete at the end of one scene (Roger & Pete after speaking to Lane about his "date" with the Jaguar guy) to him in the same position at the opening of the next scene (at the driving school just before "Handsome" enters).

Don having to change into his (awful) plaid sport coat for the dinner party in the country ... then Megan shouting "Cynthia!" when Ken's wife was finally named ... LOL!

The lobster bibs during the dinner with the Jaguar guy before treating him to some fun. Did they have crabs? Uhh, I mean for dinner, of course!

I was expecting a car accident when Don was getting frisky with Megan driving home after the party, since it would've tied in with the movie clip at the beginning and Pete's storyline about the driving school flirtation with the Scarlett Johannson doppelganger.

Everything about the fight scene was hilarious ... the other guys' excitement, Draper drawing the drapes (that's what a "draper" does, right? ).

I seem to recall when they introduced Lane in a previous season that he had referred to his fighting skills at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getreal : 04-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I still can't get over the fact that the actor playing Lane is also playing Jones, the big bad on Fringe.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
getreal
postcrastinator

"Well, if there's something you can't find here, a friend of mine has an apartment -- maybe more what you're looking for -- and he's walking distance."

Pete sure seemed pretty comfortable with the hooker. He's clearly done that before ...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
I had subtitles on but they're crappy however I'm pretty sure the madam either said "he" or the subtitles did. That elicited a "Whoa!" reaction from me. It wouldn't have registered much if she'd left it neutral.
Yeah, listen again. I listened to it three times before writing my initial post. She never says "he."
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #46
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
I enjoyed watching Pete get beat up and c*ck blocked in driving school. He's such a tool...
What was Pete thinking anyway... She's in high school! The character is pretty nasty already and they keep piling it on. I'm not sure what the point is.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

When we first saw Pete in traffic school fantasizing about the girl, I thought for sure he was just dreaming of the days when he was in HS and taking driver's ed. It wasn't until later in the episode that I realized he was really taking driver's ed in 1966 and fantasizing about a HS girl. Not only fantasizing, but also asking her out and trying to act on that fantasy. Very creepy.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #48
john4200

Quote:
Yeah, listen again. I listened to it three times before writing my initial post. She never says "he."
Wrong.

"...and he's walking distance".

No doubt about it. I heard it the first time I watched, and I just checked it again.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #49
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
"Well, if there's something you can't find here, a friend of mine has an apartment -- maybe more what you're looking for -- and he's walking distance."
Quote:
I typed out her quote exactly as she said it. She definitely said "... and HE'S walking distance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Wrong.

"...and he's walking distance".

No doubt about it. I heard it the first time I watched, and I just checked it again.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #50
nyny523
Oy

OK - did anyone else get the title reference as it tied in with Pete's age? When the series started, he was 24 (that was 1960), and here we are in 1966, Pete is 30 and already experiencing a mid-life crisis. He moved to the suburbs with his wife and kid and hates himself and his life. An interesting contrast to Don, who experienced his own mid-life crisis, remarried, moved FROM the suburbs back into Manhattan and is truly happy for probably the first time in his life.

This episode was all about the Men, which I thought was wonderful and fascinating. Plumbing, fisticuffs, a visit to a whorehouse - the whole nine yards. Pete was SO proud of himself that he fixed that leak, only to have Don quickly save the day and let him know he had done in wrong. Laine, who Pete thinks is some kind of pansy, beats the crap out of him. The young girl - someone whom Pete might have easily conquered years ago, has no interest in him and ends up with the hunky classmate. And Pete, who thinks he is better at his job than anyone else, losses the account. So he basically fails at everything, all in one episode. And Don sees so much of himself at the same age, and tries to help him, but to no avail.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #51
stellie93

I don't think driver's ed was required in the 60's, and even if it was, a big ad exec would go to a private school, not the local high school. Unless he was thinking about meeting underage girls to start with. Trudy is a little annoying, but no way she deserves Pete.

Kind of sad in the elevator when he says,"we're all supposed to be friends" Where'd you get that idea, Pete?

I bet there was not one person watching this show who was rooting for Pete. Go Lane.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #52
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Kind of sad in the elevator when he says,"we're all supposed to be friends" Where'd you get that idea, Pete?
I actually expected Don to say something to that effect. I think Don's look basically conveyed that message.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #53
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I just rewatched it with subtitles and she most definitely says:

A friend of mine has a place...
He's walking distance...

When I watched it the first time I was pretty sure the implication was a gay whore house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

She: Oh, honey, you've had such a hard day
He: Nope
She: Umm...this is my first time. I'm kind of nervous.
He: Nope
She: You're my king.
He: Okay
So funny - I didn't hear "You're my king."
I thought she said You're making....

I wonder what SIGNAL 30 refers to...?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #54
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I wonder what SIGNAL 30 refers to...?
It's the name of the film they were watching in Pete's driver's ed class.

http://archive.org/details/Signal301959
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #55
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

She was definitely offering up the company of gentlemen.

I loved Don's expression when it became clear they were going to fight.

A grimy little pimp, indeed.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #56
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
...I for one, wasn't all that enamored by this episode....
Nor was I....with the lone exception being the fight.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #57
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
... And steamy car stop pan up dissolve to office typewriter.
Correction -- that's tilt up; not pan. Panning is left and right. Tilting is up and down. TV 101...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #58
lpamelaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So this episode was all about the many different ways Pete was emasculated. Will this lead to something storywise, or was this just a way to pay the viewers back for all the time they've had to put up with the weaselly Campbell?
Pete is like Don 10 years ago, except that he can't handle his disappointments/failings with grace. Don was stoic and a master of spin. Pete is the anti-Don.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #59
Fahtrim

I was literally laughing out loud when the Laine started rolling up his sleeves, and the look on Pete's face. Then the pan around the room and the other guys just wanting to see it.

Then Don closing the drapes, lol, that was awesome.

Clearly an invitation for a gay encounter from the madam to Don. Don was great, Pete was well acted as a loser

Loved it.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #60
tiams

Don (Dick) was quick to correct Cynthia and give the correct last name for the mass murderer Charles Whitman (also his own last name).

Something bad is going to happen with that rifle of Pete's.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote